2012 Summer Olympics Thread: London July 27 - August 12

article on the problems the US will face in the 4x 100 freestyle relay (swimming):

U.S. 400 Freestyle Relay Could Be in Big Trouble -- June 28, 2012

OMAHA, Nebraska, June 28. IS it time to be concerned about the United States' men's 400 freestyle relay? Absolutely. It was one thing to see a sluggish preliminary session at the Olympic Trials, but when the semifinals didn't produce anything noteworthy, or much depth, the red flag shot into the air at the CenturyLink Center.

At a time when a contending country for the gold medal needs to have at least one 47-point performer, the United States failed to inspire. Only Nathan Adrian and Jimmy Feigen managed to race below 48.50, and barely achieved that feat. Adrian led the way into the championship final with a clocking of 48.33 while Feigen checked in at 48.48.

Perhaps we'll see some faster results when Olympic bids are on the line in the final, but optimism isn't exactly in the air. The next-best times behind Adrian and Feigen came from Matt Grevers (48.71) and Ricky Berens (48.85). Really, the rest of the world must be feeling pretty good about toppling the United States, especially Australia.

At the Aussie Trials in March, James Magnussen and James Roberts threw down the gauntlet with respective times of 47.10 and 47.63. More important, they were backed up by strong showings from Matt Targett (48.32) and Eamon Sullivan (48.53). Remember, the times of Targett and Sullivan are for the third- and fourth-place finishers.

http://www.swimmingworldm...-Could-Be-in-Big-Trouble

With France and Russia boasting solid lineups, a failure by the United States to find some magic could actually lead to a missed podium. Never in Olympic history, barring the 1980 Games, has the United States failed to medal in the 400 free relay. Of course, 1980 was the yea

This girl Gabby is so explosive on them bars. I'm going for her now...Her and my girl Sacramone, of course.

Originally Posted by AEA18

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

The only time I'll be cheering for Lebron 
laugh.gif
sick.gif

USA basketball, track and field, and boxing
True 
laugh.gif
miami_heat-haters_gonna_hate_display_image.jpg

Women's Gymnastics Floor Exercise

Alexandra Raisman of the U.S.A. celebrates winning a gold medal with silver medalist Romania's Catalina Ponor and bronze medalist Russia's Aliya Mustafina

Women's Gymnastics Balance Beam

China's Deng Linlin celebrates winning a gold medal, with silver medalist China's Sui Lu, and bronze medalist Alexandra Raisman of the U.S.A.

Women's Pole Vault

Gold medalist Jennifer Suhr of the U.S.A., silver medalist Cuba's Yarisley Silva, and bronze medalist Russia's Yelena Isinbayeva

Women's 100-meter

Women's 200-meter

Women's 400-meter

Silver medalist Christine Ohuruogu of Great Britain, gold medalist Sanya Richards-Ross of the United States and bronze medalist DeeDee Trotter of the United States

Women's 100-meter Hurdles

Silver medalist Dawn Harper of the United States, gold medalist Sally Pearson of Australia and bronze medalist Kellie Wells of the United States

Women's 400-meter Hurdles

Women's Beach Volleyball

Gold medalists Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings celebrate on the podium during the medal ceremony for the Women's Beach Volleyball on Day 12 of the London 2012 Olympic Games

Silver medalists Jennifer Kessy and April Ross of the United States celebrate on the podium during the medal ceremony for the Women's Beach Volleyball on Day 12 of the London 2012 Olympic Games

Women's Long Jump

Men's High Jump

Bronze medalists Qatar's Mutaz Essa Barshim, Britain's Robert Grabarz ,and Canada's Derek Drouin, Russia's gold medalist Ivan Ukhov, and United States' silver medalist Erik Kynard

Men's 100-meter

Gold medalist Jamaica's Usain Bolt poses with silver medalist Jamaica's Yohan Blake and bronze medalist Justin Gatlin of the United States.

Men's 200-meter

Men's 400-meter

Grenada's gold medalist Kirani James, silver medalist Dominican Republic's Luguelin Santos, and bronze medalist Trinidad and Tobago's Lalonde Gordon

Men's 110-meter Hurdles

Men's 400-meter Hurdles

Silver medalist Michael Tinsley of the United States, gold medalist Felix Sanchez of Dominican Republic and Bronze medalist Javier Culson of Puerto Rico

Last edited:
So Phelps just beat Lochte in the 200 I.M.
laugh.gif

They're tied 2-2 in races at the Trials now.

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

So Phelps just beat Lochte in the 200 I.M.
laugh.gif

They're tied 2-2 in races at the Trials now.

trails dont really matter (obviously other than making the team).. but the 200 IM is going be rough for lochte, since he'll have to swim the final of the 200 back about 30 minutes before (which obviously gives phelps an advantage)

but it's going take a 1:53 high or 1:54 very low to win in the olympics (both were 1:54 high).. lochte just went 1:54:00 last year at the world championships (which is the current world record.. and also was done without the high-tec suits)

but all 4 of their head to head races are going be significantly faster than they went at the trails.. i expect the 400 IM to be around 4:05 (both were over 4:07), the 200 free around 1:44 (both were over 1:45), and 200 IM i mention above

but lochte won't come close to phelps in the 100 fly (i assume lochte pulls out of the 100 fly final).. hell i doubt anyone in the world will come close to phelps in the 100 fly in this olympics.. ironic considering it was his closest individual golds in the last 2 olympics (04 and 08)

[h2][/h2]
xlarge.jpg

[h1]Chris Bosh And Dwyane Wade Have Both Dropped Out Of The Olympics[/h1]

Bosh cites his strained abdominal. Wade needs knee surgery. Do you think this will turn most Americans against the Miami Heat? [ESPN]

First off, old news.

Second, what an incredibly asinine question on ESPN's part. Everyone knew that some guys might not participate depending on how deep a run they made in the playoffs. This has nothing to do with the Heat. And if people really want to get upset, blame the 2008 squad that had Wade, Lebron and Bosh, because that's what planted the seed for them joining forces.

Ya I don't really blame them.

They're making their bread through the NBA, not the Olympics, not worth the risk to some extent

Plus if you've already won a gold medal I don't see anything wrong with stepping aside and letting another qualified player a shot to win one who hasn't been on the team before

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

laugh.gif
at this guy. Swims an extra lap not knowing he was finished, even though he won.

and dude is the 2nd fastest seed going into the final..

but it got to be rough for those distance guys in international meets cause in regular meets you can just put the counter in the water so the swimmer can see it right before they go to turn (nothing i ever had to worry about since the longest race i did was 400 IM every once and a while.. but did do the count for couple of my buddies couple times).. but i could just imagine you get in that 'blank stare' mood and then you just lose track of what number lap you're actually on

The runoff for the womens 100 is tomorrow. Its only right they do it this way

it really hurts lochte that he isn't a slightly better sprinter.. if he was just a little better at the 100 back, that would be another gold medal right there on the 4 x100 medley relay (the guys who swim the prelims get the same medal as the guys who swim the final.. so he would have been good even if he was the second qualifier in the event)

he doesn't make it on to 2 out of the 3 relay teams.. whereas phelps will be on, on 3 relay teams

Welp this year's Gymnastics team is ZZZzzzzzzzzzz and by that, I mean all underage 
laugh.gif
Bye bye Nastia Liukin and Alicia Sacramone 
frown.gif

I never liked Nastia...She looked so cold hearted.
laugh.gif
I feel bad for her after watching day 2 of these trials though. Who am I to judge anyway?

Gabby Douglas
pimp.gif

I'm lovin' this years crew from a competition standpoint. The Olympics will be fun.

what was wrong with nasty lukin. was she hurt? could they have given her the spot or was she not good enough?

Originally Posted by DMan14

what was wrong with nasty lukin. was she hurt? could they have given her the spot or was she not good enough?

She flat out wasn't good enough. On Day 1, her dismount from the uneven bars landed her right on her !@@. Yesterday She fell on the balance beam, I believe. Just made too many crucial mistakes and clearly wasn't competing up to the standards of the others. Oh well...She got gold last Olympics.Edit: Actually, I think she fell flat on her face on the uneven bars that second time and not the beam. Just wasn't her friend.

ya know what time the first events of the days start?

are USA Basketball going to the around 1-3 pm central?

odd he would choose the 200 free to drop.. i assume if he would be dropping an event it would be the 400 IM

BUT, thinking about it a little bit.. he might be doing it for schedule reasons.. right now his schedule breaks like this:

day 1) 2 swims (400 IM prelims and finals)

day 2) 1 swim (4 X100 free relay).. would have swam the prelims and semi-finals of the 200 free here

day 3) 2 swims (200 fly prelims and semi-finals).. the final of the 200 free would be here

day 4) 2 swims (200 fly final and 4 x 200 free relay)

day 5) 2 swims (200 IM prelims and semi-finals)

day 6) 3 swims (100 fly prelims, 200 IM final and 100 fly semi-finals)

day7) 1 swim (100 fly finals)

day
glasses.gif
1 swim (4 x 100 medley relay)

Originally Posted by DMan14

She was supposed to be the best at the UNEVEN bars, but she fell.  She didn't look like her self at all.   I guess the short shelf life in this sport is better reserved for the youngins.

Back
Top Bottom