2012 Toyota GT-86 / SCION FRS/ BRZ - FRS $24,930 MSRP

Great read in the second article. Lot of interesting tech going into it but I still think it will have issues

Scion FR-S convertible coming by early 2014

With an epic chassis and the lowest center of gravity in the business, there's plenty for enthusiast to love about the Scion FR-S. Except, that is, for those who prefer to take their nimble, affordable sports cars with the roof down. Their choices are rather limited in this price category to the Mazda MX-5 and Ford Mustang, but if the latest reports prove accurate, the FR-S – which is, of course, virtually identical to the Subaru BRZ and sold overseas as the Toyota GT 86 – is preparing to throw its hat in the ring, as well.

Long rumored, a convertible version of the jointly-developed "Toyobaru" coupe could stand to boost sales figures and help the bean-counters justify the expenditure on the new platform. However while the speedster concept recently showcased at Long Beach lost its rear seats (along with most of its windshield), Car and Driver predicts that the FR-S convertible will keep the auxiliary pair in the back – though the addition of a folding roof mechanism would likely mean that would come at the expense of most of the trunk room.

We're told to expect the FR-S convertible to arrive sometime late in 2013 or early in 2014, with a price tag that would tack a few grand onto the coupe's $25,000 MSRP. Look for the same 2.0-liter, 200-horsepower boxer four to carry over with a choice of six-speed transmissions in either manual or automatic configurations. Beyond that, Toyota may be considering basing a larger four-door sedan and coupe off the new platform, which could stand to make the money men back at headquarters – to say nothing of the enthusiasts – even more happy.

nq44de.jpg

2z6trhu.jpg

119sax5.jpg

2a0fi34.jpg

Originally Posted by finnns2003

laugh.gif
Don't tell me Leno bought one.

Nah, dude just gets a lot of cars to test drive but really, a $25k car is chump change to him or he might even get it for free.

Originally Posted by RyanNYC

THEY od on stance nation..

slammed like that is ******ed looking looks like a vdub on air bags or something.

chamber is always od and stupid. you wont enjoy driving something that low cant even cruise down a block with out swerving and holding up traffic.

this..

would look way cleaner if dude just had a nice fitment instead of all that camber

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

indifferent.gif
if true

An rx7 and a mx5 fan like two different thing.

..then again mx5 balance with rx7 power would be a great look. But that means a rotory
alien.gif
roataries are dope man, i had a fc.  throwing flames and sounding like a chainsaw.
pimp.gif
but i had a full catless exhaust.  they NEED boost though, or else they are gutless.  i wish they would drop another rx-7, the rx-8 is trash.

2vw5v2t.jpg

1zz28hf.jpg

j623jt.jpg

“The GT86 was crowned winner of Top Gear Speed Week, ending up in first place among a eclectic range of 24 performance cars that included supercars, single-seat road racers, hot hatches, super saloons and even a three-wheeler. And a tuned-up Transit.”

Jeremy Clarkson comments on the Toyota GT86:

‘I’m sorry, Ford, Vauxhall and Suzuki, but the Toyota is just better at corners than all of you… It’s a real-world hero.’

‘…hand on heart, this was one of my favourite cars. It’s not slow – it really isn’t – it’s just that you have to work to get performance from it, but is that a problem? It sounds sweet, is smooth and has the best throttle response of anything here, 911 included.

‘This is hysterical. It’s so much more powerful than you’d think. At £25,000 it’s extremely good value for money.’

‘The Toyota is dainty and maximises the benefits of its layout and low centre of gravity. It’s a car that asks why you need to go round a corner at a zillion miles an hour. You don’t. Even pottering around, it’s different and interesting.

‘Acceleration is fun, but the noise is as important as the kick in the back, and I’d rather spend 30 seconds wringing the GT86 up to speed than three seconds being pummelled by the McLaren.

‘Our seven testers had the McLaren, 911 and Exige in a photo finish for second place, with the GT86 out in front. The Toyota isn’t big, it isn’t especially clever, but it’s fun.

‘The Toyota was the car everyone kept jumping into for “one last quick go”, and the one they got out of with the daftest smiles on their faces.’

damn kinda want this 

in a couple years they will probably start popping up in auctions

Just messing with you, I am seeing more and more of this car on the streets, it still turning heads.
10sd4pu.jpg

30kzq1d.jpg

148d56d.jpg

Very interested in the convertible version. Ive seen it on the street and wasnt very impressed with the design. But, from what I hear, its a very good value. Definitely going to be my next car if there is a convertible version released. Will post pics on NT, srs

Im picking up a car in the spring, little bro is taking the car im currently using.

I'll highly consider one of these if I cant find a used G37 coupe for a decent price. I hear nothing but good news, I saw a silver one too the other day that looked really good and I normally never like silver cars.

Back
Top Bottom