2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

Question a friend posed to me today (that I don't necessarily agree with but figured I'd bring here):

"What makes the SEC the best conference in football?  It used to be all about how big and fast their players are and how awesome their defenses are.  Well, they don't have faster players anymore (oregon, ohio state, baylor, clemson) and they're not necessarily any bigger than a Wisconsin or K State or Stanford, and across the board in the SEC it's looking like 'what defense?'

So, really, why are they considered the undisputed best?"

Because they are the deepest conference from top to bottom. Doesn't mean there aren't teams in other conferences that can't beat their best teams though. I could easily see Oregon or Clemson beating whoever wins the SEC this year.

That's a dumb question and statement...when the majority of the sec top teams defenses got swoop up in the NFL draft...true freshmen starting all over the field ..and when you have guys like Murray, AJ, Manziel, Mett, and Shaw, you're gonna get torched if you're fresh out of high school as a defensive player ..it's that's simple

Why does AJ always get talked about with the top QB's? I have never seen him do anything impressive

Why does AJ always get talked about with the top QB's? I have never seen him do anything impressive

Besides win ? Come through in the clutch ? Dude has had big games...it's not flashy..but he's legit. I hate Alabama...but AJ is good..he gets it done.

Besides win ? Come through in the clutch ? Dude has had big games...it's not flashy..but he's legit. I hate Alabama...but AJ is good..he gets it done.

you don't think having a legit running game and a top defense helps? dude rarely throws. Dude is not a top college QB.
he averages 22 Attempts a game.

Besides win ?

Worst argument ever. That has way more to do with his team than him. It's a whole lot easier to look good when you're surrounded by so many professional caliber players.

Regardless, he gets the job done for his team and that's all that matters.

you don't think having a legit running game and a top defense helps? dude rarely throws. Dude is not a top college QB.

He's proven he can make the big plays when needed...I give dude hell all the time, I don't think he's as good as those other QBs I mentioned, and yeah he do has a great running game...but he's made the plays when he needed to. He came through in the clutch against LSU last season, and Georgia..and he was getting murdered in those games against those Dlines..but he showed up in the end

He's proven he can make the big plays when needed...I give dude hell all the time, I don't think he's as good as those other QBs I mentioned, and yeah he do has a great running game...but he's made the plays when he needed to. He came through in the clutch against LSU last season, and Georgia..and he was getting murdered in those games against those Dlines..but he showed up in the end

but does that make him one of the top QB's in the Nation? do you think Bama could rely on him to throw it 30+ where the defense is playing the pass instead of the run?

Mike Davis with the dirtiest/cheapest play I've seen in the past 5 years. Disgusting.

Last edited:
but does that make him one of the top QB's in the Nation? do you think Bama could rely on him to throw it 30+ where the defense is playing the pass instead of the run?

If you put AJ on an average team, he'd be an average player and you wouldn't know his name.

original.gif

:smh:

Question a friend posed to me today (that I don't necessarily agree with but figured I'd bring here):

"What makes the SEC the best conference in football?  It used to be all about how big and fast their players are and how awesome their defenses are.  Well, they don't have faster players anymore (oregon, ohio state, baylor, clemson) and they're not necessarily any bigger than a Wisconsin or K State or Stanford, and across the board in the SEC it's looking like 'what defense?'

So, really, why are they considered the undisputed best?"
Because they are the deepest conference from top to bottom. Doesn't mean there aren't teams in other conferences that can't beat their best teams though. I could easily see Oregon or Clemson beating whoever wins the SEC this year.
sting-from-the-rafters-o.gif

No you can't.

SEC defenses seem less stellar than usual because of the reffing. Targeting rule is KILLING the game, period. Refs not calling any holding etc this year in conference..don't believe me just watch.

As far as AJ McCarron goes, dude is a glorified clipboard holder.

I mean i don't think anyone is going to win anything if all you can do is pass...

I mean i don't think anyone is going to win anything if all you can do is pass...

30 pass attempts isn't even close to only passing
Alabama averages 67 plays per game. that still gives you 30 to run and 7 for special teams

Back
Top Bottom