2013 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (85-77) OFFSEASON

Watch out for Texas to be major players for an OF now that they missed on McCann. Either a trade is coming or Daniels will sign one of Ellsbury, Choo, Beltran.

Buster Olney's article on McCann deal is not even close to all the Yankees will do this offseason.

McCann deal just the first move for Yanks

By Buster Olney | ESPN.com

A general manager ran through the list of possible targets for his team the other day, and he glossed over the name of a prominent free agent. Not interested, he indicated, because “you’d have to give up the [draft] pick.”

He expressed the continuing sentiment of a lot of baseball executives, that draft picks and the draft dollars attached to them have value that cannot be surrendered lightly. This is why the Red Sox targeted a bunch of free agents who weren’t attached to draft picks last winter, and probably part of the reason Jason Vargas has a four-year deal -- he wasn’t attached to a draft pick -- and some teams are shying away from Ervin Santana and Ubaldo Jimenez, who are tied to compensation.

But that dynamic changes dramatically once a team decides to surrender its first-round pick, as the Yankees will in signing Brian McCann. Now the Yankees are set up for the double-dip, or more, among the elite free agents tied to compensation, like Carlos Beltran, Stephen Drew, Ervin Santana and others.

“It’s like buying the buffet instead of ordering off the menu,” one executive said earlier this month. “You might as well go back for seconds and thirds.”

While the Red Sox, Rangers and other teams competing against the Yankees for the elite free agents will continue to weigh their desire to keep their top pick, this is no longer an obstacle for the Yankees. If they sign Shin-Soo Choo, or Drew, or Kendrys Morales, they will lose picks after the first round, which have far less value. (And the Yankees have set themselves up to get draft-pick compensation if Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson or Hiroki Kuroda sign elsewhere).

We saw this last winter with the Cleveland Indians. The Indians had a protected first-round pick, No. 5 overall, because of their 2012 record. When they signed Nick Swisher to a four-year, $56 million deal, they gave up a competitive balance selection at No. 69 overall. As the winter played out, Michael Bourn became obtainable to them, partly he was tied to draft compensation and his market value dipped. The Indians signed the center fielder to a four-year, $48 million, and only had to give up their second-round pick for Bourn.

Last winter, the Yankees avoided the free agents tied to pick compensation, to protect their draft. But now the Yankees are in a similar position as the Indians were last winter. If the market shrinks for Drew, Morales, Santana, etc., as it did for Kyle Lohse, New York will be in position to more freely pursue the player -- and against far fewer bidders, because a lot of teams simply won’t give up their top picks.

A safe bet: Now that the Yankees have given up their first-round pick, they will be going back to the buffet for seconds, and maybe for more.

This was the first big move of the winter for the Yankees, as John Harper writes. This is a deal about today, not tomorrow, as Joel Sherman writes.

The Yankees are keenly aware of what’s at stake for them in 2014, after their failure to make the playoffs in 2013. Attendance was down, their TV ratings were down significantly, and they need a quick rebound. I wrote here the other day that the Yankees really want Robinson Cano back, but they’re not going to wait for him; they’ve got to get better.

That has started with McCann, and could continue in the days ahead.

As of today, this is what the framework of the Yankees’ lineup looks like:

C McCann
1B Mark Teixeira
2B ?
3B ?
SS Derek Jeter/Brendan Ryan
LF Alfonso Soriano
CF Brett Gardner
RF Ichiro Suzuki/Vernon Wells
DH ?

From ESPN Stats & Information, the highest average annual value among catches to sign contracts:

Joe Mauer: $23M (2011-18)
Buster Posey: $18.6M (2013-21)
Brian McCann: $17M* (2014-18)
Yadier Molina: $15M (2013-17)
Jorge Posada: $13.1M (2008-11)
Mike Piazza: $13M (1999-05)
*Largest ever issued to catcher in free agency

Yankees catchers, in MLB rankings last season:
OPS: .587 (26th)
Slug pct: .298 (29th)
HR: 8 (30th)
RBI: 43 (30th)
McCann: .796 OPS, 20 HR last season

I love the signing. Pencil McCann in for 30 HR's. :smokin

I really think the Yankees shouldnt let Grandy go. I would love to see a possible OF like Grandy, Gardner, and Soriano.

The rest of the question marks in the infield and pitching staff have me worried. You just cant pencil people in. Stay tuned fellas.

Gimme Beltran, Reynolds, Tanaka, and Robbie.

Robbie isnt going anywhere, other teams are just trolling to raise his price.

I would add Granderson, Kuroda (who if he wanted to retire, would have indicated he was done already), Boone Logan (we don't have a LRP), and a setup man or closer depending on what we do with High Socks.

My best case scenario lineup

1 - Gardner - RF
2 - Jeter - SS
3 - Cano - 2B
4 - Soriano - LF
5 - Beltran - DH
6- Teixiera - 1B
7 - McCann - C
8 - Granderson - CF
9 - Reynolds - 3B

Last edited:
Can't believe we got McCann. That's HUGE for us.

I still wanted Peralta, he crushes the ball and can play SS and 3B.

Francesa said that Kuroda has changed his mind and is leaning towards coming back now.

I'd love to have Grandy back. When healthy he's healthy he can give us 30-40HR, but I think I read something on Twitter that Andrew Marchand doesnt think Grandy will return a few weeks back.

Francesa said that Kuroda has changed his mind and is leaning towards coming back now.

Told y'all

1 - CC
2- Kuroda
3- Nova
4 - Pineda
5 - ???? (No idea what's going on with Tanaka's posting.. But at this point I don't hear any other team being mentioned with Tanaka).

Last edited:
I'd love to have Grandy back. When healthy he's healthy he can give us 30-40HR, but I think I read something on Twitter that Andrew Marchand doesnt think Grandy will return a few weeks back.

From MLB Trade Rumors:
Curtis Granderson is "a serious part" of the Yankees' offseason plans, GM Brian Cashman told George A. King III of the New York Post. Cashman told King that the Yankees remain interested and don't consider Granderson to be a fallback option by any means. Signing Granderson would likely mean the team would look to move Ichiro Suzuki, King adds. Here's more on the American League East.

And the biggest contender White Sox have been hesitant to give up a pick for Granderson.

Last edited:
Tanaka and Kuroda would lock down the rotation. No need to give Santana 5/100.

Grandy or Beltran.

Robbie obviously top priority. Maneuvering years and money per.

Reynolds on the cheap to fill the hot corner.

Tanaka and Kuroda would lock down the rotation. No need to give Santana 5/100.

Grandy or Beltran.

Robbie obviously top priority. Maneuvering years and money per.

Reynolds on the cheap to fill the hot corner.

Even though it wouldn't be a 1st Rounder. Santana still isn't worth a pick. Even without Kuroda or Tanaka.

As for the Grandy or Beltran.. I'm greedy :lol:, but I also feel that I do not want to watch Ichiro play everyday. He's a fill-in guy/ bench player at this point.

But if I had to choose. I go with Granderson, and than bring back Raul as the DH.
Granderson is younger. Decent fielder. Can run the bases.
Raul will cost less than half of Beltran and less years.

Last edited:
If Grandy returns, Beltran to Boston (or KC). Although I still think Beltran is the preference if the numbers are right. Choo to Texas. Ells to whoever touches 7/150 as predicted per experts.

If Grandy returns, Beltran to Boston (or KC). Although I still think Beltran is the preference if the numbers are right. Choo to Texas. Ells to whoever touches 7/150 as predicted per experts.

I think it all depends on what Beltran wants if we go after just Grandy, just Beltran or both.

If Beltran wants 4 years.. Yankees will definitely pass.

My preference is for the Yankees to give Grandy 4 year / $52mil. Exactly what Swish got.
Beltran 2 year / $34 mil.

All depends how deep NYY dig into their pocket. Considering they are signing a big named guy, and looking at others before they even sign Cano means they are ready to spend a crapload.

Didn't think of this. But David Shoenfield said with McCan probably DH'ing a fair share of games.. Same with Jeter.. It means that signing a DH that needs every day play (Beltran) may be unncessary because theoretically, McCann & Jeter probably DH half the season. So in with Ibanez. And keeping Granderson.

Last edited:
NYY and BOS might create a bidding war for Beltran. STL got a 2/26 steal. It seems he prefers the Yanks most if the courtship before signing with the NYM was as positive as reported.

I don't think 2/34 gets it done when he wants a 4-year deal. 3/48-52 maybe.

McCann hitting at yankee stadium is going to add to his home runs he had a lot of balls that were warning track power in Atlanta but hes a strictly pull hitter plus that small porch hes hitting 30 hrs at least.

Last edited:
30+ HR is a fair expectation given his swing and the grounds. Plus he's making more than the best catcher in baseball, Yadi.

Yankees called Dodgers about Kemp.

Also have had discussions with Kuroda, Choo, Ellsbury, Beltran & Stephen Drew.

Buster Olney says we already have a few offers out to other players.

Last edited:
McCann numbers (My prediction)

135 GP

.265 BA

23 HR

75 RBI

.345 OBP

Last edited:
Depends how much they have to absorb of his contract.

Team doctors must be thorough with a clean bill of health before any move. Hammy, shoulder. Even I'm worried for Matty.

Back
Top Bottom