2013 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (85-77) OFFSEASON

Word is that if Girardi leaves, Tony Peña would be the top candidate to get the job.

Girardi back for another 4 years. Fine by me. He did a damn good job this season, dealing with all the injuries. If we made the playoffs, I would think he would have won MOY.
Joe Girardi’s past two managerial contracts were for three years. This one is four years because Girardi wanted it that way.

“That was something that we brought up to (the Yankees),” Girardi said. “It’s more stability for all of us involved in my household. It was something that we threw out at them, and they were okay with it. It’s good for both of us.”

A few other takeaways from today’s Girardi conference call…

Ever a legitimate chance you wouldn’t come back?
“I don’t necessarily think that. There were some things that I wanted to make sure, in my home, that people were OK with what I was still doing and that they loved what I did. They do. They love what I do. Sometimes you have concerns about if your kids want you home more, but my kids love what I do. So, those were the things that I felt that I had to get out. A lot falls on my wife, Kim, and she has been with me since Day 1 of me being drafted, and she’s still extremely supportive and wants me to continue to do what I want to do and. For that I’m extremely blessed. There wasn’t really ever a lot of thought that I possibly might not come back, but I had to make sure that everyone was still on board.”

Close to exploring opportunities in Chicago?
“As far as getting an offer from the Cubs, no. Obviously you hear things in the paper about, they were interested and what they might do. But as far as getting an offer, we never spoke to them. We worked out the deal here. As far as the Cubs fans, as I said, this involved my family. I have a lot of fond memories back in Chicago, but I have kids now and a wife. Everyone has to be on board with what we’re doing. I wish them nothing but the best of luck. It was an organization that I grew up watching and playing [for]. I want to see them do well.”

Ask for any assurances that the Yankees will spend enough to contend?
“I always think the Yankees are going to do whatever they feel is best to get better as a club. There are things that, as a family, they have to address, and probably things they want to stick to, and I think that’s fair; $189 million is still an awful lofty number. What is there, one club over that besides the Yankees in baseball? Our job is to get the best players we can. We’re going to probably have to use our minor leagues, as well. We need these kids to develop, to get better and play a role. If you look at the run the Yankees have had over the past 16-17 years, the farm system played a very important role. We need that to happen again, because you can’t just go out and buy every free agent at every position. You won’t be able to build a team and you won’t have enough money. I think that through the minor-league system, the free agents and players that we have, we’ll be very good.”

Want to make sure you’d have a voice in decision making?
“My coming back was not contingent on if I would have more of a voice. I’ve always felt that I have been able to speak my piece and things that I’ve wanted, things that I see. That did not play into my decision to come back or into contract talks. Everyone has a job to do.”

Can you win a championship in these next four years?
“Absolutely. I wouldn’t have come back if I didn’t think we could win a championship. I know there’s a lot of work to be done. I know there’s a lot of holes that we have to fill, and there’s people leaving and people retiring, but I have faith in our organization.”

Did the Rivera and Pettitte farewells spark consideration of a personal Yankees legacy?
“I’m not worried about making a legacy, but the impact it had on my life was how fortunate I am to be a part of something so great. I don’t even worry about my legacy because that’s, who I am, my value is not based on what I do. It’s more of who I am as a person. So in watching Mo go through it and Andy go through it. I felt really blessed. And at times it brought me to, you know, tears, because I realized how fortunate I was to be around two great men, to be around great players, to have the opportunity to play with them and manage them, and for that, is special to me. This place is special.”

I love how Hal said he'll put winning over $189mil cap.

Then says he thinks he can put a winner at $189mil though.

Translation: We have no shot trying to stay under $189mil.

If A-Rod gets suspended. We'll have about $80mil to spend if we were trying to stay under $189mil. Joel Sherman insinuates that the $80mil would be used to re-sign Cano, go after McCann, Masahiro Tanaka, Stephen Drew or Jhonny Peralta.. If feasible re-sign Granderson or Cano.

Last edited:
Girardi signing is great news.

If Cano really wants $300 mil/10 yrs, he can walk. With that kind of $, Yanks can sign maybe 2 quality pitchers.

If Granderson isnt asking for too much, hes a solid outfielder and hitter.

Girardi signing is great news.

If Cano really wants $300 mil/10 yrs, he can walk. With that kind of $, Yanks can sign maybe 2 quality pitchers.

If Granderson isnt asking for too much, hes a solid outfielder and hitter.

I'm sure Cano wants 10/300. I'm sure every baseball player wants that.. He knows he won't get it. No team will even offer close. He'll at best get 8year/$200mil, AT BEST. 7 yr / $180mil sounds like the right number.

Granderson will get around Swisher years / money. If the qualifying offer doesn't do it.

4 year / $52-56mil for Granderson is well worth it.
1. He is at least 25 homerun guy. We need as many bats as possible.
2. He runs the bases well
3. He is a solid fielder.
4. We will not have anyone in the farm come up and give his impact within the next 3 years.

Last edited:
Yankees Expected To Bid High On Masahiro Tanaka

The New York Yankees will be serious players in the bidding for Masahiro Tanaka next month, according to baseball sources.

The Yankees will make Tanaka a priority in the wake of Andy Pettitte retiring, the uncertain future of Hiroki Kuroda and question marks around their young pitching.

"The Yankees have seen him a lot," said a talent evaluator who watched the 24-year-old Japanese right-hander pitch late last month. "Boston, Texas and the Dodgers will be there, too. This guy is very good."

Tanaka, who went 22-0 with a 1.23 ERA in the regular season, isn’t eligible for free agency, so he has to go through the posting process that can’t begin before Nov. 1.

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wire...kees_expected_to_bid_high_on_masahiro_tanaka/

CC
?
Nova
Pineda
Tanaka

Maybe Kuroda as the #2.

My dream would be Tanaka. And offer a huge package to try and swipe David Price.

No one else wants to participate???

I'm actually excited for next year. But ONLY if the Steinbrenner's are willing to blow past the $189mil. If A-Rod is only suspended for half a season, you blow way past it.

Starting Pitching -

If you can land Tanaka. You have to bring back Kuroda, even if it means $20mil. He would be great for 1 year with Tanaka, and helping him adjust to American baseball. Kuroda didn't even get to the majors until 33 years old. Tanaka is 24 years old. Would be a great influence.

C.C., Kuroda, Nova, Tanaka, Pineda - $62 million rotation

Bullpen -

Pretty much set with most guys in house

Phelps, Betances, Claiborne, Kelly, Logan , David Robertson - $14 million (I'm severely overvaluing arbitration just because)

One person we should add is K-Rod for our 8th inning guy. He had a solid season, even though he kind of had trouble at the beginning with the O's, but it's the O's. You could probably swipe him up for 3 year / $12mil. He only made $2mil last year. And was originally a minor league contract.

Bullpen - $18 million

Total pitching staff - $80million

Catcher

Brian McCann - 4 year / $56mil

Back up making $1mil

First Base

Tex - $23mil

Second Base

Cano - $25 mil

Short Stop

Jeter - $8 mil

Third Base

Eric Chavez - $3 mil

Mark Reynolds - who would serve as DH and backup 3B, 1B - $7mil

Middle Infielder

$2mil to some veteran, or continue with Brendon Ryan.

Infield combined - $83mil

Pitching Staff + Infield - $163 mil

Outfield -

Soriano - LF - $5,000,000

Gardner - CF / RF - Arbitration will probably get him close to $5mil. I'm likely overvaluing again

Granderson - He may leave for the White Sox, but if he wants a shot to win a World Series, remember he came after 2009, he will stay. No way that the White Sox offer him more than $15mil a year, it's just not feasible, and would make the White Sox look 100X worse for spending that when they are rebuilding. On the other hand, we don't look bad spending that money because Granderson is a Yankee Stadium product. He will never hit 35HR + anywhere else. I hope QO for him works. If not, and he wants a longer deal, nothing over Maybe 4 year / $52mil.

Wells - can't get rid of him. 1 year left on him $2.4mil

Suzuki - 1 year left $6.5 mil

Outfield - $31.4 mil

Total combined - Pitching, Infield, Outfield - Around $195mil

DH - I like Mark Reynolds here, and use him 40-50 games as 1B / 3B. But if Granderson leaves, I hope he doesn't. You make the hard push for Carlos Beltran. He wants 4 years, around $17-18mil a year. But I'll say two things. His fielding is dwindling, but that man can still hit. Not to mention his playoff numbers are probably top 3 all-time. And being a lefty at Yankee stadium, and having him play DH. Yikes!

You could go a couple of ways.
1. Keep Grandy, and sign Beltran. Not get Chavez, and keep Reynolds to play 3B.
2. Lose Grandy, sign Beltran, play Beltran in right, Reynolds DH, Chavez 3B.

If you keep Granderson, Get Beltran. Drop Chavez and Reynolds is 3B. Your payroll would be $212 million. If A-Rod comes back mid-season, goes to $228million.

$208- 212 million gets you

Rotation-

CC
Kuroda
Nova
Pineda
Tanaka

Bullpen-

Phelps
Betances
Kelly
Claiborne
Logan
K-Rod
Robertson

C
McCann
Cervelli or Stewart or Romine?

1B
Teixera

2B
Cano

SS
Jeter

3B
Reynolds

MIF
Brendon Ryan

LF
Soriano
Wells

CF
Granderson

RF
Gardner
Suzuki

DH
Beltran

Your batting order would be
1- Gardner L
2- Jeter R
3- Soriano R
4 - Cano L
5 - Beltran S
6- Teixera S
7- McCann S
8 - Reynolds R
9 - Granderson L

You couldn't make a mistake to anyone 1-9.

That's why I'm excited. And you can do it for $212million

Last edited:
I was actually hoping McCann had a great postseason. We may be able to get him for cheaper now.

1. Keep Grandy, and sign Beltran. Not get Chavez, and keep Reynolds to play 3B.

I think this is the best case scenario.

CC
Kuroda
Nova
Pineda
Tanaka

If CC can come back healthy, this would be a great rotation. I still have my eye on Kimbel a few years down the road.

I'm excited about next year. This season was such an aberration

^ If it comes back like last offseason, then we're screwed.

Have to keep Cano, add McCann, keep Reynolds, and keep Granderson or if he goes replace him with 25 HRs. That is the least that needs to be done.

Pitching - Keep Logan, convince Kuroda to stay, sign Tanaka. Outbid on K-Rod, but likely will still be very solid value. That is the least that needs to be done.

I agree with the season was an anomaly. Had just Granderson and Teixeira been healthy all season, or for a reasonable amount of the season, we would have at least 7-8 more wins. Our offense was AWFUL, and that is because A-Rod, Jeter, Granderson, Teixeira all missed 100 games at least. I just looked and Soriano was second on the team in Homeruns. Only playing 50 games for us. :smh:

Last edited:
Kuroda is gone. He's not coming back. Not sure why his name is being mentioned.

Curtis is probably gone because a few teams will pay him more than us.

Beltran is not coming here.

Yankees will be looking for pitching, 3B and C. We have plenty of OFs.

Kuroda is gone. He's not coming back. Not sure why his name is being mentioned.

Curtis is probably gone because a few teams will pay him more than us.

Beltran is not coming here.

Yankees will be looking for pitching, 3B and C. We have plenty of OFs.

No one knows what Kuroda will do. If you get Tanaka, you may get 1 more year from him.

And if Curtis is gone, and you don't replace him. You don't have plenty of outfielders. You have a **** show. And with Sori probably at DH because of it, you're playing Vernon Wells, Brett Gardner, Ichiro Suzuki :lol: Unless you move Vernon to DH :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
^ Kuroda didn't want to come back last season. He got plenty of money for last season and then ran out of gas. He's not coming back.

Curtis, I think we'll try to get him but I don't think we will. I think other teams will pay a lot more than we will. I could be wrong though.

^ Kuroda didn't want to come back last season. He got plenty of money for last season and then ran out of gas. He's not coming back.

Curtis, I think we'll try to get him but I don't think we will. I think other teams will pay a lot more than we will. I could be wrong though.

They're both very real possibilities. I'm with you on it.

My thing is 1. Have to replace Kuroda and get a front end starter if he does go
2. If Curtis goes, you have to add another power bat in the outfield or DH/OF like Beltran. I can't watch a season of Wells, Gardner & Ichiro again

View media item 618857
I was a 12 year old going absolutely insane way past my bedtime in the Stadium that night.

I'm willing to bet this will have been the greatest sports event I will ever attend live :pimp: . Real buzzkill to remember we didn't beat the Marlins that year.

I remember my step dad was stationed in NC from Japan, but he stopped in Texas to see his family. I was with him, my mom and brother. His family lived in a small *** town, but we went to some sports restaurant/bar to watch the game. When Boone hit the HR we were going crazy...knocking chairs and tables over and **** :rofl:.... Probably my favorite Yankee moment from when I was a kid honestly.

I remember sitting on the couch clutching a pillow sitting in an uncomfortable manner.. Unwilling to move because I thought if I did it would jinx the Yankees. Including during commercial breaks.

Back
Top Bottom