Duncan
Durant
LeBron
West
Hakeem
Wilt
Russell
Garnett

Are some of the best to ever play the game, in some order. ALL top 5.

Don't let Kobe at 13 screw with your thought process. The best of the best come from the top 5, period. They FAR outweigh the outliers. It's not even close.

Well thanks for killing my positivity this morning CP!!! :lol: :frown:

Dont sleep on my mans Smart...he could be the good young PG the Lakers been needing for a min ....

Marcus Smart | 6-4, 225 POUNDS | POINT GUARD | SOPHOMORE
Chad Ford's Top 100: No. 8
Strengths: Usage, FTA%, Rebound%, Steal%, Block% | Weaknesses: PF%
WARP projection: 3.7 (1st among Top 100)
Comparables: James Harden (88.6), Tyreke Evans (88.4), Chris Paul (86.9), John Wall (86.6)

The analytics perspective

Kevin Pelton: As disappointing as Smart's sophomore season was, he still lands atop my statistical draft rankings, ahead of any of this year's touted freshmen. Outside of the context of Oklahoma State's up-and-down season and his suspension, Smart did make progress. He improved his assist rate and cut his turnovers while becoming marginally more efficient from the field.

As a result, he ranked as the nation's best player on a per-minute basis in ASPM, a measure that estimates plus-minus from box-score stats. Smart's skills have translated well to the NBA historically, as his comps indicate. His ability to get into the paint and create (or simulate) contact should ensure regular trips to the free throw line. And Smart should be one of the league's top thieves from day one. He's also an excellent rebounder, which has been a positive indicator for point guards. Lastly, Smart is young for his class. In fact, he's 10 days younger than freshman Joel Embiid.

The scouting perspective

Amin Elhassan: For someone who didn't play point guard until he got to college, Smart's not bad. He's got a strong, stocky frame, and he knows how to keep defenders shielded from the ball. Smart is an excellent finisher at the rim, even through contact, and knows how to initiate it and follow through. He's an awful perimeter shooter, from 2- or 3-point range, but that doesn't deter him from pulling up for them. He doesn't have the greatest quickness or explosion in his first step; he tries to muscle his way past defenders.

Marcus Smart
William Purnell/Icon SMI
Smart has NBA size and strength. Can he improve his shot?
His inexperience as a point guard shows in pick-and-roll, where he often puts his head down and tries to bully his way to the rim, then make the pass when other options have exhausted themselves. Passes will overwhelmingly be in his direct line of vision. Still, I like the way he gets ahead in transition, and the ball doesn't stick in his hands as much as you'd expect. I just don't know if he has the lateral quickness or skill to be a highly successful pro, and doubt his enormous size/power advantage will carry over to the next level.

Defensively, he has great anticipation and strong "athletic hands," which allow him to rip the ball away. Again, his lateral quickness will be an issue, and so coaches will have to be creative in the defensive matchups they assign him, much like how Andre Miller is often hidden on small forwards. I like the fact he's an excellent defensive rebounder for a guard.

The front office perspective

Chad Ford: Smart isn't a prototypical point guard. He doesn't always see the floor as well as he should, can get too caught up on finding his own shot, and has a jumper that borderlines on being broken. There is a pretty big split among NBA scouts and GMs about Smart's potential because of those weaknesses. Not everyone is on board with him being a lottery pick.

2014 NBA Draft
Which college stars are on their way to the draft? Who has one foot still in the door? Chad Ford breaks down the latest news. Who's in, out? Insider

• Lottery Mock Draft | NBA draft '14

But his physical tools (he's incredibly strong, physical and has great size for his position), his motor (he plays as hard as anyone in college basketball), his toughness and his leadership capabilities are all off the charts. Smart can bend the game to his will on occasions, and for teams looking for a true leader, he has all the makings of a great one.

His draft ceiling will ultimately depend on how much he improves his jump shot and playmaking skills. He's such a hard worker and so dedicated to the game that most NBA scouts believe he's going to fix these deficiencies with time. Expect him to go somewhere between No. 6 and 10 on draft night.

:lol:

Not tryin to kill your vibe, trying to get everyone on the same path.

Everyone sittin around sayin "oh well, we got 6th at least, no biggie...." NO.

We are fans. We DEMAND the best. Not, "not bad". **** that.

That's why they get away with this half assed ****. Fans don't push for better.

Will we get a good player? Yes.

Could we have pushed harder for a great one? YES.

Just because Silver might throw us a bone and jump us into the top 3 doesn't take away the terrible piss poor job going on right now. Not in the least.

I refuse to "just be cool with 6". :stoneface:

Being ok with sittin at 6, while the other teams decide which franchise caliber player they can have, and we select a solid starter is plain stupid.

Accepting it, is even dumber.

Demand more.

Lite - adj. (2) being an innocuous or unthreatening version

What I mean by lite is the alternate watered down version of those players compared to

Well I mean CP at this point you are "demanding" something we never fully had control over in the first place.

I'm just saying the season is over there is nothing else we can do about it unfortunately it is out of our hands ...even tho it was never in our hands lol
So instead of spending so much energy into woulda shoulda coulda's we should spend out time moving forward with our draft possibilities. That's all. That's the path I'm on.

I hear you Jo, but I don't vibe with that. Like I said, that's how these clowns get away with it, fans don't put enough pressure on them.

I'll give you an example.

This city up here, Portland fans, all excited, playoffs, got their slogans, Rise up, this, that, the other, town all abuzz, man, they bout to be busted in 2 weeks, out in round 1.

Every year, they out in round 1. EVERY, YEAR.

They just sit here with their hopes, and dreams, and fantasies, and ownership just collects their money, does the bare minimum, makes it "look" like they tryin, and then next year comes, round 1, rinse, repeat, from here to eternity.

Zero fan pressure.

If we follow that path, guess what happens to us?

I will never, ever, be "ok" with effort, and good tries. I want, the NBA, back in the palm of our hands. **** the rest of these tool bags thinkin they run **** now. **** Rocket fans think they "players" now. **** Heat fans. Def **** the Spur fans that think they matter cuz they win 50 every year and then flame out. **** these new Clipper fans. **** all of them.

I want the league back under our boot.

We don't get that by just bein cool with this or that.

Kobe on that Sandy Lyle E! True Hollywood Story Comeback Tip.

11073928_ori.jpg

Depending on the draft, I hope they re-sign Farmar.

It could be worse than Farmar, Marshall and Nash next season.

Edit:

@MarkG_Medina Would Nash give up his contract if he found he's not able to play? "Frankly, I don’t think so."

*Waits for everyone to riot in this thread*

Last edited:
Mitch signs Pau for 2 more ****** years we are done for. DONE.
mean.gif
Bruh, we're already done.

That would just make us doner than done. Like, super well done.

I mean, we're already well done.

That would make us like beef jerky 'done'.

ohwell.gif

The sky isn't falling; it's already settled on the ground, descent completed. Next season is pointless, and 2015 free agency is what we're hoping on for another championship run.

I expect Pau to re-sign, and MDA to be fired, which would make us like BURNT beef jerky 'done'.

Marcus Smart sounds like a Raymond Felton clone from that scouting report. DO NOT WANT

I don't expect anything good from this draft due to their record. :smh: @ the celtics getting exum

Mitch disgusts me :x

Next season is pointless, and 2015 free agency is what we're hoping on for another championship run.

Not true.

IF, we get a brain, 2015 could be very useful. We need to fall into the top 5 of the draft, but with luck, that can happen. (luck, like re-signing Pau, Nash and Kobe still not able to play full season, Nick Young leaving, Jordan Hill leaving, etc)

Of course, I doubt Mitch and Jim attempt to tank, since they are so anti draft, but if we could pull our Top 5 and pair that with this year's pick, then enter 2015 free agency, we could be in good shape within the year.

Only question is, will Mitch get a clue and try to keep our pick? Or will he be happy to just hand it over, in division?

Played the ESPN Draft Lottery thing for like 20ish times ... got Wiggins twice, Jabari 4 times, Exum twice, and Aaron Gordon for the rest of the tries. God help us ...

Part of Nash's point w/t @grantland33 Finish Line doc he produced was to relate to anyone coping with the end of something they loved. "It felt right at this stage of my career to being open and to hell with being judged"

Nash on $: "It gets convoluted b/c I love to play the game." Says if he had no options & Lakers asked him to play the game for free he would. "But reality of the business is that when you have multiple teams offering you money, of course you're going to take it"

Next season is pointless, and 2015 free agency is what we're hoping on for another championship run.

Not true.

IF, we get a brain, 2015 could be very useful. We need to fall into the top 5 of the draft, but with luck, that can happen. (luck, like re-signing Pau, Nash and Kobe still not able to play full season, Nick Young leaving, Jordan Hill leaving, etc)

Of course, I doubt Mitch and Jim attempt to tank, since they are so anti draft, but if we could pull our Top 5 and pair that with this year's pick, then enter 2015 free agency, we could be in good shape within the year.

Only question is, will Mitch get a clue and try to keep our pick? Or will he be happy to just hand it over, in division?

Cp who would u want the lakers to draft if we do land on 6?

Assuming Top 5 are taken and no one drops, Vonleh or Gordon. Whichever looks better in workouts, cleaner injury record, defensive skillsets, hungrier, gymrat, etc.

Vonleh looks like the better player today, Gordon might have the higher ceiling in 2-3 years.

Played the ESPN Draft Lottery thing for like 20ish times ... got Wiggins twice, Jabari 4 times, Exum twice, and Aaron Gordon for the rest of the tries. God help us ...
Yeah I did that also and most of the time got Aaron Gordon or Noah Vonleh and Jabari Parker 2 times

Does Pau Gasol think he'll be a Laker next year? "Like I say every year I don't know."

Goes on to talk about almost being traded for the last 3 years but now he control his own destiny... but he'll still listen closely to the Lakers.

Even if Mitch is dumb enough to offer that 2 year deal, not sure this guy takes it.

Last edited:

Not true.

So next season is pointless, and 2015 free agency is where we're at for #17.

I'm telling, my current outlook on our squad is that I have lost ALL faith in our FO, dude. I believe that there's some magical dude in the skies more than I believe our FO will figure something out to get us back to elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom