2014 NBA Draft Thread

Pretty much.

LaVine is going to be the steal if he doesn't have a dominant March that brings his stock up again

Great size/handle/shooting for the 2 guard position and his athleticism is crazy.
Let him run Alford's show when Slo Mo enters the league. LaVine, Adams, Hamilton, Parker. Light work.

just some passing thoughts,

I will say this, last year was considered a "weak draft" but I would say from 8-30 its stronger then this year. The bottom falls out very early.

also

Wayne Selden has no NBA skills, he has an NBA body but he hasn't shown anything that makes you think he's even a role player at the next level. If he has any faith in the skills he supposedly had in high school that mad him such a highly regarded recruit he should go back to Kansas.

also

I don't get any of this Zach LaVine stuff.

Last edited:
just some passing thoughts,

I will say this, last year was considered a "weak draft" but I would say from 8-30 its stronger then this year. The bottom falls out very early.

also

Wayne Selden has no NBA skills, he has an NBA body but he hasn't shown anything that makes you think he's even a role player at the next level. If he has any faith in the skills he supposedly had in high school that mad him such a highly regarded recruit he should go back to Kansas.
His ball-handling and passing is above average for a 2/3 at the next level. Selden can be Beal-lite if he develops more of a midrange game.

His ball-handling and passing is above average for a 2/3 at the next level. Selden can be Beal-lite if he develops more of a midrange game.

no it itsn;t. hasn't made a single advanced move all year, just straight wild line drives, shows no pace on the pick and roll with his handle at all, suspect first step.

watched every kansas game and he's like not even close, I would say he has an average handle for an SF, but he's 6'5, an undersized SF who doesn't shoot or defend well?

since when does that work in the NBA?

Last edited:
Embiid scares me injury wise idk why, every time I watch him I feel like he's going to get hurt

Has HOF potential though

no it itsn;t. hasn't made a single advanced move all year, just straight wild line drives, shows no pace on the pick and roll with his handle at all, suspect first step.

Like not even close, I would say he has an average handle for an SF, but he's 6'5, an undersized SF who doesn't shoot or defend well?

since when does that work in the NBA?
36% 3PT. Strong, bullish frame. Yeah, he needs another year in Lawrence but Selden will figure it out. Self's offensive schemes also don't maximize Selden or Wiggins' skill sets. Not to mention inconsistent PG play in running the offense throughout the season. This will cripple Kansas in the tourney.

36% 3PT. Strong, bullish frame. Yeah, he needs another year in Lawrence but Selden will figure it out. Self's offensive schemes also don't maximize Selden or Wiggins' skill sets. Not to mention inconsistent PG play in running the offense throughout the season. This will cripple Kansas in the tourney.

.618 from the line. Pretty much all statistical models projecting the NBA draft show FT% to be a more accurate predictor of NBA 3p%, I think its a maor stretch to assume he can be a league average 3pt shooter even just an average one.

EDIT

Another reason why this Zach LaVine guy has question marks, You think funky jump shot going to translate to the NBA? his sub 70% FT% tells me maybe not. and if zach laivne is not an elite shooter he looses like 80% of his value s a future NBA player. imo.

Last edited:
.618 from the line. Pretty much all statistical models projecting the NBA draft show FT% to be a more accurate predictor of NBA 3p%, I think its a maor stretch to assume he can be a league average 3pt shooter even just an average one.

EDIT

Another reason why this Zach LaVine guy has question marks, You think funky jump shot going to translate to the NBA? his sub 70% FT% tells me maybe not. and if zach laivne is not an elite shooter he looses like 80% of his value s a future NBA player.
I don't know about that. James Young is a 67% FT shooter and everyone will concede he'll be an above average deep shooter in the NBA if nothing else. I'm willing to believe Selden and Young will both shoot over 70% from the charity stripe in their NBA careers.

Besides shooting for LaVine is the obvious athleticism and explosiveness. First step to attack the rim aggressively. Shown flashes against ASU and the Ducks. One of the latest mocks has him at #19, that's fine by me. Developmental player, he's not going to contribute right away.

I don't know about that. James Young is a 67% FT shooter and everyone will concede he'll be an above average deep shooter in the NBA if nothing else. I'm willing to believe Selden and Young will both shoot over 70% from the charity stripe in their NBA careers.

Besides shooting for LaVine is the obvious athleticism and explosiveness. First step to attack the rim aggressively. Shown flashes against ASU and the Ducks. One of the latest mocks has him at #19, that's fine by me. Developmental player, he's not going to contribute right away.

I wont concede that. :lol:

james young got shooter who can't shoot written all over him, e's got a low releas point and his jumper is flat why would I think its going at the next level? I understand he has value as a prospect but honestly James Young is undraftabe imo. too much risk not enough reward.

on lavine.

attacks the rim aggressivly...but can't get to the line. I think people are totally overrating his handle, and his footwork. quick first step but doesn't beat guys consistently.

If any of this stuff y'all belive about him is even 50% true then he should come back next year.

LaVine definitely has NBA athleticism and his frame tells me he could put on more muscle without losing it

His jump shot is funky but I still like it and he puts reps in, also with him not getting starter minutes his FT% isn't that telling, plus it's only a shade under 70% not far off from James Harden in college.

James harden was 76 in college with textbook form, zach is at 69%, its just another red flag.

like I said If any of this stuff y'all belive about him is even 50% true then he should come back next year.

Last edited:
James harden was 76 in college with textbook form, zach is at 69%, its just another red flag.
I honestly think you're overrating FT PCT to evaluate a prospect's future as a shooter or successful player in the NBA. Unless you can show me a plethora of historical examples.

Off the top, Derrick Rose shot like 70% from the line at Memphis. He's at almost an 85 PCT clip now in Chicago.

like I said If any of this stuff y'all belive about him is even 50% true then he should come back next year.

The kid takes 2 FT's a game to Harden's 7 though, like I said I don't think the sample size is big enough to declare that yet.

I agree he should come back only to up his stock and confidence but just watching him I think he's an NBA player

I honestly think you're overrating FT PCT to evaluate a prospect's future as a shooter or successful player in the NBA. Unless you can show me a plethora of historical examples.

Off the top, Derrick Rose shot like 70% from the line at Memphis. He's at almost an 85 PCT clip now in Chicago.

its not about projecting future free throw % its about projecting future NBA 3P%

freethrow is a good indicator of whether a guy is making more threes then his actual ability to repeat his motion will allow him to make in the NBA.

examples

Derrick Wiiams shot 38% from 3 in college, shot only .720 from the ft line. 29% nba 3 pt shooter.
Austin Rivers: shot 38% from three at duke, .660 from the ft line 32$ shooter NBA.

Word, I don't think shooting 69% on 2 FT's a game is a red flag or even as relevant as him shooting 43% from 3 shooting almost 4 a game

Kendall Marshall 69% ft in college, 44% 3pt shooter in the league already

Afflalo & Farmar both shot 70% freshman year, both 43% 3pt shooters

Last edited:
Can't believe we're using FT% to predict how good a shooter someone will be in the league.

There is no direct correlation because we can pull a sample size where someone has shot better and someone has shot worse once in the league.

With that said, I'm more inclined to take LaVine over every other SG in the draft, with Selden coming before Young.

Free throw shooting is very much an indicator of perimeter shooting.

Last edited:
Tim Hardaway shot 69 percent from the free throw line last year and is going to be an elite NBA shooter (shooting 37 percent his rookie year with a horrible team). I think Levine and Young are fawned over because of how smooth their games are. With that said, I know statisctially he has sucked but I still like Young, been a fan all year. Right coach, right system think he can be an 18 ppg score in the league. Levine just seems like a guy who fits the profile of a huge bust.

*Homer Post* I think Vonleh could end up being a top 3 guy from this draft. I like Randle too but I just because I think Vonleh will be a solid rim protector I'd lean toward taking him over Julius.

Also, Tyler Ennis as a top ten pick needs to stop :lol:. The idea that his shrimp *** would help the Kings more than lil Zeke is absurd.

Vonleh was too low. I think I'd consider taking him over Randle. 
Said that yesterday. I love Vonleh's game. 

You're an extreme Homer for saying Hardaway is going to be an elite shooter, though. 36% is average and he's at 37%. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Rookie year or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom