2014 NBA Draft Thread

I really hope he plays aggressive like that the rest of this year heading into the draft. I don't wanna see him just standing in the corner or going down to the post and waiting for a pass that just isn't there.

He still REALLY needs to work on that handle and getting stronger. I think that's what's most holding him back. Durant was/is skinny as **** but he's 6'10 with a hell of a lot better jumpshot. That size frame ain't gonna get it done against NBA small forwards.

I think Wiggins is the only player who can score 41 (and have an all around game-changing impact like he did in that second half, since I know most people weren't actually watching) and people will spend more words finding criticisms than praise. I heard ESPN spend 5 minutes talking about how Parker is the first freshman to score 30 and 10 against UNC in X number of years, then off-handedly diminish Wiggins night by saying "he did it while down 25 to a non-tournament team." I fail to see how turning it on when the rest of his team was essentially useless all game can be a fault. 

Last edited:
Cause I'm pretty sure wiggins was called the best prospect since Lebron or something to that extent.

When given those lofty goals / expectations expect for the criticism to be at an all time high.
Yeah, and that hype was blown up due to the media and internet commenters like yourself. People are reacting to hype they themselves propagated. Do you not see the problem there? It's not like Wiggins came out and declared himself the next Lebron. I also think people have a tenuous at best understanding of the word "prospect."

Last edited:
With all that said what do you guys think his ceiling is? Instead of constantly complaining that he's getting unfair criticism or saying "I told you so! He isn't Corey Brewer!" why don't we talk about what you see him doing at the next level. We all know he isn't LeBron by now, and we all should have known he wasn't going to be Corey Brewer, so how do you see him at the next level?

Yeah, and that hype was blown up due to the media and internet commenters like yourself. People are reacting to hype they themselves propagated. Do you not see the problem there? It's not like Wiggins came out and declared himself the next Lebron. I also think people have a tenuous at best understanding of the word "prospect."

Exactly, Wiggins has never hyped himself up or singled himself out at the least bit, it's all the media.

Anybody who really followed him and watched him play knew exactly what to expect and his true potential. So many of y'all in this thread let the media inform your basketball opinion instead of doing due diligence and then wanna criticize, even when he dominates :lol:.

Scores more points than any of the other big name freshman while being the best defender on his team and people still try to shade him.

His body is fine, he's not too skinny and is already strong, he'll have no problem putting weight on, look at his shoulders. Not like he doesn't have a freakish wingspan/speed/lateral quickness :lol:

Last edited:
No.

I never commented on the kid so no reason to pull the cape out.

Just answering the mans questions regarding this wiggins thing.
This is exactly the type of comment that prevents reasonable discourse on this site. "Pull the cape out"? Grow the **** up man, I wasn't literally saying you were the one hyping him up, I was making a general point about amateur spectators making proclamations about prospects based on <10 hours of exposure. And to the other poster, purely speculative guesses about "ceiling" and "player comparison" are useless and only lead to people making stupid claims like the Corey Brewer one. 

Corey Brewer as a 20-21 year old junior: 13.2 pts, 47.5% FG, 33.6% 3PT, 72.3% FT, 4.7 RPG, 2.9 AST, 1.9 STL, .4 BPG

Wiggins as a 18-19 year old freshman: 16.8, 45.2%, 34.5%, 76.5% , 5.9 RPG, 1.6 AST, 1.2 STL, .9 BPG 

Brewer put up 7.5, 3, and 2 his freshman year. This is why I don't like people making comparisons. What's the point of trying to compare college players who have never played a minute in the NBA against multi year veteran pros who have undoubtedly improved since entering the league? Paul George scored under 8 pts and shot under 30% from 3 his rookie season, and now I'm sure some of you think he's one of the 10 best players in the league. Players can change dramatically in a short period of time. 

Last edited:

This is exactly the type of comment that prevents reasonable discourse on this site. "Pull the cape out"? Grow the **** up man, I wasn't literally saying you were the one hyping him up, I was making a general point about amateur spectators making proclamations about prospects based on <10 hours of exposure. And to the other poster, purely speculative guesses about "ceiling" and "player comparison" are useless and only lead to people making stupid claims like the Corey Brewer one. 

Corey Brewer as a 20-21 year old junior: 13.2 pts, 47.5% FG, 33.6% 3PT, 72.3% FT, 4.7 RPG, 2.9 AST, 1.9 STL, .4 BPG

Wiggins as a 18-19 year old freshman: 16.8, 45.2%, 34.5%, 76.5% , 5.9 RPG, 1.6 AST, 1.2 STL, .9 BPG 

Brewer put up 7.5, 3, and 2 his freshman year. This is why I don't like people making comparisons. 
It's the internet. It's what people do, we make projections. It's fun. Before the internet, folks were still doing that believe it or not.

There's no reason a discussion on Wiggins' ceiling couldn't be reasonable.

Just because you don't like making comparisons doesn't mean nobody else should either. You bringing up stat lines really doesn't do much of anything since the discussion would be on how Wiggins would be as a pro, not a collegiate. Not to mention college stats are extremely misleading and are really situational.

It's not fun though, it's stupid and pointless. How else do you suggest we project Wiggins ability as a pro aside from looking at his performance in college? I can say that to me, he looks like a very good driver, great at drawing fouls, good shooter with fine mechanics, great defensive impact, and with a style of play that will only benefit from the spacing and flow of an NBA game. But someone's just going to claim that he can't dribble, has a broken shot, and doesn't have the body to play in the NBA. We'll learn nothing from that conversation. Qualitative evaluations are useless when people are obviously bringing their biases into it. I'll admit I'm overly defensive of Wiggins, because the backlash against his extremely solid season is representative of the worst qualities of Internet opinion swings. Everyone wants to be the first to make a contrarian point. At least I can acknowledge my biases though.

Last edited:

It's not fun though, it's stupid and pointless. How else do you suggest we project Wiggins ability as a pro aside from looking at his performance in college? I can say that to me, he looks like a very good driver, great at drawing fouls, good shooter with fine mechanics, great defensive impact, and with a style of play that will only benefit from the spacing and flow of an NBA game. But someone's just going to claim that he can't dribble, has a broken shot, and doesn't have the body to play in the NBA. We'll learn nothing from that conversation.
It's stupid and pointless to project prospects? Then why are you even in this thread
laugh.gif
you're just going to be frustrated because that's what the thread is about: Projecting talent and seeing how these guys would impact teams at the next level.

Obviously you take what he's done in college and try to project how that would look in the pros. My point was, posting stat lines doesn't prove much of anything. College stats are very skewed. Especially when you think about how different the NBA game is (shorter shot clock being a major difference)

General discussion about a player's skills and potential isn't pointless, attempting to make direct one-to-one comparisons is. You keep making he point about college stats being situational and skewed. Guess what, the same is true of the NBA! How can you make these narrow, specific projections without knowing the roles a player will have on his new team (and more importantly, how his skills will develop during his professional career)? 

What do you guys think of Delon Wright and Elfrid Payton?
Payton should garner a top-20 selection in the '14 class, that's if I was drafting. He may fall due to lack of exposure and perceived strength in the class. Premium size/length, rebounds exceptionally well for a guard, and active hands and pesky on the perimeter. Flaws are Payton needs to cut down on turnovers and his perimeter shooting is weak.

Payton should garner a top-20 selection in the '14 class, that's if I was drafting. He may fall due to lack of exposure and perceived strength in the class. Premium size/length, rebounds exceptionally well for a guard, and active hands and pesky on the perimeter. Flaws are Payton needs to cut down on turnovers and his perimeter shooting is weak.
Eh, scouts know about Payton. He was on Team USA this past summer too. I really like his game and I'm not sure if lack of exposure will hurt him that much honestly. Maybe to ESPN, but these scouts definitely know about him. 

That's a completely different Wiggins than the one I saw earlier in the year.

That's a completely different Wiggins than the one I saw earlier in the year.

Yeah. Wiggins turned it up. At the start of the year I thought he was underwhelming and Jabari Parker was loads better, but shame on me for not giving it time. I know better. Regardless, Wiggins looks good.

The thing is.. plenty of people were preaching patience with Wiggins and all we heard in return was "Well if he's the most hyped since Lebron, he should be putting up numbers day 1"

And the exact same thing will happen when he gets to the league. Watch his first 30-40 games be "a bust" and you'll hear plenty of people chirping, then he's going to turn it up and show his potential and everyone will backtrack.

Sports period has a huge "instant gratification" culture.

Anyone who's been here since 2003 remembers the reckless **** people were saying about Lebron after his first summer league game.

"14 points? This guy supposed to be the next MJ"

"The Chosen one got dunked on by a white boy"

If you get a big time label put on you...people want to see it immediately. Look at the posts in here from that KU-Duke game. People were saying some ridiculous ****.

Still don't see wiggins as this franchise star...do think he will be in the league for awhile tho

While he shined against Oklahoma St the other day his numbers while being guarded by fellow 1st round projected Marcus Smart was terrible

A lot of times the biggest thing with drafts is situations....going to the wrong team can ruin a player

Whoever goes to Orlando will be in a decent situation

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom