2015-2016 NBA Regular Season - MDA to HOU - All-NBA - Harden snubbed - Anthony Davis is broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name="FlyerThanDelta"]So this is ESPN Top 100 Rank so far

84. Dennis Johnson
85. Dave Debusschere
86. Chris Bosh
87. Chauncey Billups
88. Billy Cunningham
89. Yao Ming
90. Paul Arizin
91. Mo Cheeks
92. Nate Thurmond
93. Lenny Wilkens
94. Mark Price
95. Marc Gasol
96. Bobby Jones
97. James Harden
98. Gail Goodrich
99. Kevin Love
100. Shawn Kemp
This list is going to accomplish nothing positive in here. :lol:[/quote]

Lol I can tell already

serious question

are there any europeans that shoot under 55% from the line? 
nerd.gif

I think people undervalue the skill behind free throw shooting.

Just because someone shoots great free throws, doesn't mean that someone else should do so too.

If you're 5'9, and work really hard on jumping, you probably won't jump as high as prime Nate Robinson. Similarly, just because you practice really hard on Free Throws, doesn't mean you'll be very good at it. You may improve, but you'll never be good at it. I, with my own eyes, have seen DJ practice with an expert shooting coach on his Free Throws. Sometimes, certain skills just aren't in the cards for players.

If you want to exploit a loophole in the rules then so be it, but it's becoming a widespread thing and one has to always remember that, the NBA is a production that by in large is fan driven. There's data driven metrics that prove that this is much more widespread than it's given credit for. Doesn't appear that the rule change is imminent, but in regards to hacking, I could see it being changed very soon.
genetics play a huge role in jumping ability. there is a physical limitation. there is no physical limitation for shooting a free throw. whether ur 5'5 or 7'0, you can swish just the same as everybody else. so i cant give them a pass like that.

i agree with that just cause you work hard doesn't mean that it will translate. but if you're doing the same thing and getting similar results then maybe you should try something different. just cause DJ is working with an expert shooting coach doesn't mean that's the shooting coach for him. not getting results is never the answer brah and shooting 40% ft shouldn't be reality.

IDK , man. I feel like even if DJ started shooting FTs underhanded he wouldn't improve that much. He just has problems with touch. Even underhanded, he'd lob up some airballs and some shots that would fly off the backboard. Serious.

i agree with that just cause you work hard doesn't mean that it will translate. but if you're doing the same thing and getting similar results then maybe you should try something different. just cause DJ is working with an expert shooting coach doesn't mean that's the shooting coach for him. not getting results is never the answer brah and shooting 40% ft shouldn't be reality.

IDK , man. I feel like even if DJ started shooting FTs underhanded he wouldn't improve that much. He just has problems with touch. Even underhanded, he'd lob up some airballs and some shots that would fly off the backboard. Serious.

famb have you ever try to shoot underhand? it's nothing but airballs for me lol.

Former NBA All-Star Cliff Robinson to enter weed business

Just call him Spliff Robinson.

Former NBA All-Star Cliff Robinson, who played on five teams including the Portland Trail Blazers throughout his career, is going into the marijuana game.

Robinson will open a business where he lives in Portland, Ore., under the aptly named Uncle Spliffy - a play on the nickname he earned on the hardwood, Uncle Cliffy.

"It's an opportunity for me to get out there and tell people a little bit about myself outside of basketball," Robinson told the Portland Business Journal. "People in Oregon know me as a basketball player, but I want to distill the stigma around cannabis, the misperception that athletes and cannabis are incompatible."

There's no timetable for the launch of the business, but the website UncleSpliffy.com has a coming soon message, with a massive pot leaf in the background.

http://nydn.us/1nBcdva

I'm not going to give grown men who get payed millions of dollars to do something professionally, a pass on being unable to do something that a 10 year old can do with more consistency. I refuse to. But then again I don't root for a team who this practice is constantly used on.

nah i was using GSW as an example for why its ridiculous to try to peg whats a "hack" and what isnt. becuz ull obviously foul away from the ball on ANY team with a good FT handling the ball. its not a hack. its a smart foul. so how do u differentiate? like, if i saw steph with the ball and we gotta foul, i gotta foul draymond like u said. im not hacking a draymond.... its just, i cant put steph on the line and we need to stop the clock...
Wut

Then they get a free throw (by anyone on the floor) and the ball back. You can't intentionally foul away from the ball in the last 2 minutes.

hes too proud to even try underhanded. and i understand that pride. i would be embarrassed in a rec league game. i cant imagine on a nationally televised game

genetics play a huge role in jumping ability. there is a physical limitation. there is no physical limitation for shooting a free throw. whether ur 5'5 or 7'0, you can swish just the same as everybody else. so i cant give them a pass like that.
I'd disagree.

Steph Curry, and JJ Redick's shooting is a genetic feat. It's something that naturally came to them. They were predisposed to shooting the ball at an elite level. Sure they worked to harness that, but the skill was already there.

We see the connection between overall shooting and free throw shooting. Free throw shooting, like shooting overall, is a skill and to a degree is inherited. You can work all you want, but you won't shoot as well as yae yae or JJ. 

I'm not going to give grown men who get payed millions of dollars to do something professionally, a pass on being unable to do something that a 10 year old can do with more consistency. I refuse to. But then again I don't root for a team who this practice is constantly used on.

I'd disagree.

Steph Curry, and JJ Redick's shooting is a genetic feat. It's something that naturally came to them. They were predisposed to shooting the ball at an elite level. Sure they worked to harness that, but the skill was already there.

We see the connection between overall shooting and free throw shooting. Free throw shooting, like shooting overall, is a skill and to a degree is inherited. You can work all you want, but you won't shoot as well as yae yae or JJ. 
while ur right, i still dont think its an all or nothing. if u made it to the nba, you possess the ability to shoot with no distractions from 15 feet. shooting from 28 feet like steph and jj is a bit different. but 15? its literally a flick of the wrist. shots that children hit. shots that mj has hit with his eyes literally closed. i just CANT give them an excuse man.

nah i was using GSW as an example for why its ridiculous to try to peg whats a "hack" and what isnt. becuz ull obviously foul away from the ball on ANY team with a good FT handling the ball. its not a hack. its a smart foul. so how do u differentiate? like, if i saw steph with the ball and we gotta foul, i gotta foul draymond like u said. im not hacking a draymond.... its just, i cant put steph on the line and we need to stop the clock...

Wut

Then they get a free throw (by anyone on the floor) and the ball back. You can't intentionally foul away from the ball in the last 2 minutes.

You take it from here JD. Like a fax machine, I can't eem call it.

Last edited:
Comparing a 10 year shooting free throws to an NBA player shooting free throws in an actual game as if they are remotely the same 
roll.gif

Has nothing to do with being a fan of a team that the hacking is used on man.

while ur right, i still dont think its an all or nothing. if u made it to the nba, you possess the ability to shoot with no distractions from 15 feet. shooting from 28 feet like steph and jj is a bit different. but 15? its literally a flick of the wrist. shots that children hit. shots that mj has hit with his eyes literally closed. i just CANT give them an excuse man.
Bro this isn't an excuse this is real life.

Children shooting free throws is not the same as a player shooting free throw amidst NBA circumstances, come on man. 

This ain't an excuse, this is real life. Some people can't jump high, some people can't dribble, some people can't shoot free throws. Some can become marginally better, but not everything is within the cards for all players. 

If DJ, or Dwight, or whoever, is getting the best of the best and working their tails off to get better, that should tell you something man.

Last edited:

I'd disagree.

if you want to say that DJ's ceiling for ft shooting is 40% then i don't know what you tell you. working hard doesn't mean working smart. i'm not sure whether it's mental or physical but whatever DJ is doing or hasn't done isn't working so he gotta find something new to fix it.

if you want to say that DJ's ceiling for ft shooting is 40% then i don't know what you tell you. working hard doesn't mean working smart. i'm not sure whether it's mental or physical but whatever DJ is doing or hasn't done isn't working so he gotta find something new to fix it.
So what do you suggest he do to try and fix it? 

He's working with the best of the best and is still terrible.

Dwight is working the best of the best and is still terrible. 

It's not a simple fix and while he could (and some would argue should be a better free throw shooter) stand to become a better free throw shooter, it's not as easy as saying "work harder," or "work smarter" you know? 

DJ's form aint even that bad. Like previously stated, i just dont think he's practicing the right way.

As a shooter, the most important thing is to understand the mechanics of your shot. So you can fix whatever the issue is when you miss. DJ doesnt look like he understands.

Should try some meditation and visualization training, it's in his head. He goes up there expecting to me, you can see it in his eyes soon as he's fouled he wants to eat a Snickers and get away .

I swear i'm not making excuses for DJ's poor free throw shooting but people really are attacking this as if it's simple fix. We really got people saying that DJ should be a better free throw shooter because 10 year olds can shoot from 15 feet.

That mindset represents that comes with the fallacy behind how the fan approaches free throw shooting. 

"Why can't he shoot free throws well? I see my son shoot free throws well every saturday at the park" as if it's that simple. 

So what do you suggest he do to try and fix it? 

He's working with the best of the best and is still terrible.

Dwight is working the best of the best and is still terrible. 

It's not a simple fix and while he could (and some would argue should be a better free throw shooter) stand to become a better free throw shooter, it's not as easy as saying "work harder," or "work smarter" you know? 

1. find a new trainer: just cause that person is a top trainer doesn't necessary mean he is the right trainer for DJ
2. seek a sports psychiatry: maybe it's something mentally.

you saying that at least it appears that DJ is working hard doesn't excuse him from shooting 40% from the line. 40% 40% 40% lol
like i said he gotta switch it up if whatever he's doing to improve it isn't working.

You can shoot 85% in an empty gym but what happens when the bright lights are on you with the game on the line & there's 30,000 people in the arena? What happens to your confidence when you shoot 30+ FT's & miss 23 of em?

FT shooting is 50% mental. If you go to the line shook you're probably gonna miss both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom