2015-2016 NBA Regular Season - MDA to HOU - All-NBA - Harden snubbed - Anthony Davis is broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suns GM wants 'mulligan' on Isaiah Thomas trade with Celtics

635920182889915493-USP-NBA--Boston-Celtics-at-Utah-Jazz.jpg

Hindsight’s always 20/20, but there’s one deal that’s been eating at Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough.

The Suns dealt pint-sized PG Isaiah Thomas to the Celtics just minutes before the 2015 deadline, and as has been widely documented, Thomas has blossomed into an All-Star in Boston.

The Suns entered last year’s trade deadline with a logjam in their backcourt, which was momentarily freed up when Goran Dragic requested a trade and was ultimately moved to Miami. Phoenix countered by adding Brandon Knight, but that still left Thomas having to contend for minutes with both Knight and Eric Bledsoe. Realizing the predicament, McDonough called the Celtics shortly before the deadline and cut a deal for one of their first-round picks.

Thomas, fresh off his first All-Star game, is having a career-year while the Celtics (33-25) own the No. 3 seed. The Suns, meanwhile, own the second-worst record in the league at 14-43.

“I think in retrospect trading Isaiah Thomas when we did was a mistake,” McDonough told ArizonaSports98.7 radio station. “He wanted more, he wanted a bigger role, and I understand why. In retrospect, we should’ve carried him into the summer. If there’s one (move) that stands out, if I could get a mulligan, that’d be it.”

That’s not surprising given how it worked out, but it’s always interesting to hear that type of candor from a GM.

Where do you guys realistically see Dwert ending up?

Where does he make a difference?

I don't see him going anywhere where he is required to take a leadership role

Damnit please don't tell me it'll be the effing Lebron and friends team again

Last edited:
JJ has always been about the money. This is the same player that left a prime Nash phx suns to get paid in Atlanta. Nothing's changed and that's a shame.

Suns GM wants 'mulligan' on Isaiah Thomas trade with Celtics

635920182889915493-USP-NBA--Boston-Celtics-at-Utah-Jazz.jpg

Hindsight’s always 20/20, but there’s one deal that’s been eating at Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough.

The Suns dealt pint-sized PG Isaiah Thomas to the Celtics just minutes before the 2015 deadline, and as has been widely documented, Thomas has blossomed into an All-Star in Boston.

The Suns entered last year’s trade deadline with a logjam in their backcourt, which was momentarily freed up when Goran Dragic requested a trade and was ultimately moved to Miami. Phoenix countered by adding Brandon Knight, but that still left Thomas having to contend for minutes with both Knight and Eric Bledsoe. Realizing the predicament, McDonough called the Celtics shortly before the deadline and cut a deal for one of their first-round picks.

Thomas, fresh off his first All-Star game, is having a career-year while the Celtics (33-25) own the No. 3 seed. The Suns, meanwhile, own the second-worst record in the league at 14-43.

“I think in retrospect trading Isaiah Thomas when we did was a mistake,” McDonough told ArizonaSports98.7 radio station. “He wanted more, he wanted a bigger role, and I understand why. In retrospect, we should’ve carried him into the summer. If there’s one (move) that stands out, if I could get a mulligan, that’d be it.”

That’s not surprising given how it worked out, but it’s always interesting to hear that type of candor from a GM.

View media item 1928934

Where do you guys realistically see Dwert ending up?
Where does he make a difference?
I don't see him going anywhere where he is required to take a leadership role
Damnit please don't tell me it'll be the effing Lebron and friends team again
I had this thought the other day, how much the Lakers and Dwight could use each other this summer. Won't happen, but just something I thought would've made some sense had 2012-13 not happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom