2015-2016 NBA Regular Season - MDA to HOU - All-NBA - Harden snubbed - Anthony Davis is broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Rockets lack of imagination on the offensive end is due to the identify of it's players (Harden / Howard / Lawson) more so than McHale's ineptness I believe. Pat Beverly was the perfect fit next to James Harden and the gamble of Lawson so far as ruined that 3 and D dynamic that Beverly provided.Howard's injury riddled regression thus far in conjunction with Houston being flat out cold from Deep to start the season is really why they have struggled, not McHale.

And Harden has legit regressed a bit so far defensively after making strides last year. The pairing of him and lawson in the backcourt hasn't been good on either end but especially on defense, and with howard being in and out of the lineup their defensive ineptness has only been magnified. 

Realistically there's no coach that's going to make the Rockets play with more flow and ball / player movement as long as Harden is on the team. 

Last edited:

The Rockets lack of imagination on the offensive end is due to the identify of it's players (Harden / Howard / Lawson) more so than McHale's ineptness I believe. Pat Beverly was the perfect fit next to James Harden and the gamble of Lawson so far as ruined that 3 and D dynamic that Beverly provided.Howard's injury riddled regression thus far in conjunction with Houston being flat out cold from Deep to start the season is really why they have struggled, not McHale.

And Harden has legit regressed a bit so far defensively after making strides last year. The pairing of him and lawson in the backcourt hasn't been good on either end but especially on defense, and with howard being in and out of the lineup their defensive ineptness has only been magnified. 

Realistically there's no coach that's going to make the Rockets play with more flow and ball / player movement as long as Harden is on the team. 
agreed.... just team dna... same way with okc and everyone blaming scott brooks for the okc offense. 

agreed.... just team dna... same way with okc and everyone blaming scott brooks for the okc offense. 
Exactly. 100%. QFT.

Often times, these coaches are blamed for their own players lack of sophistication on offense. I can almost guarantee you that McHale and his cabinet do not go into huddles and say "Harden / howard screen roll, and everyone else just stand around."

In the NBA, the best offenses, (Spurs / Warriors / Clips, Hawks,) are not the product of coaches and their playcalling. More often than not, it is the players imagination and as you said "Team DNA" that usher that ball movement / player movement. Great offenses are pretty much random, although they have a great starting Base. (and I guess you could say McHale's Rockets lacked a great starting base for good random offense to arise, but I would disagree)

What more was mchale supposed to do with the make up of that team?

A lot of guys are screaming for creativity from these coaches when that's not what it takes when you have top tier players. The Brad Stevens' of the world have to be creative. Maybe I'm missing something but what do the Warriors do offensively that's so transcendent or is it the parts that make the system so effective

lowry end of the gm decisions :x
when you rely on demar isos :x
w's almost dun goofed last night

mchale shouldve been gone a long time ago. nice guy, questionable coach. probably gonna head back to minny :nerd: (hopefully, not as a coach)

Last edited:

disagree in part.

the pairing of lawson and harden isn't working. clearly. but mchale has a ton of flaws. offensively, they run floppy with the GOAL of getting harden an isolation on the wing. the guy setting the screen slowly fades off and doesn't even make himself an option. these are coaching things.

first few games of the season, Marcus Thornton doesn't play at all. Terrence Jones gets hurt, Thornton is starting all of a sudden. rockets are 4-0 with thornton starting and playing small, jones gets healthy and automatically inserted back in the starting lineup.

Beating miami by 20 at half without dwight. playing clint capela and having him at least slow down whiteside, second half capela doesn't play and we lose by 20. mchale is a player development guy, not a head coach.

A lot of guys are screaming for creativity from these coaches when that's not what it takes when you have top tier players. The Brad Stevens' of the world have to be creative. Maybe I'm missing something but what do the Warriors do offensively that's so transcendent or is it the parts that make the system so effective

The Warriors offense is perfect. That's an awful example. They score so many points just off ball and man movement. Obviously having talent helps but the system is great. No doubt about that.

Mchale is truly not a good coach. All it takes is watching that team for 5 minutes and you see that they literally have no offense, literally. He's a good rah rah guy but that's about it. It's hard to tell if houston even has a coach or holds practice, some type of system. It was ridiculous how bad their offense was at times

The Warriors can run offensive sets when needed, even though a lot of their offense is generated off the break and teams hedging off of Curry so hard that it constantly breaks down the opposing defense. When it all comes down to it, the Warriors can move the ball extremely well and generate an offense without having to play street ball similar to the Spurs.

I don't get that vibe from teams like the Rockets and Thunder. Those two teams strictly try to run it down the opposing teams throat, isolating their best players more than 50% of the time and jacking up shots early. I've watched a few more OKC games than HOU games, but when I'm watching OKC that's exactly what I see. Fortunately, for these squads, these star players are so talented that it still can help them win enough games. But, that doesn't seem to be the case so far in the season.

I don't think anyone is saying McHale is a coaching mastermind but he's had the most progress with the squad in a long time and the players seemed to enjoy playing for him.

Now I can understand the counterpoint of his lack of adjustments being crippling so it sounds like a Mark Jackson situation. Players coach and they all love him but he can't actually coach them through situations but in this case the problem extends past McHale. Some of these guys just haven't shown up yet.

You could have inserted almost any decent coach into the equation and gotten similar results. I credit McHale for getting Dwight to take a backseat to JH at the onset. That's where it stops. The credit should go to Morey for making moves. Lol at multi year NBA players "not showing up" 11 games into the season. What? Harden already had a 40+ and 35+ point game. Against the 2 best teams we've played all year. Dwight 20/20. Ty has had double digit assists. Capela has improved astronomically. Harrell a diamond in the rough.

and you're saying the same guys that fought hard with that comeback in the WCSF are "just not showing up".

His rotations have been suspect, his Xs and Os even more suspect. Those are THE most crippling things to this franchise. And all of these things are symptoms of coaching issues. Like I say, you really gotta watch the Rockets nightly to not be fooled by the success we've had. We're lucky we've rode this wave for so long in this very competitive West

disagree in part.

the pairing of lawson and harden isn't working. clearly. but mchale has a ton of flaws. offensively, they run floppy with the GOAL of getting harden an isolation on the wing. the guy setting the screen slowly fades off and doesn't even make himself an option. these are coaching things.

first few games of the season, Marcus Thornton doesn't play at all. Terrence Jones gets hurt, Thornton is starting all of a sudden. rockets are 4-0 with thornton starting and playing small, jones gets healthy and automatically inserted back in the starting lineup.

Beating miami by 20 at half without dwight. playing clint capela and having him at least slow down whiteside, second half capela doesn't play and we lose by 20. mchale is a player development guy, not a head coach.

I don't even know if they'll hear you out, fam. Hopefully they do so they can stop painting the McHale detractors just random scorned fans.

I'm not discrediting the Warriors great ball movement. They're a great team because of it. The rockets don't move the ball because they're best two players would rather ISO. I'm saying its a players league and that dictates a lot of the offenses.

The difference between Blatt and Mchale?

disagree in part.

Have watched the Rockets a lot this season and I will concede, the handling of Marcus Thorton has been bad. That Miami game where Capela didn't play the 2nd half was a bad decision. Mind bottling even. Don't understand why He even took Thorton out of the starting lineup in the first place.

But what I would argue is that the P&R and Stand around offense, or the fact that the ball really just stops whenever Harden catches it (whether it be a 2/4 or 2/5 P&R, or Floppy) is more of a product of Harden, not McHale. The point i'm getting at is that there isn't a coach in the league who's going to change this. It's who Harden was at ASU, it's who he is in the league. If he's making shots, Rockets win and they look good. He isn't, they aren't, and McHale gets Canned. Is what it is. 

At least this is how I see it 
laugh.gif
 You watch them more than me and in a bit more detailed so you probably have a better handle on what's going on.

I'm not discrediting the Warriors great ball movement. They're a great team because of it. The rockets don't move the ball because they're best two players would rather ISO. I'm saying its a players league and that dictates a lot of the offenses.

The difference between Blatt and Mchale?
agreed.... iso players arent going to start or be able to do other things doesnt matter what offense it is. thats just player dna.  you try to run the warriors offense with a team like hous or pick any other team and  its just not going to work. ty lawson should never be on the court the same time harden is. 

Last edited:
remember when people thought okc was going to be the best team in the league because brooks was gone? 

remember when people thought okc was going to be the best team in the league because brooks was gone? 
people see stars and talent and forget about the team aspect and how parts fit. okc was never winning anything. those same people always bring up if harden stayed in okc dynasty talk.  thats just nonsense. to many chiefs not enough indians. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom