2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JJs07, what you just posted is totally different than what I was speaking about.  Having someone relaying signs from the bleachers in the outfield is not the same thing as what I was thinking (players picking signals).  I dont condone that at all.

@JJs07
, what you just posted is totally different than what I was speaking about.  Having someone relaying signs from the bleachers in the outfield is not the same thing as what I was thinking (players picking signals).  I dont condone that at all.

Check this out:

"Not too easy, is it?"

From the visitors bullpen at Rogers Centre in Toronto, an American League pitcher screamed at Blue Jays right fielder Jose Bautista as he took his position late in a game in the spring of 2010.

"It's not too [f------] easy to hit home runs when you don't know what's coming!"

The enraged player and his teammates could hardly believe what they had seen in the previous inning. As they sat on the perch above the right-field bullpen at Rogers, they caught sight of a man dressed in white about 25 yards to their right, out among the blue center-field seats. And while the players watched, the man in white seemingly signaled the pitches the visiting pitcher was throwing against the Jays, according to four sources in the bullpen that day.

Link

You are saying that you wouldnt mind seeing a batter charge the mound and hit the pitcher with the bat like he was hitting a ball?  SMH.

Ridiculous.  You ***** and moan about how intentionally drilling a hitter has no business in baseball and then you say this? 

You didn't read what I said correctly or Choose to only read what you wanted to read.

You seem sensitive though. Because I don't feel intentionally beaning someone with a fastball belongs in sports I'm "*****ing and moaning" in your eyes? That's a sheltered and ignorant way of thinking if that's how you react to anyone who disagrees with you.

If someone accidentally gets hit that's one thing but if you intentionally still someone that's an issue. If someone purposely hurts you and provokes it. Why not hit them with a bat. Perhaps your not aware of it, but getting hit in the head with a fastball can cause serious injury. If a pitcher has no regard for a players safety and is headhunting on purposes then I see nothing wrong with the player who got drilled cracking the pitcher a few times with a bat.

Last edited:
A few years ago José Offerman went after the picker with his bat but it was during a Independent league game. I think he ended up getting charged with assault and the catcher ended up suing him too.

Chump move by the pitcher for suing him if the pitcher intentionally was throwing at him.

I'm not a fan of drilling people unless they disrespect you, then, I could at least understand it. But retaliating like the D-Backs did is pathetic. You wanna throw behind the guy to send a message, fine, but don't drill him when he's just going out there to do his job.

You are saying that you wouldnt mind seeing a batter charge the mound and hit the pitcher with the bat like he was hitting a ball?  SMH.

Ridiculous.  You ***** and moan about how intentionally drilling a hitter has no business in baseball and then you say this? 
You didn't read what I said correctly or Choose to only read what you wanted to read.

You seem sensitive though. Because I don't feel intentionally beaning someone with a fastball belongs in sports I'm "*****ing and moaning" in your eyes? That's a sheltered and ignorant way of thinking if that's how you react to anyone who disagrees with you.

If someone accidentally gets hit that's one thing but if you intentionally still someone that's an issue. If someone purposely hurts you and provokes it. Why not hit them with a bat. Perhaps your not aware of it, but getting hit in the head with a fastball can cause serious injury. If a pitcher has no regard for a players safety and is headhunting on purposes then I see nothing wrong with the player who got drilled cracking the pitcher a few times with a bat.
You have been complaining about players getting hit intentionally ad nauseum....so please dont act as if you said it one time.  And it is not how I react to anyone who disagrees with me.

I am very aware that being hit in the head can cause serious injury.  There are very few cases, if any, where a pitcher has purposely hit a player in the head.  If you wanna back someone off the plate, throw it up and in....if you want to hit someone, throw it at his *** or lower back.  That is common baseball thought. 

The problem here is that you are taking an extreme example and using that to base your opinion on it.  Pitchers are not headhunting.  That just doesnt happen like you seem to claim it does.  So from my point of view, intentionally drilling a batter in the back and a batter charging the mound swinging a bat at a pitcher are not comparable, nor are they even in the same universe.

Last edited:
We'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't want to hijack this thread about "unwritten rules" and intentionally drilling players.

It don't have no place in the sport in 2014. That's just how I see it. If a guy accidentally drills someone due to control issues that's one thing, but I just can't cosign purposely drilling someone regardless of the perceived "disrespect" a hitter may have shown after hitting a home run or whatever.

dland24 dland24

i had a question in regards to beaning players and you seem to be well versed on the subject. was hoping you or others could chime in on this. a big reason people say throwing at a batter is to "stick up for yourself or for your team". i heard a caller on sports radio mention that if a team doesn't have their pitcher throw at a batter, that team will get bullied and other teams will walk all over them. i understand the eye for an eye approach, but what other instances can another team get bullied?

don't mean to argue the point, i was just genuinely curious on the topic.

also, do the yankees throw at someone from the tigers after joba hit jeter last night?

Last edited:
If a pitcher has no regard for a players safety and is headhunting on purposes then I see nothing wrong with the player who got drilled cracking the pitcher a few times with a bat.

:rofl:

Yeah, that'll solve all of this.

How does a guy in the outfield get the signs all the way to the batter in the 2 seconds between sign, and pitch? :\

Are they wearing ear pieces or something? How is the batter looking out in the outfield pre pitch? That don't even make sense to me. :lol: I must have missed something.

dland24 dland24

i had a question in regards to beaning players and you seem to be well versed on the subject. was hoping you or others could chime in on this. a big reason people say throwing at a batter is to "stick up for yourself or for your team". i heard a caller on sports radio mention that if a team doesn't have their pitcher throw at a batter, that team will get bullied and other teams will walk all over them. i understand the eye for an eye approach, but what other instances can another team get bullied?

don't mean to argue the point, i was just genuinely curious on the topic.

also, do the yankees throw at someone from the tigers after joba hit jeter last night?
Since most teams enforce the eye for an eye rule, if you don't, teams will look at you soft and they know they can drill any of your players and you won't do ****.

There's still a level of respect you have to maintain. If not, all opposing are gonna pitch you hard/high and in consistently with no dambs given if they hit you. Now if they know that if they hit a guy, their superstar is gonna get hit right back, it makes pitchers think about all those high and inside pitches

On another note, if MLB got much more strict with suspensions and fines regarding intentionally hitting batters, do you think it would cause that stuff to decline alot.

I would think team owners would be in favor of it, considering how much some star players are making. Even though its an unlikely scenario, I would assume a team owner would be pissed if one of his best players were to miss time over getting beaned in the head or something of that nature.

I don't condone pitchers throwing at hitters either but we can't have players swinging bats at each other, you gotta be kidding me. :lol:

1. There would 100% be criminal charges. Intent would be obvious unlike throwing a baseball.

2. Someone would inevitably die on the field.

My personal opinion has always been that if you throw at my head, my next swing at an off speed pitch, that bat is "slipping" outta my hands.

Now, not directly at the pitchers shins, or the third baseman, but let's say, just to the side a little, in between the mound and shortstop. No real danger, no broken legs, but just a little movement to get the pitcher uneasy.

Then, I stroll on out to get my bat, and if I say a lil somethin and he don't like it, well then, I remove my helmet and we dance. :lol:

Machado did something "kinda" like that, but he actually almost made contact with someone, and that's not what my goal would be. A brushback of my own, so to speak.

I don't condone pitchers throwing at hitters either but we can't have players swinging bats at each other, you gotta be kidding me. :lol:

1. There would 100% be criminal charges. Intent would be obvious unlike throwing a baseball.

2. Someone would inevitably die on the field.

Understood but in some cases, cole hammels/Bryce Harper from a few seasons back, the malicious intent is blatantly obvious. Hitting someone with a bat is an extreme reaction, but so is intentionally beaning a young player who's playing well to try and put him in his place or no reason.

Its a reach but perhaps a player intentionally drilled could press charges as well if they chose to. Not saying they should, but perhaps they could pursue it if they choose to.

When you sign up to play, your aware you might accidentally get drilled with a fastball because pitchers do have control issues at times.

You didn't sign up to deal with some blowhard who in his eyes feels he's preserving the sport by drilling someone who did something he takes exception to.

That's just how I see it though.

I think I have seen maybe two or three well thrown punches that had intent behind it on the field in the many years I have been watching. I doubt these sissies are ever gonna pick up bats and charge at each other or even charge the mound for that matter. They just love to yap and jog and shove :lol:

Cubs put in claim for Jacob Turner, 23 year old pitcher from the Marlins.

Chris Bosio project? :nerd:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom