2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know man but that doesn't mean I like hearing it
laugh.gif

I just don't wanna shell out another $100mm contract for someone who probably doesn't deserve it.

Fair enough. Both New York and Boston missed on Fister. Now it seems like a fairly shallow free agent pool.
My take is I'd like to see the Yanks put more stock into developing Phil Hughes back to his 2010 form before he was overworked on innings. Hughes' fastball can be electric with velocity and movement when it's on and I truly believe he could be a solid #2 starter. Now I doubt the front office has the patience or trust to see that through. You're absolutely right about C.J. not deserving a monster five-year contract. I've been tracking him very closely and it's best for everyone if Wilson ends up staying with Texas. 

Fair enough. Both New York and Boston missed on Fister. Now it seems like a fairly shallow free agent pool.
My take is I'd like to see the Yanks put more stock into developing Phil Hughes back to his 2010 form before he was overworked on innings. Hughes' fastball can be electric with velocity and movement when it's on and I truly believe he could be a solid #2 starter. Now I doubt the front office has the patience or trust to see that through. You're absolutely right about C.J. not deserving a monster five-year contract. I've been tracking him very closely and it's best for everyone if Wilson ends up staying with Texas. 

Reds picked up the option on Brandon Phillips, declined Cordero.  The word is that they're trying to get a long-term deal with BP, but I think he'll want too much money and become a free agent after next season.  Hope i'm wrong.
Chapman is gonna start next season, that's the plan anyways.

Originally Posted by Proshares

I think I'll just use this as the offseason thread, no?

Yes, it's already stickied so perfect move. 

You gonna use the OP to update moves?  Or does that take up waaaaay too much of your time? 
laugh.gif

You do any new spreadsheets lately? 
nerd.gif
  Allen's is freaking awesome

Originally Posted by Proshares

I think I'll just use this as the offseason thread, no?

Yes, it's already stickied so perfect move. 

You gonna use the OP to update moves?  Or does that take up waaaaay too much of your time? 
laugh.gif

You do any new spreadsheets lately? 
nerd.gif
  Allen's is freaking awesome

I'll list the FA's in the OP but news and roster moves, I'll just post the article as normal and update the title.

Nah, none in a while. New job so I'm just trying to settle down into it more and more.

I'll list the FA's in the OP but news and roster moves, I'll just post the article as normal and update the title.

Nah, none in a while. New job so I'm just trying to settle down into it more and more.

Dodgers Allen Webster Eyeing Los Angeles.

Spoiler [+]
Converted shortstop Allen Webster served as the icing on the cake of my 2011 season as a September playoff appearance afforded me the opportunity to scout the young right-hander versus the Tennessee Smokies. And while Webster failed to make it out of the fourth inning, he showed enough for me to consider him a more complete pitching prospect than former teammate Nathan Eovaldi.

Armed with a usable four pitch mix, Webster displayed three big league pitches and a fourth with potential. And while command was an issue throughout the start, Webster may have simply been tired after a long minor league season. After a seven hit shutout in his final July start, Webster sputtered the rest of the way ending with this particular start.

Webster’s late season struggles may be due to a slight frame and perceived lack of durability. Listed at 6-foot-2, 165 pounds, Webster appeared to be swimming in his uniform and reminded me of current Angels reliever Scott Downs at the same age who was rehabbing from minor shoulder surgery during my brief time as a member of the University of Kentucky Wildcats. And while Webster generates impressive velocity in spite of his frame, his showing little development through the shoulders and lower half leaves me wondering how difficult it will be for him to add another 25-30 pounds of size.

From a mechanics standpoint, I didn’t really notice anything which would raise red flags even though his arm action was a bit short in the back of his delivery. This is actually pretty typical of position players who have been converted to the mound and saw similar from Padres prospect Casey Kelly when I scouted him as a Red Sox prospect in 2009. Webster’s ability to clean up his arm action a touch would make it much easier to project him a starter over the long haul.

In game action, Webster worked of a 91-93 MPH fastball which featured late run on the hands. While charting, Webster also touched 94, 95 and 96 MPH once indicating additional velocity is attainable. Even more promising is that Webster was able to maintain fastball movement at the upper registers.

In addition to his four-seam fastball, Webster also utilized an 89-91 MPH two-seamer with a bit more exaggerated run and drop. Initially, Webster’s velocity was a bit down out of the stretch, but it was only in passing as he showed an ability to maintain velocity with runners on base.

Webster’s best breaking ball in this outing was an 82-86 MPH slider with sharp, late action. His command was imperfect, but it’s a pitch which will miss plenty of barrels, if not bats already. With further refinement, it’s potentially a swing-and-miss offering for Webster.

A more frequently used curveball was a second breaking ball featured by Webster. At 77-80 MPH, touching 81, command of the offering was above average as Webster consistently kept the ball low in the strike zone. In this particular outing, the curve was his more effective offering and kept Tennessee Smokies hitters off-balanced. However, with a lack of late bite, it falls short of an out pitch for me at present. Another concern is his wrapping his wrist at times tipping the respective offering.

To complete his repertoire, Webster threw an 82-84 MPH changeup, touching 86. The pitch featured strong velocity separation from the fastball, but he did seem to telegraph it quite a bit by staying taller in his follow through. This left the impression Webster was more aiming the pitch than simply throwing it indicating a lack of feel.

Late to pitching, Webster is an excellent example of a pitching prospect who would be less impressive if his back story did not indicate limited pitching experience. With a strong feel for pitching at such a young age and only 350 or so innings under his belt, it’s possible to project more rapid development going forward. With his slender frame and tendency to short arm a bit, his floor is currently that of a strong armed reliever if Webster stalled out at his present ability level. However, it’s easy to envision a scenario where the Dodgers tweak his arm action and Webster continues to mature into his frame allowing his velocity to stabilize at 93-95 MPH range. With the possibility of three above average pitches in his prime, Webster’s top end projection is that of a 2-3 starter on a contender. Of course some things have to go right for this to happen, but Webster is already well ahead of his expected learning curve.

Mets to Alter Dimension of Citi Field.

Spoiler [+]
Citi Field, the nearly $800 million stadium built by and for the Mets, was the realization of a family dream, constructed with government financial backing and the support of two mayors. The stadium, with its Ebbets Field touches, was an ode to the past. With its Shake Shack burgers and lobster rolls, it was also a bold bid to cash in on pricey ballpark amenities.

On Monday, though, the team’s owners admitted, in a formal and final way, that they had botched the one most important thing in realizing their dream: they got the field wrong.

For the 2012 season, new walls will be constructed in three areas of the outfield to substantially diminish the outfield’s overly large dimensions. Most notable, the imposing 16-foot wall in left field, often called the Great Wall of Flushing, will now have a new eight-foot wall in front of it, with several rows of seats to fill in the gap between the two structures.

The changes are expected to make it easier to hit home runs at Citi Field and make the stadium less daunting for the team’s struggling power hitters. In particular, the Mets are making changes that could benefit David Wright, the 28-year-old star third baseman whose strikeout totals have soared and whose offensive numbers have gyrated and deteriorated since Citi Field opened.

The shorter distances can also only help Jason Bay, a high-priced free-agent slugger whose first two seasons in Flushing have been a modest disaster, in part because he, too, seems to have been flummoxed by Citi Field’s size.

General Manager Sandy Alderson denied at a Monday news conference that the stadium redesign was being made with any one player in mind.

Nevertheless, he acknowledged that “the ballpark was such a topic of conversation with respect to particular players and a variety of other issues that at some point it made sense to take a look at it.

Dodgers Allen Webster Eyeing Los Angeles.

Spoiler [+]
Converted shortstop Allen Webster served as the icing on the cake of my 2011 season as a September playoff appearance afforded me the opportunity to scout the young right-hander versus the Tennessee Smokies. And while Webster failed to make it out of the fourth inning, he showed enough for me to consider him a more complete pitching prospect than former teammate Nathan Eovaldi.

Armed with a usable four pitch mix, Webster displayed three big league pitches and a fourth with potential. And while command was an issue throughout the start, Webster may have simply been tired after a long minor league season. After a seven hit shutout in his final July start, Webster sputtered the rest of the way ending with this particular start.

Webster’s late season struggles may be due to a slight frame and perceived lack of durability. Listed at 6-foot-2, 165 pounds, Webster appeared to be swimming in his uniform and reminded me of current Angels reliever Scott Downs at the same age who was rehabbing from minor shoulder surgery during my brief time as a member of the University of Kentucky Wildcats. And while Webster generates impressive velocity in spite of his frame, his showing little development through the shoulders and lower half leaves me wondering how difficult it will be for him to add another 25-30 pounds of size.

From a mechanics standpoint, I didn’t really notice anything which would raise red flags even though his arm action was a bit short in the back of his delivery. This is actually pretty typical of position players who have been converted to the mound and saw similar from Padres prospect Casey Kelly when I scouted him as a Red Sox prospect in 2009. Webster’s ability to clean up his arm action a touch would make it much easier to project him a starter over the long haul.

In game action, Webster worked of a 91-93 MPH fastball which featured late run on the hands. While charting, Webster also touched 94, 95 and 96 MPH once indicating additional velocity is attainable. Even more promising is that Webster was able to maintain fastball movement at the upper registers.

In addition to his four-seam fastball, Webster also utilized an 89-91 MPH two-seamer with a bit more exaggerated run and drop. Initially, Webster’s velocity was a bit down out of the stretch, but it was only in passing as he showed an ability to maintain velocity with runners on base.

Webster’s best breaking ball in this outing was an 82-86 MPH slider with sharp, late action. His command was imperfect, but it’s a pitch which will miss plenty of barrels, if not bats already. With further refinement, it’s potentially a swing-and-miss offering for Webster.

A more frequently used curveball was a second breaking ball featured by Webster. At 77-80 MPH, touching 81, command of the offering was above average as Webster consistently kept the ball low in the strike zone. In this particular outing, the curve was his more effective offering and kept Tennessee Smokies hitters off-balanced. However, with a lack of late bite, it falls short of an out pitch for me at present. Another concern is his wrapping his wrist at times tipping the respective offering.

To complete his repertoire, Webster threw an 82-84 MPH changeup, touching 86. The pitch featured strong velocity separation from the fastball, but he did seem to telegraph it quite a bit by staying taller in his follow through. This left the impression Webster was more aiming the pitch than simply throwing it indicating a lack of feel.

Late to pitching, Webster is an excellent example of a pitching prospect who would be less impressive if his back story did not indicate limited pitching experience. With a strong feel for pitching at such a young age and only 350 or so innings under his belt, it’s possible to project more rapid development going forward. With his slender frame and tendency to short arm a bit, his floor is currently that of a strong armed reliever if Webster stalled out at his present ability level. However, it’s easy to envision a scenario where the Dodgers tweak his arm action and Webster continues to mature into his frame allowing his velocity to stabilize at 93-95 MPH range. With the possibility of three above average pitches in his prime, Webster’s top end projection is that of a 2-3 starter on a contender. Of course some things have to go right for this to happen, but Webster is already well ahead of his expected learning curve.

Mets to Alter Dimension of Citi Field.

Spoiler [+]
Citi Field, the nearly $800 million stadium built by and for the Mets, was the realization of a family dream, constructed with government financial backing and the support of two mayors. The stadium, with its Ebbets Field touches, was an ode to the past. With its Shake Shack burgers and lobster rolls, it was also a bold bid to cash in on pricey ballpark amenities.

On Monday, though, the team’s owners admitted, in a formal and final way, that they had botched the one most important thing in realizing their dream: they got the field wrong.

For the 2012 season, new walls will be constructed in three areas of the outfield to substantially diminish the outfield’s overly large dimensions. Most notable, the imposing 16-foot wall in left field, often called the Great Wall of Flushing, will now have a new eight-foot wall in front of it, with several rows of seats to fill in the gap between the two structures.

The changes are expected to make it easier to hit home runs at Citi Field and make the stadium less daunting for the team’s struggling power hitters. In particular, the Mets are making changes that could benefit David Wright, the 28-year-old star third baseman whose strikeout totals have soared and whose offensive numbers have gyrated and deteriorated since Citi Field opened.

The shorter distances can also only help Jason Bay, a high-priced free-agent slugger whose first two seasons in Flushing have been a modest disaster, in part because he, too, seems to have been flummoxed by Citi Field’s size.

General Manager Sandy Alderson denied at a Monday news conference that the stadium redesign was being made with any one player in mind.

Nevertheless, he acknowledged that “the ballpark was such a topic of conversation with respect to particular players and a variety of other issues that at some point it made sense to take a look at it.

Gold Glove Winners:
NL

Clayton Kershaw

Yadi Molina

Joey Votto

Brandon Phillips

Placido Palanco

Troy Tulowitski

Matt Kemp

Andre Ethier

Gerrardo Parra

AL

Mark Buerhle

Matt Weiters

Adrian Gonzalez

Dustin Pedroia

Adrian Beltre

Erick Aybar

Alex Gordon

Jacoby Ellsbury

Nick Markakis

Gold Glove Winners:
NL

Clayton Kershaw

Yadi Molina

Joey Votto

Brandon Phillips

Placido Palanco

Troy Tulowitski

Matt Kemp

Andre Ethier

Gerrardo Parra

AL

Mark Buerhle

Matt Weiters

Adrian Gonzalez

Dustin Pedroia

Adrian Beltre

Erick Aybar

Alex Gordon

Jacoby Ellsbury

Nick Markakis

How on God's green Earth do you give Markakis, Ethier, Kemp and Parra OF GG's but Gardner gets shafted
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom