2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Like I said, it will probably work in the short term, because a there's bound to be an attendance spike, and franchise value is ascertained through an analysis of revenue streams, attendance figures, tv deals, etc, so it will indeed go up a bit. But all those contracts still go in the books as liabilities. Which is the basis of my suggestion that the business model is unsustainable, and bankruptcy is inevitable. They're talking about potentially shelling out close to 500 million dollars in contracts (Bell, Reyes, Pujols?, Wilson?), for a franchise not worth close to that. And it's not like the owner is some billionaire Arab oil tycoon, Loria is an art dealer. Keep in mind, owner equity = assets - liabilities.

Make no mistake, the Miami Marlins project is one big calculated risk, hinging on the idea that if you build it, they will come. I'm very skeptical, because there is no generational baseball fanbase, because it a mid market, and because Miami is a fickle sports town. And they have won before, for all the good that did them. Like Pro said, this is Hicks/A-Rod, the sequel.

^Like I said, it will probably work in the short term, because a there's bound to be an attendance spike, and franchise value is ascertained through an analysis of revenue streams, attendance figures, tv deals, etc, so it will indeed go up a bit. But all those contracts still go in the books as liabilities. Which is the basis of my suggestion that the business model is unsustainable, and bankruptcy is inevitable. They're talking about potentially shelling out close to 500 million dollars in contracts (Bell, Reyes, Pujols?, Wilson?), for a franchise not worth close to that. And it's not like the owner is some billionaire Arab oil tycoon, Loria is an art dealer. Keep in mind, owner equity = assets - liabilities.

Make no mistake, the Miami Marlins project is one big calculated risk, hinging on the idea that if you build it, they will come. I'm very skeptical, because there is no generational baseball fanbase, because it a mid market, and because Miami is a fickle sports town. And they have won before, for all the good that did them. Like Pro said, this is Hicks/A-Rod, the sequel.

^^^ You seem intelligent but you're forgetting how Pujols boosts team value.

The naming rights to the ballpark alone have been negotiated for over a year, if Pujols signs that price tag nearly triples.

I'm employed by the Marlins so I can't say much online
nerd.gif
but since all this hoopla began season ticket requests have risen astronomically. This is an event town, not

a sports town no generational fan base needed. If you can bring your way too young for you arm candy to an event and be seen that's the hot ticket.

The risk is there if the team under performs and becomes stale and trades have to be made. I doubt they get Pujols anyway.

The naming rights to the ballpark alone have been negotiated for over a year, if Pujols signs that price tag nearly triples.

nerd.gif
but since all this hoopla began season ticket requests have risen astronomically. This is an event town, not

a sports town no generational fan base needed. If you can bring your way too young for you arm candy to an event and be seen that's the hot ticket.

The risk is there if the team under performs and becomes stale and trades have to be made. I doubt they get Pujols anyway.

Regardless of whether or not we get Pujols it's nice to finally see this franchise attempting to make a splash in free agency.

Regardless of whether or not we get Pujols it's nice to finally see this franchise attempting to make a splash in free agency.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

i get what you are saying and yes down the line it could be a risk plus injuries and everything else can just kill the team....i guess they are trying to go all in....i still think he ends up in STL...he would turn into lebron and everyone would hate him if he ever left i believe.....

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

i get what you are saying and yes down the line it could be a risk plus injuries and everything else can just kill the team....i guess they are trying to go all in....i still think he ends up in STL...he would turn into lebron and everyone would hate him if he ever left i believe.....

Originally Posted by miamib30514

nerd.gif

Remember Tom Hicks thought the same thing when they signed A-Rod.  He thought every revenue imaginable would sky rocket and he thought his real estate deals would be more lucrative than they were.  I completely get where you're coming form but there's an enormous risk here.  A ten year risk in an area that's not known for thriving attendance wise.  And with Loria being so notorious for keeping the books closed and this whole deal being under the SEC's microscope, I have a feeling in a few years when his books are forced open it won't be pretty.  I think going all in for such a long period of time baseball years wise might bite them.  And I hope I'm wrong because it's extremely good to see a "small" market team make power moves likethis.

nerd.gif

Remember Tom Hicks thought the same thing when they signed A-Rod.  He thought every revenue imaginable would sky rocket and he thought his real estate deals would be more lucrative than they were.  I completely get where you're coming form but there's an enormous risk here.  A ten year risk in an area that's not known for thriving attendance wise.  And with Loria being so notorious for keeping the books closed and this whole deal being under the SEC's microscope, I have a feeling in a few years when his books are forced open it won't be pretty.  I think going all in for such a long period of time baseball years wise might bite them.  And I hope I'm wrong because it's extremely good to see a "small" market team make power moves likethis.

10/250? DUECES!!!!!!!!!

allen craig wont be ready for the season, so that really sucks.

its like we are at alberts mercy until he signs somewhere .....WE HAVENT SIGNED ANYONE YET!!!!

just tell him to leave so we can get the TEAM together .

10/250? DUECES!!!!!!!!!

allen craig wont be ready for the season, so that really sucks.

its like we are at alberts mercy until he signs somewhere .....WE HAVENT SIGNED ANYONE YET!!!!

just tell him to leave so we can get the TEAM together .

Originally Posted by Proshares

nerd.gif

I agree. 10 years is asinine. But you're crazy if you think Pujols would be here for the duration.

If the project fails the riches will be harbored and the team will be rebuilt. If it's successful and some

titles are earned the riches will be harbored and the team will be rearranged once the Cache has been

established. "10 years" is just to get him here and get all the hispanic advertisers on board , it's a gold mine.

IF he signs here he will be batting DH for the yanks by 2016 with or without titles, why do you think they

are so hardnosed on the no "no-trade clause."

Originally Posted by Proshares

nerd.gif

I agree. 10 years is asinine. But you're crazy if you think Pujols would be here for the duration.

If the project fails the riches will be harbored and the team will be rebuilt. If it's successful and some

titles are earned the riches will be harbored and the team will be rearranged once the Cache has been

established. "10 years" is just to get him here and get all the hispanic advertisers on board , it's a gold mine.

IF he signs here he will be batting DH for the yanks by 2016 with or without titles, why do you think they

are so hardnosed on the no "no-trade clause."

laugh.gif
don't drag the Yankees into this.

Like I said, I get your position on it and I agree for the most part.

laugh.gif
don't drag the Yankees into this.

Like I said, I get your position on it and I agree for the most part.

Why are people comparing this to the A-Rod deal? Other than the amount of years on the contract.

A-Rod was a special talent JUST entering his prime at 25, while Pujols will be 32 by the time spring training starts.

Was it an absurd amount of money? Sure...BUT, talents like A-Rod don't hit the free agent market like that often.

Why are people comparing this to the A-Rod deal? Other than the amount of years on the contract.

A-Rod was a special talent JUST entering his prime at 25, while Pujols will be 32 by the time spring training starts.

Was it an absurd amount of money? Sure...BUT, talents like A-Rod don't hit the free agent market like that often.

the minor league squad from flushing made a deal!!??
eek.gif

does johan or wright leave next?

anythin on cespedes?

the minor league squad from flushing made a deal!!??
eek.gif

does johan or wright leave next?

anythin on cespedes?

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

Nothing to do with the players.  I bring it up because of the owner situations and what the ultimate fate was for Tom Hicks and how bad Loria has looked with his dealings and now with the stadium deal.

Angels looking at Pujols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom