2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go man.

Analyzing the Marlon Byrd trade.

In sending prospect Dilson Herrera and a player to be named later to the Mets for Marlon Byrd and John Buck, the Pirates made a truly all-in move, acquiring a rental player to fill their right-field hole while giving up a true prospect, for the first time in probably two decades. Meanwhile, the Mets shed some parts they didn't need for one prospect we know and another player who I'm told will be a decent prospect.

Byrd's 2013 season is well out of character for him -- I suppose, since he's a known PED user, I should insert some joke about him being back on the juice or something -- but posting your career-worst strikeout rate while also seeing your BABIP spike is some kind of coincidence. (Seeing your power numbers jump with your strikeout rate isn't surprising, however, as the two have always correlated very well. The harder you swing, the more you tend to miss.)

But the Pirates' right fielders have, collectively, been so awful this year, hitting .245/.307/.368 with poor defense, that Byrd represents a significant upgrade, probably half a win of value from here on out even if he doesn't keep up his pace from the season's first 20 weeks. He'll also help the team in the playoffs by removing one automatic out from the lineup, something that would seem more likely to cost you when facing the better-quality arms you see in October.

Buck helps Pittsburgh only in the sense that the Pirates had no real backup for days when Russell Martin doesn't play, because otherwise they would have an awful lot of passed balls.

For about five weeks of Byrd and Buck, the Mets get a very solid second-base prospect in Herrera. Playing full-time at age 19 in the low Class A Sally League, Herrera has shown somewhat surprising pop, with a .156 isolated power and 41 extra-base hits in 109 games. He's got a simple, quiet approach, just loading his hands a little higher than he should, with adequate hip rotation for 15-20 homer power at his peak.

He's an above-average runner whose speed hasn't translated into baserunning value, and is presently a fringy defender at second but should develop into an above-average glove given time and instruction. I'd call him a future everyday second baseman, a solid regular with a chance to be an above-average one.

I'm told by multiple sources that the Mets will receive another player to be named who is a "solid" piece, enough to make this deal even better for New York. Given how little sense there seemed to be in retaining Byrd at the July trade deadline, this is a very positive result for Mets fans after this week's other less fortunate news.

This will be sure to ruffle some feathers.

Early picks for major awards.

For the first time since I became a BBWAA member in 2008, I'm not voting on any postseason awards this year -- but not through any choice of my own. I was omitted from the list of eligible voters submitted by the Arizona chapter to the organization's secretary, and I didn't find out I wasn't eligible to vote until other writers started mentioning the ballots they'd received and I asked where mine was.

I'm obviously disappointed by this development and am a bit incredulous about how such an error could occur. On the plus side, this will allow me to comment on all six major player awards in advance of the announcement, something I don't do when I am voting on one of them.

Below is my breakdown of those six awards, with my explanation of whom I would vote for as well as my pick for the player I think will end up winning.

American League MVP

Trout

Let's not kid anyone -- Miguel Cabrera is going to win this again, in a walk, without being the most valuable player in the league. Mike Trout has been more valuable this year, as he was last year, although in 2013 the difference between his production and Cabrera's isn't as stark. Cabrera's bat is more valuable -- about 18 runs worth of production per Fangraphs, a number that factors in ballpark effects -- but Trout adds more than 18 runs of value over Miggy with his glove and baserunning, as Cabrera again rates among the league's worst defensive players at any position.

The gap could widen if Detroit chooses to rest Cabrera in September to try to get his legs back to 100 percent for the playoffs, which would be in their best interest as a team even if it might marginally hurt his MVP candidacy. Chris Davis and Evan Longoria are fighting for third place here, with Davis likely to do very well in the voting thanks to the big home run total.

My pick: Trout
Who I think will win: Cabrera

National League MVP

McCutchen

Clayton Kershaw is having a season for the ages, leading the NL in Baseball Reference's WAR (rWAR) so far, with an ERA (1.72) that would be the second-lowest for any ERA qualifier in a non-strike season since MLB lowered the mound in 1969, with only Dwight Gooden's 1.53 ERA in 1985 lower than Kershaw's.

His FanGraphs WAR (fWAR), derived from his FIP (fielding independent pitching) of 2.39, might do him a slight disservice, as Kershaw posted BABIPs below league average from 2009 through 2012 -- in the .262 to .275 range -- and that figure is down to .231 this year. If Kershaw is truly capable of keeping his batting average allowed on balls in play around .270 -- as opposed to the league average, which is closer to .300 -- then his FIP this year would be about 2.25, which would be the second-best mark in the NL.

The real debate this fall won't be over Kershaw's FIP or his rWAR, but between Kershaw and Andrew McCutchen, by far the best position player in the NL this year. He's third in the NL in OBP and 10th in slugging (with two of the top three playing in Colorado) while playing above-average defense in center. The Mets' David Wright might have had a chance to challenge McCutchen, but missing four or more weeks to a hamstring strain will create some separation between him and Cutch.

As for Paul Goldschmidt, the leader in the traditional/fantasy categories of AVG-HR-RBI, he's not close to McCutchen's overall value. The two are nearly tied in OBP; Goldschmidt has an extra 40 points of slugging, but plays in a better hitter's park. That small advantage is obliterated by McCutchen's value on the bases and in the field, playing a tougher position and playing it well. Goldschmidt is having a great year, but he's not even the most valuable first baseman -- that would be Joey Votto.

I'd vote McCutchen if the season ended today, but would probably go for Kershaw in the end if he can manage to maintain his current level of performance through the end of the season.

My pick: McCutchen
Who I think will win: McCutchen

AL Cy Young

Hernandez

Max Scherzer has the narrative, thanks to a won-lost record that's as much about the team behind him and the teams he faces than it is about how he has pitched. The AL Central includes three of the five worst run-scoring teams in the AL, and he has faced those clubs in eight of his 26 starts this year.

That's why I'd give the edge to this point to Felix Hernandez, who has been just as good as Scherzer before we consider caliber of competition, posting a lower ERA and FIP in roughly as many innings as Scherzer has thrown. Yu Darvish would be a distant third for me.

My pick: Hernandez
Who I think will win: Scherzer

NL Cy Young

Kershaw

Kershaw wins this in a rout -- he has been the most valuable by rWAR, near the top by fWAR, and didn't get to fatten up on bad NL East offenses all year. Adam Wainwright probably ends up taking second place over Matt Harvey (who is now out for the year), Jose Fernandez and the somewhat unheralded Mat Latos.

But really, if Kershaw finishes with a sub-2.00 ERA, I'll be shocked if he's anything short of unanimous.

My pick: Kershaw
Who I think will win: Kershaw

AL Rookie of the Year

Myers

Wil Myers and ... uh ... I mean, Jose Iglesias has been OK ... this is a little awkward ... can I list some NL candidates instead?

(Before anyone asks: Yan Gomes and Leonys Martin are not ROY-eligible this year.)

My pick: Myers
Who I think will win: Myers

NL Rookie of the Year

Fernandez

Puig has the narrative here -- not only has he played extremely well, but the Dodgers started winning right around the time of his arrival. (That their run of success also started when Hanley Ramirez and Zack Greinke came off the DL will be conveniently ignored as it doesn't support the desired story.)

But Fernandez leads Puig comfortably in both flavors of WAR, and while he hasn't been seen as much by a national audience, he has been just as exciting, turning into a bona fide ace as a 20-year-old while playing for a team in his adopted home state. That this wonderful thing is happening to a team owned by Jeffrey Loria is a fact I will conveniently ignore.

Beyond those two, I'd probably follow up my ballot with Shelby Miller and Julio Teheran, giving them the edge over the much older Hyun-Jin Ryu.

My pick: Fernandez
Who I think will win: Puig

The only thing I disagree with is Trout as MVP, it's one thing to miss the playoffs, the Angels aren't even close to a .500 ball club.

Well, Hernandez better quit dickin' around if he wants to win it again.

I see no problems with Cabrera as the MVP and I would love for Fernandez to somehow win NLROY, but it's doubtful.

I have no problem with it either 651. Plus, more people are starting to admit just how amazing Trout is as a player. I think they're starting to realize that this is a one of a kind player being drowned by an organization making AWFUL moves.

The only thing I disagree with is Trout as MVP, it's one thing to miss the playoffs, the Angels aren't even close to a .500 ball club.

Tired of people saying that Trout should have been MVP. Of course i'm biased, but my guy Miggy won the first triple crown since 1967
(and is very close to doing it back to back). I mean, dude isn't even 100% right now, and he's putting up these numbers. cmon man :lol:

Last edited:
Shouldn't the fact that Miggy is going to put up nearly identical numbers and NOT win the triple crown teach them how random the actual crown is?

This year is a bad example due to the Angels having a horrid record, but last year their record was better than Detroit's. And Trout missed the first month of the season. :lol:

I love Perez's post game interviews. 
laugh.gif

So glad Duffy got another chance. I was getting so tired of Davis.

600 home runs pretty much ensures a ticket for Thome into the HoF. .956 career OPS and 77 career WAR is nothing to sniff at either.

Safe bet for first ballot too imo

Last edited:
Pirates with the win, Cards with the loss, back to a half game

Reds may have scored all their runs for the next 4 games :lol:. Seems like they do that sometimes

Just kidding DC

Cleveland Indian legend.

Wainwright got rocked.

Nolasco has been lights out for LA.

Worst game ever.........Looked like he was either tipping pitches to the Reds the last game and they figured it out, or the Red were just UBER aggressive on the first 2 pitches and got taters right down the middle.

HONESTLY...........I think he got rocked like this because Rob Johnson was the catcher instead of Yadi or Cuz. Johnson doesnt call very good games AT ALL and waino is used to trusting his catchers to call the pitches instead of shaking them off.

Oh well, He`ll be pitching against them next week, so i hope Yadi is healthy enough for the next 6 games against division rivals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom