2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for more emotion but Puig is over the top and obnoxious...

Harper was tabbed as this head case idiot but none of that has come through at this level. He's emotional, but not a ******.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I'll tell you what....I hope the Dodgers win the WS and Puig keeps pissing off people along the way. He's GREAT for baseball. **** the haters, the Cards, Carlos Beltran, etc.

I hope the Dodgers win too, :D, but that **** was way over the top. Literally :smh: when I saw it.

It's good for baseball because people are going to pay to see him play. He's arguably the most exciting guy in the game...how is it not good for baseball? That's a better question.

The act is going to get old, real fast. He is a very raw talent.

Most exciting guy in the game, holy ******g hyperbole.

The one thing that worries me is that he doesn't know how to adversity well. He sucked in September, and up until that triple he was 0-11 with 7k's. Pressure busts pipes.

Beltran is a idiot. I'm so tired of dudes getting butthurt over stuff like puig did. Maybe beltran should pay attention more to trying to catch the ball.

Let puig god cook

It wasn't his ball to catch, and I appreciate the way Jon Jay is playing right now, :smokin. There's celebrating, then there's showboating. Tossing your bat the way Puig did. C'mon, it wasn't a tiny bat flip, dude threw the bat in the air.

Dude get over it. Its 2013, he's adding flair to the game! Imo, he thought he hit a homer hence the celebration. Even still the guy easily hit a triple.

All jokes aside, hes great for baseball. I swear people hate on him because of his rise to stardom

I'm glad he's on the team, but he gets way more credit than what he deserves.

Who gives a **** about class when talking about a bat flip? Dude plays with emotion. You'd want him on your team.

I'd rather have Trout or Manny Machado, that's just me though. Hit up the Orioles brass, we need a third baseman.

Sorry DoubleJs, I dont agree with you at all.  People want to come see people like Puig and Harper play because they are tremendous young talents....not because of their over the top antics.  Its funny, Bryce looks tame now compared to Puig.

And for the record, your comment about Bonds is totally off base.  For all the mammoth or historical homeruns that Barry hit in his career, he "spun after homeruns" all of ONE TIME.  If you would like to show me more than one occasion where he spun after his homerun, please educate me.  Until then, I am going to take that comment with a grain of salt, as it is a total exaggeration. 

I have zero problem with bat flips.  If you hit a 430 foot bomb, you have every right to flip the bat.  If an opposing team doesnt like it, tough....shouldn't have given up a bomb.

What I absolutely DO have a problem with is when a guy is 0-11 in his past 3 games, with 7 strikeouts, and looking foolish in pretty much every single at bat....hits a 320 foot ball off of the fence and flips his bat and stares at it.  I also have a problem with him acting as if he drove in the winning run of the World Series when he got to third.

There is a huge difference between showing emotion and doing what Puig did last night.  I wholeheartedly believe he is going to wear a pitch off the back at some point.  Probably not this series, but come Spring Training or next season, the Cards will plunk him.

Had no problem w/ Puig... because he ended up at 3rd.

Personally, yes, I prefer guys who act like they've done it before and expect to do it again (Grant Hill, Jason Kidd, Barry Sanders, etc). Sure, a little emotion here and there, but for the most part, pretty subdued out there. I've hit some really big shots, and that's exactly what I do; just a little fist pump or something, and walk off.

But for those who are on the more emotional side, I don't really care so long as it's not vulgar, and so long as it doesn't disrupt the game.

What Puig did obviously wasn't disrespectful, and he legged it out to 3rd.

Props to him.

Move on.

Last edited:
Nowitness41Dirk and ooIRON MANoo......repped.  Completely agree with your opinions.  There is emotion, and there is over the top showboating.  How some fail to see the difference is beyond me.

Celebrating a HR is fine but a Bat Flip over a ball that didn't leave the ballpark is a little too much for me.
It probably doesn't help that he plays for your teams much hated rival. Calling Beltran or any other player a name because they disagree with Puig's actions is childish though. You have to understand that your opinion of how it should be in baseball (players showing flair; emotion ) will always be looked at from a different perspective. As a Dodgers fan; I'm all for players showing some emotion, but Puig does take it too far.

Had no problem w/ Puig... because he ended up at 3rd.

Personally, yes, I prefer guys who act like they've done it before and expect to do it again (Grant Hill, Jason Kidd, Barry Sanders, etc). Sure, a little emotion here and there, but for the most part, pretty subdued out there. I've hit some really big shots, and that's exactly what I do; just a little fist pump or something, and walk off.

But for those who are on the more emotional side, I don't really care so long as it's not vulgar, and so long as it doesn't disrupt the game.

What Puig did obviously wasn't disrespectful, and he legged it out to 3rd.

Props to him.

Move on.

Said it better than I could have put it...

Also, IronMan...where did I say he was the most exciting player in the game? I said he was arguably...meaning, it's up for debate, but he's in the conversation.

*edit* my apologies DL...Bonds never hot-dogged it. The spin was a one-time thing.

Last edited:
Him being a Dodger has nothing to do with my distaste for his antics. Showboating like that has no place in the game! If he hits it out I have no problem with him but I've seen him bat flip on singles and doubles. Makes him look obnoxious and arrogant!

Now we are arguing two different things.  Hot dogging it and pimping a homerun arent the same things.

Now we are arguing two different things.  Hot dogging it and pimping a homerun arent the same things.
I guess not if one guy who does it is a dodger and the other is a giant.
Its really easy to take this way out of the discussion if you dont have anything else to say.  I have always prided myself on not being a homer when it comes to sports. 

If you dont think there is a huge difference in what Puig is doing as a rookie, and specifically what he did in the situation he was in last night, and what Bonds did, then there is no point in continuing this discussion. 

puig got you all feeling some type of way
laugh.gif

**** baseball's unwritten rules and "right way to play"
Considering there have been Dodger fans in here that agree that Puig has been out of line, should say all that needs to be said about the topic.

Its really easy to take this way out of the discussion if you dont have anything else to say.  I have always prided myself on not being a homer when it comes to sports. 

If you dont think there is a huge difference in what Puig is doing as a rookie, and specifically what he did in the situation he was in last night, and what Bonds did, then there is no point in continuing this discussion. 

:lol: @ you taking that as me having nothing else to say. Since we're making assumptions, I'll say that you made a real homer"esque" comment.

Hot-dogging, is hot-dogging, dude. Bat flips, spins, etc. There's a reason why guys draw the ire of other players and benches clear, beans happen, and so on.

I just so happen to like Puig for this reason. Same reason why I like guys like Rickey Henderson, Bonds, etc.

Baseball guys are OVERLY sensitive. It's the nature of the game. I'm glad when dudes like Puig come around and stay true to themselves. Jimmies rustled, be damned.

Also, IronMan...where did I say he was the most exciting player in the game? I said he was arguably...meaning, it's up for debate, but he's in the conversation.

You're right, still "one of the most exciting" would of been more appropriate, but that's just nitpicking on my part.

I just didn't like anything about it, slugged it, pimped it, threw his arms up like Manny when he hit that walk-off against the Angels in the ALDS. Slowly trotted to first with his arm up, realized it wasn't going over and hustled to third. Slid into third and exuberantly celebrated his arrival.

I just didn't like anything about it, can't use the "he's just naive" angle and give this guy a pass all the time.

If we start seeing this across baseball at what point will it get annoying to the "let them celebrate" crowd?

puig got you all feeling some type of way :lol:

Considering there have been Dodger fans in here that agree that Puig has been out of line, should say all that needs to be said about the topic.

what does it say? that we as fans have different opinions on how the game should be played? what if i found some cards fans that liked what he did?

just because there are some fans who root for the dodgers and disagree with the way he plays, does not make it some trump card for your argument :lol:

11 times out of 10 id rather see puig pimp the hell out of a triple than mcann *****ing about a homerun from a team who wasn't even in playoff contention.

Last edited:

puig got you all feeling some type of way
laugh.gif

what does it say? that we as fans have different opinions on how the game should be played? what if i found some cards fans that liked what he did?

just because there are some fans who root for the dodgers and disagree with the way he plays, does not make it some trump card for your argument
laugh.gif
What I am saying is, doesn't the fact that his own fans not agreeing with his antics show you that there just might be a problem with how he is acting?  And I would find it very hard to believe that there are Cardinal fans who liked what he did. 
laugh.gif

what puig did was comical more than anything. he deserved to get thrown out but guess what, he didn't. so move on. he made a mistake and you couldn't make him pay for it, don't be mad at him. just come off like sore losers.

Talbert

Hot-dogging, is hot-dogging, dude. Bat flips, spins, etc. There's a reason why guys draw the ire of other players and benches clear, beans happen, and so on.
Again, I totally disagree.  You can say all hot-dogging is created equal, but I don't see how you can say that is true.  So Bonds staring at his 65th homerun of the season is the same thing as a rookie, who was 0-11 with 7 strikeouts and 11 foolish at bats, acting like he hit the ball 600 feet (when it didnt even leave the field of play) and celebrating like he won the lottery? 

On a completely non-Giant/Dodger related example (since you have a hard time understanding that this isnt a Giants vs. Dodger thing for me), is Manny Ramirez throwing his hands up in the air after hitting a walk off jack the same thing as a player who had that reaction if it was the fifth inning of a regular season game that they were down big?

And before you say "well thats a little extreme of an example," remember, it was YOU that said hot dogging is hot dogging.

i get what you're saying, but so what? there are obviously others who don't mind what he did. all it means is that there is a difference in opinion on how the game should be played. there is no right or wrong.

like i don't even see what the problem is (aside from baseball's unwritten rules and being adamant about being emotionless and boring). dude was at his home stadium, hit a go ahead triple with the crowd behind him. what do you want him to do? throw the bat aside and run to third emotionless? **** that.

i can see how people can ***** about him missing the cutoff man and him trying to gun opponents out with his arm. but pimping some at bats? so what.

Last edited:
i get what you're saying, but so what? there are obviously others who don't mind what he did. all it means is that there is a difference in opinion on how the game should be played. there is no right or wrong.

like i don't even see what the problem is (aside from baseball's unwritten rules and being adamant about being emotionless and boring). dude was at his home stadium, hit a go ahead triple with the crowd behind him. what do you want him to do? throw the bat aside and run to third emotionless? **** that.
Again, people are having a hard time differentiating showing emotion and showing up the other team or being disrespctful.  Showing emotion is fine.  I enjoy seeing players play with emotion.  What Puig did was over the line. 

And for the record, the Dodgers were already winning when Puig tripled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom