2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Facing a 3-2 count against Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Alex Cobb, St. Louis Cardinals batter Jon Jay took what was clearly a fourth ball on the next pitch. Problem was, neither Jay, nor the umpire, nor the broadcasters seemed to think the pitch counted for anything as Jay didn't take his base. Instead, everyone just kept playing as if the pitch hadn't happened. Jay fouled off the subsequent pitch, before striking out one pitch later." - yahoo sports

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo...heir-2014-football-media-guide-041956080.html

and shown here below @ 1:10

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's hard to even objectively compare the two at all.

Bonds was great. No arguments from me, but how do I compare stats when 36-42 year old Bonds increased his career batting average by 36 points compared to 21-35. Homeruns, walks, OBP, SLG all massively skyrocketed to obscene levels. OBP was helped by millions of intentional walks, but it wasn't necessary to do so if he wasn't hitting the ball out of the ordinary because talent + well you know the other ingridient.

I think most people think Bonds started juicing after 99 so I usually just count his stats until 99. Griffey started his decline in 99

Pretty much shows Bonds had a much better eye and walked significantly more which brings the disparity in OBP, and a better baserunner.

Bonds 86 -99
.288 / .409 / .559 / .968 1455 R, 2010 H, 423 2B, 65 3B, 445 HR, 1299 RBI, 1430 BB, 460 SB, 1112 Ks, 8534 PA in 2000 games

to get close to 2000 games for Griffey 89-04 gives you 1997 games
.292 / .377 / .560 / .937 1320 R , 2156 H , 400 2B, 36 3B , 501 HR, 1444 RBI, 984 BB, 178 SB, 1323 Ks, 8517 PA

Last edited:
I think Bonds was the first great baseball player that we ever saw juice. The problem wasnt only that he juiced but that it was so damn obvious.

It seemed like most juicers we noticed were good or average players.

If the O's can end this WC road trip with either a 5-5 or 6-4 record, I'm gonna officially label them as contenders. Had a chance to win the series vs. the A's...won the series vs. the Halos (which isn't an easy task), and I'm HOPING for 3/4 vs. the M's.

This trip was going to be the true measuring stick for this squad. So far, so good. KEEP IT UP!

*edit*

AL East is 26-9 since the all-star break :wow:

Last edited:
Rays are flourishing since the ASB. Joe Maddon is my favorite manager in baseball, due to his unconventional wisdom. Dilemma for Friedman whether Price stays or goes. I've backed Tampa or Boston the win the division over Baltimore or the Yanks.

Ortiz tweaked his back on a check swing last night late (left the game mid at bat). wondering if he'll get in there against Price tonight :lol:

They could still trade him in August. I think both him and Lee are August candidates. But with this run, I think they'll hold him and deal him in the winter.

**** both those loser as teams though :smile:

They could still trade him in August. I think both him and Lee are August candidates. But with this run, I think they'll hold him and deal him in the winter.

**** both those loser as teams though :smile:
I want to see Friedman deal Price and Zobrist at the right time, price. This Tampa roster isn't built for a deep playoff run. Clearly not the Upton, Longo, Crawford squad that went deep against Philly(?)

I think they're just a normal Longoria season away from being at least division contenders. The entire division sucks though, so that's not saying much. It's Oakland/LAA and then a big gap to Detroit/Balt/Yanks/TB.

But you're right about not being built for a run. St. Louis and Tampa just scream like a match for a Price/Taveras swap. He doesn't seem like a STL kinda player.

I think they're just a normal Longoria season away from being at least division contenders. The entire division sucks though, so that's not saying much. It's Oakland/LAA and then a big gap to Detroit/Balt/Yanks/TB.

But you're right about not being built for a run. St. Louis and Tampa just scream like a match for a Price/Taveras swap. He doesn't seem like a STL kinda player.
I hear you on that. You've been pegging Price for Tavares for a while. Can the Cards manage to wrangle Zobrist in a package as well remains the question we've long discussed. St. Louis needs offense and Yadi out hurts for that purpose as well as behind the plate defensively and with leadership.

I hear you on that. You've been pegging Price for Tavares for a while. Can the Cards manage to wrangle Zobrist in a package as well remains the question we've long discussed. St. Louis needs offense and Yadi out hurts for that purpose as well as behind the plate defensively and with leadership.

Yea man, I just think that's a perfect fit for both teams. They need Zobrist? I thought Wong has been hitting pretty well since he came back.

I think the Nats need Zobrist the most. Don't know how long Zimmerman is gonna be out with that hamstring issue, and we can't have the black hole that is Danny Espinosa in the lineup everyday.

I think the Nats need Zobrist the most. Don't know how long Zimmerman is gonna be out with that hamstring issue, and we can't have the black hole that is Danny Espinosa in the lineup everyday.
At what price, Kobernus? Certainly not Taylor or Goodwin.

At what price, Kobernus? Certainly not Taylor or Goodwin.
Kobernus has been out all year hurt. Definitely not Taylor or Goodwin. I'm not sure. Rizzo would probably part with Taylor Jordan/Blake Treinen to get it done and possibly Steven Souza or Zach Walters.Tyler Moore is another option too, he's never gonna get regular playing time in DC and has shown he can hit with regular ABs in the bigs before.

Last edited:
You're not getting a year and a half of Zobrist for Kobernus. Gotta remember you're getting Zobrist at a big bargain next season as well.

Souza/Walters seems like a good level.

I'll personally drive down to DC to find Rizzo if Friedman fleeces him outta Cole or Giolito :lol:

I disagree that the Nationals need Zobrist more than any other team. The Giants and the A's both have way bigger holes at 2B than the Nationals have without Zimmerman. Not even close really.

You're not getting a year and a half of Zobrist for Kobernus. Gotta remember you're getting Zobrist at a big bargain next season as well.

Souza/Walters seems like a good level.

I'll personally drive down to DC to find Rizzo if Friedman fleeces him outta Cole or Giolito :lol:
Souza/Walters and Treinen might get it done. And I'd be right next to you if he gives up either of those guys for Zobrist. I know he wouldn't give up Giolito, but Rizzo has given up Alex Meyer for Denard Span...

I disagree that the Nationals need Zobrist more than any other team. The Giants and the A's both have way bigger holes at 2B than the Nationals have without Zimmerman. Not even close really.
True. What happened to Scutaro? And Punto pretty much = Espinosa - the occasional pop, IMO.

I think Bonds was the first great baseball player that we ever saw juice. The problem wasnt only that he juiced but that it was so damn obvious.

Huh? He started after the McGwire/Sosa home run chase, over a decade after the McGwire/Canseco Bash Brothers era, among many others.

Huh? He started after the McGwire/Sosa home run chase, over a decade after the McGwire/Canseco Bash Brothers era, among many others.

+ he was more than just a "good or average" player before the juice

A local sports talk host explained the reason Bonds was targeted and is still hated on, in a very simple way (and it makes perfect sense):

Most players were Yugos, took PEDs, and became Ferraris.  Barry Bonds was already a Ferrari before he even considered taking PEDs.

Yep. Pitchers were using PEDs back then too. Almost everybody was using some type of PED in that era!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom