2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

#AstrosBaseball

:rofl:

Ackley is trash. I still have hope for Zunino though. With Zunino it's really just the K's. If he can tune that eye and layoff the garbage he swings at, he could be a league average catcher or better. Has great power. Just doesn't lay good wood nearly enough.

Ackley and Zunino were both overhyped prospects from big schools.

High level college players who hit their peaks very early.

to be fair everyone in the stadium thought that would be caught :lol:

edit: watched it a couple times, did Rizzo let it drop on purpose? genius if he did

Last edited:
He def let it fall on purpose. I wouldn't say it's a genius play, but it's a smart and somewhat risky play :lol:

i haven't came across it yet in my young sabermetrics infatuation. really love this stuff though since it shows the complete story. fielder independent numbers combined with era really tells you how trustworthy a pitcher's performance is.

If Singleton can become a competent hitter...correa coming up in a week... Astros World Series coming soon.

i haven't came across it yet in my young sabermetrics infatuation. really love this stuff though since it shows the complete story. fielder independent numbers combined with era really tells you how trustworthy a pitcher's performance is.
Can you post the top 5 or 10 or so? I'm curious what the top guys are compared to what we see on the surface.
If Singleton can become a competent hitter...correa coming up in a week... Astros World Series coming soon.
Singleton fits right in with this free swinging Astros bunch. Outside of Altuve, everyone just hacks away with little discipline. They need a veteran in there who knows how to work counts and make contact.

Salazar, Pineda, Kershaw, Carrasco and Kluber have the top-5 best xFIP

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=20,a

Pineda, Scherz, Arrieta, Odorizzi and Lance Lynn have the top-5 best FIP

Pineda, Scherz, Arrieta, Odorizzi and Gray have the best FIP- (100 is league average, lower the better)

Salazar, Pineda Kersh, King Felix and Kluber have the best SIERA

I like using this stuff in conjunction with ERA, LOB%, BABIP, K% and BB% to see whether performance is sustainable or an aberration.

Interesting. 

So, this start for Arrieta isn't fluke-ish. Scherzer has just had bad luck, but with things he can't control (run support). Glad Pineda is healthy and pitching to his ability.

yep, main reason i thought Dan Haren would see some trouble since his FIP and xFIP were almost double his ERA and his fly ball percentage was up. benefiting from an above average to good Marlins defense with speedy outfielders.

interestingly, Bartolo Colon's numbers are in line with his ERA.

i've grown to really like sabermetrics, just fun seeing beneath the surface.

yeah FIP- factors that in. when i checked before the dodgers outing his was a 123, 23 points higher than league average (want that stat under 100).

been spending a lot of time reading stuff on FanGraphs. Really get a kick out of this data :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom