2023 Official MLB Season Thread

i
51. Bryse Wilson, RHP, Atlanta Braves
Bats: R | Throws: R
6-foot-1 | 225 pounds
Top level: MLB | 2018 rank: 68

Wilson was Atlanta's fourth-round pick in its huge 2016 draft, which also netted Ian Anderson, Joey Wentz and Kyle Muller, and Wilson raced past all of them to make his major league debut in 2018. Wilson has the best overall fastball in Atlanta's system, with the pitch sitting at 95 to 96 mph and playing up with spin and life, and he has enough of a changeup to keep hitters honest, although he could use more repetitions with it to sell the pitch better. His slider is the weak spot; if that pitch were better, he would be a top-20 prospect, but right now it's a fringy pitch and he needs to throw it more, in the minors, before he's ready to step into a major league rotation.

He's still young, having just turned 21 in December, and already has come a long way since he was an athletic kid with a bad delivery and some arm strength just three springs ago. His aptitude for making adjustments and competitive nature bode well for him getting the secondary stuff to the point where he's at least a No. 3 starter.

i
52. Spencer Howard, RHP, Philadelphia Phillies
6-foot-3 | 205 pounds
Top level: A-ball | 2018 rank: Unranked

Howard was the Phillies' second-round pick in 2017, the 45th overall selection, but he has blown past almost everyone in their system to become their No. 2 prospect, even passing their 2017 first-rounder, Adam Haseley. Howard started the year with an average to above-average fastball but by midyear was sitting at 95 to 96 mph and topped out at over 98 mph at the end of the year. And his fastball really plays, because hitters don't see it well. He has a full arsenal with a plus slider that he calls a cutter as well as a solid-average changeup that he sells well out of his hand.

Just Missed | Top 100:100-51 | 50-1 | Impact 20 (Fri. Feb. 1)

Team rankings: Top farm systems (Mon. Feb. 4) | Division-by-division (Tues. Feb 5-Sun. Feb. 10)

He was effective all year but improved as the season went on, with a 35 percent strikeout rate across his last 11 starts, roughly half his season. Howard spent all of last year in Low-A, which is a peculiar decision given how advanced he looked, how well he pitched and his experience as a college pitcher. So, the Phillies might consider bumping him to Double-A quickly, since he's already 22 and it's not as if we're waiting on him to throw harder. I hear a lot of No. 2 starter upside on him, with a high floor, and if he's throwing that hard that often, he should be able to get to the high minors soon.

i
53. Daniel Lynch, LHP, Kansas City Royals
Bats: L | Throws: L
6-foot-6 | 190 pounds
Top level: A-ball | 2018 rank: Ineligible

Lynch came into last spring at the University of Virginia as a potential third- to fifth-round pick, a lefty with some feel to pitch but mostly average stuff and a question or two about his durability due to an old back injury. He finished the spring bumping 97 mph among a major-league-ready four-pitch mix, ending up at No. 26 on my draft board and going at pick No. 34 overall to the Royals, who have to be beyond thrilled with the results so far. Lynch pitched a full summer after signing, very unusual in this era of extreme caution around pitcher workloads, but he kept throwing better as the season progressed, dominating the full-season Sally League in nine starts -- 40 innings, 47 Ks, six walks and a 1.58 ERA.

Lynch really took off in pro ball once he was able to call his own game more, with his fastball sitting at 94 to 95 mph in many starts to go with an above-average slider and changeup and good deception from his delivery. He's still a little projectable, although his 6-foot-5 frame is wiry and he probably is not going to end up with a 240-pound workhorse body. But even if he's just a 180-inning guy, he has the command and stuff to be in a big league rotation very soon. Pro scouts who saw him in the Appy or Sally leagues all had the same question: How did this guy not go higher in the draft than the supplemental round? I think the whole industry will be asking that by the end of 2019.

i
54. Luis Robert, CF, Chicago White Sox
6-foot-3 | 185 pounds
Top level: High-A | 2018 rank: 46

Robert signed one of the last unfettered deals before the latest CBA put restrictions on international free agents under the age of 25, netting $26 million from the White Sox in May 2017 and making his stateside debut this past season. His campaign didn't go as planned, however, as Robert suffered a thumb injury in spring training that kept coming back, limiting him to just 50 games during the regular season and knocking him out for another week in the Arizona Fall League.

He is an impressive athlete with several plus tools, including 70-grade speed and plus raw power, and he reminded me physically of a young Jermaine Dye when I saw him take BP. (It has been a running joke with my Twitter followers that I haven't seen Robert play a game; I've gone somewhere to see his team four times, only to have him get hurt every time and miss the entire length of my trip.)

He is still raw at the plate and likes to expand the zone, with some mechanical issues in his swing that look like they'll contribute to more swings-and-misses than you'd like. He has star-level tools if he gets to them, which will require staying healthy and getting a full year of at-bats, but the potential for plus defense in center and even just mistake power should give him a high probability to be a solid everyday player.

i
55. Khalil Lee, CF, Kansas City Royals
5-foot-10 | 170 pounds
Top level: Double-A | 2018 rank: Unranked

Lee was the Royals' third-round pick in 2016 out of a prep school in northern Virginia. He had a strange full-season debut in 2017; he punched out 171 times (the ninth-highest total in the minors that year) but drew 65 walks and showed some power and above-average defense in center, with speed he didn't know how to utilize (20 steals in 38 attempts). In 2018, however, he showed tremendous growth on all sides of the ball, including a better two-strike approach that saw him cut his strikeout rate from nearly a third to just under a quarter of his plate appearances, although the change cost him some of his game power.

Lee has strong hands for hard contact, but his swing can still get big, and he rolls his front leg sometimes through contact, resulting in too many rollovers to the second baseman. He improved on the bases last year, especially in center field, where he always had a plus arm and enough speed to stay there but showed better reads and routes in 2018. There's some fourth-outfielder potential here, depending on how his body develops and whether his game power returns, but he also could be an above-average regular or more who goes 15/15 in steals and homers, with an OBP in the high .300s and value on defense in center.

i
56. Luis Urias, 2B/SS, San Diego Padres
5-foot-9 | 185 pounds
Top level: MLB | 2018 rank: 38

Urias is listed at 5-foot-9 -- I'd take the under on that height -- but he has an impressive track record of hitting for average and high contact rates at every level of the minors. Urias' swing is compact, of course, but not so short that he can't drive the ball to the gaps. And his strike zone awareness has always been exceptional; he had more walks than strikeouts as a pro before he reached Triple-A in 2018. Urias reached the majors in September for a cup of coffee that ended early when he pulled a hamstring, an injury that has lingered into the offseason and prevented him from playing winter ball.

The brief sample did expose some weaknesses in his approach, as right-handed pitchers had success by attacking him with fastballs up and breaking stuff down and/or away, getting him to expand the zone more than he did in the minors. Urias has played plenty of shortstop in pro ball, but he's not a good enough defender there to play it every day. If his bat plays as expected, with high averages and OBPs, he'll be a regular at second base with above-average or even plus defense. There's a high utility infielder floor here too, given his positional versatility and ability to make contact; but the Padres are certainly hoping for more, given Urias' history of performance throughout the minors.

i
57. Mike Soroka, RHP, Atlanta Braves
6-foot-5 | 225 pounds
Top level: MLB | 2018 rank: 60

Soroka's major league debut was tantalizing, as his stuff, already good, was moving like crazy with a little help from the goofy major league ball, but five starts into his rookie season, his shoulder barked and he was shut down until instructional league. He is supposed to be 100 percent now and ready for spring training, which would be very good news for the Braves as they try to repeat as division champions. Soroka was throwing up to 95 mph with huge life on his two-seamer, also showing a plus changeup and sweepy slider that played up against right-handers because of his low arm slot.

He has filled out very well since Atlanta drafted him as a physically immature 17-year-old in 2015, and he hadn't had any arm issues until last year, even though he has that low slot and an arm swing that puts some stress on the shoulder. If he's healthy, he has mid-rotation potential, held back a little by the lack of a better breaking ball for right-handers but boosted by the potential to get a lot of ground balls with that crazy two-seam life.

i
58. Justin Dunn, RHP, Seattle Mariners
6-foot-2 | 185 pounds

The "other" prospect who went to the Mariners in the Robinson Cano/Edwin Diaz deal is a solid player in his own right, a former first-rounder who got too caught up in spin rate in 2017 but bounced back with a huge 2018. Dunn was a reliever at Boston College until early in his junior year, when his velocity spiked and the Eagles' staff put him in the rotation. He is extremely athletic, but he was still somewhat raw for a college pitcher when the Mets drafted him; it took until 2018 to get him to a delivery he could repeat well, one that also gave him more extension out toward the plate to improve the carry on his mid-90s fastball and the finish on his slider.

The fastball alone plays right now, and both his slider and curveball can show plus, with the changeup the one pitch that's behind, in large part because he seldom had to use it as an amateur. I know of one opposing Double-A manager who said Dunn was the best pitcher his team had faced in all of 2018. He has more volatility in his projections, because he hasn't pitched a ton and still has work to do with his repertoire and command; but he has at least No. 2 starter upside, and you could squint hard and see even more if you truly believe in his athleticism and aptitude.

i
59. Vidal Brujan, 2B, Tampa Bay Rays
Bats: S | Throws: R
5-foot-9 | 155 pounds
Top level: High-A | 2018 rank: Unranked

Brujan has received relatively little hype to date, in part because he's in the Rays' system, and in part because he wasn't a high draft pick or big bonus guy on the international front. But he has hit at every level, with a career line of .300/.387/.426 through age 20, including a stint in High-A, and more walks in his career than strikeouts. It's not just performance, either, as Brujan is a plus runner with average power and a solid defender at second who could end up an asset there or maybe even be a plus defender in center.

He has a compact swing that so far has put the ball on the ground too often, just over 52 percent last year; although he seems like a good candidate for the kind of swing optimization that has acquired a cultlike following around the game, given his hand and upper body strength and feel for the zone.

i
60. Mark Vientos, 3B, New York Mets
6-foot-4 | 185 pounds
Top level: Rookie | 2018 rank: Unranked

Vientos has been a bit of a forgotten man in the Mets' system, with more highly touted prospects around him, some playing at higher levels, as well as undue attention given to a publicity stunt in their Double-A outfield last year. But trades and Vientos' own progress have him as the system's best prospect now, and he is set to spend all of 2019 in full-season ball at age 19 after a very strong summer with short-season Kingsport as a true 18-year-old. Vientos finished tied for fourth in the Appalachian League in homers, fifth in walks and tied for 11th in doubles, with a swing optimized for launch angle but that also gets the barrel into the zone for enough time to maximize his hard contact.

A poor defensive shortstop in high school, Vientos has become an adequate defender at third, still improving but also still growing into his 6-foot-4 frame, so there's some chance he has to move off the position just due to sheer size. His OBP/contact/power profile should play anywhere, with his best chance to be a star coming at third but a high probability that he will be a regular even in right field or at first base.

i
61. Deivi Garcia, RHP, New York Yankees
5-foot-10 | 163 pounds

Marcus Stroman-sized and a bit slighter of build, so he has been dogged by questions about his durability, even as he dominated both levels of A-ball. Garcia has an easy low-90s fastball that sits 92 to 94 mph and sneaks up on hitters, while his bread and butter is his hammer curveball that's at least a 60-grade pitch now and could be more.

Scouts love his competitiveness, and even though he is small, he is aggressive and attacks hitters in the zone. When the Yankees promoted him to High-A in August, he no-hit Clearwater over seven innings in his first outing, striking out six of the first seven batters he faced. His changeup is his third pitch but should be at least average.

Garcia's delivery is simple, a little heavy on the arm with a moderately short stride, but he repeats it and has no problem throwing all his pitches for strikes. No one wants to assume a 5-foot-9 right-hander is a starter, but Garcia at least looks like he is built from the same mold as guys such as Stroman and Roy Oswalt; and through age 20, Garcia has had no trouble getting batters out.

i
62. Leody Taveras, CF, Texas Rangers
6-foot-1 | 190 pounds
Top level: High-A | 2018 rank: 45

Taveras has been a slow developer as compared to the other kids from his July 2 class, two of whom now sit atop these rankings. But that's not a fair comparison, and Taveras has progressed very quickly for a teenager who has been promoted aggressively to High-A. He always has had a good approach for a teenager, with strong bat-to-ball skills. His strikeout rate was well above (better than) league average, even though he was the second-youngest regular in the Carolina League. His swing doesn't have much loft to it, and he's going to be a fringy power guy unless he alters his swing path at some point.

Taveras is a 70-grade defender in center with plus speed and an above-average arm, with his defense playing up thanks to strong instincts. Of course, at some point Taveras has to put together the season everyone has been anticipating, converting the approach and tools into more production, although I'm optimistic that 2019 will be a breakout year for him. The defense and contact rate would make him a regular for many clubs; if and when he converts his eye and feel for the barrel into .350+ OBPs, he'll be an above-average everyday player or more.

i
63. DL Hall, LHP, Baltimore Orioles
6-foot-2 | 195 pounds

Hall was Baltimore's first-round pick in 2017, a potential top-10 talent who slipped a bit due to the bias against high school pitchers, his remote hometown and some makeup concerns. But his first full season in pro ball seems to have put most of those to the side, with scouts universally praising what they saw from him just a year out of Georgia high school ball. Hall would regularly pitch at 91 to 93 mph, touching 96, eventually running it up as high as 98 by the end of the summer, along with an above-average changeup and a curveball with big angle to it that varied from fringe-average to plus depending on when you saw him.

He is a good athlete who should develop more consistency to his delivery with repetition, while he already has the arm strength and feel both to spin the curveball and turn over the changeup that is all very hard to teach. There's some relief risk here just due to his inexperience and the need for him to develop a starter's command and pitching plan, but he has good mid-rotation upside and real value as a left-hander in an industry that still covets them.

i
64. Eli Montero, 3B, St. Louis Cardinals
6-foot-3 | 195 pounds

Montero came a bit out of nowhere to win the Midwest League MVP at age 19 last year, thanks to a .321/.381/.529 line that earned him a late-season promotion to High-A. He is a big, very strong kid who makes a lot of hard contact, with some pull power but also a lot of doubles the other way, strong enough to take pitches on the outer third and pull some of them into the seats. He has a solid idea of the zone and feel to hit, although he has just average bat speed and succeeds more on pure strength, even when he overswings, often wrapping his bat and getting very long to try to launch something. He plays third base now, but the consensus from scouts is that he'll end up at first.

There's a good starter kit here for a No. 4 or 5 hitter, a 25- to 30-homer guy with a solid OBP but maybe not as much average as you would want from a No. 2 or 3 hitter, enough for a regular or more even at first.

i
65. Matt Manning, RHP, Detroit Tigers
6-foot-6 | 190 pounds

Manning looked like a bust in his first spring training after the Tigers took him with the ninth overall pick in 2016, as he lost the strike zone and had to be held back in extended spring training to rework his delivery. That effort paid off in 2018, as Manning looks like a new pitcher, with a better, less mechanical delivery that he can repeat well and that makes great use of his 6-foot-6 frame for huge extension out front, and better pure stuff than he had shown in the previous two summers.

Manning was a two-sport star in high school who had a basketball scholarship to Loyola Marymount and would hit 98 mph on his fastball but without great life and no feel for a breaking ball. In 2018, he would sit 92 to 95 and get more swings-and-misses on the fastball thanks to that extension, with a tighter 11/5 curveball up to 80 mph that showed above average and a changeup that is above average when he doesn't overthrow it.

Manning finished in the top 20 in the minors in total strikeouts and ended the year in Double-A, which puts him on track to see the majors in 2020, if not this year. There's still work to do, but the progress he has made in a fairly short time is a testament to his work ethic and athleticism, and there's good reason to believe he'll keep improving and get to a No. 3 starter upside.

i
66. JoJo Romero, LHP, Philadelphia Phillies
6-foot | 190 pounds
Top level: Double-A | 2018 rank:59

The Phillies were aggressive with Romero in 2018, pushing him to Double-A Reading, a very good hitter's park, after just 10 starts in High-A to end 2017, and he struggled for the first month with command and learning how to put away better hitters. Romero will show three above-average or better pitches, working 89 to 94 mph much of the time but able to reach back for 96 to 97 even deep into starts, while also showing a plus slider, above-average changeup and a curveball that's adequate but perhaps not needed in his arsenal. He has been a ground ball pitcher at every stop in the minors so far. He is an excellent fielder and controls the running game exceptionally well for a prospect, allowing just three stolen bases all season.

Romero's command still lags a little, and he has a tendency to spin off his front heel when he lands, which can pull him off line, even though his delivery gets him right toward the plate. His season ended in late July with a strained oblique muscle, costing him probably six or seven starts, and he'll likely need the full year in Triple-A before he is ready to come up, but there's at least No. 3 starter upside here with the chance for him to be truly plus if the command keeps improving.

i
67. J.B. Bukauskas, RHP, Houston Astros
6-foot | 196 pounds
Top level: Double-A | 2018 rank: 74

The Astros' first-round pick in 2017 threw just 10 innings that season after signing, since he had been worked hard for three years at North Carolina, but his 2018 season was curtailed by a March car accident that led to a slipped disc and cost him two months of the regular season. When he returned, however, he was as good as ever. Bukauskas reached 99.7 mph in the Arizona Fall League, the hardest anyone had seen from him, so he appears to be fully recovered. He is a 6-foot right-hander with plus velocity and a plus slider and average changeup, showing some platoon split last year but not an alarming one, and he started working in a 90 to 91 mph cutter in the Fall League too.

Bukauskas has an aggressive, hypercompetitive style of pitching that would work well in just about any role. His delivery is not pretty, with most of the effort coming from his arm rather than his lower half, and his fastball can be flat due to his size and lack of plane. For all that, he has never had an arm injury, and he continued to miss bats and limit hard contact when he was able to pitch last year. I don't foresee him throwing 180 innings regularly, but he could be a mid-rotation starter if he holds up, and he has high upside in relief if the delivery eventually forces him out of a starter role.

i
68. Daz Cameron, CF, Detroit Tigers
6-foot-2 | 195 pounds
Top level: Triple-A | 2018 rank: 86

Cameron continues to make quiet, steady progress, a strange contrast to when he was a bit overhyped as a high school prospect who suffered in comparison to his father, Mike. Cameron is an instinctive center fielder who should end up plus on defense and has enough speed to be an asset on the bases if he works on getting better reads off pitchers. Cameron isn't going to hit for the same sort of home run power his dad did, but he has plenty of gap power and goes the other way very effectively.

He is willing to run deep counts, so there should be on-base skills along with some high strikeout totals, which held true until his late-August promotion to Triple-A but resumed with a strong showing in the Arizona Fall League. His hands are loose, and he has good barrel control, just lacking much loft in his swing; but there's no mechanical reason to think he'll struggle with contact in the majors. He might only hit 12 to 15 homers, but with plus defense, a strong OBP and 20-odd steals to go with it, which would make him an above-average regular in center.

i
69. Luis Garcia, SS, Philadelphia Phillies

5-foot-11 | 170 pounds

The Phillies gave Garcia $2.5 million in 2017, and he has joined their pipeline of high-end international talent signed by their longtime international director, Sal Agostinelli, ripping through the Gulf Coast League last year at age 17 with a .369/.433/.488 line. He is a switch-hitting shortstop who projects to hit from both sides of the plate and stay at the position with above-average defense, with a better swing now from the right side and more tendency to chase hitting left-handed.

In the field, he already has made substantial progress from just a year in a pro system, particularly on being more consistent on routine plays, and even though he is going to end up an average runner, he projects to stay at short with above-average to plus defense. His makeup earns rave reviews from the Phillies' staff, from his maturity to his aptitude for learning -- and between that and the potential for a plus or better hit tool with high on-base skills, he could be a top-20 prospect in a year.

Josh James, RHP, Houston Astros
6-foot-3 | 206 pounds
Top level: MLB | 2018 rank: Unranked

A year ago, James was barely on the prospect radar. He threw hard but was out of shape, didn't throw enough strikes or miss enough bats to be a potential starter and ended 2017 on the worst possible note -- giving up 19 runs in his last four starts in Double-A over just 8⅔ innings, while ending up in the team's doghouse for non-baseball reasons, as well. He recommitted to his career in the offseason, getting his body in much better shape, and showed up in 2018 a new pitcher, throwing harder than ever with more life and a harder slider, ending the year in the majors -- where he bumped 101 mph in his debut.

James has gone from a maybe-reliever to a likely starter, with a huge fastball that plays, a plus slider and an average changeup, and he holds his stuff deep into starts. You can dream on him pitching atop a rotation, although his command probably will keep him more in the above-average category -- but to get there from where he was 15 months ago is a heck of an achievement.

i
71. Jesus Sanchez, OF, Tampa Bay Rays
Bats: L | Throws: R
6-foot-3 | 210 pounds
Top level: Double-A | 2018 rank: 34

Sanchez continued to swing at everything and hit a lot of it, generally hitting it hard, as a 20-year-old in High-A last year (with a late-summer bump to Double-A), and the Oscar Taveras comparisons that have stuck to him since his pro debut still seem to hold. Sanchez has always had a preternatural ability to hit, from when he first signed, and he posts some of the best exit velocities in the Rays' system, although his approach -- see ball, hit ball -- remains unrefined. Because he can make contact with so many pitches out of the zone, he tends to expand too easily, so he doesn't walk much and rolls over to the right side too often.

He is going to end up in right field, with a plus arm and probably average range. With his potential to hit .300 regularly with 18 to 22 homers, even with low walk rates he should be at least an everyday regular with the potential to grow into more.

i
72. Cole Winn, RHP, Texas Rangers
6-foot-2 | 190 pounds
Top level: Has yet to play | 2018 rank: Ineligible

Winn was the top command guy in last year's high school class, offering less projection than your typical prep arm but more polish and a more advanced feel for the craft of pitching. Winn pitched in Colorado until his senior year, when he moved to California and enrolled at Orange Lutheran; and before his senior year, he tightened up his delivery while watching his stuff creep up to above average, with fastball velocity topping out at 95 mph and also showing average command of both a curve and a slider. He has a big stride toward the plate to finish over his front side, gaining extension and extracting the most velocity he can from his lower half.

His changeup still lags his other weapons, and if he's going to work with a grade-55 fastball, his command will have to stay where we all saw it last spring for him to remain a starter; but his delivery and makeup say he can do it, with the upside of an above-average major league starter.

i
73. Brandon Marsh, OF, Los Angeles Angels
6-foot-4 | 210 pounds
Top level: High-A | 2018 rank: 88

Marsh started 2018 in the Midwest League, making his full-season debut at age 20. He was so good so early, hitting .295/.390/.470, that the Angels bumped him right up after 34 games to High-A, where he continued to rack up walks and display doubles power. Marsh is an exceptional athlete who shows great instincts on both sides of the ball as well as on the basepaths, with 55/60-grade speed that plays up as a result.

He is a plus defender in center both in range and arm, and his bat has so far played out for good on-base/doubles skills, with untapped power that might require a small tweak to his swing finish to unleash. His defensive chops and athleticism give him a high floor as an extra outfielder, but it's easy to see him becoming a four-win player with on-base skills and even 15 or so homers a year.

i
74. Bo (Noah) Naylor, C/3B, Cleveland Indians
6-foot | 195 pounds
Top level: Rookie | 2018 rank: Ineligible

Naylor was 14th on my draft board but was still available for Cleveland at pick 29, where it had to be ecstatic to land one of the draft's best position player prospects -- even though it's still not clear what position he'll play. Naylor caught and played in the infield as an amateur, and Cleveland plans to develop him as a catcher while also giving him reps at third base, with second base always a possibility down the line, to maintain some flexibility. He is a superb athlete who gets raves for his on-field intelligence, and he has real tools in a plus arm, plus speed and real feel to hit, rolling right out of the draft to post a .381 OBP in the Arizona Rookie League that would have ranked in the top 20 had he qualified.

He is a work in progress as a receiver, with plenty of arm strength and the agility for the position but lacking the receiving and game-calling skills he'll need to catch. I have little doubt he would be at least a 55-grade defender at third or second and that his bat will play at any of those spots; but of course, he has the highest upside if he remains behind the dish. Regardless of his position, Cleveland seems to have landed a good regular, maybe a lot more, at a spot in the draft when someone with his upside should have been long gone.

Last edited:
75. Drew Waters, CF, Atlanta Braves
6-foot-2 | 183 pounds

Waters looked awful in the summer of 2017 after signing with Atlanta, with some of the worst reports I got from pro scouts on players from that draft class. But he turned that around with a strong full-season debut in 2018 that had him hitting for average and power as a 19-year-old in Low-A, boosted by a crazy 26-game stretch in May and June when he had just one hitless game.

Waters has a great ability to put the barrel on the ball that produces a lot of good contact, and as he fills out his wide-shouldered frame, he should make harder contact and come into more power. He is a switch-hitter who had a large platoon split last year; his swings differ, but the right-handed swing, while less loose, still works and should produce at least some line-drive contact and power as he sees more lefties. Waters is an above-average defender in center, although he is behind Cristian Pache on the Atlanta organization's center field depth chart; these rankings don't consider that, so I rate him here as a center fielder, even though he could end up in a corner for his current team.

He'll need to fill out and start working the count more now that he's in High-A, but between his hit tool and defensive promise, he could be an above-average regular.

i
76. Jonathan India, 3B, Cincinnati Reds
6-foot-1 | 190 pounds
Top level: A-ball | 2018 rank: Ineligible

India was, to be kind, just not a guy entering his junior year at the University of Florida; scouts went to see the Gators for pitchers Brady Singer and Jackson Kowar. And if you saw India while you were there, you'd write him up for your second- or more likely third-round pick. India then hit .350/.497/.717 that spring with 21 homers, and he was even better facing his toughest opponents in the SEC, leading the nation's best conference in homers, with 17 of those 21 coming in SEC play.

He is more a solid regular than a star, though, a former shortstop who could settle at third or second, with the hands for any position but not quite enough range for short. He is an average runner with some legit pop and a good idea at the plate, lacking projection but also lacking any real deficiencies. So, the hope is that he can move quickly to the majors given his skill set and experience in the SEC. He could end up an everyday player at third or second or become a multipositional guy to make use of his versatility, and he should be one of the fastest players to the majors from the 2018 draft class.

i
77. Nate Pearson, RHP, Toronto Blue Jays
6-foot-6 | 245 pounds
Top level: High-A | 2018 rank: 100

Pearson's 2018 season might as well have never happened, since it ended after one start. Pearson came out of spring training with a sore intercostal muscle, returned for a single outing and took a comebacker off his elbow that broke his ulna and kept him out until the Arizona Fall League, where his results were mixed. Pearson throws an easy 100 mph from a big frame with good arm action, and he gets power on the slider up to 92 mph, although it's good because of its velocity rather than its shape or bite. His changeup is a clear third pitch, and he'll mix in a get-me-over curveball, as well.

He was extremely rusty when the AFL began after the long layoff; in the outing I saw, Pearson recorded just three outs and walked four guys. But by the end of the fall, he was throwing more strikes and had regained all of his previous velocity. His secondary stuff remains a work in progress, and he didn't make in-game adjustments very well in the fall, with scouts struggling to align his athleticism with his lack of body control in his bad starts. There's a huge range of potential outcomes here, from set-up man to frontline starter, but the upside is definitely in there.

i
78. Oneil Cruz, SS, Pittsburgh Pirates
6-foot-6 | 175 pounds

Cruz is a shortstop, but, I mean, he's not a shortstop -- and he might not be an infielder. If I had to guess on his eventual position, I'd say right field, although I think that's the end of a sequence of spots they'll try from short to third base to center field to right. This is all because Cruz has huge power, has a plus-plus arm and is at least 6-foot-6, probably an inch or two taller than that. Only one player 6-foot-6 or taller has ever played 100 games at second, third and/or short -- third baseman Ryan Minor, who played 101 games at third. So Cruz is bucking history with his height, but his enormous, grade-80 raw power and lean, athletic body would play well somewhere in the outfield. He is probably fast enough for center now, but he could fill out to the point that he has to go to right, where his absurd arm strength also will play up.

There's a fair amount of swing-and-miss to Cruz's approach, as his batting eye is fine but his swing gets very long, as you might imagine from someone roughly Aaron Judge's height. So, there's a bit of uncertainty around Cruz, from where he'll play to how much he'll hit. But the upside here -- 35 homers with some on-base skills and maybe even plus defense in an outfield corner -- would make him a potential 4-5 WAR regular.

i
79. Will Smith, C, Los Angeles Dodgers
6-foot | 192 pounds
Top level: Triple-A | 2018 rank: Unranked

The Dodgers preach launch angle to their minor league prospects and have been known to tinker with many players' swings to attempt to optimize their power output, an approach that will work for some players but perhaps hurt some players' ability to hit. Smith looks like a great success story, as the Dodgers worked their magic with him and turned a below-average power guy who hit 11 homers in a full year in hitter-friendly Rancho Cucamonga into an above-average power guy who hit 20 in 98 games between Double- and Triple-A this past season. That's especially good news, because Smith already could do enough other things to make him a likely major league backup, at least, with a pretty good eye, plus receiving and framing, and a history of high caught-stealing rates.

The Dodgers let Yasmani Grandal walk as a free agent, and they have seemed disinclined to do much to replace him in the near term; Smith's emergence as a likely everyday catcher who also now has the potential to be a good bit better than that is probably the main reason why.

i
80. Logan Allen, LHP, San Diego Padres
Bats: R | Throws: L
6-foot-3 | 200 pounds
Top level: Triple-A | 2018 rank: 89

The Padres have so many famous prospects at this point that Allen often ends up a forgotten man in discussions of their system. But he is quite close to major-league-ready and has a higher floor than many better-known Padres kids because he's a left-handed pitcher with control and an assortment of weapons.

Allen has three solid-average or better pitches with a 90 to 94 mph fastball, mid-80s slider and a power changeup with good action in the low 80s, as well as a curveball that he doesn't use that much and that's clearly his fourth pitch. He is a solid athlete with a strong build, although there's a little effort to the delivery and some cross-body action as he comes to the plate, which concerns me that his command might never get up to above average. Even so, he keeps missing bats, doing so through Triple-A so far, and competes well with plus control. He should be at least a league-average starter for San Diego, with an ETA of sometime this summer.

i
81. William Contreras, C, Atlanta Braves
6-foot-0 | 180 pounds

Yes, this is Willson Contreras' little brother, who is a pretty good prospect in his own right and has emerged at a much younger age than Willson did. William Contreras has a lot in common with his older brother, from great athletic ability to strong bat-to-ball skills to a plus arm, performing very well as a 20-year-old in Rome last year with a .293/.360/.463 line before he was promoted to High-A.

William has a contact swing but not a power one, with no stride at all, just a heel-tap trigger, although his hands are so quick that he does make a lot of hard contact -- and still hit 11 homers last year. He is a better receiver than his brother is, as he has been a catcher since he signed, while Willson was converted there at age 20 and didn't catch full time until a year later. William seems to make a lot of the game look easy, from hitting to throwing to catching, and both his body and his work on the softer aspects of catching have areas for improvement. There's risk from his youth, but he also doesn't have far to go to project as an above-average regular behind the plate and maybe even a half-grade more.

i
82. Joey Bart, C, San Francisco Giants
6-foot-3 | 220 pounds
Top level: Low-A | 2018 rank: Ineligible

Bart was the second overall pick in the 2018 draft and probably the safest choice the Giants could have made there with Casey Mize off the board, as Bart could probably be a backup catcher in the big leagues in 2020 without much development from this point. Bart is a premium defender at a position where we often ask premium defenders to just remember to take their bat to the plate, but he also has plus power that could translate to 20 to 25 homers a year.

His hands are soft and he blocks well, with a plus arm, or so I'm told, because no one ever ran on him when I saw him for Georgia Tech. At the plate, however, he is a power-over-hit guy with a lot of swing-and-miss potential, and I think he's going to struggle to hit .250 or post a .300 OBP without a significant change to his approach. That's always possible, and you can be a pretty valuable big leaguer as a great defensive catcher who hits 20 homers with a .290 OBP.

i
83. Tony Santillan, RHP, Cincinnati Reds
6-foot-3 | 240 pounds

Watch on ESPN+

I'm not sure any prospect's presence on this list surprises me more than Santillan's -- granted, I make the list, but forget that, I'm rolling -- given what he was as a high school senior, a kid with a golden arm and no idea where the ball was going. It might be apocryphal, but I had at least a couple of scouts tell me they saw Santillan walk seven batters in a high school game. I'd guess the number of guys who have done that and made the majors is pretty low, but Santillan is on track. He reached 99 mph in high school, and he pitched at 93 to 97 this year -- really pitched, now, rather than just pumping gas, with an average slider and fringy changeup, as well as a disposable curveball.

He is a thicker-bodied kid but moves well and has some natural athleticism, like David Wells, and there's some hope the slider and changeup will end up above-average pitches. Scouts were most impressed this year by his feel to mix his different pitches and land the secondary pitches for strikes when he needed to, even when his fastball command was erratic. It's an intriguing package, with No. 2 starter upside, probably settling in more as just an above-average starter who tantalizes you with the hope he'll become more.

i
84. Ronaldo Hernandez, C, Tampa Bay Rays
6-foot-1 | 185 pounds

The Rays signed Hernandez in 2014 as an infielder but converted him behind the plate right away, taking advantage of his arm strength, seeing power potential there to make him an above-average regular if he took to the position. His full-season debut in 2018 couldn't have gone much better, as Hernandez broke out with 21 homers, finishing one off the league lead, with a nice 69 strikeouts in 449 PA, continuing to make contact in a brief AFL stint in November.

He is still very pull-oriented at the plate, hitting all of his homers to left and all but two of his doubles to left/left-center; and while his ability to get bat to ball is there, he needs to be more selective, especially with pitches out of the zone. Behind the plate, his catching has progressed to the point where scouts think he'll stay there, although he needs more work on receiving and blocking, with the arm already in place.

He has a high floor as a backup catcher with power, but there's potential here for an All-Star regular who controls the running game with 20-plus homers a year.

i
85. Zack Brown, RHP, Milwaukee Brewers
6-foot-1 | 180 pounds

Corbin Burnes and Brandon Woodruff were both top-100 prospects for me and played huge roles in the Brewers' bullpen in 2018 before what will presumably be a transition to the rotation this spring. Brown looks set to follow in their footsteps after a breakout year with Double-A Biloxi. Drafted in the fifth round out of the University of Kentucky in 2016, Brown saw everything tick up last year. He is throwing 92 to 95 mph, working with a four- and a two-seamer, as well as a plus curveball, a changeup and a new slider that should give him a fourth (or fifth) average pitch.

He is very competitive, and he showed last year that he could command his stuff to both sides of the plate. He always has thrown strikes, but work with the Brewers' coaches got him to focus less on throwing hard and more on locating. I do hear mixed things on the fastball life, and there's some scout concern that he ultimately is a reliever, but the command and pitch mix point to at least a back-end starter -- and he's still improving.

i
86. Griffin Canning, RHP, Los Angeles Angels
6-foot-1 | 170 pounds

Canning was a near-lock for a first-round pick in 2017 before his pre-draft medical reports reached teams, after which concerns about his arm -- reportedly both to his shoulder and elbow -- knocked him out of the first round completely. So, the Angels, who have been much more risk-tolerant under general manager Billy Eppler, were able to nab him in the second round. All Canning did in his first pro season was stay healthy ... and spend the second half of his year in Triple-A, to the point where they could project him to contribute in a significant way to their 2019 squad.

Canning is throwing even harder than he did in college, sitting at 93 to 94 mph, to which he adds a plus slider and both a curve and change that can range from above-average to plus. He always has been a strike thrower, even with effort to his delivery that might make it harder to repeat. Canning was worked very hard at UCLA, and there's still some higher-than-normal risk of an injury; but he has been fine since the Angels signed him, and there's really nothing they can do to mitigate past damage anyway. He should be a league-average starter right now, with No. 2 starter upside if he holds up physically.

i
87. Austin Riley, 3B, Atlanta Braves
6-foot-3 | 220 pounds

When Riley was drafted by Atlanta, he was a two-way high school player in Mississippi whom many teams preferred on the mound. He was a bad defender at third with a "dumpy body" (according to one scout) who had raw power and a plus arm but swing-and-miss concerns. He is a completely different guy now, having worked very hard on his body and fielding to turn himself into a plus defender who also gets to his power consistently enough to project as at least a solid regular.

Riley does strike out often, a shade under 30 percent in Triple-A last year, as he is very strong with an improved eye but has just average bat speed. To his credit, however, he has started slow at lower levels and made adjustments as he has stayed at each one, eventually doing well enough to earn further promotions; and it would fit the pattern if he comes out hot this year in Triple-A and pushes Atlanta to call him up by June.

He has done a tremendous job remaking himself as a player since he wasn't even a top-100 draft prospect in his senior year, and now Atlanta seems to have its third baseman of the future.

i
88. Sean Murphy, C, Oakland Athletics
6-foot-3 | 215 pounds

Murphy has an 80-grade arm, 55 to 60 receiving skills and plus raw power. He could hit .220 and still be a decent big leaguer, given the current state of catching and the way teams value defense at the position.

The A's third-round pick in 2016 has worked around injuries, including a broken hamate, but when on the field, he has shown one of the best throwing arms on any catcher in the minors as well as much-improved skills behind the plate. It's a below-average hit tool, maybe well below average, and that limits his ceiling and provides some risk that maybe he just never hits enough to be more than a backup, although his eye and raw power seem to make that unlikely. If he even hits .250, he could get to 25-plus homers, and I think a conservative projection that has him hitting .230 with a .310 OBP and 15 homers would make him at least a regular, with the hope that he'll make enough hard contact for more.

i
89. Daulton Varsho, C, Arizona Diamondbacks
5-foot-10 | 190 pounds

Varsho was Arizona's second-round pick in 2017 and went right to High-A for his first full season -- and only a broken hamate bone could slow him down, as he hit .286/.363/.451 for Visalia, with 19 steals in 22 attempts. That stolen-base total led all minor league catchers, even though Varsho was limited to 83 games, and he stole more bases than all major league catchers who qualified for the batting title in 2018 had combined. He is an average receiver who blocks very well and frames adequately; his arm strength is fringe, but he gets rid of the ball very quickly.

Some scouts think Varsho will end up at another position, such as second base, either because they doubt his receiving skills or because they think his speed and athleticism is wasted behind the plate. I've ranked him here as if there's a good chance he stays at catcher, but it looks very much like his bat will make him an above-average regular somewhere, whether it's at catcher, second or somewhere else -- providing average, some very good on-base skills and 15 to 20 homers.

i
90. Peter Alonso, 1B, New York Mets
6-foot-3 | 245 pounds

Alonso led the minors in home runs last year, bashing 36 between Double-A Binghamton and hitter-friendly Triple-A Las Vegas, and then tied for the AFL lead with six more. Alonso was more of a hitter for average who happened to have some power at the University of Florida, from which the Mets took him in the second round in 2016. But in pro ball, he has become more power-centric, even selling out sometimes to pull the ball. He also has become more vulnerable to velocity in on his hands as a result of his pull-happy approach, although his history suggests he can be more of an all-fields hitter without sacrificing all of that power.

Alonso has always been big, but he is large enough now that he's a 40-grade defender at first base, and I think there's a real chance he'll have to DH in the long term -- as do many scouts who saw him struggle on defense last season or in the Arizona Fall League. The Mets seem committed to playing him at first this year, and he seems likely to hit 20 to 25 homers even if he strikes out too often, with above-average upside if he can balance his approach between contact and power.

i
91. Miguel Amaya, C, Chicago Cubs
6-foot-1 | 185 pounds

The lone Cub on the list or even particularly close to it, Amaya struggled as an 18-year-old in the advanced short-season Northwest League in 2017, putting up a .266 OBP. But another year of growth had him a different player in the full-season Midwest League, where he hit .256/.349/.403 and threw out 41 percent of opposing runners. Amaya is an offensive catcher, perhaps a future average defender with a plus arm, but a potential 55-grade hitter with average power and a solid idea of the strike zone. He has to continue to get stronger, if only for durability. He slugged .478 before the major league All-Star break but hit .198 with a .223 slugging percentage after it, which isn't surprising for a 19-year-old at a very demanding position, but it's a clear area for improvement.

Amaya has a very simple swing and approach, with a direct path to the ball, good balance through contact and enough loft for 15-plus-homer power, perhaps more if he gets stronger than expected. He will turn 20 in March, so there's risk here, but right now, he looks like a solid everyday catcher with a high floor as a quality backup.

i
92. Peter Lambert, RHP, Colorado Rockies
6-foot-2 | 185 pounds
Top level: Triple-A | 2018 rank: 63

Lambert was the Rockies' second-round pick in 2015 out of a California high school, valued more for his athletic ability and projection than the sense that he was going to move quickly. But that's just what he has done, reaching Triple-A last year at age 21. Lambert's flaw as a prospect is the lack of a plus pitch, but he throws a ton of strikes with four weapons -- a solid-average fastball that will touch 94 to 95 mph, in addition to a well above-average changeup and an average curve and slider. He just doesn't walk guys -- 101 in his pro career across 447⅔ innings (5.5 percent of batters faced) -- and he repeats his simple delivery well, coming from a high three-quarters slot that adds some deception. His stride could be a little longer, and he has to avoid spinning off his front heel or risk losing some of that plus control.

He looks like a fourth starter, someone who could quietly be league average for a while, although I still hold out hope he'll find another half-grade or more of velocity before he peaks.

i
93. Kristian Robinson, OF, Arizona Diamondbacks
6-foot-3 | 190 pounds

Like Jazz Chisholm, Robinson is a Bahamian prospect, one of the heads of the wave of prospects from that country speeding toward the majors who might make it the next great hotbed for international talent. Robinson signed with Arizona for $2.5 million in 2017, the second-highest bonus ever given to a Bahamian prospect (after Lucius Fox, now with the Rays), and earned raves in his debut in 2018 for his combination of elite tools, size and unexpected polish. He is a plus runner with big raw power now and future plus game power, showing the speed for center field and great instincts, although a fringy arm and his potential size might push him to left. At the plate, he has very strong hands and a quiet approach, but he generates a lot of force when he does swing and drives the ball well to left and center.

He also impressed with his hitting plan at the plate, both his ability to recognize pitches and the sense that he had a game plan in place for certain pitchers -- all exceptional for a 17-year-old. And he performed, even raking in a three-week promotion to the Pioneer League at the end of the summer. He might move up faster than expected given how polished he seems to be at the plate, and he has 25/25 homer/steal upside with real OBP skills that would play even if he does have to move to left.

i
94. Shane Baz, RHP, Tampa Bay Rays
6-foot-3 | 190 pounds
Top level: Rookie | 2018 rank: 65

Baz was the player to be named in the Chris Archer trade but also was the most valuable player coming back to Tampa Bay from Pittsburgh, with substantial upside that doesn't require physical projection but on-field development. Baz works with a plus fastball and slider, sitting at 92 to 95 mph, touching 98 in high school, and he has an above-average changeup and a curveball that isn't far behind.

He is very well put together physically with a great frame that already is filling out, and he has strength in his lower half that he needs to learn to use more effectively for durability and command. He still is learning to harness his stuff, to throw more and better strikes, and to make better use of the weapons he already has. So we can talk about No. 1 starter upside just based on the present arsenal and physical package, but his range of outcomes remains very wide until he starts to make that progress with command and control.

i
95. Hans Crouse, RHP, Texas Rangers
6-foot-4 | 180 pounds

Crouse is unusual among starter prospects in the minors, as he makes a relieverlike delivery work for him and shows feel for pitching atypical for someone who pitches (or at least looks like he pitches) with a reliever's hard-harder-hardest mentality. Crouse works in the mid-90s, touching 97 to 98 mph, and is unafraid to attack hitters in the zone with the pitch, pairing it with a plus slider that is a swing-and-miss offering. His changeup is a work in progress, a pitch the Rangers have made a developmental focus for him, but it still lags behind the other two pitches. He killed right-handed batters last year, with a 31 percent strikeout rate, but had a significant platoon split of nearly 200 points of OPS.

Crouse's delivery looks manic and high-effort. He earns comparisons to a young Max Scherzer, who pitched the same way and with the same "I'm going to get you, kill you and desecrate your grave" affect on the mound, which makes everyone want to consign Crouse to the bullpen. And yet so far, he holds his stuff and throws plenty of strikes to stay in the rotation. It will probably come down to the changeup, as well as the obvious issue of arm health, but if that third pitch comes, he looks like the type of pitcher who will succeed as a mid-rotation starter.

i
96. Mason Denaburg, RHP, Washington Nationals
6-foot-4 | 195 pounds
Top level: Has yet to play | 2018 rank: Ineligible

Denaburg came out of the chute hot last spring and at one point seemed like he might be the best high school right-hander in the draft class; but his shoulder came up tender after a much-attended game against right-hander Carter Stewart (now at Eastern Florida State College). Denaburg came back after almost two months off and looked as good as ever, carrying that success through the summer into instructs.

Denaburg works with a plus fastball up to 97 mph that has huge run to it, the kind that should break a lot of bats, and pairs it with an above-average curveball that some folks project to plus and a solid-average changeup. He is a good athlete who can swing the bat some as well and has a little projection left on his frame, more for durability than for any hope of more velocity at this point, as he already has three pitches in place with plenty of heat on the fastball. There's risk here from the injury scare to his age to the lack of any pro experience to date, but if he's completely healthy now after a summer off, the Nats might have nabbed a top-10 talent who has No. 2 starter upside.

i
97. Andres Gimenez, SS, New York Mets
5-foot-11 | 161 pounds

Gimenez has performed well as a teenager in full-season ball over the past two years, which helps him grade out well in projection systems that (appropriately) weigh age relative to level, but he doesn't have the sort of offensive upside that most players this young would have. He is a solid 60-grade defender at shortstop, enough that he'll likely have a long major league career no matter what he does with the stick. At the plate, however, he doesn't project to have much impact -- at the very least, he has to get a lot stronger, and he doesn't have the body or swing to ever be a big power guy. His secret weapon is his baserunning.

He is an average to above-average runner, and his 38 steals put him in the top 20 in all of minor league baseball last year, with instincts that should help him improve his success rate going forward. He could be a regular for some teams or a utility infielder on playoff clubs; either way, he could play a long time in the majors, with peak seasons in which he hits .280/.340/.380 with 10 homers and 40 steals.

i
98. Carter Kieboom, SS/2B, Washington Nationals
6-foot-2 | 190 pounds

Kieboom seems close to ready for a major league job, and the Nats appear to agree, having signed Brian Dozier to a one-year deal to fill the gap at second base while refusing to part with Kieboom in trades for the last year. He is probably a solid-average regular at second in the long run, although there's some possibility of more depending on how much he hits for average. Kieboom is a shortstop now but is a 45-grade defender there, lacking the speed or range to stay at that spot; while his hands are very good and he should be no worse than a 55 defender at second, although he needs work on the double play there. At the plate, he got off to a horrible start in 2018 in High-A, but then went on a tear in May and June to earn a promotion to Double-A before a strong showing in the Arizona Fall League.

Kieboom doesn't show much game power but takes a big cut at the ball without the sort of swing-and-miss you would expect from that kind of swing. His plate discipline has been surprisingly inconsistent across the many times I've seen him, less pitch recognition than swing decisions, especially when pitchers would expand the zone on him. He got ground ball-heavy early in 2018 but worked his way out of it and restored his swing to be more of a line-drive guy, which I think is ultimately his profile. The hope here is that he ends up with a 60 hit tool and 50 power at second base with some walks, a .300 average/.375 on-base type with 15 to 20 homers, which would make him a star. The most likely outcome is that he's a solid-average regular for a long time and has a year or two that still put him into that star category.

i
99. Ronny Mauricio, SS, New York Mets
6-foot-3 | 166 pounds

The Mets are really loaded with shortstop prospects, which is a very good area in which to have a lot of depth. Luis Guillorme is probably an 80-grade defender, just without much offense to speak of. Sherwyn Newton, a Dutch prospect with big tools and a crude approach at the plate, is a 65 defender, perhaps a future 70, with more upside with the stick. Mauricio has the best balance across the board of tools and skills, having both offensive and defensive upside, and thus the best chance of the group to become a star.

Mauricio is a switch-hitter who projects to hit for average and power, with a lean, wiry body that is still highly projectable. He showed an ability to make contact beyond what most 17-year-olds can do in short-season ball. (However, after his 1 for 7 performance last summer, perhaps stealing bases won't be part of his game.) His hands are loose and easy at the plate, and he has the kind of quick actions in the field you would expect from a fast-twitch athlete, such as on the transfer to his throwing hand. He signed for $2.1 million in 2017, the largest bonus the Mets had ever given an amateur player to that point, and the early returns are really strong, with All-Star upside and a path that could get him to the majors by 2022.

i
100. Lucius Fox, SS, Tampa Bay Rays
6-foot-1 | 180 pounds

Fox needed to get stronger, and he did, to the point where we're talking less about potential and more about the present skills, and I can see him as the long-term shortstop solution the Rays have lacked since the franchise started. Fox signed with the Giants in 2015 as an international free agent, having moved to the Bahamas to avoid the draft and make more money, then went to Tampa Bay a year later in the Matt Moore trade.

Fox was still underdeveloped even at the time of the trade, but he has begun to fill out physically, enough that he is making some better quality contact even as he moves up to face better pitching. He always has been an above-average defender at short with great hands and a 60-grade arm, and he is a plus-plus runner with a 75 percent career success rate in pro ball. The question on Fox is whether he'll have any power at all; I think he is a guy who will hit 30 to 35 doubles and eight to 10 homers, with high contact rates to keep his average and OBP high. Double-A pitching will be a good test to see if he can handle good velocity from pitchers who can locate it better.

Last edited:
i skimmed over the list and all i know is i saw a crazy amount of Padres logos, Rays as well, i think more SD though.

Thanks for posting.

“the most exciting offseason in baseball” has certainly been a flop.

i feel like when machado and harper sign everyone’s gonna look and be like “oh cool” and then keep it moving

Keith Law's 2019 top prospects: Nos. 50-1
Espn.com Illustration
4:00 AM PT
  • i

Keith LawESPN Senior Writer
If you're not going for it in today's MLB environment, you're -- well, let's not say "tanking" and instead go with "developing." Teams that build from their farm system through the draft, the international market and trades of veterans for prospects keep reaching and winning the World Series.

The Kansas City Royals had the No. 1 farm system in baseball in 2011 and won two pennants, including a World Series championship in 2015. The Chicago Cubs hit the top five in 2013, ranked No. 1 in 2015 and won the World Series in 2016. The Houston Astros had the No. 1 farm system in baseball in 2014 and won their first title in 2017. The Boston Red Sox just won a World Series with homegrown former top-100 prospects at all three outfield spots, third base and shortstop and used three other top-100 prospects to trade for Chris Sale and Craig Kimbrel.

i
1. Fernando Tatis Jr., SS, San Diego Padres
6-foot-3 | 185 pounds
Top level: Double-A | 2018 rank: 3

The minors are loaded with top position-player prospects right now, with the first four on my list signed as free agents from Latin America. That group is led by the budding superstar Tatis, who brings an offensive profile that would make him a star at a corner position but who also has the athleticism and skills to potentially stay in the middle of the field. Tatis emerged as an elite prospect right after the White Sox traded him to the Padres for James Shields in June 2016 after extended spring training, and he has done nothing but improve ever since, with only an injury last July holding him back.

Tatis looks like a younger Manny Machado, but he is stronger than Machado was at the same age, and there are similarities between their games across the board. Tatis has crazy strength for his age and has shown an advanced approach at the plate, leading the Midwest League in walks as an 18-year-old in 2017. The Padres jumped him over High-A last year to Double-A San Antonio, and after a bad April, Tatis hit .327/.400/.572 from May 1 until his season ended on July 19 with an injury. He did that as the youngest regular in the Texas League by a margin of six months.

Tatis has plus power and bat speed already, with the ideal bat path for line-drive power, though it gets a little bit long sometimes, which might give him some swing-and-miss in the inner third of the strike zone. He has continued to show the skills to stay at shortstop, from plus hands to above-average range both ways to a 70-grade arm, along with strong instincts and excellent tagging skills. He's a plus baserunner despite only average at best speed out of the box, thanks again to his feel for the game. He's a big kid with the frame to end up growing out of the middle of the field, so there's some risk that he's an All-Star only at third base, but his continued progress at shortstop along with his performance with the bat as a teenager through Double-A mark him as a potential MVP candidate and the best prospect in baseball.

i
2. Vlad Guerrero Jr., 3B, Toronto Blue Jays
6-foot-1 | 200 pounds
Top level: Triple-A | 2018 rank: 2

For pure bat, Vlad Jr. is the best prospect in the minors. If you could put an 80 on any prospect's hit tool, it would be his, and he has plus-plus power to go with it. Vlad's hands are electric, and he has shown an advanced feel for the strike zone since his pro debut at age 17, with just three more strikeouts than unintentional walks in his pro career. He overmatched Double-A pitching, then mashed in a month in Triple-A before coasting through a needless Arizona Fall League assignment in which he hit .351/.409/.442 while barely breaking a sweat (and looking like he knew he didn't belong there).

The knock on Baby Vlad is that he's probably a DH in the long run. He's enormous, and though he's a good athlete for his size, he has gotten so big so quickly that it's hard to imagine him at any position, let alone third base, where he isn't quick enough on his feet to play now and brings only a plus arm to the table. If he looks like this at 19, he's not going to be svelte at 23. Fortunately for him and the Blue Jays, he looks like a perennial .400 OBP guy who will hit 25-plus homers year in and year out, like a David Ortiz from the right side. Vlad Jr. was ready for the majors last June, but the Jays have manipulated his service time to try to gain an extra year of control in (checks notes) 2025. He's just as ready now and would be the heavy favorite for AL Rookie of the Year if the Jays just let the kid play.

i
3. Wander Franco, SS, Tampa Bay Rays
5-foot-10 | 189 pounds
Top level: Rookie ball | 2018 rank: Unranked

If the Latin American position players atop this list graduate this year -- which is possible -- Franco might jump up to take their place. One scout told me last summer that Franco was "the next teenage big leaguer," and I've seen absolutely nothing to contradict that. He was only 17 in the Appalachian League, but he hit .351/.418/.587, finishing in the top 10 in average and slugging while walking more than he struck out, which only one other teenager (of the more than 30) in the league did last year. Franco punched out in just 7 percent of his plate appearances, the best rate in the league among anyone with at least 100 PA, despite being the league's second-youngest player.

Franco has otherworldly hand speed, and when he squares it up, it's exothermic. He has plus power now -- he finished fourth in the league in homers with 11 -- and projects to at least 70 as he fills out, while his contact quality is exceptional. He's a shortstop now, and he could end up staying there, though he's so young and could fill out and slow down a little, so it's probably 50-50 that he ends up at second base. You can easily future-grade him 70 hit/70 power, and if he stays at shortstop, we're wondering if he's a top-five player in all of baseball.

i
4. Forrest Whitley, RHP, Houston Astros
6-foot-7 | 195 pounds
Top level: Double-A | 2018 rank: 8

Whitley's year was sort of a disaster, but he made a statement with his stuff when he pitched in the Arizona Fall League, reminding everyone that he's as talented as any pitcher in the minors. Whitley has a legitimate five-pitch mix -- yes, five -- along with size, control and a good delivery, all of which adds up to a potential No. 1 starter and someone who can help a major league team right away.

Whitley has hit 98 mph and worked in the 92-97 mph range in the AFL after missing two months with an injury. He has shown a ridiculous assortment of off-speed weapons, including a grade-70 changeup with deception, tumble and fade, an 88-92 mph cutter that was at least a grade-55 pitch, a tight low-80s curveball and a mid-80s true slider. He works from a three-quarters arm slot and gets on top of the ball well, and his body is straight out of central casting for a durable right-handed starter. His 2018 was ruined by a suspension for a banned stimulant that cost him the first two-plus months and an injury that cost him the last month-plus, but when Whitley was on the mound, it was comical. The Astros already have an ace or two on their big league staff, but Whitley has the stuff to match any of them.

i
5. Eloy Jimenez, OF, Chicago White Sox
6-foot-4 | 205 pounds
Top level: Triple-A | 2018 rank: 6

Eloy hasn't posted a batting average below .317 at any stop since the White Sox acquired him via trade in July 2017 from their crosstown rivals, and in 529 plate appearances between Double-A and Triple-A in the past year and a half, he has a .339/.386/.574 line with just 85 strikeouts. He turned 22 in November. I think it's fair to say that Eloy is a full-grown man, and his bat is clearly ready for the majors.

Jimenez has huge raw power, but unlike most young hitters with a plus-plus power tool, he has always had a disciplined approach and has focused just as much on hitting as on crushing the ball, using the whole field well and showing a real eye at the plate even as a 19-year-old in the Midwest League in 2016. He rarely strikes out because he has such good plate coverage, and he's strong enough to do damage on pitches normal hitters wouldn't get to. He has grown to the point that he's going to have to work to be an average defender in right; he's a well-below-average runner but has already shown the effort and feel to be capable on defense, with plenty of arm. His bat is good enough that his defense probably won't matter, and any team would gladly take a few runs not prevented by his glove for the high-average and 30-homer bat he'll provide.

i
6. Nick Senzel, 3B, Cincinnati Reds
6-foot-1 | 205 pounds
Top level: Triple-A | 2018 rank: 9

Where Senzel plays this year is an open question, but I've listed him as a third baseman because that's what he has been so far and because he has become quite good there -- good enough that I wouldn't think of moving him because he can hit. Senzel hit .310/.378/.509 in 44 games in Triple-A last year at age 23, but that's all he played due to vertigo that kept him out for more than a month in the spring and due to a broken finger he suffered in June. He also had elbow surgery in October to remove bone spurs, so I'm sure he'd like to leave 2018 in the rearview mirror -- but he has injury concerns going forward.

Senzel's swing is simple and geared toward hard line-drive contact. He starts his hands quickly and rotates his hips well to generate some more power, though he's more likely to hit .320 with a slew of doubles than to end up becoming a 35-homer guy. (Of course, the Reds' hitter-friendly ballpark might change that.) Senzel also has worked very hard to become an above-average defender at third, and he would probably be one at second base given enough reps. He's a plus-plus runner with a grade-70 arm, and I suppose putting him in center field might work ... but he's already a 55 defender at third, and his bat will profile there. Wherever he plays, he'll be productive, and he should be a solid regular who makes several All-Star teams, starting as soon as his health and the service-time game allow.

i
7. MacKenzie Gore, LHP, San Diego Padres
6-foot-3 | 191 pounds
Top level: A-ball | 2018 rank: 14

Gore's year wasn't what the Padres hoped to see, as a blister that started bothering him in April ended up lingering for a good chunk of the year. Although his stuff was intact, the results didn't match. When Gore is on, however, he has the best arsenal of any lefty prospect in baseball, throwing with up to 96 mph velocity and the ability to work the fastball to both sides of the plate. He also has a huge action changeup clocked in the mid-80s, a power curveball that he commands and will use to right-handers, and a tight slider that he throws up to 89 mph for a second weapon against lefties.

He's an absurd athlete who repeats his contortionist's delivery, with its abrupt, high leg kick, and gets to the same point out front at release. The Padres were careful with him because he was just 19 and had the blister issue, so he made only 16 starts and threw 60⅔ innings in 2018. The shackles on his workload should be looser this year, and assuming his blister issues are behind him, this should be a breakout campaign that gets him to at least Double-A. He has No. 1 starter upside thanks to his arsenal, command and athleticism.

i
8. Jo Adell, OF, Los Angeles Angels
6-foot-3 | 208 pounds
Top level: High-A | 2018 rank: 55

Small adjustments to Adell's swing and setup have taken him from a crude, high-upside athlete when the Angels took him No. 10 overall in 2017 to the polished, quick-adjusting top-10-overall prospect he is today. Adell started 2018 in Low-A, but he overmatched pitchers there, then continued to mash in High-A. Despite the fact that he was in his first full pro season and just 19 years old, the Angels bumped him up to Double-A to finish the year.

Minnesota Twins
6-foot-2 | 188 pounds
Top level: High-A | 2018 rank: 25

Lewis was the No. 1 overall pick in 2017, and his first full pro season made that decision by the Twins -- taking Lewis over more heralded prospects such as Hunter Greene -- look very, very smart. Lewis crushed Midwest League pitching at age 19, hitting .315/.368/.485 in half a season with just a 15 percent strikeout rate for Cedar Rapids and earning a midyear promotion to High-A, where he didn't hit as well but continued to make a ton of contact. He's an elite base stealer, probably a 65- or 70-grade runner but with speed that plays way above that because of his instincts on the bases; he already has a stolen base success rate above 80 percent as a pro.

Lewis is still at shortstop, and he has improved marginally on defense, though he still has trouble with routine plays and throwing accuracy. There are mixed opinions from scouts on whether he projects to stay there or is still, as he was at the time he was drafted, projected to end up in center field, where his speed and instincts would likely position him as a 70-grade defender with a 70 arm. His defense could be game-altering in center, but if he develops into even an average defender at short, he'd be a star because of the potency of his bat and his baserunning acumen. Either way, it looks like the Twins made a shrewd call against the grain to take him with that first pick.

i
10. Victor Robles, CF, Washington Nationals

6 feet | 190 pounds
Top level: MLB | 2018 rank: 4

If I'd told you last March that a Nationals outfield prospect would end up second in the National League Rookie of the Year balloting, you probably would have guessed Robles finally got his chance in D.C. after a few years near the top of these rankings. However, Robles suffered a hyperextended left elbow diving for a ball in April, and Juan Soto left skid marks on his route to the majors, while Robles missed three months with the injury. He's back, however, and ready to step into the Nats' outfield, which -- assuming Bryce Harper isn't returning -- will have a rather large void in it.

Robles is a true five-tool prospect, with 70-grade speed, plus or better defense, a 70 arm, plus raw power and at least a future plus hit tool, with high contact rates during his career to date and a decent eye. He has never failed at any stop, with this past year's injury the only real blemish on his record. All indications, from his skill set to his cup of coffee with the big club in 2018, are that he's ready to hit right now. Tatis has more upside as a potential shortstop, but Robles looks like he has a job already, and he'd be my preseason pick for Rookie of the Year, with the upside of someone who makes a lot of All-Star teams and posts several 5.0-plus WAR seasons thanks to his bat and glove.

i
11. Alex Kirilloff, RF, Minnesota Twins
6-foot-2 | 215 pounds

Kirilloff missed all of 2017 after a ligament tear in his throwing elbow required Tommy John surgery, but the layoff didn't seem to affect his bat much. He hit .333/.391/.607 for Low-A Cedar Rapids and was promoted to High-A; he hit .362/.393/.550 there, striking out less at the higher level, and did all of this at age 20 without a single at-bat above the Appalachian League before 2018.

Kirilloff has exceptional power the other way, with a bat path that emphasizes opposite-field contact, with more than half of his homers in 2018 going out to left. His swing can be a little uphill and lag behind good velocity, but so far, it hasn't had any impact on his performance. His arm has returned to full strength, and he's an above-average defender at a corner, with the arm strength to remain in right, though he's also a 70 or better defender at first and could end up in a Cody Bellinger-like role in which he moves between first and the outfield. He looks like he's really going to hit and have a lot of power, enough to make him an impact player for a long time in the middle of someone's lineup.

i
12. Taylor Trammell, OF, Cincinnati Reds
6-foot-2 | 210 pounds
Top level: High-A | 2018 rank: 41

Trammell is almost a throwback player, the kind of ultra-athletic power/speed guy whose popularity peaked in the late '80s with players such as Eric Davis and Kal Daniels, both of whom started their careers with the Reds as well. Trammell is a big kid, already 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds and probably heading for 220-225 by the time he fills out. His hands are quick, and his swing, which developed a little hitch last spring, is smooth and direct, good for line-drive power. His approach is exceptional for his age and background as a multisport player in high school, as are his instincts on the bases. His arm grades at 40, so he's going to play left field, but he's quick and athletic enough to play all three outfield positions and should be no worse than an above-average defender in left. Even as a left fielder, he projects as a star who should post OBPs in the high-.300s with 25 homers and 30-plus steals a year.

i
13. Bo Bichette, SS, Toronto Blue Jays
6 feet | 200 pounds
Top level: Double-A | 2018 rank: 17

Bichette was the youngest player to spend a full season in the Double-A Eastern League -- his younger teammate, Vlad Jr., rocketed to Triple-A midyear -- and was still an above-average hitter across the board while continuing to play shortstop nearly full-time. Bichette continues to show outstanding hand-eye coordination at the plate, which allows him to overcome some defects in his swing, including a bat wrap and generally busy hands, so his contact rate remains high. He led the league in at-bats but was just 26th in strikeouts, for a seasonal rate (K/PA) of just 17 percent. He's an above-average runner with good instincts, and he tends to run the bases like something large is chasing him.

There's always the chance that his unconventional approach and swing will catch up to him, but his hand-eye is so exceptional that I'd bet on him continuing to hit for average with a lot of doubles and triples. He's a shortstop now, but his footwork is too erratic for the position, and he'd likely be a plus defender at second base. He's going to hit -- probably a lot, enough to make him an above-average regular somewhere -- and he'll be a fan favorite as well for his over-the-top energy and confident style of play.

i
14. Brendan McKay, LHP/1B, Tampa Bay Rays
6-foot-2 | 212 pounds
Top level: High-A | 2018 rank: 28

McKay continued to pitch and hit this past year, and though he was adequate at both roles, it became clear that his arm is too far ahead of his bat for him to truly try to pursue both. McKay could pitch in the majors this year if the Rays permit it, as he has exceptional command of a three-pitch mix that might not include a true plus pitch but probably has three grade-55 offerings. At the plate, his swing works, and his batting eye is very good, but he had trouble making enough quality contact (and had some bad luck on balls in play), and his bat is at least a year behind his arm from a development perspective. He also had two oblique issues last year, and that could be related to his trying to pitch and hit, thus doing something every day that uses those muscles to rotate his torso.

The two-way idea was a good one, but McKay is too good a pitcher right now to let his hitting hold him back. He's at least a midrotation starter, probably a No. 2 because his command will let him pitch above the pure quality of his stuff, and if he isn't hitting, he should be a durable one too.

i
15. Casey Mize, RHP, Detroit Tigers
6-foot-3 | 220 pounds
Top level: High-A | 2018 rank: Ineligible

Mize was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 draft and the consensus top talent, a major-league-ready starter who had the best pitch in the college ranks last year in his splitter but also showed a full arsenal of stuff. Mize works with low-90s velocity and can reach back for 95-96 mph, with the splitter as the out pitch, and he has shown a plus slider/cutter at 87-89 mph and a slower slider in the low 80s. Mize was utterly dominant for Auburn last spring -- he should have won the Golden Spikes Award, but voters saw something shiny in the corner and screwed it up -- with 156 strikeouts in 114⅔ innings, averaging just under one walk (16 total) per start (17).

The Tigers chose to be very cautious with Mize, giving him just five pro appearances, four with High-A Lakeland, before shutting him down to preserve his arm. If he stays healthy, he could be an ace, with his command and control, as well as two plus off-speed weapons. Although the Tigers don't need him now, he could pitch in some role in the majors in 2019 if an opportunity arises.

i
16. Hunter Greene, RHP, Cincinnati Reds
6-foot-4 | 197 pounds
Top level: A-ball | 2018 rank: 22

Greene was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2017 draft, when he was a two-way player who could play elite defense at short but whose pro future clearly would come on the mound. His first full season in pro ball was a mixed bag that tilted toward the positive end of the scale. He struggled in his first month, but he rolled after some minor delivery tweaks, with 71 punchouts and 13 walks allowed in 58⅔ innings in his last 13 starts, including a 2.91 ERA. The Reds worked with his delivery in that time frame until he was shut down with a minor elbow sprain that did not require surgery.

Greene can still throw 100 mph with little effort, but the pitch is too straight for him to live off fastballs alone. He made real progress with his slider this year; it was solid-average to above at 84-86 mph early in the season, and it improved as the year went on. Greene's curveball is a nonfactor, though he continues to use it, and he needs to throw his changeup more and develop it into a legitimate third weapon.

He's a superb athlete who can repeat his delivery and takes instruction well, with No. 1-starter upside if he can stay healthy. He's supposed to be at full strength for spring training, and the goal should be to get him pitching deeper into games, using his changeup and slider more, turning lineups over twice every time, working on locating his fastball more and trying less to throw 105 mph like he did in the Futures Game. His ceiling is as high as that of any pitcher on this list, but he has further to go to get there.

i
17. Kyle Tucker, OF, Houston Astros
6-foot-4 | 190 pounds
Top level: MLB | 2018 rank: 21

Tucker has done nothing but hit everywhere in the minors, but a tough, low-BABIP major league debut of a whopping 64 at-bats seems to have changed the narrative around him. He's an all-fields hitter with an easy left-handed stroke that allows him to produce power from his pull side all the way over to left-center. He's already showing plus power in games, but he has room left for physical projection as well. Tucker is best suited to a corner spot but has worked himself into average defense in center -- not enough to play there on a good team but enough that he could sub in center without much slippage.

Tucker was 21 while playing in the PCL last year and was the Triple-A league's second-youngest regular while finishing third in the circuit in average, fourth in OBP and second in slugging percentage, and he did so without playing his home games in one of the league's many high-altitude launching pads. He's clearly ready for a major league role.

i
18. Ke'Bryan Hayes, 3B, Pittsburgh Pirates
6-foot-1 | 210 pounds
Top level: Double-A | 2018 rank: 61

Hayes, son of longtime big leaguer Charlie, is among the best defensive players at any position in the minors, a likely 80-grade defender at third base with unbelievable hands and instincts at the position who has a strong approach at the plate. Hayes has long been a polished hitter, but he has continued to improve his eye as he has moved up each level, posting the best walk rate of his career in 2018 with his move to Double-A at age 21.

His swing is simple and produces a lot of line-drive contact, and he has shown some pull power. As he matures, that's going to end up as 20-plus-homer power in the majors. He will be known for his defense, leadership and work ethic, the kind of package that makes a player a 15-year major leaguer. If he has a flaw, it's that his tools aren't showy -- even his defense, as great as it is, manifests as making tough plays look routine, and there's no wow factor with his bat or speed. He's going to exceed a lot of expectations given how teams questioned his future power and his body when he fell out of the first 30 picks in 2015.

i
19. Brent Honeywell, RHP, Tampa Bay Rays
6-foot-2 | 180 pounds
Top level: DL | 2018 rank: 15

Honeywell would likely have spent most of 2018 in the Rays' rotation had he not blown out his elbow in February. If that had been the case, the Rays might not have gone to their "opener" strategy, and the entire narrative about whether that's good baseball (pro tip: it is) might not have started. Honeywell should be back at full strength by the middle of this year. He was coming off his best year as a pro when he got hurt, and the hope is that his arsenal -- a 92-95 mph fastball, a plus changeup, a hard slider and the occasional screwball -- returns intact.

He has long been a strike thrower, with 93 walks in 416 pro innings, though his command was behind his control even before the surgery and could be for a while as he returns. He had, and the hope is that he still has, a No. 2 starter ceiling when healthy, which assumes he'll tighten that slider and continue to improve his command over time.

i
20. Michael Kopech, RHP, Chicago White Sox

6-foot-3 | 205 pounds
Top level: MLB | 2018 rank: 11

Kopech really turned the corner last summer, going on the best run of his pro career thanks to some modest adjustments with coach Steve McCatty to keep his direction toward the plate more consistent. After years of wildness, Kopech stopped walking guys cold, with just four walks over 44 innings in his last seven Triple-A starts. That earned him a call-up to the majors, where he looked great until one start when he didn't, and it turned out he'd torn his UCL and needed Tommy John surgery. (As someone who advocated that the White Sox call up him and Eloy Jimenez, I have to point out here that it hurt the team: Kopech will get a year of service time and a major league salary for 2019 without throwing a pitch. It's good for the player, not so much for the Sox.)

When healthy, Kopech seems to have No. 1 starter everything -- stuff, size, athleticism and, as he showed for two months, command. He'll work with 97-100 mph velocity to go with a power slider and mid-80s changeup, both of which are above average to plus. He looks like Noah Syndergaard and tried to model his delivery after Thor's, getting on top of the ball better and staying on line to the plate too. Tommy John surgery recovery isn't an automatic thing, but if Kopech comes back with the same stuff, there's no good reason he can't be Chicago's ace in two years.

i
21. Keston Hiura, 2B, Milwaukee Brewers
5-foot-11 | 190 pounds
Top level: Double-A | 2018 rank: 35

Hiura, the eighth overall pick in 2017, has shown the plus hit ability that made him a top-10 selection despite the fact that he couldn't play the field his entire junior year. He reached Double-A in his first full pro season after hitting .320/.382/.529 in High-A and continued to hit well in the hitter-friendly Arizona Fall League. Hiura has a short, simple, repeatable swing, with some loft at the end for doubles power, though I think his home run totals will max out in the teens.

The question on Hiura remains his defense; he has, at best, a 40-grade arm, and his range at second base is probably fringy if you like him. Hiura didn't play the field his junior year because of an elbow injury that has never required surgery, but his throws are restricted and soft, enough so that if he doesn't play second, he might be suited only for first. His bat will make him a regular, and his position will determine whether he's an everyday guy or a star.

i
22. Kyle Wright, RHP, Atlanta Braves
6-foot-4 | 200 pounds
Top level: MLB | 2018 rank: 26

The No. 5 overall pick in the 2017 draft, Wright became the first player from that class to reach the majors when Atlanta recalled him in September for its playoff push. Wright will work with 92-96 mph velocity as a starter and has shown a plus slider (a hard one with bite up to 86 mph) and an average changeup. However, he hasn't missed quite as many bats in the high minors as I would have expected given his stuff, even considering that he went from Vanderbilt to Double-A in 10 months. He'll mix in a curveball, and he went to it more during his very brief time in the majors because he couldn't land the slider for strikes and barely threw the change.

Wright is built like a workhorse starter and has been durable so far, though there are little delivery questions, such as whether his arm is a tick late relative to his stride leg. He looks pretty close to major-league-ready and is someone who could absorb innings at the back of a rotation, with the ceiling of a No. 2 starter.

i
23. Triston McKenzie, RHP, Cleveland Indians
6-foot-5 | 165 pounds
Top level: Double-A | 2018 rank: 19

McKenzie works with 92-96 mph velocity, big spin on his breaking ball and huge extension out front that makes everything play up. I saw him no-hit Wilmington in 2017 while he was still throwing 88-92 mph because hitters were constantly late on his fastball. His changeup is a clear third pitch. It's an action changeup that he turns over well but that some hitters will pick up out of his hand, though left-handed batters didn't do damage against him last year. It's no worse than No. 2 starter stuff, and you can squint a little and see someone who would sit atop a lot of rotations.

The rub is that McKenzie looks like he might slip through the bars of a storm grate. Longstanding concerns about the durability of someone so slight of build came up when he missed the first two months of 2018 with a forearm strain, which wasn't serious and never required surgery, but questions resurfaced about whether he could hold up as a starter. He has the stuff and some natural elements from his height that you can't replicate. His 2019 season will likely be as much about staying healthy for 25 starts as anything else he needs to do.

i
24. Mitch Keller, RHP, Pittsburgh Pirates
6-foot-2 | 210 pounds
Top level: Triple-A | 2018 rank: 18

Keller has two pitches that would put him among the top starters in the majors, sitting mid-90s and touching 98 mph with his fastball to go with a hammer breaking ball. He also has a good frame that has filled out since his first disastrous summer in pro ball. He's around the plate with more control than command thanks to a delivery that keeps him over the rubber and on line to the plate, though his arm can sometimes be a tick late. The bad is the same old story: Keller lacks a viable changeup or other third pitch, which killed him in Triple-A, as lefties posted a .414 OBP against him. He has used a straight change, but it plays like a BP fastball, and he abandons it in starts in which it doesn't work for him.

He seems like a great candidate for a splitter, though few teams like teaching that pitch due to longstanding concerns that it causes injuries. (I say they all get hurt anyway; let's not pretend we know that the splitter makes it more likely.) Keller is built like a durable frontline starter and has the two weapons to be that; whether he gets there depends on if he or the Pirates can find an average third pitch for him with which he can get left-handed batters out.
Thanks so much for posting this bruv! I really appreciate it!

Petco is one of the top stadiums in the league right?
Beautiful park right off of Gaslump district in SD. Great beer and food as well for a ball park. With all due respect to SD fans, a lot of Dodger fans happily consider it a 2nd home field.

The closer we get to Spring Training, the more teams should offer Harper and Machado short year/big money deals.
3 for 100/4 for 120 type deals.

Beautiful park right off of Gaslump district in SD. Great beer and food as well for a ball park. With all due respect to SD fans, a lot of Dodger fans happily consider it a 2nd home field.

So do Giants fans. Its borderline ridiculous how many of us are there every single Giants Padres game.

I give no damns about the Giants, but AT&T Park is most definitely a thing of beauty.

Back
Top Bottom