23 Yr Old Snapchat CEO Turns Down 3 Billion Offer From FB

SAN FRANCISCO — Facebook has dangled more than $3 billion in cash to woo Snapchat, the popular photo-messaging used by younger audiences, amid growing signs of waning interest among teens in the world's largest social network.

The Los Angeles-based company, founded by 23-year-old Evan Spiegel, recently turned down the offer because it's currently being courted by multiple investors, according to a source familiar with the matter.

The 2-year-old Snapchat has been approached with offers including an investment from China's Tencent Holdings that would value the start-up at $4 billion. Snapchat's mobile app allows people to send text and photos that disappear in what has been hailed as all the rage in a next wave of private social sharing.

"We don't comment on rumors and speculation," said Facebook spokeswoman Denise Horn.

Snapchat could not be reached for comment.

Facebook's bid for Snapchat comes amid lofty valuations in social media companies. Profitless Twitter went public last week and has a market capitalization of nearly $25 billion while Facebook's is well north of $100 billion.

The offer for Snapchat also comes as Facebook has acknowledged that teens are spending less time on the site. Facebook CFO David Ebersman spoke of the issue last month in the company's earnings call. The CFO's admission, along with that its News Feed ads had reached limits, sent shares tumbling from a 15% jump in after-hours trading to erase billions in valuation.

"If Facebook is saying they are having an issue with teens and they need to find an app for teen advertisers, then it's logical to find an app where teens are spending their time," says Forrester analyst Julie Ask.

Facebook purchased Instagram for $1 billion last year in what was seen as a defensive move to grab the photo app popular with teens. Instagram is a small team of developers with fewer than 30 employees; Snapchat is estimated to also have a small group of employees.

Messaging services, such as Snapchat, are growing at a rate beyond expectations, says Forrester's Ask. China's messaging service WeChat has ballooned to 400 million users in less than two years.

"The commercial value, however, is untapped and how these services will be monetized is an unknown," says Ask.

Snapchat has raised about $73 million in funding to date from investors including Lightspeed Venture Partners, Benchmark Capital, Institutional Venture Partners, SV Angel and General Catalyst Partners.

The deal was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

CLIFFS:
-Facebook offers 23 year old Evan Spiegel $3B and he curved.

No brained 3 billie cash money? I'm signing over everything

Dude saw how when twitter went public it was worth >>> 

The article even says Twitter now worth $25 billy.

I've never used SnapChat, but articles like this only make the company more public.  Any publicity is good publicity.  People gonna read this who have never heard of snap chat, and say, ballsy move, and possibly check it out

Some people have higher expectations like mark zuckerberg, he could have cashed out long ago, now he runs a company with a market cap of 100+billion.

Ey I been saying yall gotta make a helmet for bikers that want the closed face one, but make it to where they can smoke. That would be awesome.

Dude saw how when twitter went public it was worth >>> 

The article even says Twitter now worth $25 billy.

I've never used SnapChat, but articles like this only make the company more public.  Any publicity is good publicity.  People gonna read this who have never heard of snap chat, and say, ballsy move, and possibly check it out

Twitter will be one of the platforms that causes this bubble to burst. They have difficulty generating revenue and have a business model that isn't clear. These guys should have took the money and ran. Data mining is why big bucks are willing to be shelled out.

Dude probably isn't even in it for the money.

I would have taken the cash and ran.

Although I wonder how much he would have gotten since Im sure he wasnt a 100% owner. :nerd:

Last edited:
I'm so sick of Facebook.  Good on this dude for turning them down.

And for the record I think they're lying about just teens using it less.  It's probably more like people 35 and under are using it less but they don't want to spook shareholders.

Last edited:
F it, I prolly would have took that 3 billion cash & kept a high ranking job/ board position @ the company. What can't you buy with 3b that you can with 100?

My family gonna be set for life for generations regardless.

You cant spend all that money :lol:

its not like hes broke as hell turning down 3 bil, dude runs a company worth more than 3 bil he's already swimming in money

this isnt a once in a lifetime thing for him, if he is able to grow/maintain his business he will have plenty of higher offers in the future

I'm so sick of Facebook.  Good on this dude for turning them down.

And for the record I think they're lying about just teens using it less.  It's probably more like people 35 and under are using it less but they don't want to spook shareholders.

Nah man...I really think teens are using it less.
If anything 35 and over is where the growth is at right now.

What is data mining?

F it, I prolly would have took that 3 billion cash & kept a high ranking job/ board position @ the company. What can't you buy with 3b that you can with 100?

My family gonna be set for life for generations regardless.

You cant spend all that money :lol:
well if a jet is 1 billy u can only buy 3
if a island is 3 billy u can only buy 1
i rather buy a couple islands with my 100 than my 3
just sayin

Should've took the deal. I don't see snapchat hanging around very long but that's just me.

He turned down FB for 3bil, but the article says hes gotten offers for 4bil from a company in China already. Dude is about to get paid.

He turned down FB for 3bil, but the article says hes gotten offers for 4bil from a company in China already. Dude is about to get paid.
not to mention fb wanted to BUY for 3 bil
china company wanted to INVEST
big difference...............i think

Back
Top Bottom