24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

are you sure?

it should be free and very very detailed.

the only way it will ask you for money is if you have already checked it within the last year.

everyone is entitled to 1 free credit check of all 3 bureaus

He's right. annualcreditreport.com does NOT give you your credit score for free. Only your credit report.

ATTENTION:

Everyone in the USA is entitled to a FREE CREDIT SCORE CHECK! once a year you are able to check all 3! 100% accurate, up to date, and has every detail, every negative on your accounts.

I did it like 8 months ago. VERY VERY good for some of you who have no idea what your score is. Better than paying or trusting any of these website with inaccurate scores.

Federal website, legit and 100% FREE

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AnnualCreditReport.com

hope this helps some of you, will NOT affect your credit score
This is only your credit report, not your score. You're not entitled to your score for free unless you've applied for a car loan or mortgage, although many institutions are including it now with certain services.

So all you did was pay bills on time or open more lines of credit?
I just payed my bills on time, the only line of credit i opened was for a car loan in 2011. I got my free credit report and i bought my scores from credit agencies, so ill have my real score and not that crap from CK and CS. I only have one neg on my credit report and that's a bill from directv, but its not dragging down score but im going to pay them, because i want a clean slate.

I also bank with a credit union and not a bank, i got a personal  loan for a 1000.00 a few yrs back when my score was horrible. I got the loan just to boost my credit so i will have a revolving payment, thats why i like a CU over a bank. When i was young and getting started in life my bank wouldn't give me  a used car loan, and i was with them for 4 yrs. I got with a CU and got approved asap, less than 3 weeks... My credit history is solid and not young that also plays a role in credit scores

Well, what are some good credit unions that a youngin like me should look into. Im tired of chase and their fees. I was thinking about applying for a chase freedom credit card, bit idk yet.

Some folks don't get it YES CASH IS GOOD, but cash isn't going to get you thru on a car/home most the time.

Unless you're buying a used whip and home under 50k idk how that whole cash thing will pan out.
Yes, cash will easily buy a car and you'll save thousands on interest over the life of the car. Not to mention you'll probably end up buying something cheaper since paying with cash hurts a lot more than making payments over an extended period.

You can also get a manually underwritten mortgage too with a decent down payment, steady job history and alternate credit history (i.e. consistent payments on non-debt bills like rent).
Well, what are some good credit unions that a youngin like me should look into. Im tired of chase and their fees. I was thinking about applying for a chase freedom credit card, bit idk yet.
Doesn't that seem a bit contradictory to you? After working directly with Chase for 2 years, I will NEVER voluntarily do business with them. Once something goes wrong, it almost takes an act of God to fix it without pulling your hair out.

Credit Unions are largely local, so look into a couple in your area. Most offer pretty competitive rates on most products, so you really can't go wrong with most of them compared to a large bank. We use a credit union for direct deposits, then keep most of our savings in CapitalOne360 for longer term stuff we don't need to access during the month. If anyone wants a referral, let me know.

Last edited:
I like the commercials where discover card includes your credit score when logging it. I think all credit cards should do that..

In regards to a credit union, I hear navy federal is good

I like the commercials where discover card includes your credit score when logging it. I think all credit cards should do that..

In regards to a credit union, I hear navy federal is good

yup they just started including FICO on your statement which is pretty good

has anyone ever gotten a public record removed from their credit report? I want my tax lien removed from my credit report because I want to apply for a mortgage but don't want to wait until 8+ years for it to erase away. I wrote a page long letter to the all three credit bureaus and the NY State Tax Department but that didn't seem to help.

has anyone ever gotten a public record removed from their credit report? I want my tax lien removed from my credit report because I want to apply for a mortgage but don't want to wait until 8+ years for it to erase away. I wrote a page long letter to the all three credit bureaus and the NY State Tax Department but that didn't seem to help.
If it was a legitimate debt, then it can't legally be removed from your credit report. At best, it will show as resolved.

If it were a IRS (Federal) Lien, you could've it withdrawn from you CR.  But since its a state lien, while possible - its extremely difficult.  

If the lien is satisfied, you still qualify for an FHA loan.

Last edited:

I had a judgment that was improperly filed against me removed from all 3 bureaus.

I went on to each site, found all necessary info to send each bureau, and created a letter to have it removed.  I also sent them in the copy of the order from the judge confirming that the judgment should have never existed in the first place.

I then went to the post office and did a Certified Return Receipt for each one.

I think Equifax was the first to remove it, Experian kicked it back b/c I left off one thing from their checklist of items, and TransUnion Marked it as satisfied
mean.gif
(it should not have been "satisfied", it should have been removed all together as it never existed). I called TransUnion and they corrected the mistake and removed it.  I then resent the docs to Experian and they removed it as well.

Hope this helps.

In my case, it was a tax lien that was satisfied back in 2010. It was actually the IRS I wrote to, not the state. It was only $500 and change I paid back. I wrote to IRS requesting if they can withdraw the lien and showed all the documentation but it didn't help. Is there still something I can do guys?

Is there a specific address to mail the withdrawal form to?
Mail your application to the IRS office assigned your 
account. If the account is not assigned or you are 
uncertain where it is assigned, mail your application to IRS, 
ATTN: Advisory Group Manager, in the area where you live 
or is the taxpayer's principal place of business. Use 
Publication 4235, Advisory Group Addresses, to determine 
the appropriate office. 

I keep hearing differing opinions on this so I figured I would ask. Pulled my credit report and saw that my credit card utilization was a 0 (which is always is being that I pay it off in full every month) and that somehow amounts to a C for that aspect of it, and that ideal credit card utilization is a 1-20% of balance utilized? Is that really the case? Should I just be keeping a 5$ balance on it month by month and just paying off whatever I charge to it? I've been paying it off in full every month since I've had the card.

You'll get differing opinions here too. I pay off full amount every month and have a score above 790. I also have students and auto loans so take it for what it's worth.

Is it really gonna hurt your pockets to keep above a $5 balance on your CC?
Its not, I just wanted to know if I was doing it wrong all these years.
You'll get differing opinions here too. I pay off full amount every month and have a score above 790. I also have students and auto loans so take it for what it's worth.
Yeah there seems to be no real answer to this question from what I've seen.

Last edited:

I keep hearing differing opinions on this so I figured I would ask. Pulled my credit report and saw that my credit card utilization was a 0 (which is always is being that I pay it off in full every month) and that somehow amounts to a C for that aspect of it, and that ideal credit card utilization is a 1-20% of balance utilized? Is that really the case? Should I just be keeping a 5$ balance on it month by month and just paying off whatever I charge to it? I've been paying it off in full every month since I've had the card.
Before I had student loans or a mortgage, i always paid mine off each month and still got over a 700 credit score. I still pay it off in full each month several days before the due date and there is still a balance reported. It could just be the way your card issuer reports it?

Before I had student loans or a mortgage, i always paid mine off each month and still got over a 700 credit score. I still pay it off in full each month several days before the due date and there is still a balance reported. It could just be the way your card issuer reports it?

I would stay away from store cards like the plague! Those things are nothing but trouble. Used to have an Old Navy card and had nothing but problems too. IMO, with all the man-in-the-middle store security breaches, I would close any store cards I had, but that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom