24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

I'm 20... applied for my credit card today with bofa. I got half secured with cash rewards and a 500 dollar limit. Also no interest for 1 year

I plan on only using my CC for gas for now.. any advice?

Why would you use a cc at a gas station? You pay more versus if you would pay with cash. Cash>>at a gas station. Just use it for school expenses and groceries and pay it off.

Gotcha. Every gas station I go to charges 8-10cents more than the cash price.

I'm 20... applied for my credit card today with bofa. I got half secured with cash rewards and a 500 dollar limit. Also no interest for 1 year

I plan on only using my CC for gas for now.. any advice?

Don't max out the card or even use half of the credit limit

So i was reading through a few pages back, and people advised other NTers not to close their old CC accounts.  I have 2 CCs from BoA for about 8 years, both have a 0 balance and have been 0 for almost a year now.  I wanna get a better CC with rewards now that i'm more mature about my spending.

I wanna close my BoA cc accounts, and i don't want 3 cards.  Whats the best way to go about doing this w/o hurting myself?

So i was reading through a few pages back, and people advised other NTers not to close their old CC accounts.  I have 2 CCs from BoA for about 8 years, both have a 0 balance and have been 0 for almost a year now.  I wanna get a better CC with rewards now that i'm more mature about my spending.

I wanna close my BoA cc accounts, and i don't want 3 cards.  Whats the best way to go about doing this w/o hurting myself?
Dude do not close old cards, let them be 0. Just get yourself another credit card.

It works like this ... Say those 2 cards combined have a limit of 10k. The credit sees you as being worth 10k. If you close 1 now the bank sees you being worth 5k.. Amount of credit cards don't matter, you can have 100 of them that does not make your credit score worse. As long as your responsible you'll be good, just dont close old cards because that limit that you have is your credit worthiness.. aka what the banks see you being responsible with and what they are comfortable in giving you, closing cards is only take a step back in the process

Last edited:

Dude do not close old cards, let them be 0. Just get yourself another credit card.

It works like this ... Say those 2 cards combined have a limit of 10k. The credit sees you as being worth 10k. If you close 1 now the bank sees you being worth 5k.. Amount of credit cards don't matter, you can have 100 of them that does not make your credit score worse. As long as your responsible you'll be good, just dont close old cards because that limit that you have is your credit worthiness 

not only that but having a long credit history will help you out immensely when applying for loans and such.

so def keep them at 0 and let it keep reporting on your credit report.

not only that but having a long credit history will help you out immensely when applying for loans and such.

so def keep them at 0 and let it keep reporting on your credit report.
Right credit age has an effect on your credit score. Keep the old cards.

I pay an annual fee and only have a $300 limit thus making mine almost useless (do get cash back but rarely use it), should I cancel then get another one or get another one while I still have this one give me a better chance of being accepted on a new card with better terms?

Last edited:
I pay an annual fee and only have a $300 limit thus making mine almost useless (do get cash back but rarely use it), should I cancel then get another one or get another one while I still have this one give me a better chance of being accepted on a new card with better terms?
have you ever asked for a limit increase?

Yea, it was $250 at first. It's First Premier through CapitalOne, they aren't going to raise it too much higher. It's like a first credit card, was the only one that accepted me at the time

Yea, it was $250 at first. It's First Premier through CapitalOne, they aren't going to raise it too much higher. It's like a first credit card, was the only one that accepted me at the time

How long have you had it? Don't close it

How many credit cards do you all have?
I'm thinking about getting another one for groceries or strictly gas.

How do I get the joint with the $1000 limit?
My credit score is like 702 (if that matters)

How many credit cards do you all have?
I'm thinking about getting another one for groceries or strictly gas.

How do I get the joint with the $1000 limit?
My credit score is like 702 (if that matters)

I have two, closed a bunch out before that i shouldn't have :smh:

Living in the metro DC area, is buying a home even worth it anymore?
Man I wonder the same thing out here I just dont see the point. I just cant see myself with a 30yr mortgage, unless I get into real estate (rental properties). 

why wouldnt it be? its the biggest asset you can acquire

buy a house w equity - take cash out - use cash to pay for mortgage for the next 3-4 years and repeat

= youll never pay it off but youll have quality of life

:lol:

no idea what you make but its seems (operative word) doable...and of course certain areas are cheaper than others...
[h1]The Salary Needed To Buy A Home In The D.C. Area[/h1]
February 18, 2014 11:58 AM

The average salary required to own a median-priced home in the Washington metropolitan area is nearly $63,000, according to a study conducted by mortgage research company HSH.

The nation’s capital trails only five of the country’s 25 largest metropolitan areas in salary requirements needed to cover principal and interest payments on average-priced homes. The study does not factor in the cost of taxes, insurance and other expenses associated with home ownership.

According to the study, the figure boomed by more than $14,000 between the first and third quarters of 2013 before declining by $5,535 to close the year.

HSH says the median cost of a home in the Washington area is $368,000 and the average monthly mortgage payment is $1,465. The home values are somewhat lower than estimates given by other companies in similar studies.

Salaries Required To Own A Home (low to high)

1. Cleveland: $19,435.17
2. Cincinnati: $22,226.95
3. St. Louis: $22,397.54
4. Atlanta: $24,390.94
5. Tampa: $24,650.88
6. Orlando: $28,298.47
7. San Antonio: $29,305.47
8. Dallas: $29,751.24
9. Houston: $31,298.99
10. Chicago: $32,388.90
11. Phoenix: $32,811.94
12. Minneapolis: $33,800.09
13. Philadelphia: $36,836.47
14. Baltimore: $41,155.40
15. Sacramento: $42,832.20
16. Miami: $43,918.66
17. Portland, Ore.: $45,872.78
18. Denver: $48,122.72
19. Seattle: $59,129.86
20. Washington, D.C.: $62,809.63
21. Boston: $63,673.13
22. New  York City: $66,167.27
23. Los Angeles: $72,126.90
24. San Diego: $81,570.40

25. San Francisco: $115,510.06

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/02/18/the-salary-needed-to-buy-a-home-in-the-d-c-area/

why wouldnt it be? its the biggest asset you can acquire

buy a house w equity - take cash out - use cash to pay for mortgage for the next 3-4 years and repeat

= youll never pay it off but youll have quality of life

laugh.gif
In my mind if its not paid off i dont truly own it, but I am also only 21 and don't get the whole mortgage thing.

Back
Top Bottom