24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Discover is saying to sign up for the new quarter category. Will this override the last month of the current quarter category? Im still making that 5% from eating out

I've never seen an 800 credit score on a buyer under the age of 40.

In my experience 800 comes with depth and huge Credit Highs
I hit 800 about the time I turned 30. Would have probably hit it sooner if I wasn't actively closing accounts I wasn't using and hadn't paid off my student loan early too.

Assets? That won't help your credit score. You may be confusing assets with having a loan out for the assets. Like a mortgage or something
Is a home an asset? Because owning one does increase your cs
No, OWNING a home doesn't do anything for your credit score. It's the loan you take out on the home that affects your score.

That's the probably with a credit score. It only calculates your interaction with debt. It doesn't factor in any built up wealth you have or overall responsibility of paying your non-debt bills on time each month.

Now that my favorite card of all time has been crippled (5x TY points for restaurants, entertainment [event tickets $$$], Amazon), I'm looking into the Citi Prestige. Even though it has a $450 annual fee, it can be brought down to essentially $100/yr with awesome perks. Apparently if you go into a Citi branch, you can sign up for $350/yr and the card comes with a $250/yr credit on air travel. And if I redeem my TY points for a flight on AA, it essentially makes it 1.6 cents per point instead of the 1:1 I've been redeeming it for. It's also a Mastercard which I somehow don't have in my lineup of ~10 CCs.

Also gonna have to pick up the Amazon card for the 5% back. It's gonna be a minute before I see the 800 clubs again with all of my recent appliactions :lol:

So years ago I had medical bills that were pending and therefore got sent to collections. I was a student with zero money so I made a few payments of 30 dollars here and there. Also being an international student I had no clue that a credit report gave you all this vital information about collections.

I have a DHS work authorization SS number so a lot of online places can't even read it so I can never properly get my free credit report.

Fast forward to last week, I signed up for quizzle and credit karma and saw which company's I had debts with. I paid this off at once.

How long does it show up on my report? I've been denied to CC applications because of collections. Anyone ever been on this boat before?

Blue Cash is in my top 3 most used. Amex customer service is top notch and benefits are great. They have Amex Offers which gives you $xx off $xx for certain stores every once in a while.

These are the offers I've signed up for and still need to use, there's a bunch available (a lot are junk, but you'll get the occasional gem like the Staples and 10% Chevron below):

View media item 2060111

Now for these rotating offers, are they only for the blue cash back or if I get their charge card will it work as well? I'm curious because I've been debating on getting the charge card from them. I travel a decent amount for work and I will make use of all the perks and the yearly fee will pay for itself really

Last edited:
Now for these rotating offers, are they only for the blue cash back or if I get their charge card will it work as well? I'm curious because I've been debating on getting the charge card from them. I travel a decent amount for work and I will make use of all the perks and the yearly fee will pay for itself really

Charge cards have these offers too

Charge cards have these offers too

Good to know. It reminds me of my BoA cashback card which I like but I need better travel perks. Thanks!

So years ago I had medical bills that were pending and therefore got sent to collections. I was a student with zero money so I made a few payments of 30 dollars here and there. Also being an international student I had no clue that a credit report gave you all this vital information about collections.

I have a DHS work authorization SS number so a lot of online places can't even read it so I can never properly get my free credit report.

Fast forward to last week, I signed up for quizzle and credit karma and saw which company's I had debts with. I paid this off at once.

How long does it show up on my report? I've been denied to CC applications because of collections. Anyone ever been on this boat before?
Accounts show up on your credit report for 7 years whether good or bad. But since you've paid them off, your score should go up.

It actually won't be removed from your report unless you negotiate a pay for delete or the creditor is just feeling generous and removes it for you. A paid collection will still bring your score down around 10-30 points or more depending on how recent they are. It's better to negotiate a pay for delete before you pay the collection but you still may be able to call the creditor and ask them if they will delete it from your report because you paid in full. Once it's removed completely you'll see a big score jump

I have a question. If my student loan is due the 12th, (today) and I paid the 10th with my debit card, but it doesn't clear in time is that considered late? My account says my payment due today is past due and next month it will be doubled? Is this my fault and will it affect my credit as a late payment?

No it won't because you can always request from your bank the transaction history of when you sent the money. To avoid this problem you should either pay earlier or setup an ACH debit.

Who is the lender? I've had loans with AES, ECSI, and MyFed, and they all just used the submitted payment date, not the dates funds are withdrawn from my account.

Back
Top Bottom