24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

I used to obsess about having a 800+ score. My score fluctuates from 795-805 for whatever reasons. 750 gets you the lowest rates at the credit union. Now I only obsess about staying above that. It's a lot less stressful.

I used to obsess about having a 800+ score. My score fluctuates from 795-805 for whatever reasons. 750 gets you the lowest rates at the credit union. Now I only obsess about staying above that. It's a lot less stressful.

+1

As along as I get the lowest interest rates I really don't care about my credit score.

Last edited:
when I started to build credit before I ever got a credit card or even needed one. I copped a Khols credit card. So whenever I need a new work shirt or some Levi's I would buy it with that and just pay it off at the end of the month. I'd try to atleast buy something small everything month and pay it off to build credit. Best way I could think of when I was 18. Defenitly worked and I always needed some new clothes .

Got hit with the we need to review your application for chase freedom, which from what I understand is basically a denial. My second choice was a Discover IT, but I'm not sure how long I should wait to apply for it.

Filed a direct dispute through CK, and it came back in my favor.
pimp.gif
Anyone have experience with this? Will it just be deleted from my credit report next month? Or is follow up necessary?

Last edited:

Filed a direct dispute through CK, and it came back in my favor.
pimp.gif
Anyone have experience with this? Will it just be deleted from my credit report next month? Or is follow up necessary?
It'll be deleted, no follow up.

However, only from Transunion. you'll have to go through a similar process and get it deleted from Experian

Got hit with the we need to review your application for chase freedom, which from what I understand is basically a denial. My second choice was a Discover IT, but I'm not sure how long I should wait to apply for it.
It doesn't mean that at all. Call the reconsideration line.

http://travelsort.com/blog/credit-card-denied-call-these-reconsideration-phone-numbers
Wow I called in to Chase, and just had to verify some info, thanks I appreciate the help.

So I've been making my payments the minute its posted onto my account. Once thats paid does my limit like reset back to what it was and I'm able to shop regular again? 

A month ago I started reading up on credit and finances. I went on credit karma and saw my score was 679. I applied for the Quicksilver as my first credit card. I got approved with a $1000 credit line. Last week, I applied for the discover it card. I was truthful on my application and I don't make an exorbitant amount of money. They approved me with a $6500 credit line. I was shocked. Is this normal? I got my card today and my actual fico score is 730. The only thing the credit bureaus are reporting on are my student loans.

A month ago I started reading up on credit and finances. I went on credit karma and saw my score was 679. I applied for the Quicksilver as my first credit card. I got approved with a $1000 credit line. Last week, I applied for the discover it card. I was truthful on my application and I don't make an exorbitant amount of money. They approved me with a $6500 credit line. I was shocked. Is this normal? I got my card today and my actual fico score is 730. The only thing the credit bureaus are reporting on are my student loans.

Yeah u have an above average score

Belk cut my credit line in half last week. I've had a $0 balance since June 2015. I got the account in March 2015. I'm closing it tomorrow. I'll lose 5 or so points I'm sure but I don't care. The interest rate is 20% and my other credits limits are so high that it won't negatively effect me. To hell with Synchrony Bank.

Belk cut my credit line in half last week. I've had a $0 balance since June 2015. I got the account in March 2015. I'm closing it tomorrow. I'll lose 5 or so points I'm sure but I don't care. The interest rate is 20% and my other credits limits are so high that it won't negatively effect me. To hell with Synchrony Bank.
dont close it..keep it open at zero balance..it affects ur utilization overall..closing it does not help it..never use it again but keep it open

Last edited:
dont close it..keep it open at zero balance..it affects ur utilization overall..closing it does not help it..never use it again but keep it open

It won't. I have $30K in available credit with $0 balances across the board. $1800 credit line on a Belk card that I should have never opened anyway won't be missed.

Do card companies usually notify you before they close an account? Started a 2nd card a few months ago & just checked on my savings account to find that the credit account had been deleted. Was put off by that banks piss poor customer service so I'm not tripping too much but kinda mad I took a hard hit a couple months ago basically for nothing.

Last edited:
People don't know any better, plus they are easy to get and they give out cli's with ease. :lol: My first card was JCP card and it's my oldest. It has like a 12K limit and i haven't used it in years. I surprised they haven't closed my account or lowered the limit because companies like that are good for closing accts, for non-use.

Also got a Walmart card years ago, :x just because they were the only ones offering free fico scores, before all these other companies started doing it. Never used the card one time.

Do card companies usually notify you before they close an account? Started a 2nd card a few months ago & just checked on my savings account to find that the credit account had been deleted. Was put off by that banks piss poor customer service so I'm not tripping too much but kinda mad I took a hard hit a couple months ago basically for nothing.

Nope they just close it. Didn't use my Kays card for almost 3 years , one day it popped up closed on CK.

if you go on a site and check for pre-qualified offers and there are none - should you even apply for a card or is that an automatic rejection?

Back
Top Bottom