24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

REPPED thank you SIR any places where I can check my credit score for free and not lower my credit score by checking it

Discover is offering free Fico credit scores to anybody you don't even have to be a cardholder. Credit karma you can get a free credit score but it won't be your Fico score. Checking your credit score won't lower your score at all. Only when you apply for new credit (get an inquiry on your credit report)

I'm sorry lol but what's so good about this new chase sapphire joint? I'll go back a couple pages and catch up, but from the past couple posts it seems like this is the Black Card of Chase :lol:

I still have a bummy Chase Slate with a 2k limit. Could I upgrade to a sapphire reserve and still get the travel bonus and everything? I wanna be cool like y'all :lol:

And what's this 5/24 rule you guys speak of? :nerd:

If you product change you won't get the sign up bonus. Basically the sapphire reserve you can get 100,000 ultimate rewards points with the sign up bonus, they give a $300 airline credit each year (essentially making the $450 annual fee=$150), 3x points on travel and dining, and each ultimate rewards point will be worth 1.5 points when you redeem through ultimate rewards portal, so if you redeem your signup bonus alone through the portal, it will be like getting $1500 worth of flights/hotels/entertainment.

Chase doesn't approve anybody if you've gotten 5 new credit card accounts in the last 24 months (5/24) with the exception of co-branded cards. So if you've gotten 5 or more new credit cards in the last 2 years it's an instant denial.

REPPED!

How many credit cards is TOO MUCH?
That travel incentive looking real sexy right now

Once I get my Reserve, I will have currently in my wallet the Reserve, Sapphire Premiere, and my AMEX Platinum, which is about $1000 worth of annual fees 
laugh.gif
. Would my best plan of action is to downgrade the Premiere to Freedom Unlimited, and cancel the AMEX Plat? I already tried waving the annual fee this year when I told them I just got the Sapphire, but all they would give me was 25,000 points. I really don't want to cancel my Plat (been with them for 5 years and Amex 7), but it's looking like i might not have a choice now. 
mean.gif
 Any suggestions?

REPPED!

How many credit cards is TOO MUCH?
That travel incentive looking real sexy right now

3 is good, beyond 5 can be iffy especially if they have outstanding balances on them.

Ehhh....you can have 50 and be alright. You just have to be diligent with keeping track of them all and have cash to pay everything you charge. Anyone who carries a balance shouldn't be participating in the sign-up bonus/churning game in the first place though.

Once I get my Reserve, I will have currently in my wallet the Reserve, Sapphire Premiere, and my AMEX Platinum, which is about $1000 worth of annual fees :lol: . Would my best plan of action is to downgrade the Premiere to Freedom Unlimited, and cancel the AMEX Plat? I already tried waving the annual fee this year when I told them I just got the Sapphire, but all they would give me was 25,000 points. I really don't want to cancel my Plat (been with them for 5 years and Amex 7), but it's looking like i might not have a choice now. :smh:  Any suggestions?

Your best plan of action is to give me your Amex Plat. I'd like to check out some Centurion lounges.

Last edited:
I don't like to put a number on how many is too many. Worst case scenario, you should be breaking even with the AF. if not, dead it. I cancelled my at&t access more card and citi aa platinum card because of that today.

Last edited:
Once I get my Reserve, I will have currently in my wallet the Reserve, Sapphire Premiere, and my AMEX Platinum, which is about $1000 worth of annual fees :lol: . Would my best plan of action is to downgrade the Premiere to Freedom Unlimited, and cancel the AMEX Plat? I already tried waving the annual fee this year when I told them I just got the Sapphire, but all they would give me was 25,000 points. I really don't want to cancel my Plat (been with them for 5 years and Amex 7), but it's looking like i might not have a choice now. :smh:  Any suggestions?

Downgrade your platinum card to the green card. I wouldn't downgrade to the PRG because you wouldn't be able to get the sign up bonus EVER. it usually goes up to 50-60K. Some people have gotten 75K offers. I'm not sure if the green card ever offers a sign up bonus. 25K to keep the card is a great deal though. I'd do it and then downgrade.

I'd downgrade the CSP to whatever freedom card you prefer. The freedom unlimited is an even better card when you partner it with the CSR, you'd earn 2.25 per dollar when you use chase's travel portal because of the 50% bonus for having the CSR.

Last edited:

Downgrade your platinum card to the green card. I wouldn't downgrade to the PRG because you wouldn't be able to get the sign up bonus EVER. it usually goes up to 50-60K. Some people have gotten 75K offers. I'm not sure if the green card ever offers a sign up bonus. 25K to keep the card is a great deal though. I'd do it and then downgrade.

I'd downgrade the CSP to whatever freedom card you prefer. The freedom unlimited is an even better card when you partner it with the CSR, you'd earn 2.25 per dollar when you use chase's travel portal because of the 50% bonus for having the CSR.

Repped. I've tried so many times to get my Plat annual fee waived but these fools at AMEX don't play :lol:. Bout to apply that phone pressure once I get my Reserve....AMEX gotta come HARD as far as I'm concerned or they're gonna be losing a lot of customers including myself.

Repped. I've tried so many times to get my Plat annual fee waived but these fools at AMEX don't play :lol:. Bout to apply that phone pressure once I get my Reserve....AMEX gotta come HARD as far as I'm concerned or they're gonna be losing a lot of customers including myself.

I've never read about anyone getting the fee waived unless you're in the military. You should be able to get $500 worth of travel out of those 25K points though.

I hope you're using your airline credit. To lower the fee.

Looks like a majority of the Reserve cards are being expedited. If you were approved on Monday or earlier, you will likely get it today.

Never got an email from discover but logged in the app and saw my 2nd CLI request got my limit bumped from 3k to 7k :pimp:

Applied for the CSR. Got the pending 7-10 days message. Called recon and was told they don't have an approved/denied decision and that I have to wait 30 days for a letter.

This is the first time I haven't been instantly approved. My heart hurts [emoji]128148[/emoji]

Applied for the CSR. Got the pending 7-10 days message. Called recon and was told they don't have an approved/denied decision and that I have to wait 30 days for a letter.

This is the first time I haven't been instantly approved. My heart hurts [emoji]128148[/emoji]
Go in branch and see if you are pre-approved.  I was denied online (7-10 days means denial). Went in branch and was pre-approved, but still got denied. (I am 7/24).  Call recon today and pushed through the branch application. 

Once I get my Reserve, I will have currently in my wallet the Reserve, Sapphire Premiere, and my AMEX Platinum, which is about $1000 worth of annual fees 
laugh.gif
. Would my best plan of action is to downgrade the Premiere to Freedom Unlimited, and cancel the AMEX Plat? I already tried waving the annual fee this year when I told them I just got the Sapphire, but all they would give me was 25,000 points. I really don't want to cancel my Plat (been with them for 5 years and Amex 7), but it's looking like i might not have a choice now. 
mean.gif
 Any suggestions?
Try and become an authorized user from someone else and pay them $175. I only use platinum for FHR. I'll only get my own card once I can get the 100k bonus.  Until then I'll be a AU on my parents card and just pay them when I use FHR.  

so I got an offer from AMEX for their Everyday Card the other day.

Has there been a lot of discussion on this card in thread?

I have two credit cards with Capital One. Thinking about adding one more.

Interested to see what others have to say about the everyday card... are they generous with the first amount of credit? frequent credit increases? No fees seems cool.

any negatives?

so I got an offer from AMEX for their Everyday Card the other day.

Has there been a lot of discussion on this card in thread?

I have two credit cards with Capital One. Thinking about adding one more.

Interested to see what others have to say about the everyday card... are they generous with the first amount of credit? frequent credit increases? No fees seems cool.

any negatives?
Amex Everyday PREFERRED is the one you want.  3x pts on supermarkets, 2x on gas stations.  If you use it more than 30 times in a month you get a 50% bonus, so it is effectively 4.5x on supermarkets, 3x on gas and 1.5x on everything else.  I use this card for all purchases that are not travel and dining. 

Just make sure to get the 25k-30k bonus when you apply.  Only negative is the annual fee ($95) is not waived the first year.

But yes, this is one of the best cards out there.  I'll use it in conjunction with the Chase Sapphire Reserve for all purchases.

Go in branch and see if you are pre-approved.  I was denied online (7-10 days means denial). Went in branch and was pre-approved, but still got denied. (I am 7/24).  Call recon today and pushed through the branch application. 

Wait, so did you get approved in branch despite being at 7/24?

Wait, so did you get approved in branch despite being at 7/24?

I was pre-approved in branch, which seems to bypass 5/24. He had to call in branch and I was denied. This morning I called recon and they pushed it through. So see if you are pre-approved at a branch.

I was pre-approved in branch, which seems to bypass 5/24. He had to call in branch and I was denied. This morning I called recon and they pushed it through. So see if you are pre-approved at a branch.

Damn if I had a branch near me I would. I didn't know you could bypass 5/24 at all. Repped for the info

Damn if I had a branch near me I would. I didn't know you could bypass 5/24 at all. Repped for the info

Yea I'm seeing the same on Reddit. Folks at 5+/24 with a pre-approval in-branch are getting approved.

About my app, I'm gonna wait and see. People seem to think that those with the 7-10 days pending, then later 30 days for letter of decision have a good chance still.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom