24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

I've had my CC for about 5 months now

Can my parents put me under their credit card as well so i can match their credit score after a few months?

any negatives to this?

I'm new to this as you can see, and I've seen people talk about this, but not anyone who hasn't been approved to use their own

Just got a Discover IT 0% APR for 14 months. First CC. Already about $1200 charged 
eek.gif

Gonna try and pay this off pretty quick though.

Son what? What about jobs? Don't they check your credit Also?

Just regular bill paying keeps you in the 5-600 right? How is that even possible?

Oh yeah the school loans thing

He doesn't pay back his school loans. That's why it's so low.

d
Just checked my credit.

Apparently I got a parking ticket w/ my school (never saw the ticket). School never billed me, like they usually do. Never sent me a notice in the mail to my updated address. They let me graduate, which you can't do if you owe a balance. Collections company never bothered to reach out and now it shows a delinquent account on my credit report. Schools parking services says its too late to dispute the ticket b/c its been over a year. Over $59.00 :smh:.

Anyone have any advice on how to get this off of my credit report?

does anybody know how bad this affects your credit score?

My score is 725. What's to prevent me from loading up a 0% APR card, paying it off before the 0% rate ends, closing that account, and then opening up another 0% APR card?

My score is 725. What's to prevent me from loading up a 0% APR card, paying it off before the 0% rate ends, closing that account, and then opening up another 0% APR card?
Nothing. Many play the game like that. Thats smart if you carry a balance or trying to pay off a big purchase. Just pick the right card, and keep your inquiries low. I think chase freedom offer introductory 0 percent APR and has a nice rotating cash back program. Have to check their current promotions. Discover It might have the same offer. Great cash back program. 

Chase Slate is a great card for balance transfers. Geared towards it. No benefits other than that. 

Are there any negative effects of getting approved for a CC better never activating it?

Last edited:

closing a card after a year... not good

0 apr is nice with Discover but yea i wouldnt go about doing that

usually a lot of card companies will throw you a few year of 0% apr if you apply for a new card with them. i get 50 offers a week from chase, vias, cap one and all these offering me cards and 0 apr and bonuses but im done getting cards. sticking with the ones i have for awhile now and see my score move up

Just turned 21, and I've never had a credit card. What's the best for someone who wants to start building credit? I've read a secured card is a good way to start, but how does it actually work? I know I'm supposed to put a certain amount of money in. What's the best credit card for this?

Just turned 21, and I've never had a credit card. What's the best for someone who wants to start building credit? I've read a secured card is a good way to start, but how does it actually work? I know I'm supposed to put a certain amount of money in. What's the best credit card for this?

Your best bet would probably be getting the capital one secured card. You apply online, send them a deposit of how much money you want on the card. They'll send you a card with your deposit on it which will be your credit limit.

Just use the card for small purchases and pay off the balance at the end of the month. Do it for about 8-12 months and you should start seeing your credit score go up.

I called my chase CC and got my limit rasied to $12,000 from $8,100. I also got hit for a hard inquiry on my credit report for it. Hopefully it will rasie my credit score. My FICO score is current 796. I'm trying to get above 800.

Just got approved for chase sapphire preferred with a limit of 11k. It's only my 2nd real CC and I have a short history so I'm kinda surprised. Time to spend it on hooker and blow :smokin

Y'all ****** got me tempted for that Chase sapphire

I just got a new card 3 months ago. I have 2 right now.

never bothered to check my FICO score before and got an email from Barclayscard (opened it through Apple 
sick.gif
) saying it was updated and I could view as a benefit...was pleasantly surprised...797

Last edited:
Chase Sapphire

2x Points on Restaurants & any travel (From plane tickets to paying for street parking :smokin )

40,000 point sign up bouns

Plus you can move your points to twenty + travel partners.

I know this has probably been answered already, but my credit is absolutely horrid, where can I start to rebuild it? Any company provide something for people in my situation? Even if my credit limit is low don't matter, I got cash and a steady Job, just some bad luck fraud type stuff in the past

Back
Top Bottom