24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

You should wait 30 days no matter what limit you're at. You'll likely be denied if you request again under 30 days.

You won't be denied if you put $700K as your income limit thooo

But, for real, my last increase was Oct 6. I'll be good to go on Nov 6.

To everyone with a Discover IT card, thanks for the heads up on their generosity with CLI.

I'll be applying for one next March when my 0% interest promotion runs out with AMEX.

Whats another card good for zero intrest balance transfers that isnt hard to get? I got my mom the discover it and want to transfer the balance to another card when that zero intrest promo runs out

You should wait 30 days no matter what limit you're at. You'll likely be denied if you request again under 30 days.
You won't be denied if you put $700K as your income limit thooo

But, for real, my last increase was Oct 6. I'll be good to go on Nov 6.
I did did this and they still rejected my CLI request.

Cap One 
mean.gif

FYI: You won't get the 100k bonus if you upgrade from CSP to CSR. You have to apply for a new card.

Last edited:
If I were to open the Reserve and transfer whatever owe from CSP and/or Freedom, would that count in the $4000 spending?

So, I am TREMENDOUSLY upside down on my 2015 Kia Optim Hybrid Ex (with every option, sticker just around 37). I also have 32k miles on it. I went to the dealership to talk trade in options and they pulled my credit report from 2 of the bureaus and noticed that while my credit union gave me a better rate, they're not even reporting. Put that model and # of miles into KBB and I think you get like $14,000 or $15,000 current vaue of the car while I owe almost double that paying $470 a month. They bought up that I should just voluntary surrender it. They made it sound much better than what I am reading about it now, still a repo, but at most it'd just **** up probably 1 of my bureaus. What do yall think? I mean I goofed big time here, I also took out the loan over 7 yrs to get my payments there no many down (and gave them my 06 Grand Prix).

I joked about having gap insurance and "something" happening to the car and Meth didn't like that, so seems like my only options to pay Mercedes/BMW note for a Kia, which admittedly are extremely nice, feature filled, and reliable cars, their reputation just has to catch up, or just take that credit hit and get something that'll work better for me. I need an SUV. I saved up cash to get a cash SUV, used. Can free up that almost 5 bills a month.

I am also a Government worker with a secret security clearance, you can have a few credit bumps and things here and there but too many affect that status so I'm weighing that as well.

Also should have only used Tindr instead of POF but I don't have a time machine so that doesn't help. Things changed in life and now I need more room. Also, it was a ****** buy anyways since I paid such a high premium for the hybrid technology, basically double the regular GDI and LX trim levels, and still only get 30mpg which I could have gotten from the regular ones and paid under 20

Whats another card good for zero intrest balance transfers that isnt hard to get? I got my mom the discover it and want to transfer the balance to another card when that zero intrest promo runs out
I'm looking at city preferred right now. 18 months, 0 interest.

Sometimes Discover has $0 fee 4.99% interest for 12mo on balance transfers. Check your BT offers.

IMO their 3% fee + 0% interest is the better option. If your interest is higher than the fee or close to it just do the 0% offer.

So, I am TREMENDOUSLY upside down on my 2015 Kia Optim Hybrid Ex (with every option, sticker just around 37). I also have 32k miles on it. I went to the dealership to talk trade in options and they pulled my credit report from 2 of the bureaus and noticed that while my credit union gave me a better rate, they're not even reporting. Put that model and # of miles into KBB and I think you get like $14,000 or $15,000 current vaue of the car while I owe almost double that paying $470 a month. They bought up that I should just voluntary surrender it. They made it sound much better than what I am reading about it now, still a repo, but at most it'd just **** up probably 1 of my bureaus. What do yall think? I mean I goofed big time here, I also took out the loan over 7 yrs to get my payments there no many down (and gave them my 06 Grand Prix).

I joked about having gap insurance and "something" happening to the car and Meth didn't like that, so seems like my only options to pay Mercedes/BMW note for a Kia, which admittedly are extremely nice, feature filled, and reliable cars, their reputation just has to catch up, or just take that credit hit and get something that'll work better for me. I need an SUV. I saved up cash to get a cash SUV, used. Can free up that almost 5 bills a month.

I am also a Government worker with a secret security clearance, you can have a few credit bumps and things here and there but too many affect that status so I'm weighing that as well.
You better really think this through. Thats all I can say.

Don't know if you plan on going higher than a Secret or when you last reinvestigation was, but think this through.

You already know what not to do.

Last edited:

7 years and $470 a month?

I remember when you bought the car, what the hell was the price on the vehicle? My god

Bank America MasterCard has a 21 month 0% apr. 3% fee for balance transfers. I get offers for it like every other week in the mail

Back
Top Bottom