24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

I kinda like the perks on the amex gold preferred more than the chase sapphire card. Amex gives you the 2x points on gas and groceries :pimp:

I kinda like the perks on the amex gold preferred more than the chase sapphire card. Amex gives you the 2x points on gas and groceries
pimp.gif
Doesn't even the basic BOA credit card give you better return on those? Not positive, but I think you can find comparable rewards without the fee. 

Honestly, I went with the chase because dining and entertainment is where i spend 95% of my money. I'm lucky enough to have a gas card through my dad's work and groceries are taken care of by my parents as well 
ohwell.gif

I think gas and groceries are big rewards perks on lot's of cards though, I won't pretend like I know which has the best

I would rather have 3% back on gas then the three percent back I get for groceries that I dont even buy

Doesn't even the basic BOA credit card give you better return on those? Not positive, but I think you can find comparable rewards without the fee. 

Honestly, I went with the chase because dining and entertainment is where i spend 95% of my money. I'm lucky enough to have a gas card through my dad's work and groceries are taken care of by my parents as well :\  

I think gas and groceries are big rewards perks on lot's of cards though, I won't pretend like I know which has the best

Chase points transfer partners > BofA reward program.

Just used my Alaska Visa for little mini trip around the world. (Trip cost 60,000 points)

2qcovbl.png

If i would have paid cash :x

287m7au.png

Last edited:
I kinda like the perks on the amex gold preferred more than the chase sapphire card. Amex gives you the 2x points on gas and groceries :pimp:

For the blue cash preferred its 6% back on groceries (6K cap), 3% on gas and dept store , 1% on everything else only $75 annual fee . I would never hit the grocery cap , thats the only downfall i guess if your spending 100K on groceries lol.

For the blue cash preferred its 6% back on groceries (6K cap), 3% on gas and dept store , 1% on everything else only $75 annual fee . I would never hit the grocery cap , thats the only downfall i guess if your spending 100K on groceries lol.
Your are wrong. Some companies don't want to pay that usage charge.

i thought Amex was accepted EVERYWHERE? am i wrong?
laugh.gif
haha yes, definitely wrong. After having one, you'll realize how many places don't accept it. More of the smaller, non-chain places, but still it got old for me. 

Anyone have experience using AMEX outside the US? I feel like I didn't see it accepted many places, but I also planned on using my Visa any way so I didn't pay great attention when I was in Europe.

Only places that I have been that dont accept AMEX are hood spots (carry outs, liquor stores,etc) besides that I have had no issues.

I use my Discover card majority of the time if its not cash, i got denied once at some random diner in hillbilly ville :lol:

hes like sorry we dont take that card :lol:

Why does your credit score take a hit when you apply for a new card? I don't like it.

Last edited:
got chase freedom (love this card, and the chase mobile app is too clutch)

and recently got a Amex (only got this for the signup bonus of 200$ statement credit after spending 1k) needed to buy a new laptop so the 200$ was a no brainer.

also was just denied the other day using my amex at the courthouse when I had to pay a 250$ no left turn ticket.. smh

think I will be going after a discoverIt card next... for all my online purchases

Anybody have experience getting derogatory entries off their credit? My score isn't what it should be because I only have 2 things in there and both negative. I paid a balance a day late 1nce and on my mortgage paid that late 1 time and long story but that was an error on their side that caused and they said they still had to report it. Like who could I call to try to get those removed?

that's weird. they usually don't report late unless your 30 days past due. they report at end of month. as long as your payment is made before they report for the month your good

got chase freedom (love this card, and the chase mobile app is too clutch)

and recently got a Amex (only got this for the signup bonus of 200$ statement credit after spending 1k) needed to buy a new laptop so the 200$ was a no brainer.

also was just denied the other day using my amex at the courthouse when I had to pay a 250$ no left turn ticket.. smh
they probably don't accept amex and the clerk didn't know

haha yes, definitely wrong. After having one, you'll realize how many places don't accept it. More of the smaller, non-chain places, but still it got old for me. 

Anyone have experience using AMEX outside the US? I feel like I didn't see it accepted many places, but I also planned on using my Visa any way so I didn't pay great attention when I was in Europe.

only big corps stores usually accept amex because If you do a dispute if purchase you will get your money back 100% and the place that took the card can't fight it. unless they changed the terms. I don't take amex for that reason. I got a merchant account and credit machine I use to take payments electronics I sell

Last edited:
I have an account with Wells Fargo, and got a card with them. They started me with a $1000 limit. I'm not recommending you max out your card, but each time I got close to the limit, and paid it off in full, my limit was increased. First $1500, then $3000, and then $4700.

I DON'T recommend getting a Capital One card. You will probably NEVER see a limit increase.

I have an account with Wells Fargo, and got a card with them. They started me with a $1000 limit. I'm not recommending you max out your card, but each time I got close to the limit, and paid it off in full, my limit was increased. First $1500, then $3000, and then $4700.

I DON'T recommend getting a Capital One card. You will probably NEVER see a limit increase.

Capital one was my first major card. It opened with $500 and now im at $3000 but whenever i try to request an increase they're stingy with it talking about "i dont use my card enough to need an increase" which is true. I only have one $50 bill going to it each month lol

I have a Capitol One secure card and I've had my limit go up twice. Once at 6 months after opening it and another at the year mark

I applied for a Discover card and they denied me because I didn't "credit history"....

Told Wells Fargo about it and they hooked me with a Visa "College Credit Card"? Don't really know much about credit but it's starting somewhere I think.

Why does your credit score take a hit when you apply for a new card? I don't like it.

It takes a hit because the credit inquiry that the CC company pulls is usually a hard pull. Hard pulls stay on your credit background for 2 years and have the most impact on your score during the first 6 months. A new CC also lowers your Average Age of Account (AAoA) score. The longer you have had your credit cards the better.

Back
Top Bottom