24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

After I close on my co-op this discover card will deff be my next card. I thought i was doing it with my Chase freedom :smh:

why are you closing the card?

No closing on my co-op apartment

I dont want another credit pull during the process

Keeping both cards

I dont have many open accounts but i also dont have a long age of credit so in the next couple years im trying to build up my score and these last cards should age together well in the next 3-4 years

@Slicknick951
 what is a co-op apartment? Must be a NY thing.

Its a regular co-op like everywhere else. I said apartment because i was already confusing people.

Just like a condo but you own shares of the building or group of buildings rather than your individual unit. Its a pain in the rear end and ill never do it again but its right for my current situation.

Last edited:
Its a regular co-op like everywhere else. I said apartment because i was already confusing people.

Just like a condo but you own shares of the building rather than your individual unit. Its a pain in the rear end and ill never do it again but its right for my current situation.
Oh its a condo, never heard a condo called a co-op North Eastern term I guess.
Congrats on closing man, it's a step towards the home you really want.

Just like a condo but you own shares of the building rather than your individual unit. Its a pain in the rear end and ill never do it again but its right for my current situation.
Oh its a condo, never heard a condo called a co-op North Eastern term I guess.

Congrats on closing man, it's a step towards the home you really want.

Yea the major difference is the fact that with a condo you own it like you own a house but with a co-op the corporation owns the building but you own shares in the corporation based on your square footage. It makes sense that they aren't in the south or mid west because you guys don't have these big apartment complexes.

But yea its the first step for us to be able to save and spend the extra money on investment properties. I'm hoping to buy a house to actually live in within 3-4 years. Credit should be excellent by that point

I found these links for anyone else that is interested or hasn't heard of them.

http://manhattan.about.com/od/findanapartment/a/condoscoopsnyc.htm

http://manhattan.about.com/od/findanapartment/a/condoscoopsnyc_2.htm

Last edited:
Yeah we don't have those in the DC area. Very interesting concept.

Back on topic : Wish Discover allowed you to see your 5% category or Discover deal purchases that earned you cash back.

Last edited:
I think first purchase is like $30 discount otherwise no idea what else they offer. Probably nothing good

Would you guys recommend getting a card through Amazon.com?

Thats basically going to be a department store card. Its not worth it. Im just glad I opened my Macys card in High school and its 8+ years now.

Oh yeah everyone did hate Discover but now its on top :lol:. They have the best customer service and they aren't stingy with the CLI's :pimp:

Tried to sign up for the discover IT card and got denied..My credit is shot :frown:

Damn.Call up the reconsideration line.I know a couple people who were a little scared to do the straight IT card and did the student and got approved. Hows your profile looking?

Tried to sign up for the discover IT card and got denied..My credit is shot :frown:

Damn.Call up the reconsideration line.I know a couple people who were a little scared to do the straight IT card and did the student and got approved. Hows your profile looking?

Pretty bad. Got two delinquencies on there from when I graduated school and couldnt find a job. Ive paid off one and currently making payments on the other.. Current credit score is 587 :x.

Last edited:
Pretty bad. Got two delinquencies on there from when I graduated school and couldnt find a job. Ive paid off one and currently making payments on the other.. Current credit score is 587 :x.

Youll be straight. at least you aren't in your 40s+ worrying about this. You should apply for that CapOne card and youll def get approved. Build off that for the next 6 or so months and you'll get approved with discover IT. That 587 could be in the 700's in no time.

Make sure those delinquencies are up to date and in good standing. As well as other things.

yeah doesnt look good for you , how old are those delinquencies ?

I have the Amazon card. It gives you cash back on Amazon purchases and a few other things:

• 3% Back at Amazon.com
  • 2% Back at gas stations, restaurants, drugstores and office supply stores
  • 1% Back on all other purchases

These are all rolling, not quarterly.

I haven't used it in about 2 years though. Its under Chase Bank and I have the freedom card, so that took its place.

I do shop on Amazon a lot, but the big spending doesn't come until the holidays. At that time Chase gives 5% cash back (I think Amazon is a constant 3%). The other stuff is good too, but again Chase will have them up for 5% at some point as well.

The most profitable thing rewards related is to probably use the Amazon on those 2%-3% cash back categories, then switch to the Freedom when it has 5% in those same categories.

I just stick with one card so I use the Freedom.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom