24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

So what's the rule of thumb with requesting CLIs? 90 days before requesting one, or another one?

how often is a cool for "hard credit request" before they start to affect my credit score ?

With me I am not wasting an inquiry or hard pull on a random store card or a card I dont like and wont help me. I really didnt want another hard pull recently but the Discover was too good to pass up plus they are pretty generous with their lines/CLI's.

If your shopping for a house I believe they say keep hard inquiries at a minimum. Other than that I would say dont apply for something you really dont need and have you a nice rotation and sit on it until other inquiries drop off.

Well got denied for the discover it card so I'll stick with my quicksilver card. I won't apply for any more cards for the near future

I've got a discover it card. How often do they give them out? And isn't a cli request a soft pull unless they notify you that it will require an inquiry?
Yes it is a soft pull unless you get the 3-5 day decision message. If you get the 3-5 day message, call discover tell them to cancel the CLI. They will cancel it no questions asked.

Check these threads on myFico. I know I have requested CLI's after 2-3 weeks of receiving my last increase.

At one point this year Discover was giving CLI's every 17 days, not sure if that is still going on. Found the link its not still going, Discover is back to CLI's every 90 days.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Cre...days-train-still-rolling/m-p/4235920#U4235920

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Cre...olute-GOLD/m-p/3068278/highlight/true#M866038

Anyone have the cap one platinum? They keep sending me mail, want to get another card since my discover IT is the only account on my file. Any benefits/cons? Also will my score take a hit if I apply for a new card after being preapproved?

Last edited:
Anyone have the cap one platinum? They keep sending me mail, want to get another card since my discover IT is the only account on my file. Any benefits/cons? Also will my score take a hit if I apply for a new card after being preapproved?

Chase Sapphire preferred,Citi premier, or Citi prestige.

Yes you will take a hit for a hard inquiry. From what I've read on here, if you do plan to apply for new card, you should apply for multiple cards from different companies so it does not register as multiple hits.

Hmmm...got me debating a CLI with Discover just because I never have went for one with any card before. Is there a point where you shouldn't try to increase your limit anymore?

Yes you will take a hit for a hard inquiry. From what I've read on here, if you do plan to apply for new card, you should apply for multiple cards from different companies so it does not register as multiple hits.
No it will count as multiple hits. The reasoning behind apply to many cards at once is to have the highest score possible when applying to the new cards.

For example, if you apply to one card about 3-4 days laters your score will drop. Then you apply to another card and your score is lower than it was when you applied to the first card , because the inquiry has been reported.

If you apply to multiple cards on the same day all of applications will have the same score, whatever your highest score is at the time.

Hmmm...got me debating a CLI with Discover just because I never have went for one with any card before. Is there a point where you shouldn't try to increase your limit anymore?
Once you hit 20K on the Discover they will contact your employer to verify employment, 25K they will request pay stubs.

Once you hit 20K on the Discover they will contact your employer to verify employment, 25K they will request pay stubs.
Welp.....being that they started me at 22k, I will call it a wash and just be happy 
roll.gif

Lmao well, if everything is good on your side go for it if you want lol.
Nah, I don't need anymore honestly. I just always wanted to inquire about getting a CLI on a card. 

One credit that always eluded me was the damn PayPal SmartConnect. I got approved and I have the online SmartConnect credit, but I never got approved for having the actual physical card. Granted, I probably haven't requested the actual card in like 3-4 years, so I can't say for certain that this is still valid 
laugh.gif

My CapOne Platinum card was my first card and does absolutely nothing for me. My hatred for it is well documented in this topic.
laugh.gif

My 3 other cards get me rewards:

- CapOne Quicksilver (1.5% cash back)

- CapOne VentureOne (1.25 miles per $)

- Discover IT (5% cash back)

Sheesh @ 22k limit starting off. Honestly I don't see any reason to ask for an increase :lol:. Unless you're putting like 10 stacks on it a month. And I'm sure that ain't your only card

Sheesh @ 22k limit starting off. Honestly I don't see any reason to ask for an increase :lol:. Unless you're putting like 10 stacks on it a month. And I'm sure that ain't your only card

In most cases it allows you to use a smaller percentage of your available credit which in turn will increase your credit score.

Now if you pay off your card before the cycle this doesnt apply to you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom