2LT vol. army

thinking about enrolling in rotc.

been in for four years already>? pros and cons

only post if u have experience in this

thinking about enrolling in rotc.

been in for four years already>? pros and cons

only post if u have experience in this

You should do it. You about to be a 2LT? That's good money. Plus you can punk the %*!% out of everyone beneath you which is always hilarious for me to see when they do that, especially 1SG's.

You should do it. You about to be a 2LT? That's good money. Plus you can punk the %*!% out of everyone beneath you which is always hilarious for me to see when they do that, especially 1SG's.

I'm currently enrolled in Army ROTC but i'm a freshman so I don't have that much experience. But from what I've been through, I can honestly say that I love it.

Pros- its a great way to meet people, especially those who share the same passion as you. Also, its a good way to get involved at your college because there are so many clubs that you can join within ROTC. You stay in pretty good shape with PT, but you're still gonna have to hit the gym outside of ROTC. You get A LOT of respect, especially when people see you in uniform. One time a couple of cadets were out eating in a restaurant and a couple of people gave them $100 for the bill. Biggest pro: you can get a scholarship that pays full tuition, $600 a semester for books, and a monthly stipend starting at $300 which eventually becomes $500 by your senior year.

Cons- first off its Army, second, its ROTC so its a bunch of college kids, and not everyone takes it very seriously. I honestly hate when we are in formation supposed to stand at attention and everyone is goofing off and not showing any military bearing, but thats just my preference. Also, its really time consuming. For the first few weeks it was difficult waking up at 5 AM to run and then go to class later. But you will eventually get used to it.

Not too many cons. I say do it, if you don't like it, you can always drop it.

I'm currently enrolled in Army ROTC but i'm a freshman so I don't have that much experience. But from what I've been through, I can honestly say that I love it.

Pros- its a great way to meet people, especially those who share the same passion as you. Also, its a good way to get involved at your college because there are so many clubs that you can join within ROTC. You stay in pretty good shape with PT, but you're still gonna have to hit the gym outside of ROTC. You get A LOT of respect, especially when people see you in uniform. One time a couple of cadets were out eating in a restaurant and a couple of people gave them $100 for the bill. Biggest pro: you can get a scholarship that pays full tuition, $600 a semester for books, and a monthly stipend starting at $300 which eventually becomes $500 by your senior year.

Cons- first off its Army, second, its ROTC so its a bunch of college kids, and not everyone takes it very seriously. I honestly hate when we are in formation supposed to stand at attention and everyone is goofing off and not showing any military bearing, but thats just my preference. Also, its really time consuming. For the first few weeks it was difficult waking up at 5 AM to run and then go to class later. But you will eventually get used to it.

Not too many cons. I say do it, if you don't like it, you can always drop it.

I did Air Force ROTC. Currently a 2d Lt.

From what I hear, budget cuts may prevent an active duty commission, which means you'll be commissioned into the reserves and have reserve obligations. But this means the LT pay won't be there. It may not affect Army, but the AF and Navy I know have potential hits.

Anyhow, if you're serious about this, I say go to the ROTC unit at the school and just talk to them. They'll give you the information straight up, unlike recruiters.

Some pros include tuition money if you get awarded a scholarship, but at the minimum you get some sort of monthly stipend to help pay for stuff. Plus, the PT requirements, although simple, will probably keep you in check when it comes to staying in shape. The cons of course are the time commitment in college and the sometimes unwanted attention you receive on campus. I definitely found myself sacrificing some time for this instead of living the college life, but in the end it got me to where I want to be.

Good luck bro

I did Air Force ROTC. Currently a 2d Lt.

From what I hear, budget cuts may prevent an active duty commission, which means you'll be commissioned into the reserves and have reserve obligations. But this means the LT pay won't be there. It may not affect Army, but the AF and Navy I know have potential hits.

Anyhow, if you're serious about this, I say go to the ROTC unit at the school and just talk to them. They'll give you the information straight up, unlike recruiters.

Some pros include tuition money if you get awarded a scholarship, but at the minimum you get some sort of monthly stipend to help pay for stuff. Plus, the PT requirements, although simple, will probably keep you in check when it comes to staying in shape. The cons of course are the time commitment in college and the sometimes unwanted attention you receive on campus. I definitely found myself sacrificing some time for this instead of living the college life, but in the end it got me to where I want to be.

Good luck bro

MS4 here commissioning this summer if you have any questions at all ask away. One things I can say is I have no regrets at all in contracting.

Pros - the camaraderie you get especially when you're in the field is something that cannot be replicated. The respect you get while in uniform even as a cadet is unreal. I can't count the times when

I'm coming home from school and stop somewhere and I'll have random people come and thank you for my service, it's very humbling. When you contract you get a top secret security clearance. If

you choose to leave after your service you are very marketable because of your leadership experience and because of that security clearance that you hold. You will learn a lot about different

aspects of the US Army. Also getting $600 for books, $500 a month for stipend and about $4755 for your scholarship is also good.

Cons - Its a big time hog. You will have to miss some things because of weekend training and some of the training gets repetitive. Also getting up at 0530 does kinda suck.

MS4 here commissioning this summer if you have any questions at all ask away. One things I can say is I have no regrets at all in contracting.

Pros - the camaraderie you get especially when you're in the field is something that cannot be replicated. The respect you get while in uniform even as a cadet is unreal. I can't count the times when

I'm coming home from school and stop somewhere and I'll have random people come and thank you for my service, it's very humbling. When you contract you get a top secret security clearance. If

you choose to leave after your service you are very marketable because of your leadership experience and because of that security clearance that you hold. You will learn a lot about different

aspects of the US Army. Also getting $600 for books, $500 a month for stipend and about $4755 for your scholarship is also good.

Cons - Its a big time hog. You will have to miss some things because of weekend training and some of the training gets repetitive. Also getting up at 0530 does kinda suck.

meh i work out all the time. pt is nothing to me, like really,  getting up in the morning doesnt bother me either.

can one have a full time job (police officer) and go to school full time and do this???? or is that impossible????

meh i work out all the time. pt is nothing to me, like really,  getting up in the morning doesnt bother me either.

can one have a full time job (police officer) and go to school full time and do this???? or is that impossible????

dog idk what dude is talkin about....not a single 2LT on earth has ever punked a 1st Sgt or anybody above e3. i mean you gotta start somewhere, but PLEASE remain humble and remember that 90% of the enlisted world still has more experience than you...nothing worse than a cocky butter bar who thinks he rules the world.

dog idk what dude is talkin about....not a single 2LT on earth has ever punked a 1st Sgt or anybody above e3. i mean you gotta start somewhere, but PLEASE remain humble and remember that 90% of the enlisted world still has more experience than you...nothing worse than a cocky butter bar who thinks he rules the world.

yea ncos look down on officers cause they had to earn that %%+*. not to say officers didnt have to go through some stuff to get their rank but ncos are respected more.

especially a first sgt.

yea ncos look down on officers cause they had to earn that %%+*. not to say officers didnt have to go through some stuff to get their rank but ncos are respected more.

especially a first sgt.

Originally Posted by solarius49

I said it's especially funny when 1sgs do it. Dudes calling them gay, inserting random swear words into their name, getting on their clothes, how they talk, their cities of origin, just flat disrespect. Then I see like SPC's who get put over some PV2's for some kind of S1 project and want to get their smoke on so they'll do the same.

Originally Posted by solarius49

I said it's especially funny when 1sgs do it. Dudes calling them gay, inserting random swear words into their name, getting on their clothes, how they talk, their cities of origin, just flat disrespect. Then I see like SPC's who get put over some PV2's for some kind of S1 project and want to get their smoke on so they'll do the same.

i mean im a marine, so idk exactly how the army works...but my 2nd lt gets the stoneface from me all the time. as an officer you need to lean on the experience of your enlisted thats all

i mean im a marine, so idk exactly how the army works...but my 2nd lt gets the stoneface from me all the time. as an officer you need to lean on the experience of your enlisted thats all

im a captain in the army so maybe i can shed some light.

pros:
-better pay, outrank 90% of the unit, college degree, leadership experience, variety in jobs, specialty schooling is more accessible (airborne, ranger, pathfinder), promotion is easier for officers than enlisted.

cons:
-lots of admin paperwork, long hours spent planning, dealing with soldier issues, less friends (not supposed to fraternize with enlisted)

there really arent that many cons that i could think of.

im a captain in the army so maybe i can shed some light.

pros:
-better pay, outrank 90% of the unit, college degree, leadership experience, variety in jobs, specialty schooling is more accessible (airborne, ranger, pathfinder), promotion is easier for officers than enlisted.

cons:
-lots of admin paperwork, long hours spent planning, dealing with soldier issues, less friends (not supposed to fraternize with enlisted)

there really arent that many cons that i could think of.

Originally Posted by Xavier

Originally Posted by Xavier

Damn near impossible. You would be getting no type of sleep and have no type of life. Also the biggest factor on whether you get active duty or reserve is your GPA.

Back
Top Bottom