3 Series and C Class= Baller on a Budget Vol. Doing it you thought you was?

Living in SoCal, nothing is really rare unless you are willing to shell out more than a million for a car.

The price of a 3'er has been increased through out the years, and it's not even an entry level for BMW anymore. A 335i coupe, nicely loaded, will runyou around $50k. A 335i convertible with comparable options will hit you in the mid to high 50's.

It's not really balling on budget. I've personally met 2 M.D.'s on my E90post board who both own 2006 BMW 330 sedans, yet they make around 1/4 ofmillion dollars each year. I also know teenagers on the same board who drive M3's, which are about $30k or so more than the MSRP of the 330, but are making$40,000 a year. The difference? One spends all of the money on his car payment, and the other doesn't. Also one is a lease and the other isn't.
laugh.gif
Leasing is a dream come true for teenagers because it makes expensive cars affordable.

Here is how it goes for me...

Small body luxury... I like the 3 series coupe (hate seeing four door 3 series, why not just get the damn 5 series then...yuck), with the Lexus IS coming insecond...

Middle body luxury... I think the Lexus GS models trumps both Benz, and BMW (Lexus always came correct with this series,
pimp.gif
), with the BMW 5 series coming insecond...

Big Body luxury... Nothing like the S-Class Benz man I prefer the Big Body Benz over all other Big luxury cars, with the Lexus LS coming in second...

Prices to maintain these cars though are absurd... so with saying that... Nissan, Toyota, Honda for realistic blue collar people...

Yea maybe if ur sum what older. As for me, I own a 08 335i convertible at age 20. That I work my butt off for, it's def the best car around my hood. It wouldn't be as impressive If I was 30...

laugh.gif
Its funny people actually think like this. I'm not going to sayits not possible at 20 years old for you to buy your own 08 335 convertible, but I highly doubt it. Do you lease? Do you own it? Making payments? If youwent for the loan you most likely got the highest possible interest rate on a depreciating "asset" unless you had a Co-borrower. If your leasing itthen that itself is an explanation. Then comes this, if indeed you own an 08 335i convertible do you own a house? If you don't your just fronting likeyou have money. The younger guys on this message board are living in a fantasy world. If your driving a 7 series for example and you think your not ballingon a budget living in your moms house on your twin bed, the only person your kidding is yourself. You can usually spot those dudes a mile away. Its the samething when you see dudes in the hood pushing 60k cars, living in an area where the median income is 25k, the only person your impressing is your local hoodrat. If you have a decent house and you own one of those cars your doing ok for yourself.

3-Series gotta be a coupe
Class aint really that bad to be honest. Its just a lil too small IMO

Originally Posted by wj4

Also one is a lease and the other isn't.
laugh.gif
Leasing is a dream come true for teenagers because it makes expensive cars affordable.
For a non-car enthusiast, what would be the benefits of owning a car? I'm not in the market, but I'm just thinking, "why would I wantto own a car that's just going to decline in value year after year, when I can lease a car for a lower monthly payment and have an excuse to get a new carevery 3 years". I can see the benefits for car enthusiasts, but for the typical car owner who just wants a nice car to get around in, I don't see thebenefits of buying.

335 are serious.
pimp.gif

Doing my research and this is going to be the car im hopefully going to get by the end of summer.

Do I want an M3? Sure, why not, but I'll still have fun with a 335. A modified 335? Now were talking.
pimp.gif

had 2 e46 m3s
now have an e92m3

bmw is a nice car no matter what
alot of people have 3 series around here
seeing an m is a rare sight but 3 series are still nice cars

For a non-car enthusiast, what would be the benefits of owning a car? I'm not in the market, but I'm just thinking, "why would I want to own a car that's just going to decline in value year after year, when I can lease a car for a lower monthly payment and have an excuse to get a new car every 3 years". I can see the benefits for car enthusiasts, but for the typical car owner who just wants a nice car to get around in, I don't see the benefits of buying.

For one thing you never own anything, your a renter. When you pay your car off you own it, when you lease you are forced to give the car back, and in theevent you want to purchase the car you wind up paying WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than you would have had you initially financed the car. Second comes thestipulations, a friend of mine leased a 7 series and for the amount of miles he went over, + the initial payment he could have OWNED a slightly used Lexus LSwhich would have retained its value better, and has better reliability. If you like flossing in a new car every three years that's your thing butfinancially unless your in business for yourself it doesn't make sense, and even if you are in business for yourself IMO still doesn't make sense. Theonly time a lease makes sense is when you want to drive something you otherwise would not be able to buy, or if you want a new car, but the car you want to buyhas horrible initial depreciation (7 series, M5, Benz's), and in that case i would just hold out a year or two and buy it used.

Originally Posted by trethousandgt

For a non-car enthusiast, what would be the benefits of owning a car? I'm not in the market, but I'm just thinking, "why would I want to own a car that's just going to decline in value year after year, when I can lease a car for a lower monthly payment and have an excuse to get a new car every 3 years". I can see the benefits for car enthusiasts, but for the typical car owner who just wants a nice car to get around in, I don't see the benefits of buying.

For one thing you never own anything, your a renter. When you pay your car off you own it, when you lease you are forced to give the car back, and in the event you want to purchase the car you wind up paying WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than you would have had you initially financed the car. Second comes the stipulations, a friend of mine leased a 7 series and for the amount of miles he went over, + the initial payment he could have OWNED a slightly used Lexus LS which would have retained its value better, and has better reliability. If you like flossing in a new car every three years that's your thing but financially unless your in business for yourself it doesn't make sense, and even if you are in business for yourself IMO still doesn't make sense. The only time a lease makes sense is when you want to drive something you otherwise would not be able to buy, or if you want a new car, but the car you want to buy has horrible initial depreciation (7 series, M5, Benz's), and in that case i would just hold out a year or two and buy it used.

We had this debate a lil while ago. Here's a snippet.

Originally Posted by HOLLAKID619

Originally Posted by Lrrr

Originally Posted by Vancity74

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorg3

so after 3 years you're down 20,000 with nothing to show for it. what are the benefits of leasing car?

$20,000 into a car that you have yo just give back after 30 months? I'd rather finance any day. For that same 20K you can OWN a car that you can actually modify, drive when/where you want, and possible sell or give away to you children. Finance > Lease

What were your guys' SAT scores? I'm guessing under 800? Ya'll are too dumb, I can't even believe I'm responding.

The whole point of a lease is to pay for the depreciation of a vehicle. I spent $20,000 on depreciation. Next year, when I have to hand the keys over, odds are the car is going to be worth under $20,000. So I paid $20,000 for $25,000 worth of depreciation. Not to mention that this $20,000 is AFTER interest.

Say for example I was to finance the car for 60 months @ 5%, my payment would be $850/month. Multiply this by 60 (the number of payments I would have to make), and suddenly the $45,000 car ends up costing me $51,000. Not to mention, in 5 years, the car is barely going to be worth $10,000. So congratulations, you ended up paying $51,000 for a car that's worth $10,000. I'm definitely more comfortable paying the $20,000 than *LOSING* over $40,000.

Does this make sense to you guys, or do I need Lil Wayne to rap this to you?

edit: And lets not even get started on the fact that my lease is 100% tax deductible, essentially costing me nothing.
What does "Lil Wayne" have to do with anything? If that was your attempt at a racist comment...
If your a "Fake It Till I Make It" type dude, go ahead and lease. You obviously just want to drive a car you cant afford. For the rest of us here, a lease is just throwing away money. Why pay rent when you can pay a mortgage? If it was all about that, we should all head out to Enterprise Rent-A-Car, would that be the same thing? Also, there's no way a '05 M3 is going to be woth $10,000 next year, let's be serious here. 2001 M3's still fetch $25K and thats 8yrs old compared to yours which will be only 5yrs old. Show us a link to a 5yr old M3 for $10K and ill go buy it tomorrow jerk. At the end of the day, I hope that $500 a month is worth it to you because when you go hand in those keys next year, go home brand new storage room that used to be a garage and be proud! Then, if you decide to do it all over again with the 2010 model, by 2015 you've wasted $40,000. WOW, you'll really deserve a pat on the back for that one!
clap.gif
1. Houses appreciate in value. Cars don't. Paying a mortgage and financing a car are two VERY different things.

2. No. They go from between 18k up to 25k.
I know cars dont appreciate in value. That was my way of making a comparison between renting and owning something. A car will almost never make you money after you resell it, but not many people buy a car with direct intentions of selling it in the near future. I just feel like after 3 cars, 15 years, and $60,000 (at Vancity's calculations), you should have something to show for it. For that same $60,000 someone can buy all those cars he returned and keep them forever.

An '01 M3 does go anywhere from $18K - $25K but that still goes to show you some are still worth $25K nonetheless. I have no clue where he's getting his information from that tells him that his 2005 BMW M3, which is worth anywhere between $28,000 (w/ high mileage) - $38,000, will lose $18,000 - $28,000 in value within ONE YEAR!!! I know we all want to get our point across but lets use real numbers here. For someone that enjoys bashing someone elses eduaction, Vancity sure need to learn some basic math skills. We already established the 8yr old models are being sold for upto $25k, how on earth will his 5yr old model be worth only $10K??? Excuse me, as Vancity would say it, "Barely $10K". Are you driving a Kit-Car? BTW, these arent prices I'm making up in my head. These are prices I actually see these cars being sold for online as I type. Dont feel dumb yet? Well consider this...

Vancity's lease is, $5,000 down, $500/mo, for 30/mos. At those numbers the residual was calculated at about $29,300. The dealer is going to get the car back next year and sell it again for roughly.... $35,000 (depending on the mileage). Thats about $5,700 EXTRA the dealer is making. By next year you would have paid $5,700 more than the actual depreciation of the car. Forget about the the tax deductions you get up in Canada, I'm trying to make this realistic for the people here in the states. The dealer is always going to find a way to make extra money from us, leases are one of them, just face it.

3 series are nice to see, but I can't fit in one because I'm tall and would feel like driving my old civic.

I love my Acura right now
smile.gif

Originally Posted by StarburyPtGod

Originally Posted by wj4

Also one is a lease and the other isn't.
laugh.gif
Leasing is not for everybody. The only reasons I see to do it are for those who want a new car every 3 years, in which buying and trading in wouldbe very expensive, or for those who want to drive something they can't afford, which is an issue with priorities in my opinion.

Even if a car depreciates, it's nice to have some equity to sell with the money put in, especially if you buy a brand that keeps good residual values (i.e.Acura, Honda, Lexus, Toyota, etc). After all, depreciation is mostly the cost of driving the car (after the initial hit of "driving it off the lot"so to speak), one can't expect to buy a car for $30,000, drive it for 3 years, and get $30,000 back.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Whenever you see a 3 series or C class is that what you think? Do you need an M3 or M5 to be official?

3-series are the best models in BMW's lineup.

And you can easily "ball on a budget" by copping a used 5- or 7-series since the depreciation on those models is terrible.

/thread.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by nbirn2103

335i brand new loaded after taxes is about 58k. The convertible is even more.

Is that really ballin on a budget?
you can get way better cars for what paying for....seriously...
Before you even say it

335>wack %%! charger

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

Before you even say it

335>wack %%! charger
I must agree unless we speak of

1238341415_Trishas_2008_Dodge_Charger_Super_Bee.jpg

Charger SRT-8 Super Bee >>>> 335 on the track and on the street

Before you even say it

335>wack %%! charger

Before you even say it

335>wack %%! charger

laugh.gif

Before you even say it

335>wack %%! charger

Ahhh dont be like that
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

335i vs SRT8 Race 2

Internet_High_Five.jpg

The 3 Series, C Class, and especially the IS 250/350 are the new honda civics where I live. I seriously see more of each then I do civics on the road, theyreeverywhere. M3s are pretty common, 63s Ive seen here and there, only seen 3 or 4 IS-Fs in person though.

I think the Moral of the story is just because you have a specific car DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. If you make 100k a year you could lease a Lambo, does thatmean your doing it? NO.

Originally Posted by 0cks

HOLLAKID619 wrote:

MR MONDAY NIIGHT wrote:

ninjahood wrote:

nbirn2103 wrote:

Before you even say it

335>wack %%! charger

laugh.gif

Did this dude just say on the track?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom