5 Million People Cut Their Cable Subscription Off

I still use cable.

I'm not a heavy Netflix, Hulu or Redbox user at all.

When I am home: I usually watch TV for sports, news and CNBC/Bloomberg etc etc

IDK why most people find it okay to watch TV on their laptops. The screen is just too small for me. I'd rather sit on my couch in front of my 65" TV and lounge. Also, when I want to watch a movie--the surround sound adds a nice touch. IDK how I replicate that using my computer.

And I know there are ways to hook up a laptop to a TV, but something about sitting on my couch using a remote feels "right".

Maybe I'm "old school" and will have to eventually get with the times.

View media item 674272

Besides the occaisional movie or old TV I used to like a lot I don't watch TV, oh yeah and while I'm in bed waiting to drift off family guy/the office. I can just hop on netflix or one of the many streaming sites out there and be good.

I'd also hate to pay a **** load of money just for some basic *** internet in the future, cause what we got now is terrible.

I have cable out here in South Korea lol. Actually though, I love having cable tv. Maybe it is just me, but I like the randomness of cable. I still get quite a good amount of American channels (like Discovery and History).

Except for NBA and NFL I don't super care about anything else. There about 6 shows I really like and I download those in HD to watch at my leisure (laptop to tv hdmi connect).

I love being able to switch on my tv and not know what is going to be on tv. It's not that I always like my choices, but I don't want to think sometimes. I just want to lay down and see what people are putting out there. It's how I usually get into new shows. Like today, I switched on TV and there was randomly on some show about American slang and how it became slang. It was pretty interesting. Not something I want to take the mental effort to DVR and sit down and watch completely. Was perfect for the 15 minutes it took me to do dishes.

mean.gif
@ where the internet prices at going to start trending...

I compare this to the cellular industry...

At first, they were charging out the wazoo for minutes and messages...

When they started TK realize people weren't too fond of it, they switched over to outrageous data charges and caps...

I can see a time where home internet will be $80-$110...

With cable being a free add on or like... $10...

mean.gif
meh. I can see it going both way. Internet speeds will only get better, so prices will increase. I can see the current speeds staying the same or going lower. Either way, I haven't even paid for internet in the last 7+ years so I won't be mad when I finally have to lol

Dont mean to thread jack but it seems like this is an appropriate thread to ask this question. I have never gotten to the bottom of this. Does anyone know why my Sony Vaio cant connect to my Samsung tv with HDMI? I had a Samsung LCD 42 inch and it would work only every once in a while. It was very random, but often I got a not enough or no signal icon on the TV. Now im using a Samsung Plasma and it never works. Not once. I made my computer be an extension, Ive switched the order i turned things on/off or when i would plug the cable in, which seemed to work on the LCD sometimes. But nothing, on the Plasma.

Exactly. I just had to get cable again so I could get the basic news :smh: If Roku or Chromecast had local news I would be straight. My area is funny w/ signals and weather so I didn't wanna risk rabbit ears

All you need is an antenna to get the basic channels(NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox)

Dont mean to thread jack but it seems like this is an appropriate thread to ask this question. I have never gotten to the bottom of this. Does anyone know why my Sony Vaio cant connect to my Samsung tv with HDMI? I had a Samsung LCD 42 inch and it would work only every once in a while. It was very random, but often I got a not enough or no signal icon on the TV. Now im using a Samsung Plasma and it never works. Not once. I made my computer be an extension, Ive switched the order i turned things on/off or when i would plug the cable in, which seemed to work on the LCD sometimes. But nothing, on the Plasma.

I would try it on a friends TV. you might have a faulty HDMI output port. Same thing happened on my computer

Time for the cable networks like TNT, USA, TBS, AMC and ESPN to find a way to offer their services a la carte and not through the cable company.

Viewership is down, which means ad revenue is down which means they need to find a better way.

ahhh dang Comcast just sent a letter stating they are encrypting limited basic channels now. No more free cable lol

Super Bowl 2014 streaming online: FOX will allow users to watch online, on mobile devices

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/23/5333296/super-bowl-xlviii-free-stream-online-mobile-app

20140118_kkt_aa9_035.0_standard_709.0.jpg

The superbowl is consistently the most-watched event of the year, and when it comes to Super Bowl XLVIII, viewers will have even more options to watch the game. In addition to the television broadcast, viewers will be able to watch the game online and on their mobile devices for free.

FOX owns the broadcast rights for the game and the network will make a simulcast of the television broadcast available through FOX Sports Go. That means users can watch the game online at FOXSportsGo.com or through the FOX Sports Go mobile app for Apple devices. Typically, only users with eligible cable subscriptions are able to use FOX Sports Go. However, FOX will not require users to authenticate their cable service to watch the Super Bowl, opening it for free use, according to Eric Fisher of the Sports Business Journal. In addition, the online stream will be available in Spanish for the first time, according to Fisher.

Last year, Super Bowl 47 drew the third-highest rating in television history with an estimated 108.4 million people watching on TV, according to the Washington Times. The matchup between Seattle and Denver should draw significant interest, giving Super Bowl 48 a chance to top Super Bowl 46 as the most-watched ever. That game drew 111.3 million viewers. Regardless of whether it sets a record or not, viewers will have more options to watch the game than ever before.

I cancelled my cable about 4 years ago when I found out I could stream literally anything I wanted to watch on my laptop, and hook it up to the tv.
This includes live tv, AND sports.

I really dont know what some of you are talking about as far as the sports are concerned.
I stream sports all the time and the quality in not garbage like some of you say it is. You guys just need to find a better streaming site.
Not to mention the sports that you cant get on Cable like the Mayweather fight or UFC, or soccer matches,

Movies get streamed as well. Unless it is something that I really want to see AND support I stream the DVD quality version about a week or two after it comes out.
For older shows and movies I have netflix.

So all I pay for in a month is Netflix, $60 a year for Xbox live, and $50 a month for unlimited broadband speed internet, with no caps or metering. Way better than paying $100+ a month for cable and limited internet usage.

im payin 100 a month for direct tv + internet...just seems like a waste of money, although like another NTer said...i like the randomness of tv...but the programming usually sucks...proabably watch 10-20 channels out of the 140+ i have
really considering cancelling it but I doubt i will

i jus renewed my contract wit direct tv. 4 hd genies for 90$ a month.. smh

#2MoreYears

p.s anyone wanna join? i can use that extra 10$ off a month... both for me and you.. pm me 

lol.

Don't know about y'all but I like scrolling through channels and finding new shows

It would be cool if you could view all the channels on your guide and you could view whatever you want, they just only charge you at the end of the month for what you watch, like x price per channel

Picked up the Roku 3 this afternoon, cancelling my service tomorrow.

Hoping for an easy adjustment without cable. Both my girl and I work full time, so my son takes up a majority of the cable viewing with cartoons.

Back
Top Bottom