60,000 NYCers Apply for 14 Rent- Controlled Micro Apartments (255 sqft- $950 to $1450) vol Carmel Pl

It's here to stay bro. Inner city living is what's popping regardless of strength of economy.

Across so many cities I visited regardless of living expense, downtown inner city gentrification is strong.

It's much more a generational thing than it is economy based. None of us has dreams of moving to the suburbs, we all want to stay in the city and as we become the "working professionals" or those with purchasing power that's where we gonna try and live.

Last edited:
This is pretty cool. Not a lot of people stay in, in NYC. You just need a place, to crash, shower and prepare food. If you are young, the city got everything you desire to outweigh the cost of living in it. Same thing with Tokyo, Singapore, London. You can't compare rent to where you live ( Kansas or whatever), if you do, then compare lifestyle and opportunity cost as well. It is what it is, it was not meant for everyone.

NYC is the greatest place on earth.

Its impossible for a place that gets snow regularly to be the greatest place on Earth.

It's here to stay bro. Inner city living is what's popping regardless of strength of economy.

Across so many cities I visited regardless of living expense, downtown inner city gentrification is strong.

It's much more a generational thing than it is economy based. None of us has dreams of moving to the suburbs, we all want to stay in the city and as we become the "working professionals" or those with purchasing power that's where we gonna try and live.

You maybe right, but id like to see a millennial generation experience a robust economy and see how they would react with increased income & opportunity to see of they still would prefer city over suburbs.

Alot of da city influx is da fallout of da housing meltdown years ago, so people who normally could afford a nice big house now settle for a decent condo, and condo folks get pushed down to big apts, and those folks get priced to smaller apts, etc. etc.

Last edited:
Sick of NY winters and NY police. :smh:
My boy moved to Cali. Constantly taking snaps with perfect weather, women, weed dispensaries. Flourishing out there. Looks like heaven on earth.

Seriously how do Bay Area NTrs afford it I always wondered this? It legit intrigues me.

They must make 250k+ salary.

Last edited:
They have some of these "Mirco-studios" pupping up in Seattle. :smh:

176-300 square feet apartments with common kitchen +dining room and a common shower. You only got a single sink, a toilet, and a mini fridge, but rent is still $800+.

Its insane.

It's getting crazy here we are going to need rent control soon or everyone is about to move down south.

Anything under 500 sq feet is a joke an even 500 sq ft ain't ****

This thread is scary.

Last edited:
I thought I was getting got for 875 for 890 sq ft. Got damn I would never want to live there.

It hurts to admit it..but I don't see myself living in my own city as a young adult. I always planned on leaving for the Caribbean by my early 30s. Just figured I'd get to experience the NY life as a full fledged adult before I went. Now it doesn't even make sense. Assuming I get a somewhat decent job in some BS middle management position I would still need a roommate to just rent an apartment AND still pay bills AND still finance getting my masters. The numbers are just getting more and more ridiculous out here. Short of living at home with the fam, there's no cheap living out here.

GF and I were watching them house hunting/fix'em up shows over the weekend. At first I was like I'll just watch it cuz she wants to. But then I got really into it...and really mad. This black couple in Memphis, TN. Wife is a first grade teacher at a public school (no more than 5 years on the job), husband is a saxophonist who plays part time in a jazz band and composes jazz music. They considered paying more than 180k for a house to be absurd. At first I was confused but then I learned why. They saw three properties ranging from 160k to 185k, none with less than three rooms. They picked the house for 170k, and worked it down to 160k. They got 4 bedrooms + an office space, 2 FULL baths, dining room, den/living room, newly remodeled kitchen w/ appliances, garage + driveway space. Backyard was at least 1/2 acre. And they had a sizeable front lawn too. Essentially a mini mansion for under 200k (minor renovations included). I was so vex. So so so so so so vex. People are really balling making average middle class wages. 200k in NY can't get you squat. Perhaps a small 2 bedroom condo in deep Canarsie.

And you know that a ~200k mortgage with some good money management could probably be squashed long before the 30 years are up.

I'm just mad. Like I really might have to move down south or to the midwest to live decent.

Last edited:
Here's a software engineer who works at Google and bought a 16 foot box truck and lives in it, which is an interesting solution. He's 23, presumably makes 6 figures, paid 10k for the truck and does everything else at google, just has to sleep there is his rationalization. #theextentpeoplegototoavoidtheflyoverpartofthecountry
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...uck-parked-at-company-headquarters/?tid=a_inl
truck.jpg

View media item 1972265View media item 1972266
Damb that's brilliant except when u got the bg's while ur sleeping
He works for Google . I'm pretty sure they got 24/7 access to gyms and locker rooms/ showers

I thought I was getting got for 875 for 890 sq ft. Got damn I would never want to live there.

Lmao wow.........

875 is section 8 prices in my city and that's not firing shots.

People not from the Northeast don't understand.

What is min wage in Michigan these days?

When I see things like this it makes me wanna move/invest diff states but I can't picture living there.

Last edited:
For how much NYC cost, I'm not even mad at NH. I mean people are gonna judge him all day but I mean.....

Would I wanna live like that? No. But if I grew up there and see how much it cost to move out from that. I get it I really do.

Last edited:
$875 would get you 1/2 of the rent for a small studio where i live [emoji]128557[/emoji]

You're Cali right?

i just did a quick search in CT a 500 sq ft studio going for $850 an it's nothing special. He said 890sq ft for 875 with shared expenses that's ballin.

Last edited:
For all of that Just move to Stamford, then commute between CT and NY the merit prkwy is right there.

It hurts to admit it..but I don't see myself living in my own city as a young adult. I always planned on leaving for the Caribbean by my early 30s. Just figured I'd get to experience the NY life as a full fledged adult before I went. Now it doesn't even make sense. Assuming I get a somewhat decent job in some BS middle management position I would still need a roommate to just rent an apartment AND still pay bills AND still finance getting my masters. The numbers are just getting more and more ridiculous out here. Short of living at home with the fam, there's no cheap living out here.

GF and I were watching them house hunting/fix'em up shows over the weekend. At first I was like I'll just watch it cuz she wants to. But then I got really into it...and really mad. This black couple in Memphis, TN. Wife is a first grade teacher at a public school (no more than 5 years on the job), husband is a saxophonist who plays part time in a jazz band and composes jazz music. They considered paying more than 180k for a house to be absurd. At first I was confused but then I learned why. They saw three properties ranging from 160k to 185k, none with less than three rooms. They picked the house for 170k, and worked it down to 160k. They got 4 bedrooms + an office space, 2 FULL baths, dining room, den/living room, newly remodeled kitchen w/ appliances, garage + driveway space. Backyard was at least 1/2 acre. And they had a sizeable front lawn too. Essentially a mini mansion for under 200k (minor renovations included). I was so vex. So so so so so so vex. People are really balling making average middle class wages. 200k in NY can't get you squat. Perhaps a small 2 bedroom condo in deep Canarsie.

And you know that a ~200k mortgage with some good money management could probably be squashed long before the 30 years are up.

I'm just mad. Like I really might have to move down south or to the midwest to live decent.

i feel ya.

here i was complaining about the brand new house i just got built 2000+ sqft 2 car garage 4 beds 3 baths walk in showers with jacuzzi etc. and thought i was getting got paying 1600 a month but i loved the house and location. If i would of moved further out and don't mind the commute i could of gotten a bigger house with more land for less than what i paid and it would of been brand new too.

i am from the south born and raised and I'm starting to see my city grow really fast I'm trying to figure out where are all these people coming from.

Quality of living is something NYCers jus dont understand...

My bedroom is litterally bigger than these "apartments" and were moving for more space soon *shrug*

I'm a NYC native, born and raised. Live in Queens, work in lower Manhattan in the real estate business. Luxury apartments more specifically. It's sad what's going on with the housing situation here.

When there's high demand and limited quantity, sellers (the landlord) can charge a huge premium.

IMO, NYC is overpopulated, overpriced and over hyped.

I don't enjoy my daily commute
View media item 1973854
I see many tenants are students who have $0 income and have a family member as a guarantor or a company like insurent to guarantee their rent. Otherwise they wouldn't be approved for the lease.

I see it very often, the bankers, doctors, lawyers, people in the tech business, they get evicted or terminate their lease early because they couldn't afford their rent and relocate. Many times out of state.

I love my city, but I may have to leave the 5 boroughs unless I find something in Staten island or the BX.

Back
Top Bottom