(7-9) Miami Dolphins 2010 Season Thread: WE SUCK! THANK GOD IT'S OVER!!!

Miami selects AJ Edds OLB/ILB

Best cover LB in the draft. 5 int just last season

Dolphins select Nolan Carroll CB 6-1, 202, ran a 4.37 40 a

Size and speed combo. Legitimate player if he's healthy.   

His mother, Jennifer Carroll, is the first black female Republican elected to the Florida state legislature

Dang Parcells is trying to stack our D.  I like it 
pimp.gif

Dolphins select Middle Tennessee OLB Chris McCoy with the No. 212 pick in the 7th round

FREAK! Mark my word, might be the steal of the draft. 1 of my favorite pick for us! Will compete for stating WOLB

Originally Posted by toast1985

I don't get it @ Ginn Family.

When we drafted Ginn, Cam Cameron made it a point to tell all of us that we are not only drafting this amazing WR/KR, but that we are drafting the entire Ginn Family as well, and how great of people they are, which had most Dolphin fans at the following:
mad.gif

ohwell.gif

indifferent.gif

grin.gif

tired.gif

sick.gif

Dolphins 7th rd pick Austin Spitler was a captain @ OSU, 6-2, 243, bench pressed 225 pounds 32 times. 32 inch vert. 4,23 short shuttle. Athletic

Dolphins
Travis Ivey, DT, Maryland
AJ Wallace, CB, Penn State
Ross Weaver, DB, Michigan State
Vince Oghobaase, DT, Duke

UDFA Signing so far

DRAFT

Jared Odrick, DE, Penn St

Koa Misi, OLB, Utah

John Jerry, OG, Ole Miss

A.J. Edds, ILB, Iowa

Nolan Carroll, CB, Maryland

Reshad Jones FS, Georgia

Chris McCoy OLB, Mid Tenn

Austin Spitler ILB, OSU

UDFA

[font='Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=5][b][font='Times New Roman']
[/font][/b][/size][/size][/font]

Travis Ivey, DT, Maryland
AJ Wallace, CB, Penn State
Ross Weaver, DB, Michigan State
Vince Oghobaase, DT, Duke
Roberto Wallace, WR, SDSU
Jonathan Amaya, DB, Nevada
Andy Leavine, OL, FIU
Marlon Moore, WR, Fresno State
Kyle C. Harrington, DL, UMass

Originally Posted by rawjs

Originally Posted by toast1985

I don't get it @ Ginn Family.

When we drafted Ginn, Cam Cameron made it a point to tell all of us that we are not only drafting this amazing WR/KR, but that we are drafting the entire Ginn Family as well, and how great of people they are, which had most Dolphin fans at the following:
mad.gif

ohwell.gif

indifferent.gif

grin.gif

tired.gif

sick.gif
Not to mention, Teddy Ginn Sr. is notorious for posting up in his son's locker room post game...

roll.gif
smh.gif

Think Bill was sending a message building up that D? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Good lord, we have a TON of young talent on that side of the ball now.  Hope they can coach em up and turn them into something. 

We may not be great on D early, but give it a season or two and we could develop into a nice unit. 

don't know anything about koa misi, but do ya'll think he's better than sergio kindle who was still available at the time that we drafted him?

Thing with Kindle is all the rumors about him needed microfracture surgery, or just how long his career will be. It's a medical risk, but obviously some doctors think he's alright. I think at this point I'd rather draft the healthy guy and maybe next season take care of that position... But we drafted another LB after that so we'll see.

We don't need to draft another OLB because Misi will be the starting SOLB. Koa will be stud. Think Jr Seau @ OLB 
pimp.gif

I think the message is for Channing. mostly. I hope we cut him. Dobbins will push him for the start position . 
We drafted 3 that I know will be starters (Odrick, Misi, Jerry). Those were the holes we need to cover. So the 3 year plan is looking good to me.

Reshad Jones also has a great chance to start @ FS too. Dude hits hard and has GREAT balls skills! So that makes 4 that can start this season. 

A.J. Edds will be the nickle ILB this season off the bat and our future starting ILB. Don't be surprised if he's the starter this year next to Dansby. So if he starts, that's 5.

Again, if he doesn't start this year, he will see A LOT of time on the field at nickle ILB. Dudes cover skills are STUPID GOOD. He covered TE & WR and had 5 INT last season. 

Nolan Carroll is said to be a gem and one of the steal of the draft by scouts. He will be the dime CB behind Smith, Davis and W. Allen to begin with and move up from there. He can also KR/PR and be the gunner on ST. He has size and speed combo  6'1"  202 lb and ran a 4.37 40 . He's the Ginn pick. Could be a S but was told he's a CB

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chris McCoy. Say hello to the steal of the draft and your future WOLB. Dude's a monster but might need some time. If he would have went to a school like Alabama, he would be hyped up and a Rd 2-3 pick.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Austin Spitler was drafted for depth at ILB and SP. They said he's strong and athletic. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That's 5-6 potential starters in 1 draft. Even if we only get 3 starter, 2 starters = good draft. 3 starters = Great draft[/font]

I had help from someone that you can say is my source that has his sources in the front office. I was told to focus on WR, DT, S, LB so I got on it. 
I've been in Mike Mayack mode for the last 2 1/2 month. Running the mock on NT has help a lot of help.

lil nugget : June 1 could be a good day if they feel that they have to add a FS. OJ Atogwe could become an UFA that day. God that would be nice

I sure hope these picks pan out. Because the previous drafts are looking worse by the day. Nalbone, Andrews, Haynos, Turner, White, Merling, Torbor, and so on.

Karlos Dansby #58
Jared Odrick will wear #98,
Koa Misi will wear #55, (remember I said think JR Seau who wore #55)
John Jerry will wear #74
A.J. Edds will wear #54
Nolan Carroll will wear #28,
Reshad Jones #35,
Tim Dobbins will wear #51,
Austin Spitler and Chris MCoy will wear 44 and 48 respectively. 

[h1][h1]Kiper: Round 1 impact players[/h1][h3]
[h3]Detroit could have the top impact players, and not just for the usual reasons[/h3]
By Mel Kiper Jr.
ESPN Insider
Archive

On Monday night at the ESPN Zone in Baltimore, I spent a couple of hours with you -- ESPN.com readers and Insiders -- debating and discussing last week's NFL draft. There's always disagreement and conjecture about grades, and before I list the first-round guys who I think could make the biggest impact, I will say that I don't like one grade just a few days after giving it.

nfl_u_jbestts_200.jpg

Getty ImagesJahvid Best could be a huge hit early for Detroit.

I was too hard on the Miami Dolphins. I've already said how much I like Jared Odrick, but aside from the recent addition of Brandon Marshall, I think Koa Misi from Utah could be better than I had judged. I think he'll convert to outside linebacker much more easily than I expected, giving the Dolphins a chance to have essentially three pretty impactful players (including Marshall) from one draft class early next season. I really like Misi's chance to start the more I look into that situation.

But enough about where I screwed up. Starting Tuesday with Round 1 and following with Rounds 2-7 later in the week, I'll pick out teams that could see the quickest impact from rookies in the upcoming season. This year, it starts in Detroit.

1. Ndamukong Suh and Jahvid Best
On Monday night at the Insider event, one question was framed around the Detroit Lions and essentially boiled down to this: Are Suh and Best impact players because they really are that good or because they're going to Detroit, where even average players will make an impact?

Sure, the Lions have an edge because they had two first-round picks, but my answer is that Suh and Best should help that team immediately, and partly because the Lions under general manager Martin Mayhew and coach Jim Schwartz didn't use the draft alone to improve this team. Start with Suh, who isn't simply stepping into a massive void on the interior of Detroit's defensive line. The Lions also went out and added Corey Williams along the interior and Kyle Vanden Bosch on the edge of that 4-3 to make Suh's transition easier. Suh was the highest-rated player on my Big Board for much of the year because double-teams were often useless against him. Because the Lions added talent to that front, they've created a situation in which Suh has a chance to thrive, and early. Again, impact doesn't happen just because there's a void.

As for Best, Schwartz has made it known in sometimes hilarious fashion how much he likes the talent out of Cal, and with incumbent Kevin Smith coming off an injury, expect Detroit to not only use Best often but also help him by spreading out defenses with additions to its receiving corps and (presumably) the growth of Matthew Stafford. Remember, Stafford was the age of a college senior last year in a league in which guys who start that young struggle as a rule. Best simply isn't far at all behind C.J. Spiller. Same size, same speed, same propensity for the huge play. Best fell in the draft because of his track record with a couple of injuries. He has a chance to be a highlight machine, and the Ford Field turf will help.

2. C.J. Spiller
Count me in the group of folks who question what the Buffalo Bills were thinking in not drafting a tackle until Round 5. They passed on good tackles several times before the fifth round. Still, Spiller has the chance to make an immediate impact in the NFL. Yes, the learning curve for running backs will naturally push them onto lists like this, but Spiller lands here also because he figures not to receive the holes most backs need to be successful, and he and Best are the two players taken early who can get huge yardage out of nothing. The question for the Bills will be whether a back like Spiller, who shouldn't be cast into a role as a guy piling up much more than 15 carries per game, also can be used in the passing or return games.

3. Jermaine Gresham
Gresham is a bit of a surprise pick because he spent the past year on the sideline and because there's a learning curve for tight ends entering the NFL. Still, I'll take a shot and say that Carson Palmer will fall in love with the big man's talents early on and use him both in the seams and as a red zone threat. I also think that if Cincy is able to use second-day pick Jordan Shipley in the slot, with Antonio Bryant and Chad Ochocinco on the outside, it could open things up even more for Gresham. Linebackers can't keep pace, and because Gresham is 6-5 and more than 260 pounds, safeties will be undersized.

4. Ryan Mathews
I realize there's a fish-in-a-barrel quality to this pick because Chargers coach Norv Turner said he plans to turn Mathews into a workhorse from day one, but if I didn't add him to the list, it wouldn't be accurate. San Diego traded up for Mathews, who has deceiving speed that will show up when he cracks the line of scrimmage. Given the load the San Diego Chargers plan to hand him, and the way they can pass the ball and use the great Antonio Gates to keep linebackers from stacking the line, Mathews has a great shot to be the offensive rookie of the year.

ncf_i_dwilliams1_300.jpg

Getty ImagesDan Williams and Darnell Dockett should be a handful.

5. Russell Okung and Earl Thomas
Seattle and Baltimore had the two best drafts in my eyes, and two immediate starters in the first round are why Seattle is on this list. The great Walter Jones' retirement leaves the left side open for Okung to step into right away, and although I expect him to struggle like any rookie left tackle will early on as he picks up the nuanced pass-rushing skills of NFL defensive ends and outside linebackers, I still think he was the safest left tackle pick in the first round. Thomas can make up for what could be some initial hesitancy in attacking players closer to the line of scrimmage with already exceptional cover skills. He is almost universally unquestioned as a fantastic defensive threat against the pass, and Pete Carroll will put him to use.

Eh, why not? Let's do one more.

6. Dan Williams Like Seattle, Arizona didn't trade up yet still got the player who best fit what it was looking for. Williams is the perfect centerpiece for the Arizona Cardinals' 3-4, the best true nose tackle in the draft. He'll occupy blocks and should be a terror in tandem with Darnell Dockett as he develops. Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt should feel much better about his defense now than he did a few days ago

Kiper: Rounds 2-3 impact players
[/h3][/h1][h3]
[h3]Dexter McCluster leads a pack of Day 2 picks who could make an immediate splash[/h3]
By Mel Kiper Jr.
ESPN Insider
Archive

As much as we put into the NFL draft, there's certainly a misconception about the role rookies can play on really good teams. The jump in technical expertise is significant enough that even the top rookies struggle to contribute for months. Just spend a little time sifting through playoff roster depth charts sometime and you'll get a quick education.

ncf_i_mccluster_300.jpg

Getty ImagesMcCluster can do more than take hand-offs, and the Chiefs knew it when they took him.

That's why, when I looked at guys I felt could make an early impact from the first round of the recent draft, I had to qualify that Ndamukong Suh and Jahvid Best wouldn't just make an impact with the Detroit Lions because the team had so many holes, but because those are guys uniquely skilled and suited to make an impact in a lot of places early in their NFL careers.

With that in mind, here's a look at a handful of players who I think could help their teams very early in their NFL careers and were picked on the second day of the draft in Rounds 2 and 3:

1. Dexter McCluster
This pick surprised a lot of people. Here were the Kansas City Chiefs, drafting early in Round 2 (No. 36), with needs dotting their board. Then they take an undersized running back out of Ole Miss who I think could have gone closer to the late stages of Round 2. McCluster is really miscast as simply the next in a line of guys like Darren Sproles -- small, super-fast, change-of-pace players who break big plays but always seem in jeopardy of taking that one big hit. But the Chiefs can use this guy. And right away.

For one, McCluster can catch the ball. He caught 44 passes last year -- from the undrafted and often inaccurate Jevan Snead -- and can line up in the slot for the Chiefs. At about 175 pounds, he's not a drastically undersized slot guy. What's more, McCluster is tough. He piled up 181 carries last year, including 34 against Oklahoma St. So yes, he won't be used in the slot alone. Think Sproles with better receiving skills. Ultimately, McCluster tops this list because the Chiefs do have holes. In that sense, why take a guy at this stage if you don't plan to utilize him immediately? You can bet Todd Haley and Charlie Weis are already at the drawing board.

2. Koa Misi
Like I wrote Tuesday, I was too hard on the Miami Dolphins in my initial grade, with much of that belief stemming from the pick of Misi. But as I take a closer look both at Misi and the situation he heads to in Miami, I'm far more optimistic. Converting from taking most of his snaps at defensive end in college to staying upright as an 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL isn't going to be a difficult transition for Misi, and his ability to stand up against the run from the end position at Utah suggests he won't be deficient in that area for the Dolphins. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Misi is the starter on the right side of that 3-4 and, playing next to Karlos Dansby -- another guy who converted positions once he got to the NFL -- Misi ought to be a quick learner.

3. Jared Veldheer
If you look at the Oakland Raiders' depth chart, to say you aren't seeing top-level NFL talent at tackle is an understatement. The Raiders clearly agree, as they picked up both Veldheer and fellow workout warrior Bruce Campbell in the draft. But while Veldheer has been pegged a workout warrior and maybe a reach who fits Oakland's draft profile, he's a better player than that. Even accounting for the jump in level, at Division II Hillsdale College he didn't give up a sack in four years as the starter. So his consistency was also notable. He has the athleticism to be converted to the right side, but I'd be shocked if Oakland doesn't give him a good look to start on the left.

4. Emmanuel Sanders
I loved what the Pittsburgh Steelers did in maintaining discipline with their draft board. Even with the departure of Santonio Holmes, the Steelers stuck with the plan to upgrade along the interior of their offensive line with the Maurkice Pouncey pick. And Jason Worilds is a guy they can develop at OLB while he helps a dreadful special-teams unit. But in Round 3, the Steelers grabbed a wideout, Sanders, just as they did last year with Mike Wallace. Now, with Holmes gone, Wallace can assume his role, while Sanders can step into Wallace's as the third receiver. No pressure, but likely production.

5. Jordan Shipley
I said I thought Jermaine Gresham could be an early impact guy, and I think Shipley can do the same. It's easy to say he looks the part of a Wes Welker in the Cincy offense, but that's also because it appears true. Shipley should provide immediate help in the slot and has underrated speed, which will also be seen in the return game. Carson Palmer has a chance to develop a good rhythm with Shipley as linebackers and safeties conspire to cover Gresham and the top opposing defensive backs deal with Chad Ochocinco and Antonio Bryant.
[/h3]

Clayton was sayin similar things that we had a bad draft, all because we didn't get a Nosetackle. 
laugh.gif

I litterally laughed out loud at how stupid he sounded.  He misses that we added defensive players all over the field, got a big offensive lineman to help the run game as well as protect our QB, throw in Marshall and Dansby if you want, and we just deepened our whole damn roster. 

But we didn't draft a Nosetackle, so we had a poor draft. 
eyes.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

That's good Kiper changed his mind. 

Back
Top Bottom