-_- Used Car Shopping Advice -_-

I kno theres dumb car threads, but I figure we could all use some insight on purchasing used vehicles.

For instance Im looking at a car, no M3, and the price & miles are too good to be true. Come to find out it has a rebuilt/revived title. Front bumper & headlights were changed out.

Would any of yall purchase a vehicle with front end damage even if stated there is no engine damage?

Now before I decide to drop the money on a carfax or autocheck, are there any other ways to find out the history of the car on ones own, and which is better for history reports Carfax, Autocheck, or local DMV's?

What are some other tips or things to look out for when whip coppin?

I kno theres dumb car threads, but I figure we could all use some insight on purchasing used vehicles.

For instance Im looking at a car, no M3, and the price & miles are too good to be true. Come to find out it has a rebuilt/revived title. Front bumper & headlights were changed out.

Would any of yall purchase a vehicle with front end damage even if stated there is no engine damage?

Now before I decide to drop the money on a carfax or autocheck, are there any other ways to find out the history of the car on ones own, and which is better for history reports Carfax, Autocheck, or local DMV's?

What are some other tips or things to look out for when whip coppin?

I would bring a mechanic with you. Have them look it over and test drive it. And always lowball with offers. I saved a lot of money low ballin lol.

I would bring a mechanic with you. Have them look it over and test drive it. And always lowball with offers. I saved a lot of money low ballin lol.

Originally Posted by Dead Stokc

Everyone doesnt have mechanics steadily available...

Find one. This could be the difference between you buying a lemon or finding something worthwhile. You said it has a rebult title. I'd make sure to ask the mechanic to inspect for frame damage and whether or not it was repaired properly. Carfax is important too but it doesn't always tell the whole story. My car was involved in an accident that messed up the bumper support and I didn't realize it until after I bought the car. Find a mechanic.

Originally Posted by Dead Stokc

Everyone doesnt have mechanics steadily available...

Find one. This could be the difference between you buying a lemon or finding something worthwhile. You said it has a rebult title. I'd make sure to ask the mechanic to inspect for frame damage and whether or not it was repaired properly. Carfax is important too but it doesn't always tell the whole story. My car was involved in an accident that messed up the bumper support and I didn't realize it until after I bought the car. Find a mechanic.

I got you, OP

First of all, never buy a car without checking it out first. You don't have to be car savy to know the car sucks.

If it's manual transmission, test drive it. Check if the gears get gripped, if not, you're going to spend a lot more than you want to with transmission parts.

It's important that you CHECK THE CARFAX. YOU DO NOT WANT A SALVAGED TITLED CAR EVER. Revived or not, the frame's structural integrity has been tarnished for good. Alignment for the car could be a problem for years to come. Ask for the VIN number of the car and check out the pink slip.

It doesn't matter if parts have been swapped out. Parts go bad, no matter what. The only reason you should be concerned about rebuilt engines is if they did it correctly and if they abused it or not.

When checking out the car, check to see if all the lights are working (brake lights, headlights, gauge lights, etc.). I'm not sure where you live but AC is a must in CA so if the car's AC system doesn't work, it's the worst.

Check out other cars of the same model to compare. I cannot stress this enough, you might like the first car you check out but then the next car you look at might be better.

Negotiate. Negotiate. Negotiate. Socialize with the seller, if you're cool, he might give you a discount. I got my 240 for cheaper than what seller was looking for.

I got you, OP

First of all, never buy a car without checking it out first. You don't have to be car savy to know the car sucks.

If it's manual transmission, test drive it. Check if the gears get gripped, if not, you're going to spend a lot more than you want to with transmission parts.

It's important that you CHECK THE CARFAX. YOU DO NOT WANT A SALVAGED TITLED CAR EVER. Revived or not, the frame's structural integrity has been tarnished for good. Alignment for the car could be a problem for years to come. Ask for the VIN number of the car and check out the pink slip.

It doesn't matter if parts have been swapped out. Parts go bad, no matter what. The only reason you should be concerned about rebuilt engines is if they did it correctly and if they abused it or not.

When checking out the car, check to see if all the lights are working (brake lights, headlights, gauge lights, etc.). I'm not sure where you live but AC is a must in CA so if the car's AC system doesn't work, it's the worst.

Check out other cars of the same model to compare. I cannot stress this enough, you might like the first car you check out but then the next car you look at might be better.

Negotiate. Negotiate. Negotiate. Socialize with the seller, if you're cool, he might give you a discount. I got my 240 for cheaper than what seller was looking for.

^^^^
I'm also looking into buying a car soon so that this thread helps out a lot. Especially that post.
I'm interested in a 1998 528i bmw, would any NT'rs have any advice for buying a car like that?
thanks in advance.

^^^^
I'm also looking into buying a car soon so that this thread helps out a lot. Especially that post.
I'm interested in a 1998 528i bmw, would any NT'rs have any advice for buying a car like that?
thanks in advance.

anyone have questions about buying used or new cars contact me. im a Finance Manager at a Ford Dealership, and i was a salesman for 5 years before i got into finance. shoot me an email dmaisonet@jcflm.com i see what happens to people who dont ask the right questions everyday. so i'd be more than happy to help anyone.

anyone have questions about buying used or new cars contact me. im a Finance Manager at a Ford Dealership, and i was a salesman for 5 years before i got into finance. shoot me an email dmaisonet@jcflm.com i see what happens to people who dont ask the right questions everyday. so i'd be more than happy to help anyone.

Originally Posted by solemunchies

Great post.

@dboulders I'll be hitting u up.

Im specifically looking for an Altima SE-R 05-06. The car being so hard to find, Im willing to travel to other states to get it, thats where the problem for me finding a reliable mechanic comes into play.

Great post.

@dboulders I'll be hitting u up.

Im specifically looking for an Altima SE-R 05-06. The car being so hard to find, Im willing to travel to other states to get it, thats where the problem for me finding a reliable mechanic comes into play.

Im always picky when buying a car, the title has to be clean, decent miles, no more then 2 owners, has to have a/c and p/s (mines doenst
mad.gif
)

but then again thats like 1 out of 1000000 240sx in FL
smh.gif

Im always picky when buying a car, the title has to be clean, decent miles, no more then 2 owners, has to have a/c and p/s (mines doenst
mad.gif
)

but then again thats like 1 out of 1000000 240sx in FL
smh.gif

I got you, OP

I agree with you to never touch a Salvage titled car. The only case where I would check out a salvaged car is if it was deemed salvage due to theft. A theft salvage car can always be put back together...but anything with structural damage is out of the question.

I got you, OP

I agree with you to never touch a Salvage titled car. The only case where I would check out a salvaged car is if it was deemed salvage due to theft. A theft salvage car can always be put back together...but anything with structural damage is out of the question.

Back
Top Bottom