After watching BAD 25,....

I kinda see Kanye West like MJ in CERTAIN ways. Both very childish for good and bad. Highly imaginative, innovative, ground breaking, and very direct at what they looking for. Both ush the envelope and look at the fine details and took the genres to another level. Ye will never be as big as MJ tho, no one prolly ever will my imo. Dude has ppl passing out at rapid rates. Forget screamin, blacking out needin medical attention. Bad lp beyond classic.

I agree but people are going to crucify you.

No artist has the musical innovation sense in this generation that Kanye has . . .

Kinda sorta agree but don't agree, Iono how to explain except I'm not against it but I'm not all the way into it.

Considering that MJ grew up in the business so his growth was stunted, I'm going to agree but disagree. Kanye went through some trying times but I don't feel like anyone needs to act like he does at times.  Both of them are musical geniuses though.  

NT is something else when it comes to Kanye...

exactly. I mean Kanye is a very talented artist and have put out some classic albums, but I think some of y'all give him WAY too much credit and praise sometimes to the point where it's way overboard. I remember someone made a post on here a while ago talking about Kanye West is the voice of this generation :smh:. c'mon man

Last edited:

exactly. I mean Kanye is a very talented artist and have put out some classic albums, but I think some of y'all give him WAY too much credit and praise sometimes to the point where it's way overboard. I remember someone made a post on here a while ago talking about Kanye West is the voice of this generation :smh:. c'mon man

I agree with OP about MJ being >> Kanye. Maybe 'Ye catches him, maybe he doesn't. And I'm still undecided as to whether Kanye is the voice of this generation.

But I have to ask: if you disagree so vehemently, why? I've heard a million arguments in support of this viewpoint, but not many against it. I'm genuinely interested.

I can see the similarities but Ye' will never be MJ ever hell no one will ever be MJ EVER. Not to mention it's well known that Ye' like many of us was greatly influenced by MJ. I do agree that Ye' is the voice of this generation though.

I agree with OP about MJ being >> Kanye. Maybe 'Ye catches him, maybe he doesn't. And I'm still undecided as to whether Kanye is the voice of this generation.

But I have to ask: if you disagree so vehemently, why? I've heard a million arguments in support of this viewpoint, but not many against it. I'm genuinely interested.

To me, when you say voice of a generation I think of someone who is a inspirational and motivational leader. someone that stands for a certain cause to uplift a community. kinda a Public Enemy or Tupac. and Kanye is not that type of dude IMO. he's very egotistical and moody. he's only outspoken when something doesn't go his way and he complains like a child. what benefit does anyone get from that? I mean why is Kanye the voice of this generation? is it because he said George Bush doesn't care about black people on live tv? because he went on tirade because beyonce didn't win an award at the MTV awards live on stage? because he always whine and complain whenever he doesn't win a grammy? or is it because of his fashion sense? to me none of those thing make you a voice of anything. I haven't even seen or heard an interview from Kanye West in 2 years so how could he be the voice when he's been quiet for so long. All i see from him is pictures with Kim K. Maybe i'm thinking way too deep into it but that's just how I feel about the whole thing.

To me, when you say voice of a generation I think of someone who is a inspirational and motivational leader. someone that stands for a certain cause to uplift a community. kinda a Public Enemy or Tupac. and Kanye is not that type of dude IMO. he's very egotistical and moody. he's only outspoken when something doesn't go his way and he complains like a child. what benefit does anyone get from that? I mean why is Kanye the voice of this generation? is it because he said George Bush doesn't care about black people on live tv? because he went on tirade because beyonce didn't win an award at the MTV awards live on stage? because he always whine and complain whenever he doesn't win a grammy? or is it because of his fashion sense? to me none of those thing make you a voice of anything. I haven't even seen or heard an interview from Kanye West in 2 years so how could he be the voice when he's been quiet for so long. All i see from him is pictures with Kim K. Maybe i'm thinking way too deep into it but that's just how I feel about the whole thing.

and that is why this generation would call him their voice.

Doubt there will ever be anyone to reach MJ level....but to discredit Kanye's influence on pop culture the last 10 or so years is foolish.

Kanye gets this praise because he did the smart thing and updated what was classic about Hip-Hop. There's no denying that. He studied what made late 80's and early 90's hip hop so dope and took it to the next level. But to say he's something like Michael Jackson or some positive leader of this generation is wrong. Watching that Bad 25, Michael made "Man in the Mirror", Kanye has done nothing like that whatsoever. All he's done is cry about the man he sees in the mirror. Is Kanye dope, of course. Will he go down as a legend, I'm sure he will. But he will not be legendary like what Michael is.

Someone will counter and say "What about Jesus walks?" I cant remember the last time I heard that song, I dont think it has the lasting power of man in the mirror. That song almost makes me cry its so powerful.

wow. cats cant just take things at face value no more. let me make this clear:

SIMILARITIES
child-like
attention to detail
decisive
artistic
dramatic/ theatrical
perfectionists
polarizing

differences
race, lol
records sold
reach
cant think of anymore, sure the're there tho.

the similarities just jumped out at me as I watchin so i mentioned it to see if anyone else could see it.
No one will ever be anyone else cus everyone has unique dna. I dislike those arguments. But I see a
similar passion for musical exellence in both artists. all i was tryna express

Last edited:
Kanye went through some trying times but I don't feel like anyone needs to act like he does at times.   
He had a car accident and lost his mom after he was rich. I don't see what's so hard about that life.

Watching that Bad 25, Michael made "Man in the Mirror", Kanye has done nothing like that whatsoever. All he's done is cry about the man he sees in the mirror
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

heres a list of prominent acts of the 80's , kanye wouldnt crack the top 20

prince

michael jackson

whitney houston

stevie wonder

lionel richie

U2

bruce springsteen

van halen

the police

jon bon jovi

phil collins

aerosmith

guns n roses

r.e.m

rod stewart

journey

watched it. real good. have a greater appreciating for MJ.. Man in the Mirror is amazing

Last edited:
very good documentary by Spike Lee

I don't see any similarities in MJ and Kanye

Kanye seems more into himself, MJ seemed like he was about everyone else and not himself

that is what made him great, I like Kanye's music, but he is to arrogant to be on that level, he has gotten worse through each album in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom