Air Jordan 5 "Grape" MAY 4th, 2013 - $160

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the numbers will be the same as Fire Reds but the demand will be slightly hire than the Bred 11's
I also believe the numbers will be around the same as the FR, but i dont believe these will have a higher demand than bred 11s, everyone and their grandmas go after 11s every christmas and are the most sought after release of every year. These will have alot more hype than the recently released FR5s but not as much as the bred 11s

I also believe the numbers will be around the same as the FR, but i dont believe these will have a higher demand than bred 11s, everyone and their grandmas go after 11s every christmas and are the most sought after release of every year. These will have alot more hype than the recently released FR5s but not as much as the bred 11s

You could be right but this is one of the best releases this year. I see people holding back money on other releases to drop on this. I've copped almost every release so far and this shoe aside from the 3 Cement NA really excites me.

just an FYI, the 2006 pairs, ended up in OUTLETS!

Probably the smaller sizes did.

yep, must have been smaller sizes...in 2006 i had luckily got my hands on 2 pairs in my size range back then of 10.5-11...ended up grabbing 2 more size 11's later on since this was one of the first i had as a kid when OG dropped...my neighbour is the one that got me hooked from the OG jordan 4 black/cg/red and these were my second pair of jordans

Last edited:
here it is, these were all from an "outlet"

WOW :pimp:

I find the constant quality debates hilarious. Here's my thing: when I played hoops in 8-14 OGs, the quality wasn't very good for basketball. They were Jordans, but there was early toebox separation on numerous pairs I had (namely IX and XIII). My Cherry XII's midsole leather bled all over the place making the white upper a nasty light red (same thing to a lesser degree on the XIII). The foam teeth on the XIV? Almost immediate separation followed by chipping.

I loved Jordans but even during those days it was apparent they were better to rock casually than play basketball in.

Today the materials being used are of lesser quality, which is pretty standard for most mass produced sneakers from Nike, Adidas and Reebok. People think these new lightweight materials Nike BB uses are for performance, but they're just as much to cut costs. Less leather means cheaper plastics and synthetics and higher profit margins. Leather costs way more today than it did a decade or two decades ago.

So when I'm casually rocking Jordans now, do I need them to have quality that is on par with what it was 20 years ago? Experience tells me no. Harder leather with a synthetic clear coat on top doesn't bother me because as I've casually worn the shoes they haven't fallen apart or even creased in any ugly way. For casual wear my experience is that most retros hold up well and even better than OG pairs when I factor in how I was using them then vs now. Other than the 2006 Military Blues I don't have one retro in my collection of 60+ that has quickly started to break and fall apart on me.

Defects from the factory are another issue, but that's been an issue of quality control since the original days too! Why did MJ have all his once-worn pairs made special in a separate factory? To ensure him better quality pairs than the public was getting.

These FR and Grape V's look good, and they're comfortable (granted I always use my own inserts). Is it full grain, top quality leather? Nope, but I don't see that adding anything to the life of a casually worn shoe like this. These will last as long as I plan to wear them and they will for most people!

As much as what you're saying is true and accurate, and it is your opinion as far as the quality goes.

When I speak of quality, I am mainly talking about the overall comfort of the shoes out of the box. I'm paying over 100 dollars for sneakers that need an insole insert to be put inside of them? (Extra things added to a luxury product?) To me, that sounds absolutely ridiculous. Would you buy a Lamborghini and expect it to need an engine upgrade to hit 0-60 in less than 10 seconds? A Honda Civic could do that.

One of the reasons I wear Jordans is to walk comfortably. If I wanted to walk around on cardboard (Literally, the Varsity Red VI have cardboard under the "insole"), I'd walk around in slippers or I'd go barefoot. I'd find no need in spending this much money on sneakers. When I wear my DMP VI, I feel like I'm walking on a cloud... if all these new releases just FELT like that on feet again, I'd be going nuts over all these OG colorways finally being retrod.

The leather quality and everything else holding up also is an issue considering that they do fall apart from casual wearing nowadays a lot faster than they used to. I'm not asking for top shelf quality, because I know it would come with the price of being "limited out the #$#". I'm just asking for something that will not make me shake my head. The Thunder IVs were the first pair of Jordans I've bought in a long while that I've actually held in my hands and thought "Not bad. :nerd:". I'm very happy with them.

For those younger and newer guys that just got into all of this, realize that what is being released now is just a fraction of the "quality" (whatever the definition of that is to the newer people) that we used to receive / should be receiving. To those who thought that the leather on the Fire Red Vs that just retrod was anywhere over mediocre, I shake my head at you and feel very sorry that you don't know the true meaning in the saying of "Quality inspired by the greatest player ever."

Told myself I wasn't gonna post in here to much cause may seems so far but, this is one of my most anticipated JB releases of the year, look forward to copping and rocking! I hope other ill V's release this year too.

Grape V's are crack. Definitely copping, looking forward to it. Will be curious to see the quality on these though

To those who thought that the leather on the Fire Red Vs that just retrod was anywhere over mediocre, I shake my head at you and feel very sorry that you don't know the true meaning in the saying of "Quality inspired by the greatest player ever."

But see, that's always been the joke. These were never Lambos. People don't seem to get this, but if you want something truly high quality for sneakers, you aren't going to get them from Nike. "Quality inspired by the greatest player ever" is classic Nike. It's just marketing and BS. MJ didn't even wear the same shoes the public was wearing when they WERE originals. You think he believes his shoes were of the highest quality then or now? I think he must just laugh at how gullible the public has and continues to be toward anything with him on it.

Last edited:
But see, that's always been the joke. These were never Lambos. People don't seem to get this, but if you want something truly high quality for sneakers, you aren't going to get them from Nike. "Quality inspired by the greatest player ever" is classic Nike. It's just marketing and BS. MJ didn't even wear the same shoes the public was wearing when they WERE originals. You think he believes his shoes were of the highest quality then or now? I think he must just laugh at how gullible the public has and continues to be toward anything with him on it.

Of course he didn't wear the same shoes the public was wearing, just like NBA players don't now. A lot more people played basketball in originals than they do in these retros. Combine an increase in quality / technology in other basketball shoes with a decline in quality / stagnant technology in Jordan retros and you can see how far behind anyone is if they're playing basketball in the retros sold in shoe stores.

Yeah, the saying is marketing- but it was somewhat accurate in the creation of the original sneakers. That saying on the OG XIIs.. those things are nothing short of tanks and feel great when wearing casually.

He is laughing.. not at the people who buy shoes that they like and that they enjoy, but at the people who buy anything that JB puts out there. Those Fire Red Vs were a prime example of JB laughing at your faces. They threw out an original colorway, used crappy leather that was a disgrace to any GR, raised the price since they retrod in decency, and still sold out with hype all around them. Why? Because they know people will buy them regardless.. because they have his name on it, Kanye's name, Colin Kaepernick, and the name of all of these celebrities and idols that JB gets to wear these on them. It creates a false sense of style and "swag" with all these kids walking around in skinny jeans w/ matching snapbacks talkin bout "I got them jays tho".

Two things that I need for that quote to hold meaning again-"Quality inspired by the greatest player ever" - are simple.
1.) Decent leather, durabuck, nubuck, suede, patent leather, or anything else that they want to use
and 2.) Good cushioning and comfort.

That's when I'll shut my mouth about quality complaints. If we weren't getting quality back then for $100, what the hell are we getting now for $180 or $200?

I believe it was confirmed that this photo was shopped. 
+1 !  

If you look closely, the shoes are all turned at the exact same angle and the lids on the boxes show the exact same reflection of the bottom of the shoes, even though the lighting is different at a different areas of the room! lol 
roll.gif

retiring from the cement 3 thread will check on here until like april hopefully it does not become hype and stupid.

I believe it was confirmed that this photo was shopped. 
+1 !  

If you look closely, the shoes are all turned at the exact same angle and the lids on the boxes show the exact same reflection of the bottom of the shoes, even though the lighting is different at a different areas of the room! lol 
roll.gif

Not really. Reflections are not the same at all and the tongues and lace locks on each aren't placed the same either.

I just don't get some people. If the shoes are in your opinion sh*tty quality, why are you even coming into JB threads? If I had a problem with a certain shoe, trust I would not be in any threads about said shoe.

I just don't get some people. If the shoes are in your opinion sh*tty quality, why are you even coming into JB threads? If I had a problem with a certain shoe, trust I would not be in any threads about said shoe.
JB quality will never be what it once was but some releases are better than others. I like to see what others who have the pair in their hands are saying about the quality. The Varsity red 6 leather was decent but a very similar shoe which released close to it, the infrared 6 had stiff plastic like leather. I'm hoping the grapes have a soft leather unlike the recent fire red 5's. I agree with u, no real point to complain here. We talk with our wallets...

I pre-ordered a pair and I'm gonna buy a pair from my connect who says that his shipment should be coming in a week

I'll post pictures once I get them in my hand :smokin

Not really. Reflections are not the same at all and the tongues and lace locks on each aren't placed the same either.

He might have had 1 pair and taken a couple of different shots.. then mixed around the different shots so it's not like all one shot in one simultaneous row. Pic doesn't look natural to me. And I'm a graphic designer so idk. Or maybe I'm salty. LOL

these those jerry seinfeld joints hmmmmmmmm shouts outs to the sitcom....................

cats on staten island been fiending for these ever since back when ghostface had rocked them during the ironman era when he done put the wallys away and was rockin these purple and emerald green joints, he later told me they inspired his R n B album ghost deini the wizard of poetry in emerald city

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom