Amazon is buying Whole Foods for $13.7 billion

When I hear this I was like "woah!"

I've only used Amazon maybe 4 times in my life. And never been to a Whole Foods as well. So this won't effect me at all.

But in cash....DAMN!

ive only 1 thing ever on Amazon i have no idea how they gotten so huge :lol:

ive always been loyal to ebay.

Last edited:
Team make a new email every month for prime haha
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

seriously, how are these companies allowed to get this big?

Amazon owns Whole Foods, Disney owns ABC, ESPN, Marvel and Star Wars, Comcast owns NBC and essentially the city of Philadelphia.

it's ******* obscene.

its called capitalism B

but funny how the gov stopped that ATT and Tmobile merge a few years back for $39 billion

And that was absolutely the right call. Cell phone providers now actually compete. If that merger when through it would have set up a de facto duopoly. They could then indirectly coordinate to screw consumers

Regulators don't just look at how big a company gets, but what effect it will have on the market.

Amazon is a huge company but they don't have a true monopoly book in really any of the markets they compete in

-However, this is not an endorsement of big business. If I could wave a magic wand I would break up a ton of companies. Our liberal politicians and federal courts are too sympathetic to the "struggles" of big business

Last edited:
ive only 1 thing ever on Amazon i have no idea how they gotten so huge :lol:

ive always been loyal to ebay.

Nah fam you gotta switch to Amazon especially Prime. I can't do eBay and the slow shipping no more.

eBay still goat on very specific items but honestly Amazon got it all.

seriously, how are these companies allowed to get this big?

Amazon owns Whole Foods, Disney owns ABC, ESPN, Marvel and Star Wars, Comcast owns NBC and essentially the city of Philadelphia.

it's ******* obscene.
ILLUMINATI
I remember reading Amazon making physical stores where you literally just go and pick up the items you need and walk out. It's all going to be automated through the Amazon App. So no more cashiers or physical cash.
Amazon just opened a bookstore just like that here in NY. 

its cool that a tech company is branching into new industries, but i don't see how anything changes, for now at least...

the bigger disruptor to the grocery game is the Lidl's North American entry, and Aldi's aggressive expansion...

Last edited:
This play was for the infrastructure Whole Foods provides.

Retail spots on every other corner allow Amazon to aggressively ramp up their produce/grocery service (delivery and retail) and will, in due time, allow them to transform some of these locations into their new clerkless-grocery store business model.

Last edited:
Guess what happens when Amazon runs everyone out of business? Prices go up. We will be reminiscing of the days when an Avocado was 3$.....

The market cap of Whole Foods is incredibly small compared to large grocers. I don't think they'll be running anyone out of business for the near future.

Local or regional grocers already survived the super Walmart /super target/ neighborhood Walmart wave. I don't see this changing much. Their apples are still a dollar more than a couple of other places that have them for 99c/lb constantly. So a $3 to $2 drop is nice but people are already getting values elsewhere.

Local or regional grocers already survived the super Walmart /super target/ neighborhood Walmart wave. I don't see this changing much. Their apples are still a dollar more than a couple of other places that have them for 99c/lb constantly. So a $3 to $2 drop is nice but people are already getting values elsewhere.
So Grocery business is immune to automation huh.....

The home delivery/pick up in store amazon prime option may change things dramatically. That's where the biggest change will be. But on a strict price front, they are now priced more affordably and more in line with other places. Prices alone will not make other places close up shop. WF would need to cut prices on everything before I see smaller regional places closing up.

I've actually seen this same scenario play out with the beer and wine field. Total wine moves in with lower prices. Mom and pop shops close up. Soon, TW raises their prices. So I get your point. The grocery market seems more competitive though.

Way higher margin on wine and alcohol versus standard grocery.

We all know Amazon will operate at losses for revenue growth but I think this is about more prime memberships and future delivery /neighborhood style versus taking out Safeway Albertsons et al

Never really got my groceries from Whole Foods. If I do it's to hit up their hot bar + beverages. Even then, it's been years since I've gone.

Way higher margin on wine and alcohol versus standard grocery.

We all know Amazon will operate at losses for revenue growth but I think this is about more prime memberships and future delivery /neighborhood style versus taking out Safeway Albertsons et al
I think it's both, Whole Foods has limited locations, but all locations are prime real estate within major hubs.

Will Walmart close in Lancaster PA? No....but the Walmart in Philly should be nervous.... Amazon is strategic about population densities, and once they take over these markets they will have little incentive to keep prices low....

Back
Top Bottom