America restaurant bubble is about to pop vol: the end of another golden age

No offense but if put it this way, you have a good job and good a great place and your paying an ok price for where you live and the housing market is booming and all of a sudden the bank or your land lord says you know what we're gonna raise your mortgage or rent by double...

I know with a business it's different but still just because it's established means they have the means to up and move? Not sure

But a restaurant I know of was a great local spot that was packed and family oriented and was in the same location for about 20+ years then the landlord decided to increase the rent by a lot! Ended up closing down and a new big time pizza chain took over the spot and opened up, guess what, closed down in a year because the location was terrible, the whole strip is actually pretty bad

Funny how that works, when a business in thriving in a ****** location and ****** strip no one visits other than for a business, now what is that landlord getting [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Yeah it sucks but it happens when you're in business. We had this old school burger joint and about 20+ years there at that spot in a great location by the beach in So Cal. During the weekends a gang of classic cars would have meet ups there. Then the prices on their menu started skyrocketing probably due to the rising cost of operating a restaurant by the beach, and more and more people stop going there cause of the price per Yelp reviews. Then a couple years ago it finally closed down and a Popeyes Chicken replaced it. Every time I drive by that Popeyes... it's dead so yeah stories like yours and mine are becoming more and more common. Landlords are just doing what they been doing which is charging fair market value.

Many of the good Asian and Latino restaurants that couldn't afford rent any longer in SF have disappeared from the city and have been replaced by trash white-washed restaurants that charge double/triple for the same type of food and lure in customers with a nice or hipster decor. The new restaurants can survive because all the Midwesterners with no taste buds have moved into the neighborhoods and do things like pay $10 for a garbage banh mi sandwich, when you can get the real thing (which tastes 100x better) for $3-4 in the South and East Bay.

I literally never go out to eat in SF anymore, even though I still live only 20 mins away after moving out.
I've been saying this for years....the proliferation and appropriation of ethnic cultures by American chefs is the problem.  

This culture vulturing of Viet/Mexican/etc cuisines is sort of like gentrification when the yuppies start moving in.  It's a sign that things will never be the same.  
They steal the food culture, charge outrageous prices (but they can, because their clientele will eat it up), and never contribute or donate anything back to the culture they stole from.  

Then, when the fad runs its course, all that's left in the wake are closed restaurants.  I don't feel bad at all.  

I called out so many "celebrity" chefs in Chicago on social media, and none of them even had any type of replies to my inquiries.  They'll continue to pillage other ethnic cultures and won't give a damn thing back as per the usual. 

I'm talking to you RICK BAYLESS, STEPHANIE IZZARD, ANDY RICKER, etc. 

Small businesses 9/10 are not closing doors because of minimum wage being increased fairly. Its because they POS building owners That bought the strip for 400K are charging the businesses double, triple, and sometimes quadruple the rent than previous years. So many mom and pop places around me are closing doors and not a single one has said it's because now they have to pay their employees $2 more an hour. its because their food sucks, they can't afford rent anymore, or they're deciding to retire

Many of the good Asian and Latino restaurants that couldn't afford rent any longer in SF have disappeared from the city and have been replaced by trash white-washed restaurants that charge double/triple for the same type of food and lure in customers with a nice or hipster decor. The new restaurants can survive because all the Midwesterners with no taste buds have moved into the neighborhoods and do things like pay $10 for a garbage banh mi sandwich, when you can get the real thing (which tastes 100x better) for $3-4 in the South and East Bay.

I literally never go out to eat in SF anymore, even though I still live only 20 mins away after moving out.

a lot of these places are starting to close as well, but there will always be new ones to move in.
once ppl are tired of paying for $50 toast and eggs, they'll move on to some other trendy spot

It's like some sort of abused mentality that Americans have, blame your underpaid employee, not the predatory landlord. I'm trying to figure out when the mentality to blame poor people for the nation's ills began.

Sometime B.C.

It's easier to wage a war on the poor and less fortunate than those w/ money

This girl told me she'd take me to get good pho and took me to bowls & rolls :x
Like chipotle except for pho and banh mi :frown:

Depending on how much property a landlord owns, a vacant building can provide a loss that creates enough of a tax deduction that it can actually raise the profitability of the landlord's aggregate holdings.

The concentration of wealth is, once again, a big part of the problem.

Explains why a developer would rather let a storefront sit vacant than rent it for less than the local market rate.

As my father once told me, you can never be poor if you own land.

It's like some sort of abused mentality that Americans have, blame your underpaid employee, not the predatory landlord. I'm trying to figure out when the mentality to blame poor people for the nation's ills began.

Since classes were invented.

Which means since currency was invented.

It's SO much easier to blame the little guy.

Don't have to blame us for your restaurants going out of business. 
laugh.gif

This girl told me she'd take me to get good pho and took me to bowls & rolls :x
Like chipotle except for pho and banh mi :frown:

I was walking past a Vietnamese restaurant on Polk Street the other day, and it had the hipster decor and a description of "Rustic Vietnamese Cuisine". I don't know what the hell that even means and didn't even look at the menu, because I knew it would just make me become upset :lol:

Hahah right, that's the only thing I didn't agree with in his post. 

Come to Chicago, the food is on another level here. 

I didn't blame Midwesterners for restaurants going out of business, and I'm not talking about people from Chicago as Chicago is more like an East Coast city that happens to be located in the Midwest. I'm talking about people from Iowa, Wyoming, Nebraska, etc. (which my company and many of the tech startups I consulted for are full of) supporting the new restaurants that water down the taste and charge 3x the price of an authentic spot. That is all

I was walking past a Vietnamese restaurant on Polk Street the other day, and it had the hipster decor and a description of "Rustic Vietnamese Cuisine". I don't know what the hell that even means and didn't even look at the menu, because I knew it would just make me become upset
laugh.gif
What really pisses me off is when they steal the Banh Mi and put it on their menu, and spell it Bahn Mi. 
If you're stealing an ethnic food item and Americanizing it, least you can do is spell it right.  

I didn't blame Midwesterners for restaurants going out of business, and I'm not talking about people from Chicago as Chicago is more like an East Coast city that happens to be located in the Midwest. I'm talking about people from Iowa, Wyoming, Nebraska, etc. (which my company and many of the tech startups I consulted for are full of) supporting the new restaurants that water down the taste and charge 3x the price of an authentic spot. That is all
That i can agree with LOL

Just the watering down of ethnic foods to meet the weak palettes of Americans....I HATE THAT.  

That i can agree with LOL

Just the watering down of ethnic foods to meet the weak palettes of Americans....I HATE THAT.  

I guess it makes sense though. When I flew to Nebraska for work, even the major cities (Lincoln and Omaha) had very few non-white restaurants in the whole city. If you grew up eating nothing but bread and sausage your whole life (most of their cuisine is like that due to a large German-American population) and then moved to a diverse area like the Bay Area, even the most trash ethnic food will taste good to you, and you'll be willing to pay a premium for it.

It just sucks for us locals that grew up on the real @#$@, and now we have to drive an extra 20-30 minutes for it because most of the new restaurants are catered towards the population I mentioned :lol: Thankfully the part of the Bay Area I now live in has many good Japanese and Chinese restaurants, and I live 25 minutes away from Korea Town and 30 from Little Saigon.

Last edited:
Word.

Never been to any of those places, but I know Minneapolis has some good food...depending on what you're looking for of course.
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom