Any 25 & over NTers Already In School Or Planning On Going Back?

25 here planning on taking a English class
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by FREAKSHOW

im 22. did 2 terms and left.. i dont get aide and i  gotta help out my mom.. but you CANT give up.. in this world/life education is everything.. i rather be broke with a degree and education....

my degrees keeps me satisfied !!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

26 tryna get my masters in sports administration next spring. but gotta take the GRE
30t6p3b.gif
plus im looking at attending school back home in atlanta since i went away for undergrad.

Still young at 22. Have had a crappy past few years but I need to get back in the game and complete my education!

25. I'm not interested in post grad at all, but might go since my employer will pay for that.

Originally Posted by TheTrillipino

I'm 23, and I've been out of college since I got my bachelor's degree in 2010.  I'm currently working part time at Wal-Mart and recently had to resign my accounting job at the Commissary because of several factors.  Still looking for a full-time job as far as my field is concerned.  I've been doing my very best improving my resume, getting interview tips, and repolishing my accounting skills ever since I graduated.

I have finished taking the GMAT earlier this month, got a good enough score to get in the Master of Accountancy program at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, and submitted my application and other necessary documents to get into the program.  Now I'm waiting to hear back from admissions, probably next week.  I've decided to go back to school to help further my chances in getting a job.  It's tough.
30t6p3b.gif

congrats on passing the GMAT! I just graduated with a BA in Accounting (graduated winter term) and I can't find a job, granted I have been looking for about 2 weeks but I have no experience in my field.

I just completed the first year of my master's program---I'm a teacher so I was just waiting on the opportunity for me to go for free....

Which not only did I find an 1) online program from a 2) reputable school (University of Houston) that is 3) free, but 4) these fools are actually paying ME! Over the course of two years I will have acquired 5k from them for "travel expenses" when I travel to Houston
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The best part? I LIVE IN DALLAS AND IT'S ONLY A 3 HOUR DRIVE.
fyeah.jpg

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

laugh.gif
I hope and wish you do it but tryna save $50k over 3yrs that's gonna be tough fam, goodluck.

not if I move home or find a foodstamp queen that can feed me.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I'm over 25 and fall in this category.  I'm 26 years old, and will be 27 years old when I get my MBA this December.  The MBA will be my 2nd master's degree.  My BS and MS were in a scientific field.  I work full time and go to school in the evening and weekend full time.  It is definitely tough and time consuming, but I love every minute of it.  I haven't gone out socially since I took my vacation last summer, but in the long run it will exponentially pay off. 

I am trying to make myself as marketable as possible and currently I'm scanning the markets, both abroad and local for the best plans for myself and my immediate family.

I truly believe that you set your own destiny, and education is a never ending process.  If you are truly inspired and determined, you will find a way to get it done. 

I'm 32 and about 6 hours away from my BA in Film. I was supposed to finish in the spring of 06, but ended up at LSU for Fall 05 after Katrina and I've been working full time ever since. Sucks that the last few classes I need aren't available as online courses and I've never found the time to take a few days off and go to campus to speak with an advisor to see if I couldn't just dump my credits into a General Studies degree since I've got far more hours than I need.

At this point though I don't see myself ever going into film since I'm a bit long in the tooth to be PAing for anyone and my career goals have shifted. I do want to finish at some point though, especially since my parents and even my fiancee's parents have told me they'd help me out financially to finish school. I just don't want to quit my job now while the job market is still crap (and it helps that I like working on the periphery of the legal world).

I turned 27 last month and I'm currently studying for my GMATs. I'm trying to go for a Master of International Affairs focusing on economic and political development. I've been full time in a finance/accounting role in a big bank for the past 4 years and I hate it...couldn't see myself doing it for the rest of my laugh. I'm glad I got work some experience to find my true interest as opposed to just going straight for my MBA.

pimp.gif
@ all the responses.

I'm 28 and I'm currently studying to get my CCNA cert. once I get that I should be able to land a decent paying job and should be able to finish up my associates (I have a year worth of classes yet and 67 credits so far) and move up from there. Looking back, I should've finished it all then but I was young and dumb BS'n around. But like homeboy said, it's never too late to finish up. So that's what I'm going to do.

I went back about a year and a half ago. Turning 27 in a couple of weeks and almost done with my AA. Time to look for transfer options...

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

26. Have thought about going back but damn I hate school.
This. I prefer for my employer to pay for it though.

Gotta get employed first though
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Retro23J

ohwell.gif

i hear about this alot. how do you find programs like this?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by SonOfTony

pimp.gif
@ all the responses.

I'm 28 and I'm currently studying to get my CCNA cert. once I get that I should be able to land a decent paying job and should be able to finish up my associates (I have a year worth of classes yet and 67 credits so far) and move up from there. Looking back, I should've finished it all then but I was young and dumb BS'n around. But like homeboy said, it's never too late to finish up. So that's what I'm going to do.
With a combination of screwing up a bit and switching majors, it took me 6 years to earn my BS.  I wish I can go back in time and tell myself to buckle down from the start.  That 2 extra years could've helped me land a job that pays 25-35% more than my current one, though I'm not starving by any mean.

The truth is that not everyone can or want to pursue higher education because not everyone can become doctors and lawyers.  There's gotta be the blue collar folks, white collar folks, and the affluent group.  But in a country like America, if you want to achieve something, your chances are a heck of a lot higher than other countries around the world.

RE:  Being educated and broke, as long as you have proper education in some field, I doubt you will be broke.  You may not be rich, but sooner or later you will be comfortable.  Not everyone wants to be rich as well.  There are a lot of highly educated folks who are happy with living comfortably. 

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by Retro23J

ohwell.gif

i hear about this alot. how do you find programs like this?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
A lot of companies out there value higher education, even if what you're going after may not be related to the field you work in.  However, due to the current economy state, many companies cut back on such offering.  Companies such as Boeing were notoriously generously in this department.  They would pay for your school regardless of the price, and in return I believe you had to work 2 years after your graduation for them.  Nowadays, many firms have a cap of some sort, ie $10k a year or your continued study must relate to your line of work some how.  And of course this is only for graduate programs.  You need a BS/BA first to land the job with the aforementioned benefit.

The offering should be listed under benefits when you apply.  It's one of the few things a company can utilize to set itself apart from its competitors and retain the valued employee for the long run.

You must perform in a God like manner to obtain even a 5% yearly raise.  An educated person with enough experience will not stick around a firm for long at this rate.  He/she will work at that firm for a couple of years and make the jump to a new company, which will generally be a 20-30% pay increase...a lot more than the measly 5%/year at best.  This is exactly what I did.  After I had the experience at my first employer, I didn't get a good enough raise, and I left for a significantly higher pay elsewhere.  Tthe old company lost an employee as a direct cost and indirectly will have to spend money to train a new person to replace me in the mean time.  Offering of this is designed to combat the employees from leaving, especially if he/she is interested in going back to school.

I went back to get my B.S. when I was 25 and ended up being the youngest person in all of my classes.
laugh.gif

I plan to go back for my master's after I find an employer to pay for it.

i want to go back to school. I had to quit in 2006 so help my mom out and started working full time. Then my store closed and I got moved to another store and got knocked down to part time. I got burnt out on my major and want to switch to another one.

I don't post on this board regularly anymore, but I want to share this advice with the OP and anyone else who is determined to make it. I still use this advice to ensure my short term goals are reached. It was told by a close professor I had.

Set your goal and objective for the next 3-5 years. Write down ways you can reach the goal and objective. Be realistic. Stay determined and focused. When you feel like you're drifting away, revisit the plan to get back on track. Lastly, socialize with those that are like you and supportive of you.

An example may be: I plan to get my bachelor's in the next 3-5 years. In order to reach that goal, I can't work full time anymore because classes are getting harder so I need to drop down to 20 hours a week at max. This means my income will be less so I need to stop buying clothes, going out so much.

I know it sounds simple and corny, but it really does work.

Good luck to the OP and those who are on the grind!

Back
Top Bottom