Any Golfers on NT?

dont you guys work? How you get in 18 on a weekday all the time?

My work schedule has sucked but starting Monday I go back to a 6-2:30 shift. Considering it doesn't get dark here til almost 10 in the summer I will have plenty of time :smokin

Also talked to a friend the other day and a private course about 10 min from me for under 30 is $0 initiation and $200 per month for a 2 year contract. Thinking I might as well sign up, hell of a deal and it is a pretty damn nice course.

You guys crack me up man.

Of course everyone has opinions on how to play the game, how to play better, how to lower scores, because we all have figured it out by our own trial and error. Golf is such an individualistic game. Just look at the tour. There are SO many different swings, different putters, different putting strokes. None of us here are touring pro's, and I'm guessing nobody here is a PGA professional. So all these opinions on what to do, how to do it, are just that! Opinions! Sure certain fundamentals should be in place, but I'm guessing the majority of us have home made swings, so of course what works for one might not work for the other! For us, golf is a GAME! If people wanna smash driver all around, let em! If they're having fun, that's all that counts.

I could rant about this all night because I play with a lot of guys that take the game way too seriously, heck even I do sometimes. But at the end of the day, it is just a game for us. The majority of us are not making a living from playing golf, so the main focus should be to enjoy yourself! If that means hitting driver every hole and shooting 105, so be it! If it means hitting 5 irons off every tee and shooting in the 80's, so be it! Just have fun people, please!

And my one and only piece of advice (since we're all offering!) for people struggling to break 100/90, is to practice putting! Most guys I know that shoot in the 90/100 area have TONS of 3 and 4 putts, which usually stems from terrible lag skills. There are a MILLION putting drills out there for lag putting, so try a few and see which ones help! My personal fav is from Jack. When lag putting, pick a spot 3 feet short of the hole, and focus on that spot when putting. Make sure you give the putt a firm stroke. The firm stroke will eliminate leaving the putt short. So a properly struck putt will leave you no worse than 3 feet short. And if you hit it a little firm, say even 6 feet too firm, well now you only have a 3 footer coming back!

Hit em straight boys.

congrats to everyone breaking their personal best this year. Whether your breaking 100, 90 or 80 it's the point of the challenge.

However....please play quick. Man pace of play is the one that thing kills me about this game. How can a round last anywhere between 3-6 hours. It's insane. I wish people realized what they do sometimes...

1. Be ready to hit. If your buddy is hitting, leave him with his club and drive your cart over to your ball. Be ready to hit just after him. My buddy and I set up and listen for the whack sometimes if we are far enough from each other. Kind of cool when one ball hits the green and another lands shortly there after.

2. Take your time, but not too much time. If you are chipping around the green the key is to be lose. Don't waste time with practice chips, thrown clubs and swearing. Grab the wedge, grab the putter...get er done.

3. This ain't the masters. If you don't have the read in 10 seconds. You will never get it. Glance at the putt, practice stroke or two and go!

4. Unless your playing for thousands of dollars, pick up the ball after so many strokes.

5. There is nothing wrong with picking up the ball after a topped shot and taking your drop near your buddies. It speeds up the game and saves you from hitting and topping another 4 or 5 shots cuz your angry. Pick the ball up, take a ride/walk and relax.

END RANT

My work schedule has sucked but starting Monday I go back to a 6-2:30 shift. Considering it doesn't get dark here til almost 10 in the summer I will have plenty of time :smokin

Also talked to a friend the other day and a private course about 10 min from me for under 30 is $0 initiation and $200 per month for a 2 year contract. Thinking I might as well sign up, hell of a deal and it is a pretty damn nice course.

Does the $200 cover greens fees? What other dues are involved? Do you have to spend so much on food and pro shop items?

Depending on the surrounding fees that sounds awesome. Especially if you can get off work and hit the course by 3. You can play a quick round almost every day!

exactly. swallow that ego and chill out a few holes and your score will go down asap... i worked from mid 100s down to low 80s doing this. i went from trying to hit the glorious green side flop to learning multiple shots around the green and getting it in the hole faster. all about the "big miss"

I got to watch a lesson from a top 100 instructor the other day. He has been on the golf channel and I caught him giving a D1 girl player a lesson. Then came up this old guy. He was 57, short and very un assuming. He could hit the ball 260 and played in USGA tournaments. He came to work with the guy because he wasn't hitting the ball on the green close enough.

Instructor - "I wan you to hit at that flag. It's 155 out, what would you hit?"

Student - "That's an 8 iron."

Instructor give him a 7 and tells him to hit a knockdown or something with less of a back swing. The guy proceeds to hit the ball within 10 feet of the cup for 5 consecutive shots.

Instructor - "unless there is something in front of the green that you HAVE to carry. Take less club and control your swing."

Changed my game that I have been struggling with so far this year. My GIR's are coming back now. I think a lot of us get caught up hitting a club as far as we can and when we hear a yardage we automatically default to the club we have to hit the hardest to get to that yardage.

Does the $200 cover greens fees? What other dues are involved? Do you have to spend so much on food and pro shop items?

Depending on the surrounding fees that sounds awesome. Especially if you can get off work and hit the course by 3. You can play a quick round almost every day!

Yep includes everything. Green fees, range balls. Food minimum is I believe $75 quarterly. Not sure on carts but I prefer to walk anyways.

Speaking of which I haven't played in almost 2 weeks and my last round was on a cart, I always seem to lose something while riding. Realized just yesterday I had left my Vokey Gap wedge next to the 18th green. Called and no dice as to the pro shop having it :smh:

dont you guys work? How you get in 18 on a weekday all the time?
Intentionally didn't get a job this summer when i got out of school just so I could golf. Funds are a little low, but my moms got remarried and my stepdad belongs to a club so free golf everyday. Lucky as hell. Needless to say, best decision of my life.

After my lessons and grip change my hole game has improved quickly. Shot a 94 today. Best round I've had ever.

Biggest problem now is hitting clean and strong shots out of the rough. I have a tough time getting good distance.

Intentionally didn't get a job this summer when i got out of school just so I could golf. Funds are a little low, but my moms got remarried and my stepdad belongs to a club so free golf everyday. Lucky as hell. Needless to say, best decision of my life.

After my lessons and grip change my hole game has improved quickly. Shot a 94 today. Best round I've had ever.

Biggest problem now is hitting clean and strong shots out of the rough. I have a tough time getting good distance.

Pun Intended?

Only went a few times with my brother and we both suck :lol:, but it is fun as hell...i am gonna get just a cheap beginner set of clubs(saw a set of wilson clubs on amazon that got good reviews for the price $165) I know they probably aren't nearly as good as other clubs, but I suck and I'm tired of renting clubs when we gonna go play or even the damn range :lol:

And today I played like ****. Couldn't hit my ******g irons at all.

Anyone ever read any books by sports psychologists Dr. Rotella? I'm starting the 15th club today, found it around my house. It's all about the mental aspects of the game.

Last edited:
I havent been playing very long and played 18 on friday. It was the worst i have ever played. I played better the first time I ever went than friday. But it only makes me want to get better. My friend always gets new clubs, so I get his hand me downs. I love playing, even though Im not very good. Hope to get a few more rounds in before I move to Nebraska

Recently sold a set of 712 AP1's on ebay and now the buyer is trying to say they are fake.

I have the golfsmith receipt, but i've heard horror stories of PayPal/ebay when it comes to these things.

What should i do?

what are some good balls to get that are good for beginners and aren't too expensive? I looked in Walmart and they have a decent selection, I just have no idea what to get :lol:

^ if ur a beginner, dont spend much cuz ur probably going to lose many frequently.

Pinnacles, Top Flites, Noodles should work. Try to get a big bag of used/refurb balls for cheap too.

As a beginner you probably want the long straight ball rather than the soft cover. They minimize side spin which is important for a beginner because of miss hits. Agree with above go cheap so you don't feel like you need to look for a ball in the trees for 10 minutes. Drop a new ball and focus on your swing and move on without thinking about a $3 ball being wasted on one tee shot.

I was lucky as a kid I lived near a golf course so I knew the spots people lost balls and would find hundreds in the woods. Then as a high school kid I had a PGA player give me hundreds of balls he had used on maybe one hole that were all in perfect condition for anyone but a tour pro.

Last edited:
^ :smokin

Yea i hate buying balls, I live near a country club and go on golf ball hunts in the woods all the time as well.

Just went on one about 3 weeks ago, came up on a grip of balls so my summer stash is nice,,,8)

Went to the driving range today and got some tips from someone that was next to me. Appreciate any and all tips, plus they actually worked. Gotta go back and focus on what he told me.

How much does your local driving range charge ya'll for a bucket of balls (here is $9 for 110 balls).

pics from the course the other day

pga tour superstore in east palo alto california is having a demo sale. copped a Mizuno JPX 825 2 hybrid (17 degree) for around 40 bucks (normally 190.00)

*on of my favorite threads on niketalk..keep it going. cheers

-team fruition

Back
Top Bottom