Any NTers ever try stand up comedy at an open mic night?

I know NT is full of comedians. Any of you guys ever try doing stand up at an open mic night? My roommate tried it a couple weeks ago and basically got booed off stage. Even at open mics, the audience ain't friendly at all. I've been trying to put together some stuff to try it, but after seeing that I don't know anymore. haha. It's definitely very difficult and not for the easily discouraged.

Boy it's hot in here.
"How hot is it?".
It's so hot I brought cold wata
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

its one of my goals/dreams

same. i have a lot of material/ideas written down, its just im nervous to actually go and try it out
embarassed.gif

my family laughs at my jokes and then tells me i didnt come up with them, I dont know how to interpret that

Originally Posted by bns1201

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

its one of my goals/dreams

same. i have a lot of material/ideas written down, its just i nervous to actually go and try it out
embarassed.gif

my family laughs at my jokes and then tells me i didnt come up with them, I dont know how to interpret
basically they think you are to stupid to come up with clever/funny material.......go do it and show them whats up!!!

That's the thing, all my friends have always told my roommate he should try stand up and that he's hilarious. But once he got up there....ha....it's brutal. But dude that posted earlier is right, you can have good stuff but if you have a bad crowd it can really make you look bad.

I say you go for it, it could be one of the best things for your life. Why live with the idea of having to think about trying out a two minute bit at an open mic when you're a fifty year old man that wakes up at three o'clock in the morning to watch a watch special on the Home Shopping Network? Just go out and see what it's like. Even if you suck, which you probably will, who cares? At least you had the balls to go out and do it because it was something that made you happy.

i did it last summer when i was in new york. after a few drinks i just said F it these people will never see me again, and signed my name up and went up there, i joked about smashing girls, whipping it out, i talked about a story similar to the ben baller/sasha situation, and just made jokes about every single race. i a got a pretty decent response and ended up hanging out with some of the other people who did the open mic thing too.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I say you go for it, it could be one of the best things for your life. Why live with the idea of having to think about trying out a two minute bit at an open mic when you're a fifty year old man that wakes up at three o'clock in the morning to watch a watch special on the Home Shopping Network? Just go out and see what it's like. Even if you suck, which you probably will, who cares? At least you had the balls to go out and do it because it was something that made you happy.

That was mean, but
laugh.gif

I have two pocket notebooks full of ideas/punchlines/jokes but I can't really find a club that would let a person under 21 perform.

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

i did it last summer when i was in new york. after a few drinks i just said F it these people will never see me again, and signed my name up and went up there, i joked about smashing girls, whipping it out, i talked about a story similar to the ben baller/sasha situation, and just made jokes about every single race. i a got a pretty decent response and ended up hanging out with some of the other people who did the open mic thing too.

laugh.gif
This mofo went and told NT general forum stories.  "look at this curly hair #$%#* in the front, i know yns".  I'd love to try it once, but i don't really have material, i just pull !!%! up on the fly.

Mitch Hedberg! One of the best joke tellers ever. It really is all about how you deliver it and presence.

-SAlNlDllvllAlNl-

I've done it 1 time before. I took a history of comedy class back in college and 1 of our assignments was to either make a parody music video of a then current popular song, draw some funny current events political cartoon, or get up on stage for stand up for 5 minutes in front of the 400+ students. I chose the stand up and it was not bad at all. It actually went way better than I had expected. The only damper on my experience was that my routine was about a lot of $$%%/bathroom jokes and some dude who went right before me had similar jokes. I went up on stage and said "aww $$%%... I got $$%% jokes too man..." It gets easier after the first minute or so. Good times.

Originally Posted by SAlNlDllvllAlNl

Mitch Hedberg! One of the best joke tellers ever. It really is all about how you deliver it and presence.

-SAlNlDllvllAlNl-

R.I.P Mitch, hella funny guy

"An escalator can never break, they can only become stairs. They will never be a 'escalator temporarily out of order' sign, there can only be 'Escalator temporarily stairs, sorry for the convenience'"
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom