Any NTers work or used to work at shoe stores like Finishline, footlocker, Champs, etc?

Just got a job at Finishline as a sales associate...I know I know, not the greatest job in the world, but a job is a job, lol. This is my first time working retail. Let me know about your experiences and any tips the NT fam can give. Appreciated!
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

of course there are NTers that used to work there or currently work there
eyes.gif

from what I've gathered, it sucks, they make you push accessories like no other. RIP.

Disrespect every customer

When you go to the back for shoes take as much time as you feel like then lie and say the shoe isnt there

Purposely dent the shoes

Sneeze on their things

These tips brought to you by the Secrets About Your Job thread. http://niketalk.yuku.com/...1/Secrets-About-Your-Job

Spoiler [+]
Its all in good fun retail NT'ers I know how bad it is to work at your jobs

Originally Posted by 18th letter

eyes.gif

from what I've gathered, it sucks, they make you push accessories like no other. RIP.

Lmfao!!!....I used to work for Footaction about 9 years ago, back then your performance was determined by the amount of insoles you pushed, I was lethal with it
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 18th letter

eyes.gif

Yeah I know, this is a shoe forum.

Yeah, the manager told me the accessories are the most important. But if selling these items like insoles, socks, and shoe cleaners is the worst part about the job, then I wouldn't mind. It helps that I have a chill manager also.

YES, if you don't want a meeting at like, 7 AM, push the hell out of those insoles, laces, and cleaners.
Push Winner's Circle too cuz that's the biggest thing they stress about.

The hardest part is getting people to sign up for Sport's Illustrated cuz they do stress about that, but not nearly as much as the accessories and Winner's Circle.

Worked at Foot Locker my senior year in High School 97'

Used to hate selling a pair of shoes and getting the eagle eye from the manager to see if we offer the customer accessories.

My boy used to work there. Got fired when they found out him and his coworkers were stealing shoes and gear smh.

Been working at FNL since May. It's ight, they push you to sell accessories alot, that's the only annoying part. If your manager is cool it will be fine, but if not, then RIP. Oh yeah the pay isn't that great either. Also we have this stupid rule that only a percentage of employees can use their discount on retros (determined by finishline HQ), so if it's a popular retro (such as the Olympics that just came out), and your manager is getting a pair, chances are he'll hog the discount for himself while you pay full price.
30t6p3b.gif

Worked at Champs Sports from 2005-06.

I'm in the minority here, but it was one of the most chill jobs I ever had since all of us that worked there were pretty good friends -- Including the manager and assistant managers. (me being one of them)

We pretty much hooked EVERYONE up.

Finish Line makes you take 3 pairs of shoes to each customer who wants to try on shoes. Enjoy that.

I dont think I ever sold an insole while at footlocker but I was 16 and didn't have the seller mind I have now haha

Originally Posted by cbrooks3

Finish Line makes you take 3 pairs of shoes to each customer who wants to try on shoes. Enjoy that.

YES! They also make you offer to measure feet every time you go grab a shoe for someone. These are probably my least favorite part of the job. I hate doing this with a passion.

Posted this back in April in the wildest @$%* you've seen at work thread, but I figure it's relevant;
Originally Posted by JJ1223

Champs Sports

My manager and a couple employees got busted for stealing something like $30,000 in merch over a few month period. When they came in and fired him they also brought in the cops to arrest him. This dude walked out in cuffs with a Nike box over his head and dreads sticking out the bottom
laugh.gif

A couple weeks later, one of the ex-employees (female) came into the store and the new manager (also female) told her to leave, that she couldn't be in the store because she had been fired. The ex-employee refused to leave and they ended up getting into a full out fistfight right in the middle of the store in front of customers and everything. Racks knocked over and weave pulled out all over the place, and when we finally moved in to break it up I got kicked in the nuts
indifferent.gif
. To top it all off the manager didn't even get fired because she had connects with upper management, even though we had customers calling in about it for like a week.

I didn't read the thread, but I figure I can chime in.

I used to work for Champs a long long long time ago when I was 16. Champs was recently bought out by Footlocker, so we were the same company. At the time, the job was great because I was 16 and getting paid like $6.75/ hr and to me that was
pimp.gif

It didn't take very long for me to hate the job. I worked horrible hours which included nights and weekends. We'd close the store and couldn't leave until 11-midnight every night. And sometimes my days off would to far in between. I was in school, so I would get to work by 5 and this would really mess up my studies.

At work, we would have to sell accessories like sneaker cleaners, socks and insoles. Man, I ended up hating those things, but they did work
laugh.gif

Honestly, the only good thing about working for Champs was the 30% discount and the 50% off sales employees got once a month. My kick game was ridiculous, and mind you this was during the early 2000's when all those great Jordan retros came out. Also, I worked in the mall so I would always catch some great eye candy.

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Originally Posted by cbrooks3

YES! They also make you offer to measure feet every time you go grab a shoe for someone. These are probably my least favorite part of the job. I hate doing this with a passion.

Glad I quit once they started with those ******ed shoe horns and trying to make me put the shoes on customers feet

I worked in nike 20 yrs back when i just finished high school. Back them i was sellin OGs 12/13s etc things were WAAAAY more laid back then about jordan release, often some of the jordan shoes would go on sale! Back then Reebok had way more market share on bball shoes with AI and shawn kemp etc.

Seems nowadays 90% of resellers are working in shoe stores and who'd blame them its not like the money is good !

Back
Top Bottom