Any Teachers on NT?

I'm in my 3rd year towards a Composite Business Education degree.

Next year at this time I'll be at a high school doing student teaching for Marketing, Personal Finance, Business Computers, Accounting, Economics, GraphicDesign, and Business Law.

You take such a wide variety of classes to prep for being a Composite teacher; then you need to know all this well enough to teach it.

Both my parents were teachers and so far all these EDU classes are straight A's with minimal effort.

I highly doubt I'll ever be a real teacher though, just getting my degree in something that I am almost guaranteed a job in (totally not the attitude anyteacher should have).

I been leaning on teaching as my career but im not sure what i want to teach and what levels. I feel yall on the low levels b/c the attitudes but i dont thinki would mind teaching the highs. Im a senior in high school and i need to hurry with my decisions...slacking ftl
smh.gif

Any advice on teach/subing? (what you teach/sub too)

Thanks for the reply earlier dmxgod.. well i didnt get called in today as im replying now at 12:37 haha

Just graduated UT with a KIN degree (PE Teacher/Coach) and passes the Texas Board Tests
Looking for a job has been tough so far in the San Antonio/Austin area, no one hires for PE teachers mid year :/
Just subbing now in Austin ISD...
Student Teaching was fun... always got compliments on my shoes
"GEEZ, How many do you have?" My answer: Too many
One middle schooler, i had my Kobe Away Hyperdunks, said "Way to be last year." under his breathe...i chuckled

Also talking my life science cert test pretty soon too

Didn't really read the thread, but I teach Geometry in Northern Mississippi. I'm part of Teach For America.

The year has been pretty good. Teach For America is in business to close the educational achievement gap, so I am always looking at results. My students dopretty good, but they are so far behind down here.

I just gotta keep the faith that they will get up out of this small town and do something with their life.

pimp.gif

Edit: I'm public by the way.

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

Just graduated UT with a KIN degree (PE Teacher/Coach) and passes the Texas Board Tests
Looking for a job has been tough so far in the San Antonio/Austin area, no one hires for PE teachers mid year :/
Just subbing now in Austin ISD...
Student Teaching was fun... always got compliments on my shoes
"GEEZ, How many do you have?" My answer: Too many
One middle schooler, i had my Kobe Away Hyperdunks, said "Way to be last year." under his breathe...i chuckled

Also talking my life science cert test pretty soon too
I had to teach a PE lesson for my KIN class this past semester, a near disaster
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TheCalculator

A few questions for the teachers on niketalk.
*Do teachers pick favorite students?
*Do teachers hate any students?
*Do teachers feud with each other?

-yes, I def have favorites, one in particular she my lil' sweetheart
embarassed.gif
It's funny cuz when she have troubles or is struggling with something I be like "aawww it's ok, let's just try reading slower"other students I be like "uhm, it's in the reading
alien.gif
"
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
She's really quiet though, and I don't interact with her all that often so I doubt they've caught on. She's had a tought road though
tired.gif

-hate is a strong word, but there are some I strongly dislike--usually the ones that just don't try (behavior or academically) And I hate ones that startmess with other students, I literally have "Mr. Me too" He's smart though, but annoying as all hail.

-YES, year before me I heard some teachers almost threw down in the parking lot...AAAND last year my homie called the other homie a B (playfully) and as shewas talking she looked at her and said "...and I ain't no B neither"
eek.gif
Of course, that was my go-to for at least a week
roll.gif
roll.gif

how much does marking take out of your free time?

all my teachers were like "i was up all night/all weekend marking your assignments and..."

i was like damn...too bad they aint get paid for that

Originally Posted by I Drink Your Milkshake

embarassed.gif
It's funny cuz when she have troubles or is struggling with something I be like "aawww it's ok, let's just try reading slower" other students I be like "uhm, it's in the reading
alien.gif
"
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
She's really quiet though, and I don't interact with her all that often so I doubt they've caught on. She's had a tought road though
tired.gif

indifferent.gif

its okay though. lets just try typing slower.

jk

embarassed.gif
It's funny cuz when she have troubles or is struggling with something I be like "aawww it's ok, let's just try reading slower" other students I be like "uhm, it's in the reading
alien.gif
"
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
tired.gif

-hate is a strong word, but there are some I strongly dislike--usually the ones that just don't try (behavior or academically) And I hate ones that start mess with other students, I literally have "Mr. Me too" He's smart though, but annoying as all hail.

-YES, year before me I heard some teachers almost threw down in the parking lot...AAAND last year my homie called the other homie a B (playfully) and as she was talking she looked at her and said "...and I ain't no B neither"
eek.gif
Of course, that was my go-to for at least a week
roll.gif
roll.gif
que Chris Hansen pic

-YES, year before me I heard some teachers almost threw down in the parking lot...

I would have paid nearly unlimited money to see this in my high school
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Being an instructional aide for two years:
-Yeah, I had favorites. Mostly to students who were cheery and did well in the classroom.
-Not hate per say, but definitely annoyance. Some students are just trouble makers or don't try hard.
-Yup, my old teacher-coach used to get in verbal bouts with the school admin. Talked to him this past summer and he said if he met the former principal in adark alley it be on
laugh.gif

Why wouldn't teachers have they like and dislike? They are human...usually there is some reason for to them to feel a certain way.

I can't imagine any profession where coworkers get along all the time...goes back to that human statement I just mentioned.

yeah, I got favorites, usually the ones that remind me of me..aka "bad" lol

I was a tutor/aide at an HS so I can kinda put my opinion in...
1) I had my favorites. They were the ones that participated, generally happy to be in school, and kept an easy-going attitude.
2) Not hate, but disliked the +$++@$% kids that didn't try or wanted to be a disturbance. On the other hand, I actually really liked the +$++@$% kids thatdid try.
3) From what I've heard, there'll be a lot of down low +%!*-talk about other teachers and admin. From my experience...I'd always try to flirt with the student teacher who was observing the class (Chinese chick who went to UC Davis. I was trying to put my19-year-old charm on her
laugh.gif
)

Originally Posted by Physicx

how much does marking take out of your free time?

all my teachers were like "i was up all night/all weekend marking your assignments and..."

i was like damn...too bad they aint get paid for that

I was an aide for first grade and it never took that long to grade packets and assignments.

Putting together the packets was time consuming though.

Originally Posted by ikari XD

I just graduated (well, pending this last intersession class from now til the 22nd) and will be going to the University of San Francisco's School of Education. Their program seems pretty highly regarded and the way pay scales for teachers with a Masters seems like it'll make it all a good investment. I haven't done too much research into it, but USC offers an online master's+credential program (MAT@USC) that might work with your schedule easier. I guess this doesn't really help your situation since they're both private schools, and I'd hate to talk you into piling more debt on.

edit: and dmx, it's not that i hate the idea of teaching literature, it's the idea that i hate teaching literature i dislike. hawthorne struck me as boring, though admittedly, i've only read one of his novels and two of his short stories. i just dont understand why they would force books onto teachers/students. if they are trying to standardize the understanding of symbols for a certain grade, why not let me choose a book that i find more interesting and easier to teach.
No i agree with you completely..believe me if i didn't have to teach some of the stuff that is included in History textbooks i would never gonear it with a ten foot pole..they should allow us to branch off from the content to make it much easier to teach to students but yet use interestingnovels/material then it would b nice..

Back
Top Bottom