Anybody here ever work for Big 4?

^^^ As the title says, anybody ever work for any of the Big 4 companys?  Deloitte, KPMG, PwC, E&Y?

I just got two interviews, one with Deloitte and KPMG, I was wondering if you guys had any input or advice when it comes to these companies or interviewing do's and dont's.  Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by The4Fifteen

^^^ As the title says, anybody ever work for any of the Big 4 companys?  Deloitte, KPMG, PwC, E&Y?

I just got two interviews, one with Deloitte and KPMG, I was wondering if you guys had any input or advice when it comes to these companies or interviewing do's and dont's.  Thanks guys.

my brother works for deloitte and touche. i think thats how you spell it. in minneapolis. dude is cashing in.
pimp.gif

hes black too

I've interned several times and will be starting full-time with PwC in August/September. What type of interviews are these? Office visit? On campus? Your year in school?

Originally Posted by Juice2352

I've interned several times and will be starting full-time with PwC in August/September. What type of interviews are these? Office visit? On campus? Your year in school?

These are 1st round interviews on campus.  And I am currently a 3rd year.  Who did you previously intern for?  How was your experience if you don't mind me asking?

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

don't you work 60-70 hours a week and get paid little to nothing for the amount of work you do?
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. 

^^ care to elaborate?

What do you want to know? I've had a unique experience as I did a normal accounting internship and then came back for more of the legal side.

If you have access to the vault guide there should be one on accounting interviews.  Know details about the firm, their culture and the position.  If you took a financial accounting class, nows a good time to review those notes. 

Originally Posted by Juice2352

These are 1st round interviews on campus.  And I am currently a 3rd year.  Who did you previously intern for?  How was your experience if you don't mind me asking?
Sorry for the late reply, forgot about the thread.  All of my summers interning were with PwC.  Once I was in, I wasn't leaving (or maybe they didn't let me leave) 
laugh.gif
  My internship experiences were all very different, but I enjoyed all of them.  I'm assuming you're going in for the traditional client-service internship (tax, audit, or advisory).  I had my last two in audit.  Every intern's experience is very different and varies depending on the office you're in.  The geographic location of the office may affect the clients you're on.  In terms of of selecting a firm, go with what culture you like best.  They're similar, but I found PwC to have one that works for me and I've had the luck of being on great teams/clients.

Interviews are informal in the sense that they make you feel welcome and just try to learn more about you.  My interview experiences weren't technical...they were either get to know you questions/behavioral questions.  Be yourself, pay attention, be personable, and have some questions prepared.

Trelvis Tha Thrilla wrote:
recycledpaper wrote:
don't you work 60-70 hours a week and get paid little to nothing for the amount of work you do?

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. 

Those hours hold true during busy season, but definitely not all year.  The salary probably doesn't compensate you sufficiently for the amount of work you do, but for most people, working at a Big 4 firm is a means to an end.  The amount you learn/value added to your resume and career prospects is invaluable.  Like my man said, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do 
pimp.gif

kidplay wrote:
If you have access to the vault guide there should be one on accounting interviews.  Know details about the firm, their culture and the position.  If you took a financial accounting class, nows a good time to review those notes. 

I've never had a technical interview with any of the Big 4, nor have I heard of any of my peers having a technical interview with a Big 4 firm.  With that said, maybe it depends on the office but I've never seen it.

interview is 97.9 % behaviorial. treat EVERYONE respectfully...from the receptionist all the way up to the partner.

if you interview with staff/seniors...it's pretty much to see if you're a good fit and if you would mesh well from a personality standpoint. they work hard, but they party hard. and being that you spend a lot of time together, they want to make sure they can deal hanging out with you all day
laugh.gif

how do i set myself up for an interview?

is it strictly thru school?

btw, what is the main criteria that big4 is looking for?
I know the min. gpa is like 3.4 for all of the big 4.. but what else.
does the school matter to big4? if you go to ucla/usc or does it matter if you go to a local state school?

Originally Posted by GUTTA BOB

how do i set myself up for an interview?

is it strictly thru school?

btw, what is the main criteria that big4 is looking for?
I know the min. gpa is like 3.4 for all of the big 4.. but what else.
does the school matter to big4? if you go to ucla/usc or does it matter if you go to a local state school?
i know EY targets certain schools, but if you're a stud, you're a stud and you'll be considered. obviously any school with a strong accounting program helps. big names help.

Been working 3 weeks at EY Advisory. Tips I have from my interview is that they really want people who believe in their values and can fit in their culture. Also, they do want the brightest but if they like you you don't need to have the greatest GPA just gotta kill the interview. Your going to be working with these people for long hours so there gonna want people they can talk to about anything. Try to create a personal connection with your interviewers.

deadset, do you work for a company out of boston? and also, do you mind dropping the name? curious if you work at the same company my uncle does.

^ used to work for EY out of boston. travel got to be too much so i left and found a new job

oh, nice. nvm though, not the same. hes a director for PKF's boston firm. i'm about a year away from my bachelors and im hoping to sneak in the door with him.
nerd.gif

got an internship offer this summer from KPMG, pretty excited about it

Cant wait to grind and get that $$$

It's hit or miss
You could luck out and have a great industry and client base

Or you could work 80 hours and audit just cash

You have to pick a pathway (IE audit/tax) before you even know anything

If you can tough it out even while not enjoying it, you certainly open doors for yourself

I had no interest in the Big 4 so I never looked at them. I'm at a national Top 10 and they're similar in a lot of ways since a lot of our personnel have Big 4 roots

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom