Anyone else a HUGE sports fan, but not care for soccer?

You guys complain about low soccer scores, but would you also complain about a 9-6 football game?

I know I wouldn't because I enjoy watching a good defensive, tactical battle.

How is that any different that soccer?

Originally Posted by DT43

I would feel robbed watching a game for 90+ minutes and the score is only 1-0

thats how i felt watching the Portugal-Ivory Coast game this morning. neither team did anything for the entire game. Drogba was injured most of the game, but i was at least excited to see Cristiano Ronaldo play.. unfortunately, literally all he did was flop around for 90 minutes.
indifferent.gif
it ended 0-0 and i felt like i just sat down and wasted an hour and a half of my life.

i try to enjoy the World Cup and games like that make it harder... i know every sports tournament will have its duds, but that literally had to be the least exciting result i've seen in any sports tournament.
I feel you.  Ive been watching a lot of the games because my friends are really into it, but its just not for me.  10 out of the 14 games so far have either ended 1-0 or in a tie.  I am just not down with that.  

laugh.gif
they should really think about putting Ronaldo on the Lakers, he'd only have to do it for 48 minutes.

I could care less about soccer. There's a reason why it hasnt made a real dent in this country after all this time

Soccer has always been my most favorite sport to play and watch, but how some of you feel about soccer is exactly how I feel about baseball - so different strokes for different folks, no big deal...

...and the announcers ''rip'' on Ronaldo for ''flopping'' because they support club teams that he's single handidly destroyed in the past, ie., they're hating - son was three inches away from crackin' the best goal in the WC today - BANG BANG!!

Originally Posted by AG 47

You guys complain about low soccer scores, but would you also complain about a 9-6 football game?

even if the final score is 9-6, at least there's a winner at the end.

and 9-6 games are a lot rarer than these low-scoring games in soccer. other than the draws, all but 1 game in the WC has ended X-0. its just not as exciting.

Realistically, how many of those type of games are there in football?  Besides there's 16 games a week with football so chances are if you do happen upon one of those games, you can just switch it up to another game.

YESSSSSS, but substitute soccer with baseball.
I cant watch baseball if my life depended on it. Highlights are cool. A whole game..... not my cup of tea. 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

the reason why America cannot get into soccer is because:

1. the soccer they are typically exposed to is something their 11 year old daughter plays on sunday and that's BAD soccer
2. soccer really really sucks on TV and Americans love to watch sports on TV

Originally Posted by Proshares

Realistically, how many of those type of games are there in football?  Besides there's 16 games a week with football so chances are if you do happen upon one of those games, you can just switch it up to another game.

AG 47 a better question would be "would you guys complain if over 50% of the NFL games ended 9-6?"  Id say 75% of football fans would lose interest, but obviously thats just a guess.

thats how i felt watching the Portugal-Ivory Coast game this morning. neither team did anything for the entire game. Drogba was injured most of the game, but i was at least excited to see Cristiano Ronaldo play.. unfortunately, literally all he did was flop around for 90 minutes.
indifferent.gif
it ended 0-0 and i felt like i just sat down and wasted an hour and a half of my life.

i try to enjoy the World Cup and games like that make it harder... i know every sports tournament will have its duds, but that literally had to be the least exciting result i've seen in any sports tournament.
Just because it was a 0-0 game does not mean it was a dude The game was entertaining as hell. Fast paced, neither team bunkered. It's actually one of the games I've enjoyed the most this WC. 

indifferent.gif

Just because it was a 0-0 game does not mean it was a dude The game was entertaining as hell. Fast paced, neither team bunkered. It's actually one of the games I've enjoyed the most this WC. 

the sport is pretty boring. and the announcers on espn 
sick.gif
these dudes are soft too, u always see them on the floor crying 
laugh.gif

depending on your exposure to the sport and how much of a chance you actually decide to give it, it really takes a minute to learn to appreciate soccer's subtleties.

not everyone can find enjoyment in precision service into the box or the sleight of "foot" required for that perfect first touch.

i grew up playing soccer my entire life and it still wasn't till i was about 16 that i learned to look for anything other than the scoring of goals when being a spectator.

Originally Posted by jdizzle75

I cant say that I hate the sport but I am definitely not going to watch the World Cup at all.
Yep.

I have a man-crush on Ronaldo and I STILL won't watch the WC unless there is ZERO else on tv. I'm talking no b-ball. No Mets. No Yanks. No women's beach volleyball. No pr0n. No liquor in the house. No gf available. No Die Hard marathon on TNT. Etc.

For the sake of being a truly well-rounded sports aficonado, I'll try to tune in and catch a match. But I wouldn't bet on me staying tuned in.

I like Soccer, but I don't understand it.

The only Soccer league I know of is the MLS and it seems like a joke.

Originally Posted by needsomejays

Originally Posted by PapaPrem

I could care less about soccer. There's a reason why it hasnt made a real dent in this country after all this time

which is?

The same reason U.S. hasn't adopted the metric system: Hardheadedness.

1000px-Metric_system_adoption_map.svg.png

2. soccer really really sucks on TV and Americans love to watch sports on TV

Um, no. Soccer is the best TV sport there is. For example, if you want to eat something during the game, at least you know that the game will be happening 2 x 45 mins, whereas in other sports you have to deal with constant commercial-filled timeouts.

But probably, the realest reason why soccer isn't big in the U.S. mediocrity when it comes to the sport. Compare the popularity of Tour De France prior to, during and after the Lance Armstrong years and it will all be crystal clear.

i don't care for soccer, but i definitely don't hate it like some people.  I'm thinking it could be similar to baseball that its better to watch this live than on TV

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

depending on your exposure to the sport and how much of a chance you actually decide to give it, it really takes a minute to learn to appreciate soccer's subtleties.

not everyone can find enjoyment in precision service into the box or the sleight of "foot" required for that perfect first touch.

i grew up playing soccer my entire life and it still wasn't till i was about 16 that i learned to look for anything other than the scoring of goals when being a spectator.

I dont mean to try to start an argument, but I have to ask you something.  I grew up playing too, and I definitely can appreciate things in soccer that arent just goals....but really, what is the beauty of a great pass, a great center or the precision service into the box, if they eventually turn into a turnover or the ball kicked out of bounds?  I honestly feel like half the soccer highlights they show are beautiful plays that ALMOST result in a score.

laugh.gif
@ baseball fans calling soccer slow. a soccer game is done in 90 minutes. i like watching baseball sometimes but that @#$% takes forever. the possibility of 20 inning games
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
hilights > the actual games

and theres low scoring games cause its hard as hell to score a goal. some of you must not have played soccer in your life
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I dont mean to try to start an argument, but I have to ask you something.  I grew up playing too, and I definitely can appreciate things in soccer that arent just goals....but really, what is the beauty of a great pass, a great center or the precision service into the box, if they eventually turn into a turnover or the ball kicked out of bounds?  I honestly feel like half the soccer highlights they show are beautiful plays that ALMOST result in a score.
like i said not everybody can find enjoyment in that. 
people appreciate the display of skill involved. every single one of those beautiful highlights you see is a completely unique series of events that is incredibly entertaining to watch whether a goal is scored or not, and because of the difficulty of scoring, when a goal is scored it makes that much more of a wow moment. 

Back
Top Bottom