Anyone watching First Take??? Rob Parker just said is "Is RG3 a brother or a cornball brother"

oh look people of other races telling blacks what to say and think about themselves...kick rocks if you can't relate
It was bad yesterday just because Rob was hating on him because he doesn't act black enough or he wasn't "down" enough. He didn't even try to understand what RGIII meant with what he said.

oh look people of other races telling blacks what to say and think about themselves...kick rocks if you can't relate
when you've established a pattern of behavior as a culture, you are open to judgment.
You just couldn't help resist could you.  Please tell US what pattern of behavior as a culture WE have established.  Especially since your on the outside attempting to look in.

And then there was this, when asked about the significance of being a black quarterback in a city like D.C.

“Whenever you can relate to the population of the team that you play for, I think it makes it that much more special,” he said. “I don’t play too much into the color game, because I don’t want to be the best African American quarterback, I want to be the best quarterback.

“But to the fans, and to the fans who think that way and look at me as an African American, it’s important that I succeed, not only for this team, but for them. Because it gives them that motivation, that hey, you know, an African American went out and played quarterback for my Washington ********. So I appreciate that, I don’t ever downplay anything like that. Whoever I can go out every week and motivate to do better and to try to go after their dreams, I’m up for that.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../12/03/rgiii-talks-about-being-a-man/?print=1

Read this article and watch the video at the bottom of the page. RGIII has never denied that he's black, he's just being himself.

i mean me & my homeboys have had this convo bout rg3, but i dont think its that serious to where it should be discussed in the media. & that was awkward as hell to watch
yea..ive had this convo too..lol..

if i was still in high school, and rg walked in and wasnt an all star athlete...dude would get clowned...daily...

he would get picked on after school...the whole 9 yards...

so i see where rob is coming from on that stance...if u take away his athletic prowess ALOT  of (black) people where i come from wouldnt accept him...

its sad, but it is what it is...rob wasnt 100% wrong in that nature...still a stupid thiing to say on nattional tv

yea..ive had this convo too..lol..

if i was still in high school, and rg walked in and wasnt an all star athlete...dude would get clowned...daily...

he would get picked on after school...the whole 9 yards...

so i see where rob is coming from on that stance...if u take away his athletic prowess ALOT  of (black) people where i come from wouldnt accept him...

its sad, but it is what it is...rob wasnt 100% wrong in that nature...still a stupid thiing to say on nattional tv

Not saying you per say, but a lot of that comes from insecurity.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. The real issue with the trash shows like First Take is that they have zero integrity and are "sitting around the barbershop" which some may find refreshing but I personally don't. But hey we know the drill with this show.

Whatever the case, these guys in front of a national camera literally think throwing around demeaning words and outlandish racial statements is no big deal like they are talking to their bros on the couch with no one around them. You have guys like this clown Parker who think it's no big deal to let fly "is he a cornball brother or what?" This is the culture we have created with these shows. Real knowledge or T.V. class takes a back seat to trolling, twitter whoring, and making myself the news story.

Remember though, in Bristol's word Dana Jacobson gets a full week suspension for saying demeaning words about Notre Dame at a damn untelevised comedy roast event. Good thing Rob and SAS don't do that.

Last edited:
BINGO.
This is where we are as a society where someone gets questioned about their "blackness" or not being "down for the cause" due to being well-spoken, educated, and who they choose for a spouse. It's really sad.

I think people don't really understand the question he's raising

I don't think he's saying that speaking well and being intelligent = trying to be white (at least I hope he's not saying that)

The most militant black people throughout history have all been very intelligent and well spoken. But at the same time they didn't feel the need to fit the mold of what white people thought they should be

I don't think he's saying he should be Malcolm X, but I think he's questioning wether RGIII is downplaying his blackness to make white people comfortable

This of course may not be the case, so in that sense it's wrong to accuse him of something you're not sure about

But usually black athletes/entertainers with that kind of mentality get their wake up call soon enough, so we'll see

What the henz0 is Regis Philben doing on First Take?

Last edited:
Rob Parker has been suspended. ESPN felt the public pressure. They need to suspend the producer who OK'd the segment, because these things aren't said w/o approval.

I think people don't really understand the question he's raising
I don't think he's saying that speaking well and being intelligent = trying to be white (at least I hope he's not saying that)
The most militant black people throughout history have all been very intelligent and well spoken. But at the same time they didn't feel the need to fit the mold of what white people thought they should be
I don't think he's saying he should be Malcolm X, but I think he's questioning wether RGIII is downplaying his blackness to make white people comfortable
This of course may not be the case, so in that sense it's wrong to accuse him of something you're not sure about
But usually black athletes/entertainers with that kind of mentality get their wake up call soon enough, so we'll see

yea, I dont think it has anything to do with intellignce or how 1 speaks. I think Parker meant is that, RG3 doesnt embrace his blackness. Now I dont know RG3 personally like all of us here, so for me to go off of the fact that hes a republican or he has a white wife is kind of misguided. Now if parker knows rg3 more than us, then maybe he was right to say what he said

Not saying you per say, but a lot of that comes from insecurity.
yea..insecurity for sure...and a few more choice adjectives ill keep to myself..

it is what it is tho...

all my dudes who went to inner city or "urban" high schools can agree...dudes like that get clowned all 3 lunch periods....

right or wrong rob deserved that suspension...  at the same time he is a scapegoat...ESPN knew what they were doing asking him that question..dude is VERY outspoken on racial topics every time they arise...espn knows what theyre going to get before these talking heads actually go before the camera...that same speech rob gave on first take was given the OK by a number of superiors im sure...

yea..insecurity for sure...and a few more choice adjectives ill keep to myself..

it is what it is tho...

all my dudes who went to inner city or "urban" high schools can agree...dudes like that get clowned all 3 lunch periods....

right or wrong rob deserved that suspension...  at the same time he is a scapegoat...ESPN knew what they were doing asking him that question..dude is VERY outspoken on racial topics every time they arise...espn knows what theyre going to get before these talking heads actually go before the camera...that same speech rob gave on first take was given the OK by a number of superiors im sure...

I completely agree. Me and my girl were talking earlier, if RG3 wasn't a football player and he was around us.....we'd be in tears laughing at him.

As for Rob, I'm sure ESPN paid Rob after this. They talk about race all the time on this show, this is nothing new and it's only getting more attention and ratings which is all they want. I think Rob just said it wrong. It didn't come out right.

yea, I dont think it has anything to do with intellignce or how 1 speaks. I think Parker meant is that, RG3 doesnt embrace his blackness. Now I dont know RG3 personally like all of us here, so for me to go off of the fact that hes a republican or he has a white wife is kind of misguided. Now if parker knows rg3 more than us, then maybe he was right to say what he said

What does "embrace" blackness mean though? This is where the gray area is. Who made Parker the mouthpiece for black America? Who is he to say who is "down for the cause," or whatever the hell that means? There are plenty of things wrong with what Parker said, and it starts with his misguided assumption of who he thinks Griffin is and what he represents.

it is what it is tho...

right or wrong rob deserved that suspension... at the same time he is a scapegoat...ESPN knew what they were doing asking him that question..dude is VERY outspoken on racial topics every time they arise...espn knows what theyre going to get before these talking heads actually go before the camera...that same speech rob gave on first take was given the OK by a number of superiors im sure...

You're 100% right. ESPN knew what they were doing when they put Parker out there. As I was saying last night, if ESPN's goal was for people to be talking about first take, well they got it. Journalistic integrity be damned. To me, all it does is make First Take look more like a joke than it already is.

For what you were talking about earlier (inner-city schools), there is a BIG problem. I was watching a documentary a few years back about Douglass High School in B-More. It focused on a few teachers and students. One student was a bit of an outcast because he actually enjoyed learning. He was clowned for it (by a 17 year old freshman of all people) and ridiculed to no end. It's sad, but this is the harsh reality of our educational system and some of the kids who are apart of it. It's all about mindset and insecurities. I honestly don't know how to fix it. People more concerned with the next man rather than trying to do what they can to better themselves. It's a shame.

Last edited:
Rob Parker was suspended? Who is running ESPN now, Method Man?

WTH?

Jus' kidding....
roll.gif

That show is not the forum to be discussing such sensitive matters, especially something as touchy RGIII's identity. Black people are not monolithic, and Parker should know this. While being Black republican does say something about your awareness, your level of consciousness, it does not say anything about your blackness, and knowing the history, how you fit into that history in this country. However, they, the participants of that show, love to pat themselves on the back for discussing such topics, as if they are the beacon for racial equality.

They aren't, but it is entertainment. I wish that Smith would cut out that pseudo preacher/pimp groove that he has going. But for the shows sake, Skip does balance that out by possibly being the whitest white man on television, if that is even possible considering the Fox news presence on the airwaves.

What does "embrace" blackness mean though? This is where the gray area is. Who made Parker the mouthpiece for black America? Who is he to say who is "down for the cause," or whatever the hell that means? There are plenty of things wrong with what Parker said, and it starts with his misguided assumption of who he thinks Griffin is and what he represents.

As I said, it isnt about speaking or education( hell I speak properly and am about to graduate from college). But weve all seen people who "shun" their heritage.Ots not even a black thing, but anybody who forget who you are or your history.

But also, I dont know where rob is gettiing his opinion from. Does he know rg3 personally? Just because his wife is white and hes a republican( questionable if its not fiscally based) doesnt mean hes shunning his blackness

Last edited:
As I said, it isnt about speaking or education( hell I speak properly and am about to graduate from college). But weve all seen people who "shun" their heritage.Ots not even a black thing, but anybody who forget who you are or your history.
But also, I dont know where rob is gettiing his opinion from. Does he know rg3 personally? Just because his wife is white and hes a republican( questionable if its not fiscally based) doesnt mean hes shunned being black

I think that's what he was basing his comments off of. On top of it all, that moron Skip Bayless brought up RGIII's braids as a quantifier for him being "black." The whole segment was trash and even low by ESPN's standards.

Rob Parker has been suspended. ESPN felt the public pressure. They need to suspend the producer who OK'd the segment, because these things aren't said w/o approval.
That's the thing with ESPN. They encourage this kind of stuff in the first place

This whole "embrace Blackness" thing is killing me.  We complain when we're painted with stereotypes but then turn around, point our finger at one of our own and scream that he's an outcast because he doesn't meet enough of them?  What does embracing Blackness mean?  He has to be militant pro-Black?  Vaudevillian with his Blackness and the way he speaks?  Or just drop the white girl?  The Republican argument is stupid, because it'd shock you how many of your favorite Black entertainers and public figures vote Republican when it comes to their money.  If Obama wasn't president right now, it wouldn't even be a thing.  A lot of y'all had no problem when all your aunts and uncles were voting Republican against same sex marriage in all those states.

Look.

Take what Rob Parker said.  Now make it a white columnist saying it.  Ballerific, blake, Deuce, would you still feel as ok with the statement then?

Or is it somehow more legitimate (even though it comes from just as much speculation race baiting) because another Black man said it?

blake... Rob Parker isn't getting his opinion from anywhere.  He has a history of making up stories and "sources".  He's just trying to stir controversy for the sake of controversy and skirting responsibility for the comments by saying "that's what people are saying."  He wants to be the Black Skip Bayless.

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say I hate Rob Parker now. :smh:

Being a young black male coming from a comfortable home, college educated, nice career, no record people try to say i'm not black enough. I have to be Chief Keef in order to be black nowadays. I could go into long rant but i'll stop here. I am glad though that SAS started off how he did though by saying he felt uncomfortable. Completely, uncalled for.

I dont have a problem with what Rob Parker said I have a problem with where he said it really served no purpose imo

Back
Top Bottom