Anyone work or live in Japan?

I just went to Japan for a 5 day vacation. Was amazing. Had such a great time. I think it'd be a good place to live for a few years and work. I think I could become fluent in Japanese in 3 years. My girlfriend is half Japanese so I could practice with her a lot. I'm thinking I want to try living there 2016-2019 or so. Anyone on NT want to share their experiences? What sort of salary/expectations/lifestyle/etc?

I love living here. been living here for about 6 years. cant get enough of it.
The most difficult thing for foreigners living in Japan is probably trying to find a career.
Jobs come a dime a dozen but most people dont want to be stuck being an English teacher (most people do though).
I mean, its not a bad job but its probably not something someone wants to do for the rest of their life though.

As far as becoming fluent in 3 years, Its definitely possible, takes hard work and focusing though.
If You're serious about becoming fluent, I would suggest enrolling into a language school here. It will help you progress and focus a lot faster.
I've been slacking in the self studying Japanese, but i speak at a decent rate.

and the nightlife is so fun.

Last edited:
How expensive is the standard of living? I know living in the city would be way more. Are we talking NY type prices? Or more? My cousin lived in Japan for 10 years and worked at a hotel. Should've asked him questions about it.

Well, fluency is a toss up term. I'll have time (an hour strong studying a day + watching Japanese cartoons when I have enough understanding ability) for the next year. I know that unless I am put in the situation (such as in the office of using the language) it will be hard to fully get fluent. I was just impressed at the number of foreigners in Japan and how well they could speak Japanese.

From what my gf tells me (she went to middle school in Japan, and then worked in Japan for 2 years before university) the rent is wild high. I don't know about NY rents but a 1 bedroom could easily run 3k a month.

I am about 3/4th through my Masters of Accountancy program right now and will take the CPA exam in 2014. Basically, I'll be working full-time all 2015 and 2016 in public auditing.

The past three years I've been working as an English teacher in South Korea. So, yeah I know that teaching English in Japan/Korea/Thailand etc is not really a true career for the most part. It is 1 year gigs usually without promotions etc.

I'd like to have a real career job etc. Salaries seem to be relatively higher but the cost of living is insane as well. I'd probably want to live in Shibuya, or Harajuku area or (at some richer point) in Future City near the Mori Tower.

Why do you say you love it? I went out in Roppongi, and Shibuya on a Friday. It was fun, but honestly, I felt South Korea is better. Between my gf and I on cabs, cover, and drinks we spent $280 on one night. We didn't even do anything extravagant. We started at our hotel (Asaka station area) and went to Roppongi ($30 bucks). Had a few drinks ($25). Went to Shibuya ($30). Cover for Atom ($20 or $30 for two with a free drink coupon or something). Wasn't that poppin/big so went to the place next door ($60 for two). Drinks ($40). Late night meal ($30). Cab back to the room ($45). Me and her even had like 3/4th of a Jack before we left in our hotel room. She's not a big drinker/partier so she only had one more drink all night. In S.Korea could of done all this for under $75 at clubs bigger/same music/etc (to me). Not hating in anyway, just wondering what I was missing about the Japan scene. To me, if i was single, I can see how ridiculously easy it is to meet women. The actual clubs, prices, and money for transportation for going out were quite high I thought. Besides going out though I thought prices were quite reasonable. We only spent about $100 a day and we managed to see Kyoto, Osaka and a lot of places in Tokyo and not skimp on food.

3k is a little steep unless we're talking about an american style 1 bedroom. You're definitely not gonna get the same price per sq ft. I'd say an average 1 room apartment could be from 500~700$.

as far as the nightlife, yea, most clubs do have cover charges, but everyone usually drinks somewhere else.
They have all you can drink places for about 10$ everywhere in shibuya.
And hell yea taking a taxi is expensive, thats why everyone uses trains unless you really need to get somewhere fast. but then again S.Korea transportation > Japan transportation
If you dont really know anyone out here, then yea, it would probably be an expensive/boring experience. its all about a group experience.

Why do you say you love it? I went out in Roppongi, and Shibuya on a Friday. It was fun, but honestly, I felt South Korea is better. Between my gf and I on cabs, cover, and drinks we spent $280 on one night. We didn't even do anything extravagant. We started at our hotel (Asaka station area) and went to Roppongi ($30 bucks). Had a few drinks ($25). Went to Shibuya ($30). Cover for Atom ($20 or $30 for two with a free drink coupon or something). Wasn't that poppin/big so went to the place next door ($60 for two). Drinks ($40). Late night meal ($30). Cab back to the room ($45). Me and her even had like 3/4th of a Jack before we left in our hotel room. She's not a big drinker/partier so she only had one more drink all night. In S.Korea could of done all this for under $75 at clubs bigger/same music/etc (to me). Not hating in anyway, just wondering what I was missing about the Japan scene. To me, if i was single, I can see how ridiculously easy it is to meet women. The actual clubs, prices, and money for transportation for going out were quite high I thought. Besides going out though I thought prices were quite reasonable. We only spent about $100 a day and we managed to see Kyoto, Osaka and a lot of places in Tokyo and not skimp on food.

Japan is awesome. I was just there for about 10 days last month.

I know, Japan can be expensive, but why didnt you just ride the trains? Roppongi to Shibuya is only 2 stops on the Shonen Shinjuku line, which is about 240 Yen. It really depends on what you're looking for and who you're with, I was with my wife during my previous trip and she was pregnant - and we still took the trains everywhere. Its just a choice of spending $10 on the train or $50 cab ride.

I can see the drinks being expensive and cover as well. If I had to go out, I would probably go to Roppongi, Yokohama or Shinjuku...but those were during my younger days. Now, its more of a go to a mom and pops Yakitori or Yakiniku restaurant have a beer and $40 would be a pretty good meal + drinks for me and the wifey.

Anyway...to OP. Japan is awesome. I really love their public transportation, from their trains to buses, you can almost never really need your own car. The food is awesome, between Ramen, Beef bowls, Yakitori, Sushi and Curry - I can't ask for anything more. If I ever have to leave Cali and move elsewhere,Tokyo will be my first choice in relocation. Japanese people are some of the nicest and most polite people I had ever met.

And if you're looking for sneakers, you can pretty much get jordans a week after release date, when I was there they had OG1's and Fire red V's on FSR at the Nike Harajuku.

The only thing is Apartments can be really expensive.

Back
Top Bottom