Appaling Rooms in New York City to Rent....

First thing I thought of when this first started:

If you not from NY, you ******g country
laugh.gif
and that's how most of us feel.  We just don't feel it so aggressively and express it as ignorantly as Nomad.  Gotta find some balance, my dude. 

Much more to say, though, so I'll pace myself. 

Seinfeld_collage.jpg

Where's this??
Funny enough, almost none of Seinfeld is actually filmed in NY.  For instance, if I'm not mistaken, that building front you posted is actually just a set somewhere in California.  I work on the same block as Tom's Diner, which is where they ate in most episodes and is one of the few places they filmed that was actually in NY ( and even then, only the outside was used.  The inside they used was totally different).

there's a bunch of yuppy idiots moving into the city paying ******ed amounts of cash for rooms that should've been gutted in the 80s...

I've been to many nice apts..

My apt is 1000 a month in Brooklyn.. I live on the good side of town ... No loudness, no rats. no police harassment... i grew up in Crown Heights. my apt was decent nothing extraordinary. I've seen crack apts, luxury apts, and in between apts. and sometimes there all the same price depending on location..

NYC is a hustle, people fall for the dumb **** like paying 2000 a month for a shack with a bath
1000 for EVERYTHING INCLUDED? I hope you got a roommate or GF.

Nomad is the biggest clown on all of NT and that's sayin summon seein as Mayor is still around

Lol at the fact this dude thinks the only place to make money is NY... Ur somcloseminded it's sickening

Ppl are becoming millionaires in nowhere, USA EVERYDAY... We also get acreage, clean air, space, 5000 sq ft homes

But I guess u hafta live in the city on top of one another to make money and enjoy life... Imma tell my boys to sell the jet skis, 4 wheelers, etc pack all if his stuff up in try n fit in a 1500 sq ft apartment so we can get money n enjoylife

I love New York (I'm a huge fan of urbanism, skyscrapers, blocks and blocks of residential towers) but I hate the holier-than-thou attitude so many New Yorkers display constantly online.

People just don't get it ... maybe I should have clarified I'm African-American. I think people overlooking this factor when reading my posts.

As an African-American who has lived in small cities or townships outside city limits it's hard for people like me to interact with non-blacks because there's so much we have balance mentally to just EXIST peacefully in that community.

Niketalk is diverse in age range, so I'm pretty sure there's blacks that can testify to what I'm saying.

Maybe because SOME NT'ers may have never left the nest or come from wealthy backgrounds they cannot understand what it's like from a black perspective of the spectrum.

We constantly have to worry about, the awkwardness of post-racial society and the VAST varieties of characters who we encounter each day, being labeled the "angry negro" or even worse the "Sambo". 

As an African-American you're pretty much conditioned to handle these situations and they become second nature to manuveur through effortlessly. But there are times where you encounter people that just don't let up. (Law Enforcement, Good Ol' Boys, Boss, Teacher, Landlord).

When a place isn't culturally diverse and whites are the majority, "whiteness" dominates the socio-economic current. Therefore you're characterized as the EPITOME of EVERYTHING an individual white at that moment needs you to be.

I swear you're the "I luv me sum whyte whimenz" black guy, if you hold your head up high and rise about and limit your emotional responses in reaction to ignorance you're the "wannabe white" black guy. If you just cool and have a lot of white friends you're the "token" black guy. If you keep your swag you're thrown in that Fresh Prince box. Sure it's cool when you're 13-22 ...but if that's all you're valued for then what happens when these people graduate college and have to earn RESPONSIBLE jobs? Affirmative Action can't save you because YOU put yourself in that position by trying to be "Mr Cool" and being the spokesperson for current black pop culture.

Whites, Asians, Jewish, and SOME Hispanics are able to conform, assimilate or integrate into "whiteness" and retain their cultural identity and essence.
If you ever took a Comm course you know this is FACT. If not you've probably seen some degree of this on Chappelle show (i.e "Keeping it real goes wrong")

Now, most of these type of suburbs have a small black community on the outskirts of these townships...and it's ALWAYS the drug zone, racial profiling, and disenfrancised part of town. And no matter your background if you move to the "white part" you're ALWAYS subjected to an arbitrary probation period, no matter how nice you're dressed, how much money you make, PRETTY your BLACK WIFE or GIRLFRIEND...you will always want their women, be up to something, or if you're squeaky clean they will get angry and TRY to BREAK YOU DOWN until they have a reason to point the finger.

Who wants to live like that? Who wants to live in the ghetto? Sure most us blacks come from there, but after the music videos, and pop culture references we have SLEEP THERE..there's no PAUSE BUTTON...no STOP BUTTON....we have to LIVE there and sometimes IN TERROR.

So for most middle-class blacks, or students our only option is the big city, where there's a constant influx of cultures and respect of for ours.
Also why most of us just don't work and study there but LIVE there too...it puts our minds as ease to not have to worry about race so much.

...with that being said, when you chillin' in school or work and some Dominican with a BLACK HIP-HOP vernacular he can turn on or off at his PARENT'S dinner table says "come to Da Heightz b". He's not taking into accountability what I've already stated that the neighborhood is 75% Hispanics who are IMMIGRANTS and found a "cozy" nook to call "home". And when you're dealing with a group of people that come to America for a better life and ALREADY have a complex like AMERICA asked them to discard their cultural identity...let's just says there's a lot of "pride" in the air and sometimes all it takes is for one Dominican with an inferiority complex to pull the race card in an argument and you'll have a whole block that will side with them...even if they are wrong.

Ask Ninjahood or anyone objecting what I say to talk that craziness in the middle of Crown Heights, Jamaica, the Pink Houses...BET YOU THEY'D GET REAL HUMBLE...REAL QUICK. 

...but he wanna pop slick cause he "feels safe" up in Da Heightz which is my point, they flex hard up there and front cause they know they can.
That's just how New York is ...word to Bronx Tale.

But as I stated to avoid ALL OF THIS ...Suburbs and one culturally dominated neighborhood ....Some blacks PREFER the epicenter of a major city where common "best behavior" work practices are implemented in that general area.

Nomad is the biggest clown on all of NT and that's sayin summon seein as Mayor is still around

Lol at the fact this dude thinks the only place to make money is NY... Ur somcloseminded it's sickening

Ppl are becoming millionaires in nowhere, USA EVERYDAY... We also get acreage, clean air, space, 5000 sq ft homes

But I guess u hafta live in the city on top of one another to make money and enjoy life... Imma tell my boys to sell the jet skis, 4 wheelers, etc pack all if his stuff up in try n fit in a 1500 sq ft apartment so we can get money n enjoylife

Lmao that last part had me :rofl:

NYC isn't for everyone. You're one of them. That's why the saying is, "if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere." It rings true every time and especially for the yuppies moving to the city and leaving within a year.

I don't know what people's idea of comfort is, but you can live comfortable in NYC if you don't have kids or if you do, you have a two income household. Everyone over 25 isn't struggling. Young dudes living at home with their parents/roommates are stacking their chips so that when they are ready to fly, they won't any problems.

A lot of posts on here that are anti-NYC are those from people that have purely visited the city or if their only impression of the city is what they read on the Internet.

I haven't been there in a while. My experiences come from when I used to go to middle school (383) there. Was a terrible neighborhood plagued with crime and poverty. I'm sure things have changed, but there are definitely pockets of the old Bushwick.

I went to 383 from 92-95. That area was a dump. couldn't catch me there after dark. Now i live not even 5 mins from there in a luxury ish building. Them yuppies act like we in Williamsburg. Ciops everywhere to keep it safe and 20 mins from the city.

First thing I thought of when this first started:

If you not from NY, you ******g country :lol: and that's how most of us feel.  We just don't feel it so aggressively and express it as ignorantly as Nomad.  Gotta find some balance, my dude. 

Much more to say, though, so I'll pace myself. 

LOL @ i got fam in Jersey

If you need 120k to maintain your lifestyle, there's something wrong with you, not the city.

People with the dramatics on here. You've visited, you don't live here. That's a big difference in itself. Everything you've said about living in New York City has been based off of opinion, not fact. You proved that yourself with the hyperbole used to get by on a yearly basis.

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

I make about 65K

I didn't just pull that number out my ***.

Edit-Actually for Manhattan I need 147K :wow:

Edit 2-65K in the grand scheme of life isn't that much money however I just want put in perspective how much longer that amount of money stretches somewhere like Dallas in comparison to Manhattan and why I'd never considering living there unless I was making 250K plus.

Last edited:
laugh.gif
the nomad is a known troll, dude aint even from NYC. hes a typical lame that moved to NYC to be hip and cool. you make bryant gumbel look like malcolm x kid.

take your zesty *** to terror ave in hempstead and tell them "you're not a REAL new yorker, you're from the suburbs!"

jew york city is the most overrated place on the planet. softest city in the country too.

using your entire trust fund to rent (not even own) a hole in the wall
laugh.gif
aint nobody got room for that

Real talk though, I've lived in NYC my whole life, but I can't justify raising a family in a cramped apartment. I can't deprive my child from an ideal life. My immigrant parents did that, but we're off that at this point.
my childhood in da heightz >>* (after da wild cowboys era simmered down)
Real talk, you really have to stop glorifying the heights

No one that's born in NYC is dreaming of moving to the heights. Maybe some out of towner would but the heights is nothing special. Anything over 96th St isn't worth moving to 
laugh.gif

there's an ENTIRE country "Dominican Republic" thats connected to da cord to da heights, PLENTY of people dream of living in

our hispanic oasis inside NYC...non of that big box bland retail market chain that looks likes da rest da nowhere, usa.

living in NYC period is dream for billions of people around da world, so da fact that you can find people that are JUST like you

living uptown mahattan and you dont have to lose your culture in da process is straight of what dreams are made of.

its da same with Colombians in jackson heights.

and if you just are a fan of sexy women they're NO better spot in da city pound for pound.

ill take a neighborhood with RICH culture >>>> bland culture any day of da week.

Real talk though, I've lived in NYC my whole life, but I can't justify raising a family in a cramped apartment. I can't deprive my child from an ideal life. My immigrant parents did that, but we're off that at this point.

No one that's born in NYC is dreaming of moving to the heights. Maybe some out of towner would but the heights is nothing special. Anything over 96th St isn't worth moving to 
:lol:

there's an ENTIRE country "Dominican Republic" thats connected to da cord to da heights, PLENTY of people dream of living in

our hispanic oasis inside NYC...non of that big box bland retail market chain that looks likes da rest da nowhere, usa.

living in NYC period is dream for billions of people around da world, so da fact that you can find people that are JUST like you

living uptown mahattan and you dont have to lose your culture in da process is straight of what dreams are made of.

and if you just are a fan of sexy women they're NO better spot in da city pound for pound.

ill take a neighborhood with RICH culture >>>> bland culture any day of da week.

There are really inappropriate jokes that can be made about the quality of life in DR and Columbia but I'm not gonna make them.

laugh.gif

There are really inappropriate jokes that can be made about the quality of life in DR and Columbia but I'm not gonna make them.
and you would be playing right into my point....my family had money and **** in DR, so they came here easy, but when you someone

that doesnt have ANYTHING let alone a pot to piss in, and then you're transported to NYC to jackson heights, or wash heights its like

hitting da lottery to alot of those folks...keeping your culture in a hispanic enclave, and enjoying da best of what NYC has to offer? pssh

where do you lose?

laugh.gif

and you would be playing right into my point....my family had money and **** in DR, so they came here easy, but when you someone

that doesnt have ANYTHING let alone a pot to piss in, and then you're transported to NYC to jackson heights, or wash heights its like

hitting da lottery to alot of those folks...keeping your culture in a hispanic enclave, and enjoying da best of what NYC has to offer? pssh

where do you lose?
laugh.gif
 That's crazy after 9 pages of debate he admits to everything I've said ...so we're in agreement about "Da Heights", however that really shows the band wagon mentally some NT'ers possess. Especially those that sided against what I was saying.

It was never about NYC, it was never about Da Heights ...it was about attacking Nomad. 
laugh.gif

It's cool my avy is what it is and will always be for THIS reason.  Being alone in opinion doesn't make you wrong or weak. But it does display the amount of strength it takes to stand your ground in debate.

Gotta somewhat agree with Ninja, culture/history/tradition can mean a lot to some people, everything isn't about $$$. That sense of community is priceless to some.

Not a shot at Ninja but I don't think he will ever leave "Da Heightz" :lol:

I would feel like the world would lose it's balance.

laugh.gif
the nomad is a known troll, dude aint even from NYC. hes a typical lame that moved to NYC to be hip and cool. you make bryant gumbel look like malcolm x kid.

take your zesty *** to terror ave in hempstead and tell them "you're not a REAL new yorker, you're from the suburbs!"

jew york city is the most overrated place on the planet. softest city in the country too.

using your entire trust fund to rent (not even own) a hole in the wall
laugh.gif
aint nobody got room for that

Someone actually agreed with this clown. No one is running to Cleveland. The only time you make the national news is when you lose which is synonymous with the city. Y'all birth and breed em.

We've lost sight of what the point of the thread was. Of course, there are going to be some ****** apartments across the city, what do you expect? Some building are just plain old, and sometimes the landlords refuse to renovate due to high cost and rent control. Then again, the city is heavily populated, so you can't expect everyone to live in decent quarters. Whether someone would want to live in a dirty ***, rodent infested apartment, in a dangerous area, that decision is solely up to the individual to decide. I know I won't. Plus, I can't justify paying $2000+ a month for a one bedroom apartment, that's practically a hole in the wall. On the other hand, you've got your gems sprinkled across the city. If you live in a nice rent-controlled apartment that's been in your family's possession for 30+ years, then that's considered an opportunity, and a chance to live in one of the greatest cities in the world without paying rape prices. You'd be a fool to give that opportunity up. I believe that's the point Ninja tries to get across to ya'll many times. This situation doesn't necessarily have to be situated in Da Heightz, it can be anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom